• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 4 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhelm

contribute something
They should get this person to play the Selhorys girl:

b49be7555b4dfbc1d5a0212a7cef1981-incredible-game-of-thrones-daenerys-cosplay.jpg

KingK

I loathed Book Daario. Not in a fun to hate way like Joffrey and such, just a shitty, obnoxious character that I couldn't fucking stand. I'm glad they decided to make him into someone I actually like.

Yeah, I fail to understand why so many people care about Daario enough to be so vocal about his actor. He's one of the shittier (and like you said, not in an interesting way) supporting characters in the books imo.

Who's talking about Drogo?

;)

Also, as someone pointed out & a continuation of my last post, Tyrion needs to be in Meereen by the time of the fighting pit. He's in the dungeons of King's Landing atm, it'll take at least one season from this season's end of him killing Tywin to get anywhere near Meereen and even then they'll have to somewhat rush him from his escape to being enslaved and then doing the dwarf act with Penny.

I'm hoping they don't include Penny.

She is pointless.

KingK

I'm hoping they don't include Penny.

She is pointless.

Eh, I didn't mind Penny at all really. I wouldn't be crushed if they cut her or anything, but I'm not actively hoping for them to do so.

I actually enjoyed Tyrion's ADWD chapters more than most I think. I enjoyed adventurous romp through Essos, and we got to see a lot of new locations which I think helped flesh out Essos as a continent a lot. Also, an adventure through the country meeting common folk scratched an itch left by the end of Arya's arc in book 3.

I finally got time to watch ep.3 last night and have to say I was pretty sad Strong Belwas isn't a character in this show. It ruined that whole challenge scene outside the city.

Ikael

That is just wildly unfair to me. The notion that the showrunner's obviously haven't done anything good is fairly insulting. Forget all the added scenes of Tywin and Olenna (even Jaime) that weren't in the book adding to their characterization, it's obviously only the actors responsible for making them more interesting.

I admitted in my earlier post that there are many things that the show has got it right. I am no show hater nor I consider myself to be a book purist, I do think that the show runners have been able to trim characters and storylines masterfully, even if that means that some of my personal favourites are out (Belwas T_T), and I think that they have a knack for tweaking and adapting Martin's plot that it's getting better with each passing season. I do not like to hold into things if that means getting in the way of telling a good story.

But whenever they have tried to get their own vision of the characters, they have worsened them. They didn't made them "different", they made them outright worse: more bidimensonal, less grey, less coherent, less believable, worse written. And furthermore, they have changed them in order to obtein a short sighted cheap shock value scene, or just to validate their pre-existing prejudices about them. I think that the only people who can view Cersei's rape as "coherent" with Jaime's character are the ones who already thought that Jaime was outside of any possible redemption the moment he pushed Bran from the window.

And yet the writers are all the same........there's no improv going on.

IMHO, the added scenes were good despite its writting, not thanks to it. For example, I think that the idea of substituting Bolton for Tywin during Ayra's staying at Harrenhall was genious, but its execution was made great due to the incredible chemistry between Maisey and Charles Dance and the delivery of their lines, not because the dialogue itself was memorable in any way.

Jaime and Cersei's relationship is screwed up. Incest is a disgusting behavior between humans, and I really don't think the creators of the show intended for Jaime Lannister to humiliate or defile his sister. It was more a "Fuck me already you stupid bitch." moment. Did they fail in conveying that? Absolutely. But you have to be pretty dense if you equate the show's portrayal of attempted rape in episode 1 (the tavern scene) with what Jaime and Cersei were doing.

I get were you are coming from. I have readed some of the the interviews to the directors they even said that it was suppoused to "become consensual towards the end". If that's their intention, they failed, since it is clear that for a big chunk of the viewers that Cersei's willingness was not properly conveyed. If so, directors and writters failed to potray that scene properly, and Jaime's character arc has been badly damaged (and Cersei's too) due to plain sheer incompetence, no matter how much I might try to rationalize that mistake by telling myself that it was intentional or that it will pay off in the end.

KingK

I finally got time to watch ep.3 last night and have to say I was pretty sad Strong Belwas isn't a character in this show. It ruined that whole challenge scene outside the city.

Yeah, didn't he take a shit on the body of the champion? I fucking love Strong Belwas.

KingK

Lol thanks, & you have one of the most recognizable avatars.

Yeah he took a shit and I believe wiped his ass with the guys cloak or something along those lines.

That's right. He also eats that entire bowl of poisoned locusts meant to kill dany and then just sleeps it off for a few days. Such a fucking badass.

I saw one the other day that said Howland Reed is the High Septon. Also that Ashara Dayne is Jojen and Meera's mother.

I've seen that theory (The Howland Reed = Sparrow theory). I actually like that one the best out of all the crazy theories out there. Not because I think it's a good plot twist, but it's just sooo crazy that if it was true, it'd just be super ridiculous.

DKehoe

I've seen that theory (The Howland Reed = Sparrow theory). I actually like that one the best out of all the crazy theories out there. Not because I think it's a good plot twist, but it's just sooo crazy that if it was true, it'd just be super ridiculous.

The idea is so ridiculous it's fun, that a Northern Lord would change his religion (I'm assuming he worships the old gods since he is from The North) and managed to go undercover as one of the most high profile positions in the kingdom without anyone recognising him,

I expect Howland to turn up at some point in the books because he is the only surviving person who was present at the Tower of Joy. He will be the one to reveal what happened there.

What was up with that rape scene? I don't recall Jaime ever raping his sister in the book. What was the point of that scene?! Jaime turned into a really likable character in the later books, yet the writers have botched that by making him a rapist. Seriously, wtf?

Real Hero

What was up with that rape scene? I don't recall Jaime ever raping his sister in the book. What was the point of that scene?! Jaime turned into a really likable character in the later books, yet the writers have botched that by making him a rapist. Seriously, wtf?
you might wanna check every post in this thread since the episode ended haha.

MIGHT be? I'm all against rape but murder is still a worse crime.

To clarify, I meant "might" as a way of equivocating the escalation, not the deeds themselves. As in, "you know, we could have the Hound knock this farmer out, but let's just murder him instead!" I don't think you can equivocate the two exactly, hence "might".

new daario sucked major ass.
episode 1 didn't show enough of him. so i kinda gave a wait and see approach/benefit of the doubt.

but man. last episode was supposed to be his time to shine.
but i see no flair. no showmanship. no arrogance.

just plain. plain. plain. even the wink was plain.
just imagine the horseface daario giving you that wink and smirk. i'd punch the screen

i no like.

generic stark man #12 is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom