• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale (PS4/Vita) |OT| Sans Keyboard

Ferrio

Banned
Spoilering just in case:
The part at the end when you get to ASGORE's home I really thought was about to go into something legitimately emotional and grounded, but... no.

This issue might be resolved if you play again, both passive/genocide runs add quite a bit (and some of the best music in the game). Getting passive isn't so hard if you didn't kill anyone in you neutral run, you can just reload a save from right before the end and complete the additional bits.

PSqueak

Banned
The game just tries too hard to have the quirkiness of the Mother series without realizing that it runs deeper than just "haha that airplane has a hat on".

You absolutely missed the joke of that character.

Not that it would be funny to most people, but i mean, it is more than "the airplane has a hat".

Yukinari

You absolutely missed the joke of that character.

Not that it would be funny to most people, but i mean, it is more than "the airplane has a hat".

Theres a lot of enemies in Undertale that i "get", doesnt mean the game deserves the comparisons to a much better series.

Mother 1 has aged horribly but you know.

Theres a lot of enemies in Undertale that i "get", doesnt mean the game deserves the comparisons to a much better series.

But see this is what you think not what others think and others think that it does. But others also think that it doesn't so it's all based on opinions.

If it doesn't click with you that's fine. That doesn't mean that it doesn't deserve the praise it just means that to you is not as good as the original.

Yukinari

But see this is what you think not what others think and others think that it does. But others also think that it doesn't so it's all based on opinions.

If it doesn't click with you that's fine. That doesn't mean that it doesn't deserve the praise it just means that to you is not as good as the original.

I just feel like im going through the motions with this game after playing it once already on PC.

It REALLY is not as good the 2nd time. Fantastic music and bosses are the highlight.

Heard really good things about Undertale, and never played it when it first came out, so I picked it up today as an impulse buy. I like quirky / different things, especially when it's funny and well written, which I hear it is, so it seemed like a no brainer to buy it now it's on PS4 and Vita with cross buy.

JonnyKong

From what I've played so far I think whether or not this game is going to click depends on if the quirky sense of humour is for you. Fortunately it has clicked with me so I'm really enjoying it, but I can totally get some people playing this and just not understanding the hype, especially as the gameplay is pretty basic.

OniBaka

Just finished the
spider
boss after the lava area.

All the characters have so much charm, nothing too crazy going on yet but I can see the comparison to Nier Automata now with the bullet hell sections.

Gattsu25

Banned
Early game spoilers like first 40 minutes.

That flower really freaked me out at the start, what a troll.

I accidentally killed toriel and reloaded my save but the game still knew I killed her before then that flower rubs that fact in. What are the point of save points if the game remember these stuff. I'm going guess the save points act as a kind of time travel mechanic.

What did I get myself into.

Also the Nier Automata folks recommend me to get this game and only reason I didn't was because it was only on PC.

Have fun :)

JackDT

Finished my neutral run.
Game just didn't click with me. The humor didn't land for me (maybe I'm just too old :/) and the 'charm' I heard so much about was just too goofy to be endearing. Maybe it's that goofiness that is endearing to some people? I dunno...

Spoilering just in case:
Things like Alphys annoying status updates/texts... I KNOW they were supposed to be annoying, but goddamn...
Mettaton and anything having to do with that piece of shit was just obnoxious. No fun allowed, I know, it just didn't work with me.
The part at the end when you get to ASGORE's home I really thought was about to go into something legitimately emotional and grounded, but... no.

Music was great, but that's really my primary compliment. All the "a new generation's Earthbound" comments I've seen over the years just seems like hyperbole. This game doesn't have shit on Earthbound... or Mother 3, even on a base creative level.
There's a strong foundation there for Fox to work on with an Undertale 2 (larger dev team, higher budget), but bookend to bookend this game just felt like a little independent kickstarter project. Nothing wrong with that, but I expected more. My own fault. By comparison, as an overall production by mostly a single person chasing that 16-bit retro craze, Stardew Valley was far more impressive to me.

In the end I'm glad I experienced it and I imagine I'll enjoy the OST for years to come, but overall it just wasn't my thing.
Maybe I'll try for the pacifist run. ;)

You don't need to replay the whole game for the pacifist run, if you were already going pacifist. Just the last few hours. It's worth it!

Genocide run shows off a lot of interesting character building you miss otherwise but I couldn't get through it. Maybe worth youtubing some of the scenes/fights.

