• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 4 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Tommen will put his stamp on Cersei's death warrant without reading it.
Perfection.

At least Martin used prophecy sparingly as a storytelling device (the novel version of a highlight reel/teaser) - having to deal with something like WoT's "HAWK OR FALCON? HAWK OR FALCON?" would be unbearable.

So what are everyone's theories on who the "younger brother" will be that (allegedly) kills Cersei?

Jaime?
The Hound?
Stannis?
Tommen?

I'm going to go with Jaime. It won't be Tyrion. Jaime already has blood on his hands and through his redemption story, I think he's going to kill Cersei himself before he's killed. Jaime is going to die before the end.

El Daniel

H4A7jrh.jpg

Tomorrow Jon Snow is interviewing Jon Snow on Channel 4 News. Presumably there's some reason more than just that.
Hey it's the Smalljon

Valhelm

contribute something
Perfection.

At least Martin used prophecy sparingly as a storytelling device (the novel version of a highlight reel/teaser) - having to deal with something like WoT's "HAWK OR FALCON? HAWK OR FALCON?" would be unbearable.

I have to disagree. There are way, way, way too many prophets, clairvoyants, and fortune tellers in these books. On the top of my head, I can think of:
  • Mirri Maz Duur
  • Patchface
  • Maegi Spicer
  • The old woman met by the BWB
  • Aeron Greyjoy
  • The Undying Ones
  • The Three-Eyed Crow
  • Rhaegar Targaryen
  • Melisandre

SamVimes

I have to disagree. There are way, way, way too many prophets, clairvoyants, and fortune tellers in these books. On the top of my head, I can think of:
  • Mirri Maz Duur
  • Patchface
  • Maegi Spicer
  • Aeron Greyjoy
  • The Undying Ones
  • The Three-Eyed Crow
  • Rhaegar Targaryen
  • Melisandre
Rhaegar? I think he was following a prophecy, not "divining" it.

• Mirri Maz Duur
  • Patchface
  • Maegi Spicer
  • Aeron Greyjoy
  • The Undying Ones
  • The Three-Eyed Crow
  • Rhaegar Targaryen
  • Melisandre

It's been a while since I read the books, but I don't remember Patchface being any of those things.

Ephidel

• Mirri Maz Duur
  • Patchface
  • Maegi Spicer
  • The old woman met by the BWB The Ghost of High Heart
  • Aeron Greyjoy
  • The Undying Ones
  • The Three-Eyed Crow
  • Rhaegar Targaryen
  • Melisandre
  • Moqorro
  • Quaithe
  • Bran
  • Jojen
  • That Signs and Portents book Marywn has part of, and Asha's Uncle has read about.
Jaime had a weird dream on a weirwood stump too (which is how the brotherhood say the ghost of high heart gets her prophesies), and Jon has weird dreams about the Stark crypt.

Then in Dunk & Egg you have Daeron and the fiddler.

Rhaegar? I think he was following a prophecy, not "divining" it.
He was struck by inspiration of some sort while reading to the extent that he changed his entire lifestyle, but he wasn't a prophet himself, as such. He just embraced it wholeheartedly, believed in it with unshakeable faith, and allowed it to take over his life.

I'm not sure about Damphair personally. He's certainly a zealot but I'm not sure he's actually had any visions of his own?

Valhelm

contribute something
Do we have a list of active wargs? Is it just Bran, kind-of Arya, and kind-of Jon?

I've always wondered if Robb warged into Grey Wind as he was killed, or if Howland Reed is a warg.

I think all the Stark kids had the warg connection with their wolves, although they may not realize what it is (with the possible exception of Sansa just because her wolf may have died before she had any dreams as her wolf).

kirblar

I think all the Stark kids had the warg connection with their wolves, although they may not realize what it is (with the possible exception of Sansa just because her wolf may have died before she had any dreams as her wolf).
Yeah, this is the case. Sansa's got cut off before it really developed.

Ephidel

Do we have a list of active wargs? Is it just Bran, kind-of Arya, and kind-of Jon?

I've always wondered if Robb warged into Grey Wind as he was killed, or if Howland Reed is a warg.
Well Robb is kind of a non-issue because even if he did, he's dead.

Then there's the warg/skinchanger issue... :p

Bran is both a warg and a skinchanger. He spends his time in Summer, Ravens, Hodor, Trees...
Arya is a warg, but as far as I'm aware she's only in the passenger stage with Nymeria (she has the wolf dreams, I don't think she's ever controlled her). She's also a skinchanger because we've seen her cheating on her test using the cat, which she did control to get it up there in the first place.
Jon is a warg. He has both controlled and passengered Ghost. We haven't seen him inhabit anything else.
Rickon is probably warging into cannibal unicorns as we speak but we've never seen evidence of it. He had some of the same dreams as Bran though (they both went down to the crypts to investigate the same dream).
We have no idea about Sansa because Lady was executed and as far as we know she hasn't tried with anything else. I'm not sure it would even occur to her (though I wouldn't be surprised to find her skinchanging into a birds or something later).

Tormund had a skinchanger amongst his wildlings I think, with a boar?
As Varamyr had been to some sort of Skinchangers meeting we know there are more out there somewhere, so there's probably at least a couple mixed in with all those wildlings somewhere (and while no longer a skinchanger, the remnants of Varamyr's mind are in that wolf in Summer's pack)

And Bloodraven is Bloodraven. I'm not entirely sure what he counts as at this stage.

Poor Davos (...or Shireen?) needs some penmanship classes. At least I hope it's one of them. If Stannis writes like that... Ah well, at least Kings mostly just stamp things.

Lothar

Banned
I'm reading the No Book Spoiler thread right now. God, they're still waiting for the white walker army at the end of season 2 to show up and do something. It's a reminder that having the Night's Watch/White Walker battle happen off screen was the worst thing they've done so far. 1000 times shittier than the rape in the last episode. What makes it especially bad is that it's not just 1 person confused, almost all of them are confused. Many seem to believe the Night's Watch killed them.

To the few people that understood what happened, that has to just come off as unbelievably cheap. It would have been better if the White Walkers just looked like Walking Dead zombies and they fought the Night's Watch that way. It would have been better if Sam was in a tent hearing sounds outside and was too scared to go outside.

Will they show a White Walker battle ever? Or is the CGI of a WW army just too hard to produce and everything concerning the White Walkers will always turn out shitty on the show? I mean if we can't even get a single minute of it to explain the S2 cliffhanger, it's hard to imagine ever getting a long epic WW battle that will likely be in the books at some point.

Something I noticed. During the Purple Wedding episode, Jaime talks to Loras about marrying Cersei and says something along the lines of "but that will never happen because she will never marry you." Loras responds with "and neither will you" as a sort of wisecrack. Did he mean to say that Jaime will never marry him or that Jaime will never marry Cersei? Because if he meant the latter, it didn't really make sense. Kinda confused me the first time I watched it.

-Deimos

Something I noticed. During the Purple Wedding episode, Jaime talks to Loras about marrying Cersei and says something along the lines of "but that will never happen because she will never marry you." Loras responds with "and neither will you" as a sort of wisecrack. Did he mean to say that Jaime will never marry him or that Jaime will never marry Cersei? Because if he meant the latter, it didn't really make sense. Kinda confused me the first time I watched it.

He meant that Jaime will never marry Cersei, since they're siblings.

oberyn martell is so boss in this show that i actually wouldn't mind if they extended his importance in this season.

...but nah fuck that. this book was the best. minimal deviations would be ideal. smart how they used bronn to train jaime.

jett

D-Member
I wonder what will be the reaction to the latest fan-favorite being killed off, since he just got introduced to the show. :lol I guess when Quentyn bites in S5 or S6 it people will just roll their eyes, and I can only assume the show won't make the grave mistake of ending a season with Jon's cliffhanger "death".

I wonder what will be the reaction to the latest fan-favorite being killed off, since he just got introduced to the show. :lol I guess when Quentyn bites in S5 or S6 it people will just roll their eyes, and I can only assume the show won't make the grave mistake of ending a season with Jon's cliffhanger "death".

Would it be a grave mistake though? It's not like he'll actually be dead.

Real Hero

my biggest complaint with ADWD other than it having no climax (even AFFC had one in its biggest storylines) and it having random chapters for some characters thrown in, was every chapter ending with a 'omg they might be dead!' cliffhanger.

