• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2016 Edition ||

Thanks for the kind words TonkatsuAddict :D Good taste btw, I'm currently playing through Virtue's Last Reward ^^

You're playing through it for the first time?

PLEASE tell me you've played 999.

I can't have people playing the GOAT without playing the first game beforehand now can I? :)

Legendary game anyhow. Enjoy!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So in my quest to play through my 120 game Vita backlog, I've given Big Sky Infinity a go. It's okay, but it just made me want to play Super Stardust, really. It could be hard to distinguish between things that could hurt you and scenery, so there were a lot of cheap deaths. The music was really good though, and there are a lot of modes on offer. I might go back to it one day, but for now it hasn't grabbed me.
I LOVED Big Sky Infinity. One of the most under appreciated Vita games. I was quite high on the leaderboards at one point. Was my go to score attack game in earlier Vita days. It is flawed for some of the reasons you mention, but I found it bags of fun and addictive. Weirdly enough I'd take it over Super Stardust any day. But I'm weird.

VLiberty

Just saw on twitter from Infinite State Games

Wing Kings
2v6d1Ow.png

Tweet with preview vid

A Luftrausers clone? Might get if good.

I have now read through the list and I'm interested in 91 of the games that are coming to the west, on top of that I want 28 of the Japanese games localized ;)

However.. I find myself sceptical if some of the games on the list will make it to the Vita. These are the games that it feels like I haven't heard anything about or that I remember as being cancelled:

Nomnom galaxy
99 bricks
C-wars
Samurai gunn
Starbound
Not a hero
Snapshot

I also want to believe that Ronin is on it's way to the V, but can't remember it being announced at all :|

Labadal

I have now read through the list and I'm interested in 91 of the games that are coming to the west, on top of that I want 28 of the Japanese games localized ;)

However.. I find myself sceptical if some of the games on the list will make it to the Vita. These are the games that it feels like I haven't heard anything about or that I remember as being cancelled:

Nomnom galaxy
99 bricks
C-wars
Samurai gunn
Starbound
Not a hero
Snapshot

I also want to believe that Ronin is on it's way to the V, but can't remember it being announced at all :|
It was announced.

maaaaaan, i´d love to see tokyo xanadu, steins;gate 0 or chaos;child in the west.

why aren´t we getting any announcements for these? :D

Wozman23

I haven't seen any concrete info on Typoman coming to Vita. I thought it was just a WiiU exclusive, at least for now. Really hope it comes to another console.

Still hopelessly waiting on Snapshot as I loved the PC release. This was the last interaction I had with Retro Affect: psnstores. Since then (and quite some time before that) they haven't tweeted, or updated their facebook page or website. I think they use the word 'soon' too liberally.

Jerm411

Darkest Dungeon
The Banner Saga
Papers, Please
Salt & Sanctuary
Axiom Verge
World of Final Fantasy
Crossing Souls

Just off the top of my head...holy Christ I'm looking forward to Vita in 2016...

Man, some good shit coming. Replaced my OG launch Vita with a Neon Orange 2000 model recently. Should ship soon. Also got copies of Steins;Gate and Persona 4 Dancing on the way now.

Those as well as Stranger of Sword City + Digimon will make the first few months of this year quite Vita heavy for me, and I'm excited.

HotHamBoy

You're playing through it for the first time?

PLEASE tell me you've played 999.

I can't have people playing the GOAT without playing the first game beforehand now can I? :)

Legendary game anyhow. Enjoy!

I played 999. Boy, did I not think that was a good game. But I tend to think Japanese video game stories are pretty awful. So are the stories in western games, but I find the Japanese tropes to be really grating. Still, I can put up with it if the game is fun and i can skip the talking heads. However, when a game is JUST the story and a series of tedious point n click puzzles, I can't do it. But i finished 999, and i really don't understand why so many people praise those games so highly. But people like what they like.

VindicationDay

Neo Member
Honestly, with so many great games coming out next year for the Vita, the hardest part is going to be deciding what to play first!

I've still got a massive backlog, too, so I think I'll keep working through that. Considering giving Counterspy a play-through, as I've heard good things about it!

i-Jest

I counted at least 7 games that peaked my interest on OP's list. Still no Salt and Sanctuary though? The wait is painful but worth it I guess.

One thing I'm hoping after Last Blade 2 is released (and hopefully sells well enough) is to get a KOF game on the Vita - preferably '98 UM, 2000 or 2K2 UM. I spent part of my weekend playing a couple of KOF games and really want one to play on the go on my Vita. Either that or one of the Fatal Fury games (I'm not picky as long as its not the first one).

redcrayon

Some of the games have been MIA for a long time- we haven't heard anything on Blood of the Wereeolf in a long time either.

