• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UnderRail |OT| The Fallout 3 you've waited 17 years for

Purkake4

Banned
Yup, can't wait for more content. Underrail is really stellar, especially for a tiny no name company's first showing. Also mad props for the post-release support, there's been like 10+ patches and now a big expansion coming,

It has 67,085 ± 7,599 owners on steam, which is quite good compared to say Serpent in the Staglands (which is also great) at 9,005 ± 2,784.

bati

70k is a pretty nice number but we also have to remember that they were selling the game for 15€ and 8€ when it was still in EA. That's completely bonkers for a game of this size and quality. Then again, they are based in Serbia so maybe that money will be enough to keep them in business for a few years. I really hope we get UnderRail 2 someday.

Purkake4

Banned
Jetskis coming in the expansion.

JetskiTrail.gif

VehicleWindow.PNG

It helps when you run out of psi points. Get like guns or whatever.

I wouldn't recommend it. You can't afford to waste perk slots in this game.
Ok because that's what I did and then I got stuck in the test range tutorial since I didn't know how to use them lol

I couldn't drag them to the action bar or click on the bar and select them even though I had 15 in each skill?

Purkake4

Banned
Underrail still has ~2500 players in the last two weeks. Nice to see some long legs.

Looking forward to the expansion pack, the post-release support has been excellent.

bati

I'm waiting for the expansion before I dive into this game. Everything about it looks so cool, though.

Just start now man. It's one of the best RPGs ever made if you like (turn based) combat and exploration. Game is absolutely huge as it is. And you will want to restart anway because of the build variety. This is a game that 20-30 hours into campaign triggers your desire to check out other builds because of how deep the systems are.

StereoVsn

Just start now man. It's one of the best RPGs ever made if you like (turn based) combat and exploration. Game is absolutely huge as it is. And you will want to restart anway because of the build variety. This is a game that 20-30 hours into campaign triggers your desire to check out other builds because of how deep the systems are.
I thought expansion was going to bring QoL improvements as well as new builds, etc... That's why I am waiting personally although I actually bought the game a while back.

gar3

I thought expansion was going to bring QoL improvements as well as new builds, etc... That's why I am waiting personally although I actually bought the game a while back.
Same here. I too stopped playing a while back and just been waiting for the expansion to re-experience the game again. Plus, absence makes the heart grow fonder, heh.

Purkake4

Banned

Same here. I too stopped playing a while back and just been waiting for the expansion to re-experience the game again. Plus, absence makes the heart grow fonder, heh.
They added a bunch of QoL stuff and balance with the last patch like a year ago. I think the expansion is supposed to be a new area with some more equipment/powers/mechanics.

Purkake4

Banned
New dev diary:

Hi guys. I did some changes regarding veteran levels which I originally introduced back in October.

First of all, player will continue to receive the normal amount of skill points when leveling up even on veteran levels now. Also, dervied stats such as health, detection and such will scale normally on veteran levels as well. However, players will also gain a feat every even level instead of every level when leveling on veteran levels. So basically everything is going to work as with normal levels with the exception of the feat pool being expanded with veteran feats once you hit veteran levels.

Allowing of the further skill scaling beyond the 25th level, however, requires us to provide some use for such high skill levels, particularly in crafting. To address this, the end-game areas and stores will have some of its loot/stock scaled up if the Expedition DLC is installed, particularly when it comes to crafting components. In the future, we also intend to address the problem of other non-combat skill scaling (such as social skills and hacking/lockpicking) by adding high level encounters/opportunities, so while currently it might not make sense to max out these skills, in the future it will have benefits.

However, the second, and more important change, is that on veteran levels you'll also get three specialization points.

Specialization.gif

You use these specialization points to further improve your non-veteran feats, often across specific dimension, as demonstrated in the GIF above. Your investment of points in any given specialization cannot exceed your veteran level (or the maximum allowed points for that specialization).

That's it for now. Let us know how you like these changes.

prudislav

Dev Log #55: Global Map
http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=3237.0

As you can see on the screenshots, maps will (usually, but not always) record and display what useful (or not so useful) creatures and plants you've encountered there as well as other points of interest (merchants, doctors, certain quest objects). These will not be updated after the initial encounter and do not always represent the actual state of the map, but are rather meant to be used as useful auto-notes for harvesting organs and plants and such. They will typically not record robotic and human enemies. You can also add your own notes to the map. A lot of static features of the map will also reveal themselves as you explore the map so that you won't automatically know, for example, if there's a power generator on that map immediately after entering.

The map will be available in the next updated which will be released sometime before the DLC which is going to be released when it's ready. But on a serious note, I do hope to release a new update on the experimental branch at least in the near future so you guys can play with all the new stuff that we've added over the months and we can finally get this huge pile of patch notes off of our shoulders (and replace them with bug reports).

map2.jpg
finally \O/

bati

That's huge. I know a lot of people who refused to give the game a chance because it didn't have a map.

