• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 4 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
That, and honestly I don't blame them if they don't want to deal with extensive make up and CG for Reek. All that's really important is the mental effects Ramsay's torture has inflicted.

It's very important, besides, that he look like Theon for later.

It's very important, besides, that he look like Theon for later.

Why? I thought Yara barely recognizes him when they meet later.

Sorry to sound like a sadist but I think they should be utterly relentless in driving home Theon's transformation to the audience. They have an opportunity like no other.

It's a gradual transformation.

I stand totally corrected. I thought Ramsay was finished with him. I agree the actor is amazing either way, so...

Selner

I also disliked Thenns being made so cartoonish. I thought as the time went by GRRM made wildlings as a whole more sympathetic of a group. In the show they are brutes with no redeeming factors and the Thenns are for whatever reason the worst of them.

The change to the Thenns, and there basically being no "nice" wildlings north of the wall is going to cause some issues when we get to the point where Jon invites all of the wildlings to settle the Gift.

I'm guessing that all the Thenns are going to die attacking Castle Black.

Then we are going to see some scenes after Stannis stops Mance's attack showing the wildlings as "normal people".

And the Thenns being cast as totally bad basically takes out House Thenn. They'll probably invent some other wildling person for that role I imagine. Provided that role is important enough for the show that is.

And are we going to see Dalla, Val and Mance's son? or is that part cut out? I haven't been keeping up with casting to know who's in and who's out.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm somewhat disappointed in their portrayal of Reek. I heard he is described in the book as looking 40 years older after his torture, among other horrifying details. They have the biggest fucking budget of any TV series in the history of man. Why the fuck didn't their makeup artists cut loose?

The dude looks almost exactly the same, except with a limp. What a pacifist decision by the art crew. At least CG some of his teeth out!

To be fair, I understand Tyrion's scar is supposed to be hideous as well. But Reek is less excusable.

The point in the timeline when we are introduced to TheonReek in the books is far later than where the show is currently.

The show is currently portraying the stuff that we only hear about in the books through flashbacks.

He hasn't gotten to that point yet. He doesn't even need to, really.

I agree the cartoonish Thenns and their cannibalism feels like b-movie content. From a narrative perspective the wildlings are an obvious threat, and put multiple characters the audience cares about in danger. I understand the show wants an evil villain for the hero to defeat but come on. The arm cooking over the fire, telling a kid you're going to eat his parents...it's more comical than compelling of convincing. The threat alone should be enough for viewers, why the need to go overboard into campiness. Anything for a shock.

I wonder how they'll handle Tormund. Will he become best bros with Jon or will they change that.

I love those theories.

I like with the one how Dany ends up basically being the "villain" that would wind up screwing over the world by trying to destroy the Others and everyone ends up uniting to destroy her.

The only thing I can't really fathom with that first theory is how silly it would seem on the show, what with Jon being the new Night's King basically and taking an Other bride? Just the way the Others look on the show, seeing a female version of one and then marrying it doesn't seem remotely plausible. At least in the books they're described as more ethereal and sort of just like ice people, not the show where they're all scraggly and monster like.

deeTyrant

Speaking of dumb theories, these two reddit threads are weird but bring up some interesting points.

Stannis attempting to burn Dany is certainly plausible.

I really like how that first theory paints the others as something other than a ruthless killing force. As the poster points out; a purely evil entity isn't really GRRM's style.

Also what the theory implicates about Dany could be an interesting end game for her. I don't believe for a second that she'll ever have a triumphant heroic return to Westeros.

kris.

Banned
The only thing I can't really fathom with that first theory is how silly it would seem on the show, what with Jon being the new Night's King basically and taking an Other bride? Just the way the Others look on the show, seeing a female version of one and then marrying it doesn't seem remotely plausible. At least in the books they're described as more ethereal and sort of just like ice people, not the show where they're all scraggly and monster like.

this. i also don't like the idea that there's this big pact to leave the others and beyond-the-wall alone and somehow every single person over the course of time just forgot. that pact seems like it'd be a pretty big fucking deal.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Sophie Turner looked so hawt in that hooded cloak:

tumblr_n4ep0qflei1qzerjgo1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_n4ep0qflei1qzerjgo3_r1_500.gif

She'd make a good St. Alia of the Knife.

Drazgul

At least in the books they're described as more ethereal and sort of just like ice people, not the show where they're all scraggly and monster like.

Why would they be limited to just the one type, though. Maybe we haven't even seen the real Others yet, the zombies could just be the vanguard, the servants.

