• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Can we talk about the fact that it took an entire city of woodworkers and smiths to make a single scorpion but somehow the Iron Islanders put together a huge fleet complete with trebuchets and ammo in one episode?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Can we talk about the fact that it took an entire city of woodworkers and smiths to make a single scorpion but somehow the Iron Islanders put together a huge fleet complete with trebuchets and ammo in one episode?

It was the tail end of the army. But yeah I get what you're saying.

You mean like Dany thinking the invasion would be a cakewalk and her entire plan along with her alliances with three Westeros houses being destroyed within 2 episodes because they underestimated their enemy? The show should probably do something like that.

Or cersei blowing up the equivalent of the westerosi vatican? Killing the small people's favourite queen (margery) and getting away with it scott free?

Or Jon Snow leaving the Nights Watch, with not a word from any other character. The first major thing Ned Stark did in the series was execute a deserter.

Given the state of westeros at the end of season 6, the invasion should have been a cake walk. Euron was introduced and utilised as a cheap way of levelling the playing field.

Gigglepoo

You mean like Dany thinking the invasion would be a cakewalk and her entire plan along with her alliances with three Westeros houses being destroyed within 2 episodes because they underestimated their enemy? The show should probably do something like that.

1) Jon rushes headlong into battle, ignoring the plan he had made beforehand. There's no punishment for his stupidity and is even made The King in the North.

2) Arya strolls stupidly through Bravos even though she knows she's being hunted. She gets stabbed repeatedly and falls into the river. She somehow survives, kills her assailant, and leaves the assassin's guild.

3) Brienne stares at a candle all season in the hopes of rescuing Sansa. After months of watching, she hears that Stannis is nearby, and leaves her post to get revenge. Brienne kills Stannis and then finds Sansa just before a gang of guards can re-capture her.

Do you see what I'm talking about? Before, events unfolded because of decisions characters made. There were consequences. Now it's just a matter of what the writers want. There are no more stakes to their choices.

NandoGip

Or cersei blowing up the equivalent of the westerosi vatican? Killing the small people's favourite queen (margery) and getting away with it scott free?

Or Jon Snow leaving the Nights Watch, with not a word from any other character. The first major thing Ned Stark did in the series was execute a deserter.

Given the state of westeros at the end of season 6, the invasion should have been a cake walk. Euron was introduced and utilised as a cheap way of levelling the playing field.

-The show explains that no one knows for a fact that it was her, plus she's the one in power... Up to you to judge whether or not thats a good enough answer

-Jon died, so his watch ended. He didn't abandon the Nights Watch

Zabka

Her son killed himself due to her actions.

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death."
He died. Watch over.

Euron is a cheap plot device so far, I'll give you that.

-The show explains that no one knows for a fact that it was her, plus she's the one in power... Up to you to judge whether or not thats a good enough answer

-Jon died, so his watch ended. He didn't abandon the Nights Watch

There are plenty who know she did do it, she should face some repercussions from other houses.

Very few seem to know Jon died though, they seem to be keeping it a secret. The northern lords (not sure they know) and definitely cersei should have something to say.

Her son killed himself due to her actions.

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death."
He died. Watch over.

Euron is a cheap plot device so far, I'll give you that.

Her son was a price to pay, I'll give you that. Just feel the people of kings landing should have something to say!

With Jon Snow, him dying is a good reason. But they've not disclosed it to the world. There should be people questioning him about it imho.

JakeD

Why would cersei care about jons vows being broken when he's already committed treason by being crowned king? That's already a death sentence. Only reason she'd bring it up is for political strategy which the show has long abandoned.

Why would the northern lords care about his vows if king jons only purpose left is to fight white walkers anyway? He's essentially still lord commander of the nights watch. Just doing it with a "title" but it's believable that no one would care about that part of the vow when they're fighting back armies of zombies

Gigglepoo

We talk about Jon's resurrection and subsequent rise to King in the North every week. People (like me) question his path and other people offer answers. But none of those answers are present in the show. Did he die, thereby absolving him of his vow? Yes, but none of the Northern Houses know that he died. Is he leading the fight against the White Walkers? Yes, but none of them cared about the encroaching threat before the Battle of the Bastards and are still questioning him about the whole White Walker thing now. Do they just want a leader and he'll do? Maybe, but that doesn't answer why they have appointed a bastard deserter with bad military strategy to be their king.

It's a plot hole. It doesn't make the show bad or anything but it shows that by speeding through the narrative they are glossing over the messy parts that they can't be easily explained.

