• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale at nearly 1 million copies sold (SteamSpy)

Lijik

Really?
So game play means nothing anymore?

Gameplay certainly means a lot, but the characters in this game are so fully realized that people really connect to them. A lot of this games enduring popularity is because of that. Sometimes this even goes hand in hand with the gameplay! Minor enemy spoilers:
One of my favorite random encounters is a comedian who tells bad ice puns. The way you get through this fight peacefully is to laugh at his joke at the right time. Its super charming stuff

peakish

Undertale is one of those games that I probably would enjoy but that repel me with their visual style. Everything I've seen about it so far sends shivers down my spine, and not in a nice way. It makes me feel uncomfortable. I don't know much about it, so that may actually be the game's point, but it just doesn't suit me somehow (even if it was the point).

Well, at least, if I ever get around to it and actually end up liking it, I know that I won't have to feel bad for not supporting the developer when the game was recent, since it's already a resounding success.
I can totally see why. Still, there's some lovely character art in it even if it's not always visible in the overworld.

Picking it up later is probably good, I generally don't think it's a good idea to play games when they're super hot and I'm not entirely convinced it's for me. Better to come at it once the hype has calmed down.

mothball

image.php

The only blatant internet humor is temmie.

and that painfully long part with that dinosaur whose name i forgot going full tumblr for an entire chapter

not knowing when to stop seems to be a recurring theme with the game's humor now that i think about it
a far cry from the more reserved humor of earthbound that people love to make comparisons to

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
and that painfully long part with that dinosaur whose name i forgot going full tumblr for an entire chapter

not knowing when to stop seems to be a common theme with the game's humor now that i think about it
a far cry from the more reserved humor of earthbound that people love to make comparisons to

I honestly don't get the comparison since while it does pay some homage to and is inspired by EB it's largely it's own thing.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

not knowing when to stop seems to be a common theme with the game's humor now that i think about it

Alphys, and I think the character is intentionally annoying.

MrBadger

Well deserved. It was definitely my favourite game last year and I'm happy to see such a well realised vision become such a big success. Truly inspiring.

Wat? It's a thread about Undertale, we're just answering your questions.

This must be the unbearable Undertale fanbase in action.

Ferrio

Banned

The character was suppose to be unbearably annoying. I hate the character, but I have to give it to Toby for actually conveying that so well.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
No, the humor is more natural.

Eh, I kinda disagree. I mean, they don't blatantly play sport air horns or scream "Oh baby a triple!" anywhere in there, but it's definitely internetty in its humor for a good portion of the game, especially the latter half which is basically one big social media joke.

Really?
So game play means nothing anymore?

Some people like Undertale's gameplay, but that wasn't my point. Good/interesting characters & story are much more likely to go viral and lead to mass market success than good gameplay mechanics are. There's a TON of Undertale character fan art out there each of which helps spread the word about the game. When gameplay does get shared around, it usually has a story hook to it (you can hack the game world itself in Axiom Verge!) but even then, it's much less viral.

It's not like your average person goes around saying "The formation system in Legend of Legacy is an elegant solution to fundamental issues in turn-based traditional RPG combat!" to try to entice their friends to play it. Well, maybe I do, but I'm odd that way.

Really? With the hype around it, i actually thought it's more. Like a lot. Not undeserved though, congrats!

It's 4 months old and hasn't even had a 50% off sale yet. 1 million sales is HUGE for an indie title. Not only that but sales are steady - it has been in Steam's Top 25 Best Sellers list almost the entire time since it came out.

A-V-B

The character was suppose to be unbearably annoying. I hate the character, but I have to give it to Toby for actually conveying that so well.

Yeah.
Alphys is sort of pathetic. But the way that she's flawed is not like.. the writing is flawed. She's a genuinely good flawed character, and I think a lot of fans miss that and prefer to think of her as "cute lesbian dinosaur." When she's actually a really messed up person. (and a cute lesbian dinosaur???)

Kangi

Yeah.
Alphys is sort of pathetic. But the way that she's flawed is not like.. the writing is flawed. She's a genuinely good flawed character, and I think a lot of fans miss that and prefer to think of her as "cute lesbian dinosaur." When she's actually a really messed up person. (and a cute lesbian dinosaur???)

Cute bisexual dinosaur

DNAbro

Some people like Undertale's gameplay, but that wasn't my point. Good/interesting characters & story are much more likely to go viral and lead to mass market success than good gameplay mechanics are. There's a TON of Undertale character fan art out there each of which helps spread the word about the game. When gameplay does get shared around, it usually has a story hook to it (you can hack the game world itself in Axiom Verge!) but even then, it's much less viral.

It's not like your average person goes around saying "The formation system in Legend of Legacy is an elegant solution to fundamental issues in turn-based traditional RPG combat!" to try to entice their friends to play it. Well, maybe I do, but I'm odd that way.

Undertale's gameplay is easily sharable. I can show someone a gameplay segment of certain fights and it looks cool and it's easily understandable. Most RPGs don't have that. Try and make most turn based RPGs cool, shit is difficult.

Okay I'm back with the First impressions of the demo
Uvvjmwj.png

why did the demo disconnect me from my wifi settings and If you look at the image
why is there an invisible wall there ( or how do I actually go in there) last but not least is there a sprint button?

A-V-B

Okay I'm back with the First impressions of the demo
Uvvjmwj.png

why did the demo disconnect me from my wifi settings and If you look at the image
why is there an invisible wall there ( or how do I actually go in there) last but not least is there a sprint button?

Yeah, that room is fixed in the final version. Part of why I recommended it.

Just take that dotted path on the bottom right

Dryk

Wat? It's a thread about Undertale, we're just answering your questions.
We are also a cult, but that's purely a coincidence

IIRC, all the income from the game is going directly to charities. The only money Toby makes is through the Soundtrack (which is really worth)
A soundtrack which is well worth buying

Alphys, and I think the character is intentionally annoying.
I'm not sure if the intent with Alphys is for her to be annoying. But she is intentionally a massive dork with horrible social skills and anxiety issues which many people obviously find annoying. As a massive dork with horrible social skills and anxiety issues myself I mostly just pitied her I guess.

Acerac

Banned
Well earned!

Word of mouth has helped this game so much. I wonder how many more copies it'll eventually move.

What method best marketed your Kickstarter and upcoming game?

We've been primarily using the trusted combination of name dropping (like Chrono Trigger meets Phantasy Star and Lunar!), high quality asset sharing (screenshots & music), and frequent updates on Kickstarter & Twitter. Also helps a lot that we've slowly built up a fanbase from several years of releasing RPGs. I also have some ideas for doing a story in our trailer that I think will work out well (and it helps that we have so much more to work with for the trailer than we did with our past stuff).

I don't actually like Undertale (it's very good for what it is, but what it is isn't the type of game I like to play - soundtrack is awesome though) but as a very different take on the indie RPG that is seeing massive success, both critically and commercially, I've been watching its performance closely with great interest. I think a lot of developers will mistakenly take it as showing market interest in indie JRPGs when despite outward appearances, Undertale is like the anti-JRPG of games.

A-V-B

No more eating spaghetti everyday anymore. Nah that's probably still the same.

He made a statement on Twitter. Something to the effect of "now instead of buying store-brand cereals, I'm buying official mainstream brands."

So it sounds like he's living as he always does, just... not poor.

Veldin

When this game was released I was a little worried that it wouldn't see the success it deserved. Fortunately it only took a week or two to realize it was gonna be huge.

It's an extremely memorable and inspiring game that made me happy.

Ultimadrago

We've been primarily using the trusted combination of name dropping (like Chrono Trigger meets Phantasy Star and Lunar!), high quality asset sharing (screenshots & music), and frequent updates on Kickstarter & Twitter. Also helps a lot that we've slowly built up a fanbase from several years of releasing RPGs. I also have some ideas for doing a story in our trailer that I think will work out well (and it helps that we have so much more to work with for the trailer than we did with our past stuff).

I don't actually like Undertale (it's very good for what it is, but what it is isn't the type of game I like to play - soundtrack is awesome though) but as a very different take on the indie RPG that is seeing massive success, both critically and commercially, I've been watching its performance closely with great interest. I think a lot of developers will mistakenly take it as showing market interest in indie JRPGs when despite outward appearances, Undertale is like the anti-JRPG of games.

Nice! I'm sure GAF will look forward to the trailer.

And yeah, I recall your thoughts on it from past threads, but that answers why you've been in so many of them! Haha. It is indeed very anti-JRPG at its core. I'm not sure which space that comes from as far as toby since he seems to love JRPGs, but at the same time hates things about them (generally speaking). It sounds similar to my thoughts on them, but his are very extreme when coming to traits like grinding and great length in playtime, for example. These beliefs are applied in Undertale and I'm not sure how exactly I receive it still. I don't find them necessarily bare improvements on the genre itself, but I appreciate that it was done (in the way it was), if that makes sense.

It is indeed very anti-JRPG at its core. I'm not sure which space that comes from as far as toby since he seems to love JRPGs, but at the same time hates things about them (generally speaking). It sounds similar to my thoughts on them, but his are very extreme when coming to traits like grinding and great length in playtime, for example. These beliefs are applied in Undertale and I'm not sure how to take it still.

"I have played so many RPGs that the basic motions (keep your party buffed and use the enemy's weakness) aren't fun to me now. To keep myself interested, I need to have something else. That's where a interactive battle system comes in. You know, the kind pioneered by Super Mario RPG. But I wanted something more complex than pressing a button at a certain time. So -- inspired by Touhou and WarioWare -- I created a system of bite-sized bullet patterns."

Those kinds of battle systems are a pet peeve of mine - most of the time, they feel like they're trying to cover up a lack of strategic depth with mini-games & reflex-based actions (exception: Shadow Hearts is great). Undertale's combat is a bit different in that there's no traditional RPG strategy at all - each battle is a self-contained text-based puzzle mixed with a shmup.

Top Bottom