StereoVsn

That's huge. I know a lot of people who refused to give the game a chance because it didn't have a map.
I bought the game a while back but have been waiting for the expansion and accompanying updates. Having a map is a necessary feature. Good that they have included it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just having a map (that you can makes notes on) is going to make the deep cavens a 1000% less annoying.

zeb

Neo Member
Yeah, will it work on my save? Can't say I've missed the map though. Still haven't finished the game, the last part is really tough but I mostly play it on vacations. 60 hours so far. Might finish it on my normal time though just to play expansion.

Edit: so the expansion is not stand alone or at the point of no return. I'm glad that I haven't got far in the last dungeon.

Sarcasm

Yeah, will it work on my save? Can't say I've missed the map though. Still haven't finished the game, the last part is really tough but I mostly play it on vacations. 60 hours so far. Might finish it on my normal time though just to play expansion.

Edit: so the expansion is not stand alone or at the point of no return. It's glad that I haven't got far in the last dungeon.

Wait what, the expansion affects the main game?

fermcr

Played this game for 10-15 hours. Good game with clear influences of original Fallout games...but without a decent map, the game become annoying as hell. Maps available online were crap.

It's been a couple of years since I last played. Might give another go when maps are implemented.

bati

Been playing nothing but UnderRail for the past few days and it's just like playing it for the first time, a thoroughly wonderful experience. I found myself experimenting with different builds once again but my highest so far is the crossbow user which is level 19 on Hard mode. Speaking of Hard - it's hard. A lof of encounters were rebalanced, the AI is now a little smarter and it's generally very challenging. I'm running my latest campaign on Normal (just testing a psi monk build) and the difference between Hard and Normal is very noticeable.

Also, the new map is AMAZING. It has support for custom notes which is a huge help when it comes to exploration. Enter a new area, scout for exits, mark them under notes and then start exploring. I encourage everyone who was on the fence about this game because of the map to give it a try. You simply won't find a single character rpg with better tactical combat or exploration.

bati

Yeah, but the update that came out recently is substantial enough to warrant a new playthrough imo.

bati

Gotta love crossbows, so much versatility. I'm basically playing 3 different builds right now (crossbows, psi-monk and smg spec ops) and I keep coming back to this one - what can I say, I like big crits and I cannot lie. Overall it seems very well suited for Hard difficulty, although there were some sections with crit immune enemies (end of Foundry main quest for example) that forced me to improvise.

staen

Dev log #57: The Rig

In order to wrap up the geographical consistency of the base game, we had to create a number of water maps that connect SGS, Junkyard, Core City, Camp Hathor, and the Black Sea. In the expansion the player will be able to traverse and explore these maps with his jet ski, but he won't be the only one as a number of factions also utilize these waters, such as Protectorate, Black Eels, and Black Sea pirates. Also encounters with random sea bandits are not uncommon.

The most powerful naval faction in the South Underrail is, of course, the Black Eels. Their naval platform The Rig is perfectly positioned to facilitate the trade between different stations as well as their own scrap exporting business. The Rig is also used to control the central body of water of the Lower Caves in order to fend off pirates. This place will be vital for pirate missions that the player will be able to take part in if he chooses to ally with the them in the expansion.

The Rig missions are not 100% complete yet, but will be soon. After that we'll be returning to the Black Sea to wrap up and polish off the maps we made so far and integrate them into the global map. And then we still have two more areas to develop - the villages of the savage natives and the final dungeon.

Let us know how you like the aesthetics of the new areas.

Cheers.

The announcement of jetskis didn't do much for me at first but being able to traverse these previously unseen areas with it has me kind of excited. I like it when expansions actually expand the world rather than just feeling like an addon completely separate from the main game.

bati

Heh, wanted to post this yesterday but thought the update didn't seem meaty enough. I'm still sooo excited for the expansion though, UnderRail is easily one of my favorite rpgs of the last 10 years (and even all time) and I can't wait to explore more of it.

Also, if anyone's still on the fence and wants to get into the game but doesn't like crafting - I recently went through the game with a psi-monk and it was a fantastic experience. Good melee damage, excellent CC thanks to Thought Control abilities, Locus of Control, stealth, enough persuasion, lockpicking and hacking to pass every check in the game - one of the most fun characters I've played. Not having to constantly scour merchant inventories for crafting components also saved a ton of time. I ended up using The Claw unique weapon which can be obtained pretty early into the game (once access to Core City opens) so I could pair it with Taste for Blood feat, but the build works just as well using fists alone and swapping TfB for something else. Here's how my final build looked like: link (note that feats aren't in order you take them).

klosos

I've been trying to find time to get around to this, i am a massive crpg fan so this should be right up my alley. Thanks for the reminder thread

bati

Game's currently 50% because of Steam Sale. If you have even a passing interest in rpgs and/or turn based combat games, do yourself a favor and pick up this gem of game.

Top Bottom