1upsuper

Mother 1 hasn't aged horribly at all. I hate to use this term, but it's one of the most "playable" Famicom RPGs.

Lynx_7

Mother 1 hasn't aged horribly at all. I hate to use this term, but it's one of the most "playable" Famicom RPGs.

I don't know man, Mt.Itoi is pretty rough, and the game is generally pretty directionless. If you're not very tolerant of high encounter rates it's definitely a difficult game to get into. Its charm goes a long way though and it's one of the best NES RPGs after DQ III and IV.

I have a quick question regarding the ending. I haven't played it on PS4 yet since I'm waiting for my physical copy, but I am curious (major ending spoilers)
How is the final fight handled with crashing? On the PC, it would crash to desktop and that was part of the game. Does it just exit to the title screen or what?

MrMatt555

Holy shit gaf...HOLY SHIT

I thought I was just gonna go on a date with undyne and now here I am in a whole new atmosphere that seems somewhat foreign to the rest of the game.
New area, new music, new enemies, new goal. I love it.

I had previously beaten it (neutral) on PC.

Im glad I went back in for another go! (PS4)

Toby really one upped most triple a devs who take the multiple ending route.

I may have to go in again after for genocide ending just to see what else is in store..

Ok, game's done.
I'm a fucking monster

A true modern masterpiece, I must say. I didn't get the real ending it seems. Any way to get it? Feel free to spoil me.

PSqueak

Banned
Ok, game's done.
I'm a fucking monster

A true modern masterpiece, I must say. I didn't get the real ending it seems. Any way to get it? Feel free to spoil me.

Pacifist ending:
-Don't kill anything
-Befriend Papyrus and Undyne
-After beating Flowey reload your game and go to the area in front of Alphy's lab
-You'll get a call from undyne, go to her and she'll give you a letter for Alphys
-Go on a date with Alphys
-After the date event go to Alphys' Lab and enter the "bathroom"
-Clear the dungeon
-Immediatedly after you'll be taken back to the Asgore fight and the real final boss fight will trigger

Genocide ending:
-Kill everything
-This means you cannot exit ANY zone until random encounters stop happening (because you killed them all)
-This triggers a different boss fight with Undyne and a boss fight with Sans in the end, they're ultra hard.

Neutral endings:

The neutral ending changes depending how much and who you kill, overally you get different endings for leaving different bosses alive, there is an ending for killing all random encounters and not the bosses or killing all the bosses but not the random encounters. There are like 10 variations of the neutral ending.

Pacifist ending:
-Don't kill anything
-Befriend Papyrus and Undyne
-After beating Flowey reload your game and go to the area in front of Alphy's lab
-You'll get a call from undyne, go to her and she'll give you a letter for Alphys
-Go on a date with Alphys
-After the date event go to Alphys' Lab and enter the "bathroom"
-Clear the dungeon
-Immediatedly after you'll be taken back to the Asgore fight and the real final boss fight will trigger

Genocide ending:
-Kill everything
-This means you cannot exit ANY zone until random encounters stop happening (because you killed them all)
-This triggers a different boss fight with Undyne and a boss fight with Sans in the end, they're ultra hard.

Neutral endings:

The neutral ending changes depending how much and who you kill, overally you get different endings for leaving different bosses alive, there is an ending for killing all random encounters and not the bosses or killing all the bosses but not the random encounters. There are like 10 variations of the neutral ending.

Oh good!
There are two more endings. One is...well let's just say you're gonna have a bad time.
Genocide
route sounds like a pain in the ass. Should I go
pacifist
first? Thanks for the responses!

PSqueak

Banned
Genocide
route sounds like a pain in the ass. Should I go
pacifist
first? Thanks for the responses!

You should go with what feels right for you, but yeah
Genocide was literally designed to be as unfun as possible save for the Undyne and Sans boss fights

Crayolan

Yes! The first four you get are awesome!

Don't Worry, I Have Lots of Ideas for Trophies: Get an Item
Like Getting Items: Get Two Items
Or Getting More Items: Get Three Items
Help Me, I'm Out of Ideas: Get Four Items

lmao I knew Toby would handle the trophies like this.

Guys you can do whatever you want but trust me, the best experience BY FAR is not killing anyone the first time.

Personally I think going in blind and making "mistakes" which you come to regret down the line, then going back and doing things "right" in a second playthrough makes for a better experience.

I've seen a lot of people have the experience ruined for them because they feel forced to play pacifist despite not really wanting to and the game being somewhat difficult if you play that way on your first playthrough, both in terms of survival and figuring out what you're supposed to do.

Holy shit gaf...HOLY SHIT

I thought I was just gonna go on a date with undyne and now here I am in a whole new atmosphere that seems somewhat foreign to the rest of the game.
New area, new music, new enemies, new goal. I love it.

I had previously beaten it (neutral) on PC.

Im glad I went back in for another go! (PS4)

Toby really one upped most triple a devs who take the multiple ending route.

I may have to go in again after for genocide ending just to see what else is in store..

If you were impressed with how different that ending was then you'll be really impressed by how different genocide is. Though you may want to consult a guide to attempt that route, it's not as simple as it sounds.

PSqueak

Banned
Also, for the
Genocide ending
, IIRC you have to
name your character Chara

You don't.

That's just the first child's canon name,
but it doesn't really matter.
For better effect you give them your name, that's what they represent.

RPGam3r

This game is neat, but I'm so bored. The pacifist route is just tedious, albeit I'm not sure killing things would make it better.

I'll try a bit longer.

Personally I think going in blind and making "mistakes" which you come to regret down the line, then going back and doing things "right" in a second playthrough makes for a better experience.

It's kind of a double edged sword. In general it's for the best to play how you want to and afterwards you see just how different the experience gets during a real Pacifist and possibly a
Genocide
run. Also, this way you really notice
how your actions during previous runs have a lasting effect.
But on the other hand, a lot of people probably just go "Nah, I'm good." and won't bother playing twice in which case you're missing a lot of what makes the game great.

The game's structure is simultaneously one of the best things about it and one of its potential weaknesses. Same goes for the fact that it gets better as it goes along.

I have a number of friends who stopped after their first ending, and it was hard to convince them to go back without directly saying "the game isn't over; you saw an 'ending,' but it's actually part of the path to the true ending."

Ferrio

Banned
The game's structure is simultaneously one of the best things about it and one of its potential weaknesses. Same goes for the fact that it gets better as it goes along.

I have a number of friends who stopped after their first ending, and it was hard to convince them to go back without directly saying "the game isn't over; you saw an 'ending,' but it's actually part of the path to the true ending."

Ya, same challenge Nier:Automata had this year.

Reminds me of both NieR and Nier Automata.

EDIT: Dang. Beaten.

This game is neat, but I'm so bored. The pacifist route is just tedious, albeit I'm not sure killing things would make it better.

I'll try a bit longer.

I ended up uninstalling after 90 minutes or so. The humor got old fast, the gameplay is really boring to me, and I just wasn't having fun. The thought of playing another seven hours of this was simply more than I could take.

I don't think I have ever actively disliked playing a game as much as I did that. Happy that others enjoyed it but I hated it so much that I am giving actual thought to writing the developer and asking for my money back. :(

So, I've been playing the game not killing anything, about an hour in or so, and...I dont get EXP ever, so I'm kind of...stuck at 20 health? Am I never going to get any exp?

Phazon_Chaos

Neo Member
So, I've been playing the game not killing anything, about an hour in or so, and...I dont get EXP ever, so I'm kind of...stuck at 20 health? Am I never going to get any exp?

Nope. The only way to get EXP is by killing monsters. Early on enough you do gain access to an inn, and sleeping at an inn temporarily raises your HP to 10 above your max, so that helps a bit, but other than that there's no way to increase you HP without gaining LV.

I mean exp is called
execution points
for a reason.
They are called that in this game? Hm, ok. Is there any other way to increase my health?
Edit: I see the post above. Guess this makes the game considerably harder. Though I can tell from the dialogue at the beginning they really don't want you to kill anything.

Fat4all

Banned

You only get exp for killing monsters, but there is a way to increase your maximum health temporarily.

In Snowdin, there's an Inn that will increase your max HP to 30, and it stays that way until you lose it. It may seem like a lot of money to do so, but do it anyways as you are never actually charged for that service (you get your money back right afterwards.)

I mean exp is called
execution points
for a reason.

:/

Kyuur

They are called that in this game? Hm, ok. Is there any other way to increase my health?
Edit: I see the post above. Guess this makes the game considerably harder. Though I can tell from the dialogue at the beginning they really don't want you to kill anything.

It does not, the game is balanced for it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, the game's difficulty remains fairly balanced and even late game enemies don't hit that hard, to counterbalance your meager 20 HP. The most difficult battles lie elsewhere.

Top Bottom