That reddit post is pretty cool. I don't believe Jon will marry an Other; however I like the idea that the Others built the Wall as a barrier between man and them. Martin has been asked about the seemingly evil nature of the Others and whether that contradicts his critique of Tolkien's "all good v all evil" narrative. He has said the Others are not evil incarnate and we'll learn about them in full.

The Jon becoming the Night's king and Dany as antagonist reminds of the "Ragnarok" theory:

http://gameofthronesandnorsemythology.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/ragnarok-song-of-ice-fire.html

Very cool stuff. I'm a little unsure about how Jon and Dany uniting to destroy the world would play out in practice, but still there's some interesting
connections there.

I like the points about Bloodraven and the Red Priests. Ever since the Red Priests sided with Dany and her dragon's I've thought the dragon's might not be a force for good after all.

Forkball

Yeah it's strangely ironic that the most sophisticated of the wildlings got turned into cannibals. Hell, the Thenns are very accepting of serving Jon because they "know how to kneel." Also when Davos goes to Skagos everyone will be like "cannibals AGAIN?"

Enosh

Yeah it's strangely ironic that the most sophisticated of the wildlings got turned into cannibals. Hell, the Thenns are very accepting of serving Jon because they "know how to kneel." Also when Davos goes to Skagos everyone will be like "cannibals AGAIN?"
I don't think Davos is with Stannis anymore once they get to castle black, he goes to that fat lord some point before iirc
edit: missed the everyone and read it as "davos will be "cannibals again"" stupid me

Hystzen

The only way could see Jon being Night King and marrying a Other is if Melisandre is actually a Other and her necklace changes her appearance similar to whole mance Ryder trick.

Even if melisandre is an Other I still would

Ambient80

I felt a little disappointed in the scene where Littlefinger explains to Sansa how he was involved with the purple wedding. It just felt way rushed and just odd. In the books he was very detailed and explained it well, but in the show it was "I did it because lol." I dunno, I just felt like it was a very weird scene, and I generally like the actor for Littlefinger.

MacNille

Banned
I felt a little disappointed in the scene where Littlefinger explains to Sansa how he was involved with the purple wedding. It just felt way rushed and just odd. In the books he was very detailed and explained it well, but in the show it was "I did it because lol." I dunno, I just felt like it was a very weird scene, and I generally like the actor for Littlefinger.

I found it hard to watch because of the fucking voice. It sounded awful.

mjc

Yeah I could buy the Others we've seen so far as being the first line, the foot soldiers. They could look different from the ruling Others that we haven't seen.

Speevy

Banned
Am I the only one not bothered by Aidan Gillen's voice?

Well, it's more to do with the fact that it doesn't fit into the world they've created because he's the only person who talks like that. It also doesn't befit the range of the actor portraying him.

Well, it's more to do with the fact that it doesn't fit into the world they've created because he's the only person who talks like that. It also doesn't befit the range of the actor portraying him.

Yeah, I thought Gillen was great in the Wire, and was surprised to learn that he was Irish. But his Littlefinger just seems really off.

GIllan was pretty bad with his accents most of the series. But I believe the reason he sounded so off this episode was because he was whispering. Remember he keeps telling Sansa that she needs to be quiet.

He didn't really explain much other than Dontos, but it looks like from the preview that they might be talking about it in more depth next episode.
Am I the only one not bothered by Aidan Gillen's voice?
It doesn't really bother me, but it is pretty obvious that he keeps changing his voice.
It didn't bother me at all, but I'm bad at noticing accents that are off. I also seem to be immune to poor car interior greenscreening, which has come up in a couple other shows recently. It drives people nuts, but it's never been an issue for me. *shrugs*
Mad Men says hi

Drazgul

It doesn't really bother me, but it is pretty obvious that he keeps changing his voice.

Not likely, but it'd be neat if it was intentional and it was the character doing it, sort of taking on different roles with different voices. And never revealing his own.

As someone who's first language isn't English I'm normally not bothered by inappropriate accents in tv shows or movies. But even I thought that Littlefinger sounded even stranger than usual.

On the other hand I find the accent of Shae very cringeworthy because she speaks with a typical German accent which sounds even weirder in that kind of fantasy setting.

dubq

I would like a final word on Littlefinger's accent, to be honest. Is it the directors directing him? Is something wrong with his throat? I have a hard time believing that Gillen would just keep changing the accent of his character without any kind of feedback from the showrunners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom