• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 4 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedShift

Maybe the Queen of Thorns was trying to poison someone else (so the obvious hints at her being Joffrey's poisoner are just misdirection but not completely imaginary stuff), but someone other than her managed to poison Joffrey first and whoever QoT was trying to poison was saved in the aftermath of Joffrey's poisoning (at that point she'd probably be wise enough to delay her poisoning, as two possibly important characters dying at the same time would make the Tyrells too suspicious). Or both were trying to kill Joffrey and maybe the possible mystery poisoner just made it first before QoT, so while she might've had the intent of killing Joffrey, she didn't actually do it and someone else did. Those are the only ways it would make sense for Queen of Thorns to not be the actual poisoner of Joffrey.

Or it could be that there are simply some surprising factors behind the poisoning and not just the Tyrells wanting to save Margaery from this monster of a human being, like say Tywin being a part of it all after noticing Joffrey being a horrible person & king. or something

Actually... Maerg was drinking from the same cup, as Mace kept pointing out afterwards. It would have been incredibly risky for Ollena to put the poison in the cup without at least telling her granddaughter "You really don't want to drink out of that from now on". There's a much simpler solution, she gives Maergery the poison. She has much better access to the cup anyway, she'd have way more chances to drop it in.

That scene where Sansa goes to lunch with the two of them makes it clear they're working together on the whole 'should she marry Joff' thing. Maybe this was their conclusion.

The show seems to contradict this with that scene with the two of them last episode but I could see it having happened in the books.

I just realized Lilly Allen's song Alfie is about Alfie Allen (Theon).

The music video is soo goofy.

I only saw it a few months ago and yeah it is... I wasn't familiar with her outside of seeing the name a few times so I was completely ignorant of the fact that she's his sister until I think I saw a news story or something about the song and video.

IiFnWPg.jpg

TCRS

Banned
tumblr_n4d5ns95Tf1qdnln1o2_250.gif
tumblr_n4d5ns95Tf1qdnln1o1_250.gif

tumblr_n4d5ns95Tf1qdnln1o3_250.gif
tumblr_n4d5ns95Tf1qdnln1o4_250.gif

tumblr_n4d5ns95Tf1qdnln1o6_250.gif
tumblr_n4d5ns95Tf1qdnln1o5_250.gif

didn't even notice that look tywin gives cersei. you need to heed your wise counsellors he tells tommen while taking him away from cersei.

AkuMifune

Banned
tumblr_n4d5ns95Tf1qdnln1o4_250.gif

didn't even notice that look tywin gives cersei. you need to heed your wise counsellors he tells tommen while taking him away from cersei.

Ok, let's try to NOT get this one poisoned mmmkay?

Poor Tywin. Finally getting a handle on things. I almost feel sorry for the guy.

Almost.

Linkyn

Ok, let's try to NOT get this one poisoned mmmkay?

Poor Tywin. Finally getting a handle on things. I almost feel sorry for the guy.

Almost.

I found it really striking to see this man who comes across as this power-hungry schemer being revealed as the only thing holding it all together. I mean, it is really gratifying to see both Geoffrey and him die after the Red Wedding, but it would probably have been better for the Seven Kingdoms if Cersei hadn't stepped in to fill the void he left.

Then again, even if Tyrion hadn't killed him, I'm sure Varys would have taken care of him somehow. Gotta prepare for that invasion.

RedShift

The Other Thread said:
Oberyn in so little time might be one of my favorite characters already. I really hope he lives off for a long time.

DusilAC.gif

Episode 8 is going to be brilliant. He's doing it he's doing it... oh nope he's dead and Tyrion is condemned to die. Then the next episode entirely at the wall as well.

I found it really striking to see this man who comes across as this power-hungry schemer being revealed as the only thing holding it all together. I mean, it is really gratifying to see both Geoffrey and him die after the Red Wedding, but it would probably have been better for the Seven Kingdoms if Cersei hadn't stepped in to fill the void he left.

Then again, even if Tyrion hadn't killed him, I'm sure Varys would have taken care of him somehow. Gotta prepare for that invasion.

Well if you buy the 'Oberyn poisoned Tywin' theory Tyrion actually saved him from a slow agonising death.

rando14

DusilAC.gif

Episode 8 is going to be brilliant. He's doing it he's doing it... oh nope he's dead and Tyrion is condemned to die. Then the next episode entirely at the wall as well.

Oh yeah that death is going to be awesome. And he dies so brutally too, sheeeeit can't wait for the reactions!!

I LOVED that scene, may have been one of my favourites that Dance has done on the show. After such a traumatizing experience for the both of them, Tywin has no qualms about essentially kidnapping Cersei's only remaining son under the guise of a grandfatherly history lesson. Hard not to feel really bad for Cersei here.

Valhelm

contribute something
How will the show handle the Frey pies?

Probably without any subtlety. But it could be great!

We'll see the wedding. Freys are passed out drunk. Wyman says to Wylis, as they feast on pies, "You can't say much about those Freys, but they certainly have good taste. Would you like another meat pie?"

RedShift

How will the show handle the Frey pies?

Probably without any subtlety. But it could be great!

Y2xoYEW.jpg

"Oh, relax my Lords. I've got a gut feeling the Freys are around here somewhere.

(starts to laugh)

After all, isn't there a little Frey in all of us?

(laughs harder)

In fact, you might say we just ate the Freys and they're in our stomachs right now!

(laughs, then realizes his faux pas)

Wait. Scratch that one."

-griffy-

Banned
DusilAC.gif

Oh that's a great point. People are going to sit through an entire episode, two weeks, thinking Tyrion will be executed without even seeing him.

desh

The Other Thread said:
I was thinking this is possible actually, because if Tywin is promising Oberyn a "meeting" with the Mountain, he may be able to facilitate it by having the Mountain being the Champion against Tyrion. Oberyn can thus fight for Tyrion and get a chance at his revenge.

Not exactly sure of Tywin's motives under this scenario, because it really depends on whether he wants to save Tyrion. Or maybe he doesn't care about Tyrion's fate either way, and if that is the case, it's kind of a win-win for him.

If Oberyn fights the Mountain and wins, Tyrion is saved and Oberyn gets his revenge and with the other offerings from Tywin, may be satisfied. Thus Tywin loses an enemy who wants him dead (maybe even turning him into a full ally) and saves his son. And to be honest, I think Tywin is smart enough to know that Tyrion doesn't have shit to do with Joffrey's death, so I think he'd actually want to save him. The problem with this is whether or not Tywin would care to lose such a strong pawn (the Mountain)

If Oberyn loses, he dies and Tywin loses an enemy without having to completely destroy his relationship with Dorne, since Oberyn would have chosen this of his own volition. But that also means he loses Tyrion, which he may or may not care about...

But here's a question (which I don't think we have enough info for an answer however), but if Oberyn is a judge, can he also be a champion?

This unsullied has the same line of thinking that I had as to what the show might be doing with Tywin with regards to setting up a "meeting" between The Mountain and Oberyn.

Massa

Damn, Tyrion hasn't even been trialed yet and people are already picking a champion for him. These are some astute show viewers.

The show's already done a much better job this season of telegraphing things before they happen. Not necessarily giving too many hints about how things are playing out, but allowing the story beats to flow more naturally and be easier to follow for those who aren't familiar with the books. Oberyn and the necklace are two things that come to mind.

They don't have a lot of time to make Oberyn a really fan-favourite character so it should be apparent at this point where his endgame lies - getting The Mountain to face him in single combat, something everyone would root for.

Because he has to pass as Theon in next week's episode.

Authors don't have to be concerned with such details, but showrunners do.

Yeah, the guys were like "oh, you're Theon". No one winced and said "what the fuck happened to you?" or "you can't possibly be the Grejoy heir".

I was thinking about lines that I wish had been in this season, but have been cut. This one particularly stood out:

Especially since people have been bitching about the overuse of the song.

Any other lines you guys miss?

Impressive/suspicious that guys in the non-spoiler thread have already hypothesized that Oberyn -- whom we last saw accepting Tywin's offer to be a judge at Tyrion's trial -- will end up being Tyrion's champion in a trial by combat with the Mountain being the opposing champion.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Impressive/suspicious that guys in the non-spoiler thread have already hypothesized that Oberyn -- whom we last saw accepting Tywin's offer to be a judge at Tyrion's trial -- will end up being Tyrion's champion in a trial by combat with the Mountain being the opposing champion.

That scene was in the trailers pretty prominently though, to be fair.

someday

Banned
I was thinking about lines that I wish had been in this season, but have been cut. This one particularly stood out:

Any other lines you guys miss?
I laughed so hard when I first read that.

This is a line that would've been absolutely fantastic to have.

The mods have already mentioned that we're not supposed to talk about this kind of stuff. If you think there's something problematic, PM cornballer or one of the other mods, but please keep this kind of meta-talk out of here.
It's also ridiculously annoying.

To be fair, part of the fight scene is in the S4 trailer. After seeing episode 2 you could come to this conclusion.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
What do you all think will happen to Tommen? How do you expect his life to play out?

Tywin has started setting him up as one who will listen. While he won't be as ignorant as book Tommen, I think he will be very willing to listen to the council of others, and be easily manipulated once Tywin is killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom