• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (~200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2017 Edition ||

BTA

6qD6HGT.jpg

Not sure if this has been posted but apparently Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology was originally developed for Vita. However, things came to a halt when director Mitsuru Hirata had to go work on Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE. When the team restarted the project, they realized that 3DS market share was way bigger, therefore they decided to put the game on 3DS instead. Source is from an interview in the special artbook included in Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology Perfect Edition.
http://krsw.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1498714819/

I... have mixed feelings about this. I'm sure a Vita remake would have to have more improvements, but at the same time, the friends I want to play RH don't have Vitas and will likely buy the 3DS release. Also, I loved TMS, so maybe this is an acceptable loss...

Probably going to get a new Vita soon, just want to have a back up

6qD6HGT.jpg

Not sure if this has been posted but apparently Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology was originally developed for Vita. However, things came to a halt when director Mitsuru Hirata had to go work on Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE. When the team restarted the project, they realized that 3DS market share was way bigger, therefore they decided to put the game on 3DS instead. Source is from an interview in the special artbook included in Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology Perfect Edition.
http://krsw.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1498714819/

Crying inside. TMS has disappointed me more than I thought. That said, I have a 3ds so it's no big loss other than system preference. Hopefully they allow us to use the older portraits when it's localized.

mollipen

Well my Slim arrived yesterday. Its a great looking console and I love the matt finish to the plastic BUT oh my, the screen is a country mile away from the OLED. This was the first time I'd seen them side-by-side in the flesh and I'm amazed how different they look. The default Vita background looks like a cobalt-blue on the OLED and a washed out cyan on the Slim. The colour temperature also seems to be a lot warmer. Is this the case on all slims or is it like the 3DS with varying temperatures dependant on the batch.

This is the first step that everyone who goes from OLED Vita to LCD Vita goes through. You do the side-by-side comparison and can't believe how much worse the LCD screen looks. The first few days you're using it, you're wondering if you'll ever get used to it, and if you made a mistake in buying the newer Vita.

A month later, the screen will look fantastic to you, and you won't even give it another thought.

Takao

Banned
Every Atlus Japan release on Vita has been successful, but that's not enough for them to actually want to develop new content on it themselves.

Fady K

Hi guys, I sincerely apologize for the lack of support on this thread in recent months, I feel like my Vita thread support has been as weak as Sony's for the Vita ;_;

I had a couple of things in mind, first and foremost, I want to all the latest updates to this thread as soon as possible obviously. Second, I wanted to ask the community here - as Sony is (and I say this with great disappointment) obviously not following up the Vita with a successor (nor do they care much at all for the current platform), would you guys like to see a thread like this for the Switch in the very near future?

Thoughts and feedback all appreciated. Would love to know. Be safe y'all.

Hi guys, I sincerely apologize for the lack of support on this thread in recent months, I feel like my Vita thread support has been as weak as Sony's for the Vita ;_;

I had a couple of things in mind, first and foremost, I want to all the latest updates to this thread as soon as possible obviously. Second, I wanted to ask the community here - as Sony is (and I say this with great disappointment) obviously not following up the Vita with a successor (nor do they care much at all for the current platform), would you guys like to see a thread like this for the Switch in the very near future?

Welcome back dude. I don't have a Switch but if you're willing to make it the labour of love you've made this one, I'm sure people would love a similar thread!

I'm sure a Switch thread with this much effort in would be a very popular place. I won't be going there, at least not until 2019, just because I don't plan on owning a Switch for a while!

(I hope you're planning on keeping this thread going through 2018 though, which is about as long as I expect Vita to keep kicking)

Also, hi Fady!

Fady K

Welcome back dude. I don't have a Switch but if you're willing to make it the labour of love you've made this one, I'm sure people would love a similar thread!

I'm sure a Switch thread with this much effort in would be a very popular place. I won't be going there, at least not until 2019, just because I don't plan on owning a Switch for a while!

(I hope you're planning on keeping this thread going through 2018 though, which is about as long as I expect Vita to keep kicking)

Also, hi Fady!

Thank you friends for the feedback :D I missed you guys T_T This pains me because i'd love nothing more than to start up a thread on Sony's Vita successor. My hope is that Switch's success convinces Sony to have a hybrid console next.