Still, there's loads to look forward to this year!

My most wanted:
Liege
Axiom Verge
Salt & Sanctuary
Slain
Iconoclasts
Darkest Dungeon
Hyper Light Drifter
Cosmic Star Heroine
Satsuma
Toukiden 2
Stranger of Sword City
God Eater 2

Shinriji

One thing I'm hoping after Last Blade 2 is released (and hopefully sells well enough) is to get a KOF game on the Vita - preferably '98 UM, 2000 or 2K2 UM. I spent part of my weekend playing a couple of KOF games and really want one to play on the go on my Vita. Either that or one of the Fatal Fury games (I'm not picky as long as its not the first one).

Preach. My vita is my portable SNK machine.

Proops to Ubisoft for supporting the Vita so much. I can't believe we're getting those Assassin's Creed games, and physical too. I thought they gave up on Vita when Valiant Hearts didn't get a Vita port. They even gave Child of Light a physical version for some reason.

I've got a backlog of at least 25 games on my Vita and I look forward to getting 100% trophies on all of them. I just started The Swapper and really love the atmosphere and setting. I'm a sucker for Sci-fi space games. Also fired up Switch Galaxy Ultra for the first time and am liking the comic book panel storytelling and again, Sci-fi game. I haven't read the entire OP yet but I already know there's probably another 25 plus games on it that I will be buying.

autoduelist

A Luftrausers clone? Might get if good.

At first I thought we might finally be getting a Wings of Fury clone... but yeah, i think now it might be more like Luftrausers. Which is still a good thing.

I played 999. Boy, did I not think that was a good game. But I tend to think Japanese video game stories are pretty awful. So are the stories in western games, but I find the Japanese tropes to be really grating. Still, I can put up with it if the game is fun and i can skip the talking heads. However, when a game is JUST the story and a series of tedious point n click puzzles, I can't do it. But i finished 999, and i really don't understand why so many people praise those games so highly. But people like what they like.

I can't handle the stories either, which is why I can't stand vns and have to suffer through my drpg plots. But i did like VLR, not because of the story, but because i like room escape puzzles.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
VLR is MUCH better and far less tedious. The fact you don't have to repeat the same puzzles over and over again alone makes it much better. The puzzles are also much more interesting, challenging and well made.

With that said it sound like you just don't like visual novels at all, and VLR is still very much a visual novel with lots of reading involved and is largely story focused.

Preach. My vita is my portable SNK machine.

What other SNK ports are worth grabbing on the Vita? I've only got Metal Slug 3 at the moment as I believe that's the only native Vita port? And that is an awesome port, decent graphics options and nice difficulty/lives options to actually make those "no continue" trophies possible (seriously, anyone that can legit 1CC the final level are incredibly talented in my eyes!).

Proops to Ubisoft for supporting the Vita so much. I can't believe we're getting those Assassin's Creed games, and physical too. I thought they gave up on Vita when Valiant Hearts didn't get a Vita port. They even gave Child of Light a physical version for some reason.

I still hope for a Valiant Hearts port, its pretty much the only thing I want from Ubisoft at this point. Its a really nice (if somewhat chilling) tale based on WW1 that really deserved a Vita (physical) port like Rayman Origins, Legends and Child of Light got.

I've got a backlog of at least 25 games on my Vita and I look forward to getting 100% trophies on all of them. I just started The Swapper and really love the atmosphere and setting. I'm a sucker for Sci-fi space games. Also fired up Switch Galaxy Ultra for the first time and am liking the comic book panel storytelling and again, Sci-fi game. I haven't read the entire OP yet but I already know there's probably another 25 plus games on it that I will be buying.

Swapper is another of those indies that I felt was perfect for the Vita. I liked the PC/PS4 versions but it was the Vita version that made me love the game. The minimal story with focus on puzzle rooms made it a great pick up and play game on the Vita, Trophies are hard to do without a guide in my opinion, they are fairly well hidden but worth going for.

Shinriji

What other SNK ports are worth grabbing on the Vita? I've only got Metal Slug 3 at the moment as I believe that's the only native Vita port? And that is an awesome port, decent graphics options and nice difficulty/lives options to actually make those "no continue" trophies possible (seriously, anyone that can legit 1CC the final level are incredibly talented in my eyes!).

MS3 is the only native vita game so far, but check it out the Neo Geo Station PSP games. They are older NG games, but the emulation and game option are really great. The collection psp games (Samurai Showdown, Metal Slug and KOF) aren't as good as the NGS games, YMMV and could be a good buy if you aren't too annoyed for their shortcomings. I don't recomend any PS1 port, only if you are dying to play some KOF99.

