• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (~200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2017 Edition ||

Jimrpg

I'll be honest, it's not like we didn't know Vita was approaching it's last leg; one can even argue we're there now. I don't know how well, if at all, the Switch can replace the possibility of what the Vita symbolized; that is to say the Vita is a platform for niche games and for developers and publishers to find an audience with little competition in the way, but we'll have to wait and see how well the console adapts to third party development. I read that the Battle Chasers Nightwar developer wished Switch had more power to do what is was the team wanted to achieve but they had to make things work with what was available. So again, we'll be playing the waiting game to see if Switch can be what Vita is and even more.

Rant/

I'll probably get a Switch somewhere down the line for the kids when its on sale, but I don't have a whole lot of faith in Nintendo giving me what the Vita offers, which is reasonably priced games and enough interesting third party titles. Their track record suggests they would have to go against the grain and deliver in a Sony manner for them to do this.

That's why I'm totally happy sitting out for now and seeing how it plays out and what third parties will develop for the system. At the moment, its a bit of a mixed bag, looks like KT are betting on the system and EA being EA. At the moment, there's still time for it to go either way, but honestly I fear Nintendo are going to fall into the same trap they did with the Wii U, which is to go with their first party titles alone and not do some deals with prominent third parties.

Sony don't look like they're a company that want to do a Vita 2 either so maybe handhelds will just be a thing of the past.

Also I don't know if its just a US/Japan thing, but I was in Australia for a couple of weeks last month, I went into one of the bigger stores (JB Hifi Chadstone) that sell video games, the Switch area was tiny (maybe about 2 shelves, 10 games)? I'd have expected them to take alot more shelf space even with so few games. Nintendo has always had the smallest section (apart from when the Wii was on sale), and I just don't know if retail is that interested in Switch. It's mostly about the PS4.

the main issue is that the vita is sort of a sales vampire. yeah you have a small, dedicated fanbase of ps vita owners, but if 1,000 of them get a preorder of a game and 2,000 get a ps4 version, then that might mean 20,000 in orders. meanwhile if there was no ps vita version and you had 2,500 in preorders you might get 20,000 in orders anyway, except at a higher price and with a lower platform charge. it's hit the point where a ps vita version at retail is kind of a risk to other skus.

Well, a lot of Vita fans are collectors, I bet they'd buy both the PS4 and Vita versions anyway. Like the way Tokyo Xanadu or Ys VIII have extra content on the PS4 versions, I'm sure people will get both.

I feel like every year people say this is the last year of Psvita....

Logic says this year it is, with that it outlived alot of consoles.

Jimrpg

The other thing I wanted to say was - I think Vita did a pretty good job this year.

When I looked back at the OP, we got most of the Japanese titles and really it was most of the indie titles that haven't made it.

Even with that I have quite a few titles I haven't purchased yet so I'll still have things to buy for next year (if there are still copies left).

I'm screwed if this is the last year of the vita since I literally bought one this wednesday lmfao. Playing ffxhd on this is sooooo gooooooood ugh.

The overpriced memory cards are the pits though I will never not despise them.

Jimrpg

I'm screwed if this is the last year of the vita since I literally bought one this wednesday lmfao. Playing ffxhd on this is sooooo gooooooood ugh.

Why though? Enjoy the amazing Vita library, it'll last you next year and beyond. If you like FFXHD there's lots of interesting JRPGs like Trails of Cold Steel, Atelier Series, Tokyo Xanadu, Ys VIII to name a few.

Yes the memory card thing was arrogant Sony at its worst. :(

If you've just bought one there's a back-library that will last you many, many years.

redcrayon

End of life is the best time to buy a console. A few minutes research and you can see the hundreds of games available and then buy the ones you want, rather than waiting for months/years.

Where's Takao these days? He posted an interesting interview with Igarashi on reddit that includes this interesting bit:

AT: Can Nintendo Switch owners expect a similar level of background detail as the platform shown off in the trailers?

KI: Currently, we’re not in the middle of porting to Nintendo Switch just yet, but we are starting porting to PS Vita. In comparison to that porting process, we feel confident that the environments will look pretty similar, but we can’t say for sure until we really look into the Nintendo Switch specs and see what it’s like building a game for it.

So they've started porting to Vita, but sounds like we're taking a hit to environmental detail. I'm okay with that :p

Agram

Hi guys
I have a question but I didn't want to necro-bump old threads.
So, I want to buy a Vita, yes I'm late, but better late than never.
The problem is, I live in Croatia and literally no store has had Vita in stock for years so I want to know what is the best place to buy it online with reasonable shipping prices. Amazon.jp has a big selection but I never ordered something from Japan. Idk, what is the best option?

