• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

I miss Stannis 😭

Decent first episode. Loved the humanizing of the regular Lannister grunts. Jon was great. Euron was better than his second appearance last season, but it's not hard to beat "...let's go murder them".

Broing out with the Brotherhood was great, loved all the Hound, Beric, and Thoros stuff. Cesei was fine, Lena is always on point. All the Dany stuff was eyerolling. Yes, I get the big, dramatic landing...she's been waiting years to return home, but I find her plot the least compelling.

Just not a strong episode at all. The first scene was predictable and it also highlighted the problems with the Braavos storyline, but after that it wasn't bad, really, but meandering.

I feel like they just threw away 1/7th of the season.

A lot of the characters and southern conflicts that will make Dany's conquest effectively 1/3 of the series have been cut. They only have Cersei and Euron to work with. That's why the show's pacing seems wildly disproportionate with Dany taking 60 episodes to get here and only staying here for 13.

Zabka

Just not a strong episode at all. The first scene was predictable and it also highlighted the problems with the Braavos storyline, but after that it wasn't bad, really, but meandering.

I feel like they just threw away 1/7th of the season.

You predicted the season would open with Arya killing all the Freys while wearing Walder's face?

ryseing

A lot of the characters and southern conflicts that will make Dany's conquest effectively 1/3 of the series have been cut. They only have Cersei and Euron to work with. That's why the show's pacing seems wildly disproportionate with Dany taking 60 episodes to get here and only staying here for 13.

Truth. Not having to worry about Faegon and taking Doran off the table made the knots much easier to unravel.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
You predicted the season would open with Arya killing all the Freys while wearing Walder's face?
I don't know about that person but as soon as I saw Walder Frey on screen I knew it was Arya and that she was going to poison everyone there.

Zabka

I don't know about that person but as soon as I saw Walder Frey on screen I knew it was Arya and that she was going to poison everyone there.

Well yeah. I don't think it was meant to be a big reveal considering they showed the scene of her slitting his throat a minute before the episode started.

So...did they retcon valerian steel? Sam said the Targs decorated their weapons with dragonglass. I'm wondering if they're just axing the idea that it's the magic of the steel smelting.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Well yeah. I don't think it was meant to be a big reveal considering they showed the scene of her slitting his throat a minute before the episode started.
So what are you even arguing? They said the first scene was predictable and it was. They never said they knew what it would be before it aired.

So are the books worth reading at this point? I'm half way through book two and I'm wondering if it's worth continuing. I hear books four and five are awful. Thoughts?

Zabka

So what are you even arguing? They said the first scene was predictable and it was. They never said they knew what it would be before it aired.

I was hoping he meant the latter because criticizing a scene for being predictable when you're supposed to know exactly what is going to happen is silly.

I was hoping he meant the latter because criticizing a scene for being predictable when you're supposed to know exactly what is going to happen is silly.

Um, they staged the scene as if the reveal would be a shock. If they really intend us to be 'in on it' from the first shot, and they play out the scene without any style, poetry, or energy, that's a really shitty way to open the season.

Which is what it was.

mackaveli

Not sure if this little detail at the end was important,

but it looked like Dany was going to sit on the throne and thought about it but instead went into the bad which counters the finale last year when Cersei sat on the iron throne?

Maybe it's nothing but that part stuck out to me when watching the show.

Yeah, this.

Literally every person watching knew that was Arya and what she was going to do. It was supposed to be cathartic and not suspenseful/predictable.

Zabka

Um, they staged the scene as if the reveal would be a shock. If they really intend us to be 'in on it' from the first shot, and they play out the scene without any style, poetry, or energy, that's a really shitty way to open the season.

Which is what it was.

It played out as a shock for the Freys, which it was. Not the viewers.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Good way to start the season off. Why do people confuse setup and character development with "a whole lot of nothing"?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

For about 10 seconds I thought maybe it was a flashback to whatever event led up to Arya killing him.

Not sure if this little detail at the end was important,

but it looked like Dany was going to sit on the throne and thought about it but instead went into the bad which counters the finale last year when Cersei sat on the iron throne?

Maybe it's nothing but that part stuck out to me when watching the show.

That's a notable callout. Fits right in with Cersei's power grab also being her sealing her fate. As Jaime told in in this episode, she cut off all allies (both troops and supplies).

Dany on the other hand arrives in Westeros with a few alliances already in place and heads straight to the map table to plan, ignoring the symbolic seat of power in favor of getting to work.

For about 10 seconds I thought maybe it was a flashback to whatever event led up to Arya killing him.

Yeah, I didn't make the connection right away, but pretty quickly I picked up on "Walder" not acting quite like 100% Walder and I assumed it was Arya.

I enjoyed the first episode. Lots of great character development.

Jon was awesome. Jaime realizing his sister is batshit crazy and showing similarities to the Mad King.

The Hound by far was the best this episode. Every scene was fantastic.

Arya and the Lannister guards.

Ramirez

I didn't rewatch all of last season, but is Jaqen(sp?) gonna just let Arya run around abusing her skill set and be cool with it?

Apart from the shit montage and Sam weirdly needing to rediscover dragonglass on Dragonstone (Stannis already told him didn't he?), I really enjoyed it.

The Brotherhood and Arya/Lannister scenes were the highlights for me. Gravedigger bit was a nice touch, Euron was much improved (and I'm looking forward to his stuff finally) and Maester Slughorn is intriguing.

Gnome

I didn't rewatch all of last season, but is Jaqen(sp?) gonna just let Arya run around abusing her skill set and be cool with it?

Seems that way. Its possible her story ends with her comeuppance at their hands though, after getting her revenge.

mackaveli

That's a notable callout. Fits right in with Cersei's power grab also being her sealing her fate. As Jaime told in in this episode, she cut off all allies (both troops and supplies).

Dany on the other hand arrives in Westeros with a few alliances already in place and heads straight to the map table to plan, ignoring the symbolic seat of power in favor of getting to work.

Yeah, I didn't make the connection right away, but pretty quickly I picked up on "Walder" not acting quite like 100% Walder and I assumed it was Arya.

Yeah cause they could have easily just have ended the episode with Dany on the throne and everyone looking on, but they purposely showing the map and the strategy etc., seemed important.

Yup. Just sums up how stupid that whole plot was.

The upside is that it really highlighted for me how panicked the CIA people were in the Bourne movies (which is how Jaqen should have been). You can't train uberkillers and then turn them loose.

mantidor

Yeah, this.

Literally every person watching knew that was Arya and what she was going to do. It was supposed to be cathartic and not suspenseful/predictable.

My group of friends were pissed when I screamed "thats Arya" before the reveal, and now I`m forbidden to say anything next episode, people's mileage may vary.

LordCanti

I liked this episode a lot even if I have to shut up the little voice in my head that says things like "Wow, the Iron Islanders sure built that fleet quick". I really like what they're doing with The Hound in particular and I'm hopeful for where his story is going. Arya's murder tour is also up there on my list with The Hound's redemption tour.

Looking forward to the rest of the season.

hydruxo

My group of friends were pissed when I screamed "thats Arya" before the reveal, and know I`m forbidden to say anything next episode, people's mileage may vary.

I saw some people on twitter saying they thought it was a flashback at first, so yeah I think it wasn't necessarily obvious from the get go for everyone

Windup

Neo Member
Is there anything in the books that the show hasn't covered and realistically will? Feels like we're way past the end of book 5 at this point.

Top Bottom