His names quentynn? Shit I've been calling him oberynn this whole time lmao

Edit: never mind

TTG

I know I'm a week late to this, but I could have used less Troy's Achilles' intro aping in that fight. It's the one time I missed the fat ass(what was his name, Barriston was masquerading as his servant?).

And while we're at it, way to go over the top with the citizens reacting to the speech. Feel free to tone down the reactionary gasps, conspiratorial glances and general revelatory awe with which the slaves were looking around. The whole sequence fell flat, at least the cgi was cool? I don't usually nitpick like this, but it was one of the scenes I distinctly remember years after reading the books.

On the upside, Arya finally got a chance to show some range of emotion for a little bit there and she did well.

Forkball

I like it - it explains some of Cersei's motivations.

I hate it. It takes away from her character development and it boils down to "a wizard did it." Instead of being a complex character affected by the inequality women have to suffer in this world, family relationships, social statues and personal arrogance, she is just scared of a witch. I love the magic in this series, but I felt like this story didn't need it.

I do wonder what the whole prophecy angle is in the grand scheme of things. Every prophecy turns out to be true. And these random goobers somehow know them? HOW

Meanwhile in the other thread:
RkxjlGW.gif

Eidan

I'm reading the No Book Spoiler thread right now. God, they're still waiting for the white walker army at the end of season 2 to show up and do something. It's a reminder that having the Night's Watch/White Walker battle happen off screen was the worst thing they've done so far. 1000 times shittier than the rape in the last episode. What makes it especially bad is that it's not just 1 person confused, almost all of them are confused. Many seem to believe the Night's Watch killed them.

To the few people that understood what happened, that has to just come off as unbelievably cheap. It would have been better if the White Walkers just looked like Walking Dead zombies and they fought the Night's Watch that way. It would have been better if Sam was in a tent hearing sounds outside and was too scared to go outside.

Will they show a White Walker battle ever? Or is the CGI of a WW army just too hard to produce and everything concerning the White Walkers will always turn out shitty on the show? I mean if we can't even get a single minute of it to explain the S2 cliffhanger, it's hard to imagine ever getting a long epic WW battle that will likely be in the books at some point.

The battle happens "off screen" in the book as well, didn't it? Isn't it just a few moments that Sam recalls as the Watch is making its retreat?

I honestly think a lot of you concern yourself too much with how non-book readers are interpreting the show. The show states that there was a battle, that the Watch suffered heavy losses, and was retreating back to the Wall. If people didn't pick it up when they watched, fine. There's a lot that people miss, because it's a show that requires a lot of attention.

I also think this is a funny point, considering that lack of subtlety is something book readers like to complain about with regards to the show.

Joni

you know this part got me thinking:

a) do show watchers realize that dany was also born out of incest?
b) was incest legal when the targs were in power, did robert change that law?
Cersei and Jaimie are even the result of incest. Joanna is a Lannister by birth, and the cousin of Tywin. Mace and Olenna are also cousins. But brother-sister incest was always illegal according to the Faith, but they made an exception for the Targ royalty.

cj_iwakura

I really like new Tommen. I pictured book Tommen as a chubby toddler giggling and happily doing whatever anyone wanted.

Show Tommen seems obedient, but reasonable.

Forkball

Cersei and Jaimie are even the result of incest. Joanna is a Lannister by birth, and the cousin of Tywin. Mace and Olenna are also cousins. But brother-sister incest was always illegal according to the Faith, but they made an exception for the Targ royalty.

Olenna is Mace's mom. PLEASE DON'T SHIP HERE

Jayof9s

The battle happens "off screen" in the book as well, didn't it? Isn't it just a few moments that Sam recalls as the Watch is making its retreat?

I honestly think a lot of you concern yourself too much with how non-book readers are interpreting the show. The show states that there was a battle, that the Watch suffered heavy losses, and was retreating back to the Wall. If people didn't pick it up when they watched, fine. There's a lot that people miss, because it's a show that requires a lot of attention.

I also think this is a funny point, considering that lack of subtlety is something book readers like to complain about with regards to the show.

Actually, we saw a decent bit of the battle in the books; though it was from Sam's perspective so he wasn't exactly on the front lines.

He was out doing something when the horns blew and he described men taking up positions, lines of archers with fire arrows, and the wights attacking; dead men, horses, a bear, etc.

In the books he even managed to send word back of the attack and had pre-prepared messages to send out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom