• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unity CEO: VR Will Get Huge, But Devs Need to Survive and Avoid Hype Until it Does

Green Yoshi

Sony needs to develop system sellers for PSVR and drop the price to 199$ eventually. Then it can get huge. A lot of PS4 owners are scared that PSVR will face the same destiny as PlayStation Move and PS Vita. No support from Sony anymore, but only from small studios.

Sony needs to develop system sellers for PSVR and drop the price to 199$ eventually. Then it can get huge. A lot of PS4 owners are scared that PSVR will face the same destiny as PlayStation Move and PS Vita. No support from Sony anymore, but only from small studios.

The problem I see with Sony is that system seller level quality on PSVR may be limited to a gamepad like RE:7. 360 degree turns don't work, and front facing and no analogs limit you to teleportation movement with motion controls.

And unfortunately motion controls is a huge thing for VR. Not saying good games can't utilize motion controls for PSVR, but I'm saying that it limits the associated game's capabilities by a good margin. Also not to say using a controller isn't preferred in some games, such as racers or space sims.

cakefoo

Are motion controls a better example?
It's a better example, but still not directly comparable, because even the best 6DOF motion control input with Playstation Move still felt like remotely operating a hand through a video feed. And the most sophisticated FPS's gave you an airmouse cursor in an attempt to mimick a lightgun, and the bounding box turning presented a major challenge when trying to aim at an enemy while trying to keep them onscreen.

Motion controls finally make sense in VR. The spacial presence is so accurate that I can toss a controller from outside VR to someone in VR, and they'll catch it. In an FPS you can aim, move and look independently- there's virtually nothing stopping you from feeling like the hero of your favorite action movie.

7uJ5eI6.gif

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's a better example, but still not directly comparable, because even the best 6DOF motion control input with Playstation Move still felt like remotely operating a hand through a video feed. And the most sophisticated FPS's gave you an airmouse cursor in an attempt to mimick a lightgun, and the bounding box turning presented a major challenge when trying to aim at an enemy while trying to keep them onscreen.

Motion controls finally make sense in VR. The spacial presence is so accurate that I can toss a controller from outside VR to someone in VR, and they'll catch it. In an FPS you can aim, move and look independently- there's virtually nothing stopping you from feeling like the hero of your favorite action movie.

7uJ5eI6.gif

That looks awesome!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
border said:
Blaming VR's failure on current hardware limitations is missing the point.
Is it though? Would you argue that mobile phones being giant bricks had nothing to do with their lack of early adoption(it took over 3 decades to get to iPhone) - and we're talking about a utility as opposed to pure luxury device too.
VR as it stands right now is at the stage personal computing hardware was in 1980 - and I invite you to look at combined hw sales from that era - it didn't look pretty.

More importantly people are skipping the part where AR gets constantly talked about (even by VR naysayers) as if it's a separate thing - 95% of the tech between the two is the same, so you can't have one progress without the other really.

Green Yoshi said:
Sony needs to develop system sellers for PSVR and drop the price to 199$ eventually.
I'm gonna go on a limb and predict here you'll see PSVR at 199$ or below when inevitable PSVR2 with Eye-tracking and 4x+ resolution hits the market. And I fully expect they'll support both devices in one ecosystem (assuming they are smart about it).

border

Is it though? Would you argue that mobile phones being giant bricks had nothing to do with their lack of early adoption(it took over 3 decades to get to iPhone) - and we're talking about a utility as opposed to pure luxury device too.
VR as it stands right now is at the stage personal computing hardware was in 1980 - and I invite you to look at combined hw sales from that era - it didn't look pretty.

People in the 90's would have been super impressed with even the primitive cell-phones, even if they were expensive and impractical in size. There's an incredible allure to that concept of always having your phone available. We used to marvel at my dad's car-phone.

Think about it like this -- people in the mid/early-90's could not afford dedicated 3D rendering hardware in their home. But they still flocked to the arcades for Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Daytona USA, etc. The machines were giant and bulky and not a great value proposition, but those games still became beloved and iconic. The enthusiasm for VR just seems nowhere near even that. There is no VR equivalent for VF or Daytona. There is nobody looking to spend $1/play for VR titles. The barrier for VR acceptance is more than just cost/practicality of a rig. I certainly don't discount the cost issues, I just see them as subordinate to the problem of low-enthusiasm.

cakefoo

People in the 90's would have been super impressed with even the primitive cell-phones, even if they were expensive and impractical in size. There's an incredible allure to that concept of always having your phone available. We used to marvel at my dad's car-phone.

Think about it like this -- people in the mid/early-90's could not afford dedicated 3D rendering hardware in their home. But they still flocked to the arcades for Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Daytona USA, etc. The machines were giant and bulky and not a great value proposition, but those games still became beloved and iconic. The enthusiasm for VR just seems nowhere near even that. There is no VR equivalent for VF or Daytona. There is nobody looking to spend $1/play for VR titles. The barrier for VR acceptance is more than just cost/practicality of a rig. I certainly don't discount the cost issues, I just see them as subordinate to the problem of low-enthusiasm.
Video game arcades are back – this time, with virtual reality for the masses
Prices range from $4.99 for walking the plank (with free tryouts for VR newbies) up to $39.95 for two or more players to reserve a booth for an hour.

This is pretty in line with the 2 arcades that opened near me in the past couple months.

Top Bottom