Why would the northern lords care about his vows if king jons only purpose left is to fight white walkers anyway? He's essentially still lord commander of the nights watch. Just doing it with a "title" but it's believable that no one would care about that part of the vow when they're fighting back armies of zombies

Um, here's the Night's Watch vow:

Hear my words and bear witness to my vow. Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am ... the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

duckroll

I dunno, the impression I get is that most people don't really take the Night's Watch seriously nor do they care much about their vows. Ned Stark cared, but he's pretty special in that regard. Sam also broke his vows and brings a woman and child with him. No one in his family seemed shocked or disgusted. Until they find out she's one of "them" anyway. So racism is more widespread than people caring about the honor of vows it seems.

Maybe hearing ned Starks son say an army of undead is coming is enough for them not to care. At least in the books ned was revered by everyone not named bolton.

JakeD

I dunno, the impression I get is that most people don't really take the Night's Watch seriously nor do they care much about their vows. Ned Stark cared, but he's pretty special in that regard. Sam also broke his vows and brings a woman and child with him. No one in his family seemed shocked or disgusted. Until they find out she's one of "them" anyway. So racism is more widespread than people caring about the honor of vows it seems.

Basically. It's been implied that the nights watch is a bit of a joke (to anyone not *in* the nights watch at least) since season 1 anyway.

And more-so the Show northern lords have been consistently less honorable and traditional than the book counterparts.

Gigglepoo

"Lead us until we vanquish the White Walkers" would have solved so much confusion. The Northern Lords are always shown as sticklers for rules and history so I don't see why they wouldn't care about the Night's Watch. Yes, the Southern Houses don't care nearly as much (we see that early on when King's Landing can only send convicts up North) but defending the Wall is stil important in the North. I mean, important houses have people who choose to be in the Night's Watch (Stark, Mormont) so I don't know why we're assuming they don't care about it.

I just want things explained in the show instead of forcing us to make up head cannon to explain their choices. As we've shown, there are reasons it can make sense, but the show didn't go down any of those paths.

mantidor

Jon will be king thanks to Robb's will and Lady Stoneheart, his resurrection will be handled different as well, so I just pretend all of this happened in the show somehow :p

People probably don't care about his vow because he normal rules have kind of fallen to the wayside in westeros. These are the same people who, for the most part, abandoned the starks when the boltons took over. At least in the show, power tends to hold more sway over people, even northmen, than vows.

Tiktaalik

Recall in the books Stannis, the most by the rules dude of all time, offered Winterfell to Jon and wanted to get Jon to break his Night's Watch vows.

People bend their beliefs to fit the situation. The Lords of the North are no different.

Hazmat

Recall in the books Stannis, the most by the rules dude of all time, offered Winterfell to Jon and wanted to get Jon to break his Night's Watch vows.

People bend their beliefs to fit the situation. The Lords of the North are no different.

A king can release anyone from their vows, I believe. Stannis could release Jon from the Night's Watch and legitimize him as a Stark if Jon accepted (in the eyes of the people who view Stannis as king).

Speevy

Banned
Tormund Giantsbane was sent to man Eastwatch by the Sea. I'm guessing he meets up with the Brotherhood without Banners, who are also headed to the wall.

Based on the pictures I don't think your assumptions are correct. Unless we see more magical teleporting.

Yeah...why would the episode be named that though?
Like, if the episode takes place in the south, why would they name it Eastwatch given it's location? Could the pictures just be a red herring?

jett

D-Member
Why is no one in the show asking Jon about leaving the night's watch?

He died.

His watch is ended.

Hello.

edit:

but the Targ-faction doesn't know that. I guess they don't care. But it's more likely that D&D don't care, or rather are saving this bit of information for a big ol' dramatic reveal.

jfkgoblue

Based on the pictures I don't think your assumptions are correct. Unless we see more magical teleporting.
Eastwatch by the sea will definitely be the focus of the episode given the title, promo pics mean nothing other than it won't be the only location visited this episode
Why is no one in the show asking Jon about leaving the night's watch?
Can we please stop, this argument will go the same way it has gone the last 10 times we've had it in this thread.

KodaRuss

Eastwatch? That's what the episode called?

Isn't that on the Wall? Is it happening? Is it winter?

I am sure we are going to see what happens at Eastwatch towards the end of the episode or something, Most of these pictures look like the aftermath of the last battle. Didnt Jon send the Wildlings to Eastwatch Castle?

Violater

He died.

His watch is ended.

Hello.
Not everyone knows he died is my point.
Surely the lords of the north would have questioned serving a king brought back from the dead.

Can we please stop, this argument will go the same it went the last 10 times we've had it in this thread.
Ugh I hate when I take time off from OT topics and come back after shit storms. I didn't know this was a sore subject.

I am sure we are going to see what happens at Eastwatch towards the end of the episode or something, Most of these pictures look like the aftermath of the last battle. Didnt Jon send the Wildlings to Eastwatch Castle?

Yeah. I hope it's like the last episode where there's a 20-30 minute focus on the south and then the rest of the episode is focused on Eastwatch.

KodaRuss

Tormund Giantsbane was sent to man Eastwatch by the Sea. I'm guessing he meets up with the Brotherhood without Banners, who are also headed to the wall.

I guess I missed this part? Didnt realize they were headed to the wall... Why are they again? I have no idea what they are doing...

Speevy

Banned
And Tormund Giantsbane makes a sly little comment about them being the Night's Watch as though he isn't a horrible murderer of innocent people himself.

Tiktaalik

A king can release anyone from their vows, I believe. Stannis could release Jon from the Night's Watch and legitimize him as a Stark if Jon accepted (in the eyes of the people who view Stannis as king).

I never really thought too hard about it, but the answer seems to be a vague maybe, maybe not? GRRM himself weighed in.

Granny: Is there any chance that Jon could be released from his oaths of the nightwatch?

George_RR_Martin: The great council would have released Aemon from his maester's oath, so I suppose it would be possible. With an appropriate authority.

https://movies.stackexchange.com/qu...ase-a-man-of-the-nights-watch-from-their-vows

gspec

In the books, Lady mormont had a letter from King Robb Stark releasing Jon from his service with the night watch and naming Jon his heir and king of the north. The show, like in most cases, does a bad job explaining things.

KodaRuss

In the books, Lady mormont had a letter from King Robb Stark releasing Jon from his service with the night watch and naming Jon his heir and king of the north. The show, like in most cases, does a bad job explaining things.

I forgot all about that. Been so long since I have read any of the books....

JakeD

I never really thought too hard about it, but the answer seems to be a vague maybe, maybe not? GRRM himself weighed in.

https://movies.stackexchange.com/qu...ase-a-man-of-the-nights-watch-from-their-vows

i think technically the nights watch is supposed to be independent even from kings and queens, and therefore even a king would not be able to release someone from their vows. this independence from the seven kingdoms was a big deal early on in the series but obviously changed over time

i've personally always taken stannis' offer as yet another example of the ongoing theme of "Honor is important, until it isn't"

pablito

Do they just want a leader and he'll do? Maybe, but that doesn't answer why they have appointed a bastard deserter with bad military strategy to be their king..

If anything, the defense of Castle Black and ruining their strat for BOTB puts him neutral territory. And honestly, I feel people gave Jon too much shit for that charge.

The Boltons colluded with the Freys and Lannisters for the Red Wedding. The Lannisters/Joffrey are responsible for Ned's death. Ramsay in particular repeatedly raped Sansa and killed Rickon right in front of him. Boltons were either allied with or the direct cause of all of the Stark's suffering. Cut him some slack.

Plus couldn't you say that...Jon could fuck up your strat and still win? That's gotta count for something XD.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
i think technically the nights watch is supposed to be independent even from kings and queens, and therefore even a king would not be able to release someone from their vows. this independence from the seven kingdoms was a big deal early on in the series but obviously changed over time

i've personally always taken stannis' offer as yet another example of the ongoing theme of "Honor is important, until it isn't"

Stannis' point as a character is his contrast to Ned Stark, who would actually follow the rules and have honor, and Stannis who hides behind them when its convenient. Ironically probably because he resented Robert so much he wants to prove himself a better man than him.

If I remember right D&D wanted to finish the series with a 10 episode season 7, but HBO wanted a season 8, that's why we have 7 and 6 episode seasons. So it's not about budget, the writers just wanna move on, but HBO didn't let them.

And all the hate D&D gets, people should understand that it's not easy for them. They signed up to adapt books, and probably didn't expect the books to just stop coming out. So now they have to write the show without any source material while getting hate from the bookreaders, it's no wonder they wanted to finish it.
Are you sure it was HBO's choice to do a season 8 and not the writers'?

If HBO is pulling the strings surely they could tell that the show would benefit from an extra $50 million for the last 2 seasons...

Speevy

Banned
If Jon had somehow prevented the shield wall from forming, that was a winnable fight, with or without the Vale.

Ramsay killed what looks like 80% of his own soldiers with arrows.

jett

D-Member
Not everyone knows he died is my point.
Surely the lords of the north would have questioned serving a king brought back from the dead.

Well I can't say. I've said before Jon getting so easily crowned King in the North was convenient. He didn't even do anything of note during the battle, he kind of fucked up majorly. It was the Vale that saved the day.

jfkgoblue

So rewatching season 4, and Yara attempts a rescue of Theon by taking a ship to the Dreadfort... only
d4bd7d7d17a211a64c6442a1f68b3f2f514ffec0_hq.jpg

how do you get there by ship? Maybe Euron stole Yara's magic ships that creates bodies of waters to go on.

Top Bottom