• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unofficial response from Assassin's Creed dev on 900p drama. Bombcast 10/14/2014

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yQzDbv6rS8

Dat next-gen gamplay.

jk :p I know the game probably opens up more later on (I would hope, haven't played yet)

When people mention the next-gen gameplay of Mordor they are likely referring to the Nemesis system. It's a fantastic new gameplay mechanic that wasn't really possible last gen, judiging by it being stripped out of the PS360 versions

Also why are Ubisoft going on like we ALL HAVEN'T SEEN THE GAME YET. Yes it's pretty but it's hardly gonna define the new systems. It's certainly not pretty enough to justify trashing Mordor's presentation (which was very nice)

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
What if they could get the PS4 version running at 45fps, but they didn't want to leave the game with a variable framerate, so it just got locked at 30?

Then they could up the res, that is 50% wasted GPU...

Monster Zero

Ubisoft has had other 1080p titles on the Ps4. Why is it hard to believe this particular game was more demanding. Even the last assassins creed was 1080 on Ps4, but this has gone to far already, people are taking PR as the stone cold truth then dismissing words straight from the developers mouth

c0de

Now people not even remotely involved in the developing process can judge from a forum what hurdles devs had with this game? Really? Questioning even that 25 gigs is lighting data?
I wouldn't want to be a dev these times, you just can't do right.

I don't really understand games specs and all that but it's not crazy that they both have to do 900p, right? The recent XB1 footage of the game showed a fairly dodgy framerate so maybe the PS4 version is a lot more stable at 900p.

Then the Ubisoft dev should have mentioned that in this email tirade. But he doesn't.

Pure, utter, BS

backing out of CPU reservations which were 30% slower and now 25% slower doesnt make the systems 1 to 2 fps differencewise

I believe he's saying a 1 to 2 fps difference for THEIR GAME. Not the consoles overall. Every engine is different, and every game pushes the hardware differently.

Then they could up the res, that is 50% wasted GPU...

What if they had the game running at 25fps at 1080p on PS4, but it runs at 45fps at 900p? At that point you lock it at 30fps and 900p. Which means there is much more overhead on the PS4, but because of them locking it down it appears the versions are identical.

ImAllergicToBullshit.GIF

Cmon UBI, give Jim Sterling a break, will ya?

giphy.gif

jayu26

You are not just digging a hole, you are digging your own grave Ubisoft. Stop saying anything regarding this issue.

That is, if this email is from an Ubisoft employee...which I have hard time believing.

Pastry

Banned
This really is about to define a next gen like no other game before. Mordor has next gen system and gameplay, but not graphics like Unity does. The proof comes in that game being cross gen.

Get out of here with this crap. It's like the guy was like okay well Mordor has better gameplay systems than us but at least we have pretty graphics. Mordor was able to achieve what it did and get to 1080p.

EGOMON

Ubisoft's email guy you can go and fuck off with your bs no one is buying it and hopefully the game too

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
its Ubisoft.
And Giant Bomb should confirm if that is a real developer and get one of their people to write an article that says Ubisoft employee confirms what everyone always believed: They fake their demos at E3 and they are not in real time.

Seems kind of a no-brainer article to me.

Ubisoft has had other 1080p titles on the Ps4. Why is it hard to believe this particular game was more demanding. Even the last assassins creed was 1080 on Ps4, but this has gone to far already, people are taking PR as the stone cold truth then dismissing words straight from the developers mouth

Uhh, Watchdogs was 900p on PS4, but with the exception of a few people no one seemed to care then...

Dysun

All this drama over the console versions and I just want to know what to expect from another shoddy Ubi PC port ;(

ymmv

Banned
Wouldn't you be if thousands of gamers lost there shit and threatened to cancel there preorder over something so trivial in the grand scheme of things?

It's not a trivial issue if MS stopped Ubisoft from making the PS4 version run in a higher resolution than the Xbox One version of the game. That's a dangerous precedent.

Jhn

All these responses, and we still don't know what's up with the resolution parity.

Yes, yes, we get it. You're CPU bound. You apparently use a lot of the CPU time to constantly load massive buffers for the GPU. You have ~25 gigs of baked GI.
None of this explains why the PS4 is not pushing more pixels. These things do not effect pixel fillrate significantly.

The Llama

If there's any truth in what he's saying (and thats a big if), sounds like they just coded it REALLY poorly by putting so much stuff on the CPU that should be on the GPU.

this year being over 900p doesn't matter, watch these same people (developers) optimize the engine for next year's game and bring it to 1080p and then say "OMG this makes so much difference, this is the REAL way to play Assassins Creed, buy our game this year!"

I think the next excuse I want is that the data fills the Blu-Ray so much that it's too heavy to spin inside the PS4 at 1080p.

It makes no sense, but they're on the fast track to stupid town with these terrible justifications.

SJRB

Gold Member
Makes me wonder why the boys from GiantBomb even mentioned this. Aren't they, like.. journalists? Videogame journalists?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Still just a bunch of CPU and framerate talk. Which is fine, but doesn't say shit about why they couldn't get the PS4 version to run at 1080p. That's all on the GPU side!

Astral Dog

Wait, now Assassins Creed is fun :p?

For their sake, i hope the PS4 game has better shadows, textures, and more of their famous NPC in Paris

It's not a trivial issue if MS stopped Ubisoft from making the PS4 version run in a higher resolution than the Xbox One version of the game. That's a dangerous precedent.

Yeah your right.

In other news Stanley Kubrick filmed the moon landing.

BajiBoxer

Banned
I wonder hoe much less of a shitstorm this would be if they'd just said "we worked hard on this for years, and this is what we've got."

orochi91

Makes me wonder why the boys from GiantBomb even mentioned this. Aren't they, like.. journalists? Videogame journalists?

Brad is naive to the point of being absurd.

Jeff has reservations about this situation, but Brad ain't wanting to hear.

The way I see it is that they put all their efforts into making the best game they could on Xbox One and the PS4 version was an afterthought. Kind of like having a lazy PC port.

Chobel

I believe 50% of the CPU is dedicated to helping the rendering by processing pre-packaged information, and in our case, much like Unreal 4, baked global illumination lighting.

Someone explain this to me. What exactly is the CPU is doing in this case? What is "pre-packaged information"?

fedexpeon

Banned
So they have been in developement for 4 years and only got 9fps 9 months ago?

Well, they have like 500+ people working on AC project.
I would believe anyone if they have said that Ubisoft structure is built around 1 person is assigned to 1 line of code then everyone throws their code in and hopes the game will run.
So yeah, it makes sense why it took them 4 years to get it running at 9fps.

SMZC

Keep fighting the good fight, Ubisoft. This kind of responses only serves to make me feel like I made the right call canceling Unity and buying Mordor instead. Which, by the way, is much more fun than Unity will probably ever be, considering the series' track record.

I also find it laughable that they mention that game, which manages to run at native 1080p, stating how much better their own game is, graphically, when resolution is crucial in order to truly appreciate a game's graphics. Even if Unity truly does have better graphics than Mordor I'm willing to bet that the latter looks better due to resolution alone.

Brad is naive to the point of being absurd.

Jeff has reservations about this situation, but Brad ain't wanting to hear.

Jeff expressed no reservations or doubts about this letter's authenticity. I think you were taking this "follow the money" joking last week a little too serious. lol

Sulik2

If the bottleneck is the CPU then this make a lot of sense. The component that is nearly the same in both the PS4 and the XB1 is the CPU. The extra GPU power and memory in the PS4 don't matter if they are not involved in the bottleneck. Sounds reasonable to me.

Top Bottom