Saphirax

Hi guys
The problem is, I live in Croatia and literally no store has had Vita in stock for years so I want to know what is the best place to buy it online with reasonable shipping prices. Amazon.jp has a big selection but I never ordered something from Japan. Idk, what is the best option?

I don't think Amazon.jp ships anything besides books/cds/dvds to Croatia. Even if they did, the customs fee would be high. Your best bet would be to order from within the EU. I got mine from amazon.co.uk, but that's...not really an option anymore :p.

Hi guys

Play-Asia has been 100% reliable for me, but Buygame2 have the best prices for new Vitas at the moment I think, £150. I've placed two orders there, one went fine, one they cancelled because they ran out of stock. So difficult to judge.

jzbluz

Hi guys

If you want to order from Amazon.jp, you can check how much they will charge in regards to shipping and customs fees before you confirm the order.

Jimrpg

So does anyone have the white Vita with the black border?

ps-vita-playstation-vita-new-slim-model-pch2000-glacier-white-426441.3.jpg

Im wondering if it picks up dirt or goes yellow over time or if it looks like still new after extensive use.

I have the aqua blue and doesn't look like it gets dirty easily. Also had the OLED which was perfectly fine after 5 years. If the white gets dirty I'll have to either get the black (which is the least interesting colour) or import the red (which is totally awesome).

BouncyFrag

If you've just bought one there's a back-library that will last you many, many years.
I got a vita a few weeks ago after getting extremely interested in Japanese games after playing Persona 5 and Yakuza 0. So many games and most are $10-20. I've been playing Ys Origin and it's great. I just did a ng+ run of P4G and loved it. I played it first on a cheap pstv I got on the cheap a year ago and, tbh, the pstv doesn't do justice to how much better P4G looks and feels on an actual Vita.

I haven't had this much fun in gaming in ages. Amazing back catalog is amazing.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)

Woo, Teslagrad (unavailable in my region)! Now all I need is the second Tadeo Jones game (allegedly pretty decent) and my general release EU Vita collecting is done.

I finished a review of Killzone Mercenary, for anyone interested who hasn't already played it (doubt there's many out there!)

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2017/07/09/vita-killzone-mercenary-review/

Good stuff. I'm not an FPS person (barring the odd BioShock), but had a great time with this back in the day... admittedly half of that was how freaking amazing it looks, of course.

Aokage

So does anyone have the white Vita with the black border?

ps-vita-playstation-vita-new-slim-model-pch2000-glacier-white-426441.3.jpg

Im wondering if it picks up dirt or goes yellow over time or if it looks like still new after extensive use.

I have the aqua blue and doesn't look like it gets dirty easily. Also had the OLED which was perfectly fine after 5 years. If the white gets dirty I'll have to either get the black (which is the least interesting colour) or import the red (which is totally awesome).

I have a Crystal White 1000, which is still vibrantly white after four years.

But if you're after a new 2000, you absolutely cannot beat the majesty of the (now discontinued, so act fast) Neon Orange!

I thought it was gonna be digital only in EU. What?

What about The Nonary Games?

365games stocked it in UK (that's my tweet replying to him with a picture of my copy). They're out of stock now though, so apparently it was pre-orders only.

Nonary Games was allegedly going to be released later this year physically in EU, no word on it since.

Collar x Malice is currently up in the air, with 365games saying they'll try and get stock but they don't know if it'll be NA version or EU version.

And I was excited when Aksys announced plans for physical in Europe.

365games stocked it in UK (that's my tweet replying to him with a picture of my copy). They're out of stock now though, so apparently it was pre-orders only.

Base.com had it in stock too this past week. Said "In Stock NOW. Usually dispatched within 24 hours." on the product page. The latter has completely vanished now though.

Aksys have proven to be rather incompetent when it comes to physical releases even in the US, e.g. http://kotaku.com/the-zero-time-dilemma-pre-order-disaster-1786627477, so your enthusiasm for their European physical plans was perhaps a bit misplaced. ;-)

sibarraz

Banned
I want recomendations on indie games for the vita.

I'm looking into axiom verge and salt & sanctuary, don't know if there are more games worthy for short bursts of play

joe2187

Banned

I'm looking into axiom verge and salt & sanctuary, don't know if there are more games worthy for short bursts of play

Spelunky and Binding of Issac are literally crack addiction games.

I dont know how many hours I've sunk into runs of each....oh god....here I go again...

Pix the cat is also a ton of fun as is Xeodrifter and Curses and Chaos.

Hotline miami
The binding of isaac
Terraria (ymmv on controls but you can squeeze 50+ if not 100+ hours from it)
Downwell
Velocity Ultra

Jimrpg

I have a Crystal White 1000, which is still vibrantly white after four years.

But if you're after a new 2000, you absolutely cannot beat the majesty of the (now discontinued, so act fast) Neon Orange!

Is the Crystal White 1000 the glossy white (piano white?) finish - that would help to keep the colour I imagine. The 2000 has matte finishes. I don't want it to yellow like those old Nintendo consoles so maybe Ill just end up with black.

I would definitely get the orange if it were available! There's an online store here that gets the Vita, but they only have the blue at the moment and I already have that. I imagine they'll get the black next. But their restocks are getting further and further apart, so its really time to get one before they're all gone.

Though just shopping around this morning - Amazon Japan is the cheapest I've seen for a Vita just Y19000 shipped to my other home address to Australia, but to where I am now in Malaysia they are charging an extra Y7000 import tax so no thanks! That import tax thing on Amazon is all over the place!

Olli Olli is pretty good for short bursts of play.

I found that pretty fun until it got too hard.

Neon Orange is discontinued? FACK, okay that's another piece of Vita hardware I'm gonna have to get soon.

Play-asia still have some Neon Orange - but its about US$209 quite a bit more than Amazon Japan's Black which is US$170 after conversion.

redcrayon

My most-played one is The Swindle. A 2D stealth/burglary game set in steampunk London, divided up into individual 'runs' that make it great for short bursts.

Hotline Miami is the game that convinced me indie games are worth my time. I was somewhat of a snob before that.

Guacamelee is fantastically designed and loads of fun.

In terms of short bursts of play, Geometry Wars 3 and Downwell are both fantastic.

Second Bloodstained Vita update:

http://www.dualshockers.com/bloodstained-ritual-night-interview-koji-igarashi-face-name-genre/

DS: Our readers at DualShockers really love the PS Vita and I know that Armature is the studio working on that version of Bloodstained. Is that version of the game still going to release on time alongside the others?

Iga: What we usually do when we port the game to the Vita is that we make the PC version first and then have that be imported onto the Vita. As far as the timing goes, we are pretty certain – but not positive – that we will be releasing the Vita version alongside the rest of the platforms. When we saw Armature’s process of the port we thought it was looking fantastic. We have high hopes for the Vita version.

redcrayon

That sounds like great news to me, at the very least it sounds like the Vita version is getting some thought behind it and time to iron out performance issues rather than being a half-arsed effort like some other PC ports. The main thing I find poor (aside from performance) about PC-to-portable versions is user interfaces and type size, as I'm getting older and my vision isn't what it used to be, hopefully they'll look at that too.

Started playing Strange in Sword City revisited and so far I'm having a good time. More games need to have art like this. It's beautiful! Though I do find it kinda strange that there are some portraits that look more generic mixed in. I imagine it's to cater to more people. Though the generic art really does not fit in with the rest of the game. It's kind of jarring. I hope they are only optional, and non of the npc's use them.

Edit: just saw the OT, looks like they are optional so that's cool.

Aokage

Random: I've always thought it nuts that Square-Enix never released the Chaos Rings tetralogy in English on Vita. Today I discovered the scripts from the iOS/Android versions have already been implemented for all four games by fans and can be played on machines running HENkaku.

If fans can do it... Why, S-E, why?!

Awesome. Glad we are getting some news on this finally.

I called it, woo! I knew Armature seemed to be too invested in the project (and they've never said anything to the contrary; considering Epic has incentivized their work with UE on Vita for whatever reason, what do you want to bet they end up doing the promised Vita Mighty No. 9 for Inti as well?).

'Tis a good thing, because it's the platform I chose waaaaay back when I backed Bloodstained.

Is the Crystal White 1000 the glossy white (piano white?) finish - that would help to keep the colour I imagine. The 2000 has matte finishes. I don't want it to yellow like those old Nintendo consoles so maybe Ill just end up with black.

The Crystal White differs from the Glacier White (2000 series) in that it's glossy/piano white, yeah. Glacier White might not hold up as well.

But dang, it's all about that Neon Orange. I absolutely did not need a fourth Vita but I -needed- that color... It certainly makes a bold statement!

mollipen

I saw a Neon Orange Vita at the Game Dude here in LA on Saturday. Not sure if someone was buying it, or if someone had traded it in and they were getting it put together to sell. It's definitely a pretty system
but not pink + white

godisntheradio

Neo Member
does anyone know if NISA Store declares their packages with lower value on international shipping? i'm used to order from VGP and they declare everything at 15$ (even the persona 5 CE). I need to prepare my wallet for taxes, Ys VIII LE is quite expensive.

Ventara

does anyone know if NISA Store declares their packages with lower value on international shipping? i'm used to order from VGP and they declare everything at 15$ (even the persona 5 CE). I need to prepare my wallet for taxes, Ys VIII LE is quite expensive.

Last time I ordered from them they did, but this was a while back, so they might've changed.

Top Bottom