I have mixed feelings about the MS3 port. It is servicable, but it lacks on some areas comparing with the M2 games.

Yes! One of the main reasons I'm excited about the Last Blade 2 port is that it will help fill the void left by no proper KoF ports on the system. I have the PS1 versions of '94 & '95 on there, but they're missing a good deal of animation. Plus, I prefer the '98 style gameplay. A '98 UM port would be perfect!

At first I thought we might finally be getting a Wings of Fury clone... but yeah, i think now it might be more like Luftrausers. Which is still a good thing.

Speaking to the devs, they're selling it as Dogfight meets Glory Days 2, as there'll be automated ground army elements, too. It'll have score attack and leaderboards, along with Spelunky-esque daily or weekly challenges. No online multiplayer, as they said they don't have to manpower to get it to a level they'd be confident in serving - perhaps in a sequel.

Otherwise, yeah, Wing Kings! Keen!

Swapper is another of those indies that I felt was perfect for the Vita. I liked the PC/PS4 versions but it was the Vita version that made me love the game. The minimal story with focus on puzzle rooms made it a great pick up and play game on the Vita, Trophies are hard to do without a guide in my opinion, they are fairly well hidden but worth going for.

I've got the guide open in the vita browser and yeah, I would not have found any of those terminals on my own.

I just wanted to add how great the Vita as a platform is for going after trophies and just gaming in general. Being able to have a guide open in the browser while I'm playing my games, and the ability to listen to my favorite podcasts while doing all of this (lifesaver for grindy trophs).

I went through most of the OP and saw close to 100 games in that list that I would buy/play. It's nice knowing there will be no shortage of games over the next year.

MS3 is the only native vita game so far, but check it out the Neo Geo Station PSP games. They are older NG games, but the emulation and game option are really great. The collection psp games (Samurai Showdown, Metal Slug and KOF) aren't as good as the NGS games, YMMV and could be a good buy if you aren't too annoyed for their shortcomings. I don't recomend any PS1 port, only if you are dying to play some KOF99.

I have mixed feelings about the MS3 port. It is servicable, but it lacks on some areas comparing with the M2 games.

That's handy to know regarding the NG Station games. I'll check those out. Thanks :)

I've got the guide open in the vita browser and yeah, I would not have found any of those terminals on my own.

I just wanted to add how great the Vita as a platform is for going after trophies and just gaming in general. Being able to have a guide open in the browser while I'm playing my games, and the ability to listen to my favorite podcasts while doing all of this (lifesaver for grindy trophs).

I went through most of the OP and saw close to 100 games in that list that I would buy/play. It's nice knowing there will be no shortage of games over the next year.

I'm the same way with the Vita, both in terms of listening to podcasts when going after trophies (I usually listen to the games soundtrack on my first playthrough, and then turn to podcasts etc. if I'm not a fan of the music when trophy chasing).
Plus I just love 100%ing Vita games, I'm more inclined to try 100%ing a Vita game compared to a console/PC game for some odd reason. It does introduce me to fun challenges though - like trying to do no death runs on Meat Boy (about half way there I think), some of the crazy additional modes on Titan Souls, I ended up addicted to Flame Over for a while (still waiting on the patch :( ).

Only thing I still don't like are online based trophies. Trying to win a match on Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 is impossible. Not due to connection quality or lack of skill, but due to people always quitting out on me at the last second!

...why have I never thought to do this? I'm always fiddling with my phone, or running to my computer. Guess I know what I'm doing next time I run into an issue in Demon Gaze.

Takao

Banned

Nomnom galaxy
99 bricks
C-wars
Samurai gunn
Starbound
Not a hero
Snapshot

Nom Nom Galaxy and 99 Bricks were cancelled. I suspect Not A Hero and Starbound will join them.

So, these are the games that interest me:

Cross Reverie
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
World of Final Fantasy
Darkest Dungeon
Salt & Sanctuary
Setsuna

I might play some of them on PS4 though.

mr_chun

Thread blows my mind. Love my Vita.

Umm this game, I feel like, has been in development forever. Shame, really wanted it at one point.

Gunship X
oZjKMu8.jpg

So I've given BlazBlue an hour or so...found it pretty unaccessable, to be honest. I do love a good 2D fighter but I just couldn't get into it. Pretty sure Street Fighter X Tekken will be more like my jam (when I eventually get that far into the backlog...)

Broken Age up next!

2016 Vita Backlog Blitz

Big Sky Infinity - 1 hour
BlazBlue: Contiuum Shift Extend - 1 hour

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So I've given BlazBlue an hour or so...found it pretty unaccessable, to be honest. I do love a good 2D fighter but I just couldn't get into it. Pretty sure Street Fighter X Tekken will be more like my jam (when I eventually get that far into the backlog...)

Broken Age up next!

2016 Vita Backlog Blitz

Big Sky Infinity - 1 hour
BlazBlue: Contiuum Shift Extend - 1 hour
I didn't even finish the tutorial. Also I couldn't get in to Street Fighter X Tekken either.

Divekick has ruined all other fighting games for me. God damn I'm so fucking pissed that game never took off. I'd still be playing it daily if you could find people online. I can't be bothered to learn fighting games and remember movelists. Divekick was my jam.

RPGam3r

Threads like this make me wonder if I should un-retire my Vita. Or even better just offer an app on PS4 that can play these.

These are the games that it feels like I haven't heard anything about or that I remember as being cancelled:

Nomnom galaxy
99 bricks
C-wars
Samurai gunn
Starbound
Not a hero
Snapshot

Yeah, as Takao points out, two of those have been officially cancelled so need striking. I seem to remember some rumblings about Not a Hero on Vita running into some difficulties but can't find them right now. Starbound just seems like a mess everywhere, let alone on Vita. Snapshot almost seems officially gone, it's been so long since we heard anything.

And to be honest, I'm skeptical about a lot of things on this list, either because it's been so long since we've heard something from them (Murasaki Mist; Upside Down Dimensions); technical difficulties (things like Recruits running on Unreal) or because they're Kickstarter projects which seem to have run into problems (Soul Saga; Project Phoenix). I also have to wonder about Airship Q, given how much it bombed in Japan.

Guess we'll have to cross our fingers and see, but at some point I suspect these games will just be gone as Vita becomes more and more commercially nonviable.

autoduelist

...why have I never thought to do this? I'm always fiddling with my phone, or running to my computer. Guess I know what I'm doing next time I run into an issue in Demon Gaze.

Turn off javascript in the vita browser for best performance. I've found this vastly improves usage of some sites, including gamefaqs (pages stop trying to reload constantly, etc). Also, try to limit the number of web pages open at one time... if a site has trouble loading while a game is open, close all other tabs first and try again... if that doesn't work, close and reopen the browser. Usually for any given rpg I often have 3 or so pages open for it w/ no problem.

Yeah, as Takao points out, two of those have been officially cancelled so need striking. I seem to remember some rumblings about Not a Hero on Vita running into some difficulties but can't find them right now. Starbound just seems like a mess everywhere, let alone on Vita. Snapshot almost seems officially gone, it's been so long since we heard anything.

And to be honest, I'm skeptical about a lot of things on this list, either because it's been so long since we've heard something from them (Murasaki Mist; Upside Down Dimensions); technical difficulties (things like Recruits running on Unreal) or because they're Kickstarter projects which seem to have run into problems (Soul Saga; Project Phoenix). I also have to wonder about Airship Q, given how much it bombed in Japan.

Guess we'll have to cross our fingers and see, but at some point I suspect these games will just be gone as Vita becomes more and more commercially nonviable.

Airship Q at least should be getting an English patch early next year. Worst case scenario is importing the Asian version of the game (which I'm sure I'll end up doing!)

Skii

Are all these games making Western releases?

EDIT: OP answered my question. Should maybe read it before posting :/

Me too. Would be good with touch screen I imagine?
Have it on PC anyway but would be nice portable

Yeah, touch screen support should be ace. I assume it'll work like the iPad version which I've heard good things about.

Is skull girls still coming to vita this month?

I believe so, I've heard nothing to the contrery at least. I'm looking forward to grabbing it myself, the Vita has quite a nice 2D fighter line up, pity Capcom never ported one of the iterations of Street Fighter IV to the Vita. It ran great on the 3DS with some cuts here and there. I'd have loved to have that alongside Ultimate MvC3. I guess SFxT will have to do in that regard, its a game I like, but nowhere near as much as SFIV.

mr_chun

Threads like this make me wonder if I should un-retire my Vita. Or even better just offer an app on PS4 that can play these.
In the words of the great, alternate-dimension video-game-afficionado Andrew Zimmern, "next time you're interested in a Vita game just remember: if it looks good, play it."

I'm not sure I really understand the concept of retiring a console that has an active development scene. Like, if you see a game that looks fun you'll be like "ehh I'd play it but I retired my Vita"?

Top Bottom