• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unofficial response from Assassin's Creed dev on 900p drama. Bombcast 10/14/2014

commedieu

Banned
It would have been so easy to say that it was a slip or a mistake to say that parity reduces bitching online by nerds.

Instead of Ubisoft pretending that their game can't run 1080p or any slightly greater resolution than the Xbox 1, on the PS4.

Begaria

Ubisoft: Mordor has next gen gameplay and mechanics, but we got 'dem graphics, son! Woop, woop, 25 GB of lighting!

And interestingly enough, I also now listening to the Giant Bombcast and as I type this I just got to this point. Heh!

That was a good email. The guy sounded so bitter.

Wouldn't you be if thousands of gamers lost there shit and threatened to cancel there preorder over something so trivial in the grand scheme of things?

Anyways his story is far more believable and in the realm of common sense then some of the crazy theories I've heard over the past week.

Piggus

What if they could get the PS4 version running at 45fps, but they didn't want to leave the game with a variable framerate, so it just got locked at 30?

That's not going to happen with the CPU being the bottleneck in the first place. If the game is CPU bound and running at the same resolution as the Bone version, then they're not utilizing a big portion of the PS4's GPU. Resolution is almost entirely GPU-bound and has very little to do with the CPU.

But Ubisoft still seems to think we're all morons, so their answer isn't too surprising.

The thing I take away from this is that they don't have their priorities straight when it comes to creating enjoyable games. I doubt anyone cares about the AI for some random NPCs in the background when the resolution or FPS suffers because of it.

The jab at Mordor is hilarious considering that game does AC better than AC itself.

People aren't annoyed because PS4 is 900p, if that's all they can get then that's all they can get. They're annoyed because someone said they are being put out at equal res to avoid arguments. And if the Xbone is able to do 900p too, then it's at least somewhat fair to assume (considering there are multiple games that show this) the PS4 should be able to pump out more.

If this guy's logic were true, at least with them struggling to hit 900p 30fps on PS4, then the Xbone version should be at like 720p

SeanTSC

This really is about to define a next gen like no other game before.

Not a single thing that I've seen from AC: Unity backs up this statement in any way.

Also no mention of using the PS4's extra GPU power on *anything* just makes this smell like even more bullshit.

orochi91

That's not going to happen with the CPU being the bottleneck in the first place. If the game is CPU bound and running at the same resolution as the Bone version, then they're not utilizing a big portion of the PS4's GPU. Resolution is almost entirely GPU-bound and has very little to do with the CPU.

But Ubisoft still seems to think we're all morons, so their answer isn't too surprising.

Hey, Bruiser seems willing to tow their PR lines lol

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
NO, he's basically backing up the fact that the CPU is the limiting factor, and in that department they are pretty much equals, although he does leave the door open for small FPS differences.

Yes. I think that's a reasonable conclusion. It won't stop the parity zealots crying foul though.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I don't care if your game can't reach 1080p or that you've only just managed to lock in 30fps, just don't talk to me like I'm just a dumbest customer who'll believe whatever shit you say.

Nothing has been resolved.

Chobel

Unless the game use 0% GPU, then PS4 can always push more graphics (Resolution and/or Visual effects) than Xbone.

Asd202

At this point it's safe to say Ubisoft simply put much more work into Xbone version as opposed to PS4 amd that the "deal" played a huge part in this.

JP

Is "Ubisoft" French for "shut the fuck up"? They seem to be in the same position as Microsoft last year where every new thing they say seems to have the exact opposite effect they were hoping for.

Chabbles

attachment.php

"I'm happy to enlighten you guys because way too much bullshit about 1080p making a difference is being thrown around. If the game is as pretty and fun as ours will be, who cares? Getting this game to 900p was a BITCH. The game is so huge in terms of rendering that it took months to get it to 720p at 30fps. The game was 9fps 9 months ago. We only achieved 900p at 30fps weeks ago. The PS4 couldn't handle 1080p 30fps for our game, whatever people, or Sony and Microsoft say. Yes, we have a deal with Microsoft, and yes we don't want people fighting over it, but with all the recent concessions from Microsoft, backing out of CPU reservations not once, but twice, you're talking about a 1 or 2 fps difference between the two consoles. So yes, locking the framerate is a conscious decision to keep people bullshiting, but that doesn't seem to have worked in the end. Even if Ubi has deals, the dev team members are proud, and want the best performance out of every console out there. What's hard is not getting the game to render at this point, it's making everything else in the game work at the same level of performance we designed from the start for the graphics. By the amount of content and NPCs in the game, from someone who witnessed optimization for lots of Ubisoft games in the past, this is crazily optimized for such a young generation of consoles. This really is about to define a next gen like no other game before. Mordor has next gen system and gameplay, but not graphics like Unity does. The proof comes in that game being cross gen. Our producer (Vincent) saying we're bound with AI by the CPU is right, but not entirely. Consider this, they started this game so early for next gen, MS and Sony wanted to push graphics first, so that's what we did. I believe 50% of the CPU is dedicated to helping the rendering by processing pre-packaged information, and in our case, much like Unreal 4, baked global illumination lighting. The result is amazing graphically, the depth of field and lighting effects are beyond anything you've seen on the market, and even may surpass Infamous and others. Because of this I think the build is a full 50gigs, filling the bluray to the edge, and nearly half of that is lighting data."

Read it in this voice/tone:

v2fuaD7.jpg

jelly

From what I've seen of the game, they don't need that many NPCs. It's overkill and actually looks silly. They might be struggling for performance but their priorities look very wrong.

fedexpeon

Banned
LOL.
Why do they keep avoiding the topic at hand aka GPU and resolution.

We know Ubisoft is bad at programming, but come on guys...took you that long to optimize a game after 4 years?

I don't really understand games specs and all that but it's not crazy that they both have to do 900p, right? The recent XB1 footage of the game showed a fairly dodgy framerate so maybe the PS4 version is a lot more stable at 900p.

orochi91

Are we to expect more Ubisoft AAA titles running sub-1080p on the PS4 this gen?

They're already shitting the bed hard less than a year in.

Yes, we have a deal with Microsoft, and yes we don't want people fighting over it, but with all the recent concessions from Microsoft, backing out of CPU reservations not once, but twice, you're talking about a 1 or 2 fps difference between the two consoles.

Pure, utter, BS

backing out of CPU/GPU reservations which were 30% slower and now 25% slower doesnt make the systems 1 to 2 fps differencewise. If you have the same CPU on both consoles,

Etnos

Banned
Which makes.... no sense at all.
(or their engine sucks)

Because every game regardless of design, scale and engine CAN and MUST run at 1080p in a PS4 right? Scientific fact.

Don't get me wrong parity is bull shit, they should optimize for each system.. but this notion that every game can be 1080p on PS4... if you trully believe so, I think you guys are heading for a disappointment this gen then..

I'm sure the people saying "just unload this to this" know exactly how to program a game for a console.
Oh, I know it's nothing simplistic as it sounds, but they say they've dedicated 50% of the CPU to rendering? I mean I can't really say that without knowing details, which I really can't, but there's a long history of using GPU power for that, as I understand.
Yes. I think that's a reasonable conclusion. It won't stop the parity zealots crying foul though.
I think the reaction to this PR is eclipsing any real discussion. I wonder if people are reading quote, regardless of believing it.

Top Bottom