Ventara

I just noticed that Xanadu Ex is releasing later this year. I was still torn on whether I should cancel my PS4 copy and just stick to my Vita version. At least now, I can play the Vita version and then decide.

i-Jest

I don't know about you guys, but I'm looking forward to the full Falcom interview by Azario Lopez from Dual Shockers. I felt kinda relieved to read that Falcom addressed the idea of bringing the Evolution games to the west, albeit with a degree of uncertainty:

When speaking about plans to localize Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki, Kondo-san said:

That’s something that I really really want to do, and it’s something that I’ll have to work with our partners or find a partner to make it happen.

I won't lie, that answer put a smile on my face for a good hour. Who'd want to partner up with them to make that a reality? Is Xseed still a possibility at this point, or are they even ideal for the task? If not them, then who is ideal and would they still be willing to localize for Vita?

We also followed up with asking about the “Evolution” series of the Trails in the Sky series, a port of the PSP titles on PlayStation Vita which adds graphical improvements and story content.

As you mentioned, those titles are only on the Vita and we kind of know what’s going on with the Vita right now. So now it turns into who can get those done and ported in time. That said, obviously my dream and my desire is for everyone to play these games, so I’m constantly thinking of a way to make that a possibility. As you know some of our older titles have been coming to Steam, so perhaps in the future that might be one option for us to pursue.

So they obviously know Vita isn't doing gang busters here in the west. Personally I think of Vita as a platform for smaller developers and publishers to find a crowd that likes to play genres or games not normally mentioned or liked by a bigger audience. That way they have less competition for attracting buyers and establishing themselves. Now if the games are gonna come to the west does that mean they're going to strictly be Vita releases or Vita releases at all?

Coming away from the article, I ask myself: "Am I better off importing and waiting for fan translations? Should I keep the faith and wait to see what happens?" Are the games slowly getting hard to come by now, and if so should I give more consideration to importing?

t26

Honestly there other than Xseed no one is going to pick up Zero no Kiseki, and that's only if they believe the sales of 3rd is enough for them to continue.

TIqUNcJ.jpg

When your average RPGs has around 600-700k characters, the it is hard for any company to put in the time and resources to work on Zero

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Honestly there other than Xseed no one is going to pick up Zero no Kiseki, and that's only if they believe the sales of 3rd is enough for them to continue.

TIqUNcJ.jpg

When your average RPGs has around 600-700k characters, the it is hard for any company to put in the time and resources to work on Zero

Kiseki games famously have ~1.2, 1.5, 2.5 million characters.

Edit: Yeah, I should read.

(By the by, at a fair, respectable localization rate, Zero no Kiseki would represent about $200,000 in translation costs alone.)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

Fady K doing the upcoming Switch games thread... i didn't see that coming, i guess this is the last one for Vita :(

Well good luck Fady K, the Switch thread will be very popular, i don't think i'll be there since i choose the dark side and went with the GPD Win(for some reason i never go to the bright side of the more popular handhelds lol) because i preferred the ability to play all the indies, the classics, some bigger games all for dirty cheap, other than emulation and other things, all good and all but i really miss a dedicated community like the one that Vita(and Switch) has and seeying that even the vita one is going to an end is so sad. :'(

Jimrpg

Well my Slim arrived yesterday. Its a great looking console and I love the matt finish to the plastic BUT oh my, the screen is a country mile away from the OLED. This was the first time I'd seen them side-by-side in the flesh and I'm amazed how different they look. The default Vita background looks like a cobalt-blue on the OLED and a washed out cyan on the Slim. The colour temperature also seems to be a lot warmer. Is this the case on all slims or is it like the 3DS with varying temperatures dependant on the batch.

Oh and any have any UK gaf got their Broken age yet?

The LCD can definitely seem like its slightly washed out compared to the deeper colours and less bright screen of the OLED particularly in the menus and the OS wallpapers, however once you're in game I think the LCD is pretty close. I haven't tested side by side, but I've been pretty happy in game.

Yeah, I ended up hitting a wall at the Onsen boss because my party just wasn't good enough. I thought Dark Lord would be a good DPS class against bosses, when it's actually a mob cleaner. And I'm between respec levels, so whatever I do I'm stuck grinding for hours and hours, which I didn't have the patience for. It's a shame, because it was a good game.

Yep and there aren't any good guides out there really for the game. There's a decent one on gamefaqs regarding character development and skill sets, but nothing really about bosses.

Does anyone else's ps vita slim cartridge flap kind of stick up a bit? Mine closes, but seems to not rest flush against the system.

That's weird, mine's flush.

I finished my review of Jak II on Vita, for anyone interested (I loved it, despite the performance issues):

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2017/06/29/vita-jak-ii-renegade-review/

It's probably gonna be overshadowed by Tokyo Xanadu reviews today though. Read my review first! :(

(Here's Dualshockers review of TX. Sounds good:

http://www.dualshockers.com/tokyo-xanadu-review-playstation-vita-new/

Hey I really respect that you gave it a good score despite it having technical issues. I find that reviewers can sometimes pick on bugs in games a little too much. I find I can overlook technical things when the game is good. Souls games are a good example.

redcrayon

Hi Fady, welcome back!

Good to hear of a tidy up for this thread. I'd definitely be interested in a Switch thread too as I'm planning on picking one up at the end of the year.

mollipen

200.gif

i thought the EU game had been delayed to the middle of July, atleast the physical version because it's on the store now

I don't know, some other stores like 365games claim to have the standard edition next week.

But I got a response from SegaSykes: It's the US LE. The EU LE does not exist.

Cornbread78

because I am week...

xnz2UwP.jpg

I went to pick up my copy of Toyko Xanadu and walked out with God Wars as well..

Plus, as an added bonus, they gave me that sweet Ni No Kuni II poster, since I already had the game on pre-order...

Aokage

Tokyo Xanadu and God Wars are next on my Vita to-buy list. Any other major Vita releases in the past couple of years that I should put on the list? :)

You're extending your range back two years? :O

Hrmmm... Off the top of my head (and sticking to NA region, which is not my home region and I'm thus not ultra familiar with it)...

Nonary Games
A Rose in the Twilight
Stranger of Sword City Revisited
New Danganronpa V3
Ys Origin
Utawarerumono
Exist Archive
Dragon Quest Builders
World of Final Fantasy
XCOM Enemy Unknown Plus
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
Adventures of Mana
Shiren the Wanderer
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth
Code: Realize

...Tons of others I'm forgetting, I'm sure. I'm tired.

This game's supposed to be kinda cool when it comes out:

cshvita.png

Cornbread78

Tokyo Xanadu and God Wars are next on my Vita to-buy list. Any other major Vita releases in the past couple of years that I should put on the list? :)

Trails of Cold Steel 1&2
World of Final Fantasy
Digimon; Cyber Sleuth
Steins;Gate
Sword Art Online; Lost Song
Borderlands 2 (some technical hic ups, but still....)

Slightly Older:
Tales of Heart R
Disgaea 4
Sword Art Online; Hollow Fragment

cshvita.png

LOL, I see it on my PS4 menu every time I boot up, but I'm waiting for the Vita version to dig in, lol.

You're extending your range back two years? :O

That's the reason why - didn't really buy any games for the past couple years while I was finishing up CSH since I didn't have the time or the money for them. Now that the game is out (albeit I'm still working on updates & ports), I have more free time & some money here and there. So far on the Vita side since we released our game, I've picked up Trails SC (technically a PSP game) & Tales of Hearts R (since it's only about $10 in the sale now and I'd like to try a portable Tales game), but that's pretty much it.

Cornbread78

That's the reason why - didn't really buy any games for the past couple years while I was finishing up CSH since I didn't have the time or the money for them. Now that the game is out (albeit I'm still working on updates & ports), I have more free time & some money here and there. So far on the Vita side since we released our game, I've picked up Trails SC (technically a PSP game) & Tales of Hearts R (since it's only about $10 in the sale now and I'd like to try a portable Tales game), but that's pretty much it.

You should be happy with Tales. It's standard Tales fare, but has a pretty fun cast and a decent story.

Aokage

Makes perfect sense! Then you have missed a lot of really great stuff that would definitely be up your alley. I'm not ultra-familiar with NA region (mine is JP), but I know all the games I listed have been localized and all are worth playing. Quality FF, DQ, a vastly underrated (and gorgeous) spiritual successor to Valkyrie Profile by tri-Ace, a pretty darn good full remake of Seiken Densetsu with an astonishing arranged soundtrack...and if you haven't done Cold Steel I & II, those are most definitely a must.

Aokage

A couple exceptionally deep cuts just arrived from Europe.

Awesome GAFfer who helped me snag the Rayman double pack, you know who you are! Many thanks.

Fady K

Fady K doing the upcoming Switch games thread... i didn't see that coming, i guess this is the last one for Vita :(

Well good luck Fady K, the Switch thread will be very popular, i don't think i'll be there since i choose the dark side and went with the GPD Win(for some reason i never go to the bright side of the more popular handhelds lol) because i preferred the ability to play all the indies, the classics, some bigger games all for dirty cheap, other than emulation and other things, all good and all but i really miss a dedicated community like the one that Vita(and Switch) has and seeying that even the vita one is going to an end is so sad. :'(

Not yet on that boat by the way, not comfortable with the idea until I know for a fact that the idea of a Vita successor is bang-on not happening for at least a few years. It's funny cause I'm not on the Switch bandwagon that many people are happily riding these days. For now I think I'll make many patches to the thread's list and remain hopeful :D

Hi Fady, welcome back!

Good to hear of a tidy up for this thread. I'd definitely be interested in a Switch thread too as I'm planning on picking one up at the end of the year.

Long time no see bud :D Yes, I owe this thread a big cleanup...will work on it. I hope we'll have a Sony portable to look forward to in the near future. Maybe a hybrid on the PS5 like the switch?

Shidoshi :p Been a fan of your taste for ages. Currently I am planning to make a big update to this thread and go back to the frequent updates ;D As much as I find the Switch appealing, I very much am more interested in seeing a Vita successor of sorts, even if that means a hybrid PS5 console a la the switch. I am sincerely hoping for that because, despite enjoying platforms from the big three + Steam, I enjoy games on PS platforms the most, caters to my tastes the most.

Arthos

because I am week...

I went to pick up my copy of Toyko Xanadu and walked out with God Wars as well..

Plus, as an added bonus, they gave me that sweet Ni No Kuni II poster, since I already had the game on pre-order...

This is going to be me as well. Noticed the local GS had a copy of God Wars left when I went to preorder Tokyo Xandu yesterday and I feel like I'll leave the store with both games.

THE BACKLOG THO

Tonton

I'm gonna want to mention Brandish the Dark Revenant for another PSP game released on the same year as SC ;)

I'm also gonna be the guy to say Digimon Cyber Sleuth was rather mediocre and you should only get it if you're craving for a Digimon JRPG (that was me so I don't regret getting it on sale and will probably do the same to the sequel)

redcrayon

These are the ones I bought and enjoyed:

Grand Kingdom
Odin Sphere
Toukiden 2
Ys Origin
Trails of Cold Steel 1/2
Stranger of Sword City
Adventures of Mana
Operation Abyss/Operation Babel

mollipen

Shidoshi :p Been a fan of your taste for ages. Currently I am planning to make a big update to this thread and go back to the frequent updates ;D As much as I find the Switch appealing, I very much am more interested in seeing a Vita successor of sorts, even if that means a hybrid PS5 console a la the switch. I am sincerely hoping for that because, despite enjoying platforms from the big three + Steam, I enjoy games on PS platforms the most, caters to my tastes the most.

No, I don't blame people getting excited for the Switch. I hated the "don't put this out on Vita, move it to Switch" cries and still do, but I've come to like the system a lot more than I had expected to through using our office one. I don't think it's the perfect handheld, and I'm with you in wanting to see another system in the PSP/Vita line. If Switch ends up taking over the position the Vita was in, however... I won't be sad about that? It's the best thing Nintendo has done in years so far as I'm concerned, and I actually do think at this point it could not only serve as a successor, but as a good one.

I'm worried about whether the kinds of stuff I love on the Vita will move to the Switch—that's my biggest fear at this point. If they do, I'll be there (once I get mine).

Fady K

No, I don't blame people getting excited for the Switch. I hated the "don't put this out on Vita, move it to Switch" cries and still do, but I've come to like the system a lot more than I had expected to through using our office one. I don't think it's the perfect handheld, and I'm with you in wanting to see another system in the PSP/Vita line. If Switch ends up taking over the position the Vita was in, however... I won't be sad about that? It's the best thing Nintendo has done in years so far as I'm concerned, and I actually do think at this point it could not only serve as a successor, but as a good one.

I'm worried about whether the kinds of stuff I love on the Vita will move to the Switch—that's my biggest fear at this point. If they do, I'll be there (once I get mine).

I agree, I find that kind of request extremely odd, especially those who celebrated the decision to skip a Vita version of a game whilst bringing over the Switch version (look at the Nights of Azure 2 thread hehe). I'm glad you're enjoying it though, bottom line is - it is the only "handheld" at the moment which offers such lush graphics and - so far - the only one we can expect a healthy number of new games on. If the next best thing in line to a Vita successor is a Switch, then so be it. It beats not having any quality handheld to play on, right? I hope this actually sets a precedent for Sony (not expecting Microsoft to get on with this path) to follow with the hybrid formula. Here's hoping for the best :D Let's see what plans Sony will have regarding a potential hybrid. It's a genius idea honestly; if they were inspired by the motion controls by the mega successful Wii, they have to take notice of this. This will not only help them in the Japanese market tremendously (possibly) but also with folks like us who love handheld gaming. What do you think?

Hey I really respect that you gave it a good score despite it having technical issues. I find that reviewers can sometimes pick on bugs in games a little too much. I find I can overlook technical things when the game is good. Souls games are a good example.

Thanks. I feel like I'm fighting a lone fight with this kinda stuff sometimes. Like, I don't condone low-effort Vita ports and will point out when they're bad, but so far I've yet to play a game where the performance is so bad I can't enjoy it.

Like, Jak 2 is pretty much a constant ~ 15fps in the city, yet it's still a fantastic game.

Lots of great games already mentioned. Gonna throw two in here that I don't think will get a lot of love - Root Letter (better VN than you'd think; very slow paced yet intriguing too) and Trillion: God of Destruction (fanservice-laden, yet arguably the most unique thing Compile Heart have ever made).

I've written reviews for both of them if you're interested (hoping my review of Hearts R I linked on Twitter helped with your decisions):

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2017/01/29/vita-root-letter-review/

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2017/01/15/vita-trillion-god-of-destruction-review/

Jimrpg

Ok I pretty much did this myself - catch up on Vita games over the last few years.

My recommendations are:

Dragon Quest Builders - I'm playing the PS4 version right now, but I think the Vita version is pretty much identical gameplay wise and from what i've seen looks really good on the Vita too. The game is so relaxing most of the time, when there are battles it does get a little more full on, but most of the battles aren't very difficult. The beauty of the game is that there's always something to do, something to craft and build. Going out into the world and finding resources is also bizarrely fun.

Dragon's Crown - It's like Diablo but as a 2D side scroller. The art is worth playing alone, but I think its one of if not the best Vanillaware game. Vita performance is excellent.

Dungeon Travelers 2 - This is a really impressive dungeon crawler, where the gameplay systems are intuitive and fun and the concepts aren't too hard to grasp, yet the job system really makes this game incredibly deep. There are just countless ways to upgrade your characters and adjust your party. The only issue is if you screw up your levelling up you might find you end up having to grind a bit to skill up in other areas. Otherwise the game is superb and the dungeon crawling is really fun and throws different things at you every chapter. Excuse the unnecessary sexual content.

Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf - This is an oldie, but if you haven't picked it up, its still available at many places for cheap. Such a great golf game.

Oreshika - I haven't played this yet, even though its been sitting on my system for almost 2 years. But the game is so beautiful, its definitely a must buy just to check out the amazing art. Only on Vita too, if I'm not mistaken. There's a physical Asian region version with English.

Shantae Half Genie Hero - I hear this one is getting sold out at most places, and the game looks gorgeous on the Vita. Worth picking up soon.

Steins;Gate - My favourite Visual Novel. Just a huge rollercoaster ride from start to finish, doubly so if you like time machine stories and science fiction. There's a sequel Steins;Gate 0 if you like Steins;Gate too.

Superbeat Xonic - Music game genre might be past its heyday, but Superbeat Xonic is a great game with music that feels really fresh. From the devs that made DJ Max Technica Tune.

Terraria - The best way to play Terraria is on the Vita and just $14 on Amazon.

Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception / Mast of Truth - Two part VN/Strategy game with Mask of Deception having released in May, and Mask of Truth will come out in September. Have to watch the anime first before playing the game. People are already raving about the game.

Ys Memories of Celceta - Most of the other Ys games are on Steam, but not Memories of Celceta (which I believe is also not on PS4 or any of the other recent consoles for that matter).

Apologies if the screens used aren't from the PS Vita version!

Top Bottom