• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BONKERS

Plus that of both the upscaler and the TV. Not worth it.

Part of the point of even using the PS3 to play PS1 games is to upscale them for your HDTV. (Whether it's actually any good for that purpose is a matter of opinion.) When you daisy chain it through another device for the exact same purpose, then yes, it's redundant. Dedicated upscalers are not as vital for 480p content as they are for 240p/480i either.

To get "the absolute purest signal from a PS1 physically possible," you should use a PS1. Or a PS2, which is close enough for most games.

A frame and a half is hardly going to make a difference in games that aren't SHMUPs or Devil May Cry

Khaz

A frame and a half is hardly going to make a difference in games that aren't SHMUPs or Devil May Cry

It's actually a frame and a half from the upscaler, plus a frame and a half from the console, plus another (half) frame from the wireless controller, plus a fuckton of frames from your display. Have fun landing right on the Goomba.

It's actually a frame and a half from the upscaler, plus a frame and a half from the console, plus another (half) frame from the wireless controller, plus a fuckton of frames from your display. Have fun landing right on the Goomba.

So using a PS2 with RGB or D-terminal and XRGB for PS1 games is better or still bad?
I know PS1-cable-TV is the best solution, but I have space problems in my apartment :)

BONKERS

Half frame from the controller? Proof of that?

IrishNinja

So using a PS2 with RGB or D-terminal and XRGB for PS1 games is better or still bad?
I know PS1-cable-TV is the best solution, but I have space problems in my apartment :)

i don't have the tech to measure like my man sixfour does, but yes, i can tell you from just hands-on experience that PS1 games on a PS2 > upscaler run way better than they would through a PS3 that way; i'd even argue they're better than just running a PS3 w/o the upscaler, to an extent...normally you're trading off the visual options for some lag, but even when i just tried PSX on PS3 over HDMI to my receiver/TV i felt more noticeable lag, might just be me

Half frame from the controller? Proof of that?

i don't know that it's exactly a half frame, but i figure that neighborhood is pretty well established at this point; for instance, how many people do you see playing wireless at evo/FGC tourneys? even those without sticks, i wanna say you'll tend to see wires.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Wired controllers are enforced in tournaments simply because they're easier to police. I'm pretty sure that EVO instated a Dualshock 3 ban specifically because of this botched finals match, where a previous competitor who still had his controller synced to the console fucked things up. And a Wavebird would be a bad fit for a Smash tournament because the limited number of channels would mean that controller signals would overlap and interfere with each other when you have several of them present in the same room. Tournaments do tend to allow wireless controllers that are more securely synced, such as the wireless Madcatz Fightpads.

I honestly doubt that wireless controllers lag significantly more than wired controllers, but sometimes interference issues do crop up. I remember it being impossible to play Tatsunoko vs Capcom in a friend's apartment because his next door neighbor would always be doing something that actually interfered with the signals on our Wii Remotes. We'd seriously get spontaneous button presses and disconnects for no discernible reason, and only during times when we could hear that his neighbor was in the next room.

antibolo

Banned
Yeah most tournaments will still allow controllers that use a USB dongle. The real problem is with wireless controllers that use console-level pairing, because there is no way to enforce a manual unpairing, and wavebirds which use manual channel selection instead of being hardcoded to respond only to their own dongle.

In fact I'm pretty sure that the true reason why Nintendo made a GameCube adapter box for Smash Wii U is so the game can actually be played at tourneys.

Yeah most tournaments will still allow controllers that use a USB dongle. The real problem is with wireless controllers that use console-level pairing, because there is no way to enforce a manual unpairing, and wavebirds which use manual channel selection instead of being hardcoded to respond only to their own dongle.

In fact I'm pretty sure that the true reason why Nintendo made a GameCube adapter box for Smash Wii U is so the game can actually be played at tourneys.

I'm glad Nintendo did that. I just hope they allow 3rd parties to use it as well for wired gaming.

IrishNinja

...and there it is, nearly 5x what she usually charges.

maybe she'll still sell some of them at a fixed rate, but with the SNES scene going that stupid, i can't imagine why at least that one wouldn't stay in auction format. honestly? there's so many scummy resellers banking off this mess that i'm actually happy to see her - someone who puts out quality work of her own into the scene - banking on it.

if she ends up making double that before the bubble bursts, good for her.

Mzo

I hope it was someone here and that they feel great shame.

Says the guy that paid his left nutsack for inferior ports of Mega Man games.

The fuck? playing a GBA game on a DS is essentially playing a GBA. This simple fact means that the 3DS is superior at playing GBA games than the WiiU. Native system > emulation.

Compare native vs native, or emulation vs emulation. But don't mix them because it makes no sense.
Is 3DS GBA really native? Didn't the design nix the GBC chip that a lot of GBA games relied on? Obviously they have something in place that's good-enough, but I could've sworn there was some devil in the details there.

As long as we're talking about PS1 through PS3, is it just me or is there a bit of input delay when playing said games? At least, if I try to look for it in, say, Spyro, it turns out to be pretty noticeable. I'm not sure if that goes away if I plug the DS3 into the console or not.

Mak

As long as we're talking about PS1 through PS3, is it just me or is there a bit of input delay when playing said games? At least, if I try to look for it in, say, Spyro, it turns out to be pretty noticeable. I'm not sure if that goes away if I plug the DS3 into the console or not.

From testing my Castlevania Chronicles and Mega Man X4 discs, PSOne emualtion on PS3 has input lag. It was noticeable in Mega Man X4, like the characters wouldn't respond as fast, and I couldn't get far enough in clocktower (stage 3) of Castlevania Chronicles. Switching back to a PS2 the delay was gone and I could beat the clocktower stage. (I was playing both the PS3 and PS2 on a SD CRT)

Khaz

Is 3DS GBA really native? Didn't the design nix the GBC chip that a lot of GBA games relied on? Obviously they have something in place that's good-enough, but I could've sworn there was some devil in the details there.

The Z80 was taken out from the Nintendo portables as soon as the Game Boy Micro, which can't play GB and GBC games anymore. The DS and 3DS never had this processor either, yet all can play GBA games.

What GBA games, that used GB/C instructions, are you talking about?

There is an input delay. I remember reading it's an inherent flaw of emulated software, with how the emulator has to wait and process input while constructing the frame or something, one frame of delay being the best you could achieve. I'm not an expert.

BONKERS

We were talking about Emulation and somehow he thought I was talking about native hardware or something?

Complete overraction from someone misreading.

BONKERS

From testing my Castlevania Chronicles and Mega Man X4 discs, PSOne emualtion on PS3 has input lag. It was noticeable in Mega Man X4, like the characters wouldn't respond as fast, and I couldn't get far enough in clocktower (stage 3) of Castlevania Chronicles. Switching back to a PS2 the delay was gone and I could beat the clocktower stage. (I was playing both the PS3 and PS2 on a SD CRT)

With the frame and a half + another supposed half from the wireless controller. I had 0 issues completely wrecking CVChronicles on original mode twice through via PS3(IE: It gets harder with each subsequent playthrough). ON AN LCD over component video that only had about 1 frame of lag of it's own, but PC mode wasn't enabled at the time I found out later.

I've had 0 issues comparatively playing Mega Man 8 off my original disc either, not even with those stupid "JUMP JUMP, SLIDE SLIDE" parts. (Even though I wish I had played that on my PS2 just because PS3 upscales to 480i over component on a CRT)

I also within the last 4 months had no trouble getting 100% in MGS:VR Mission and getting many of the #1 score spots. (And this is a game that already has latency of it's own due to the low framerate)
So take out of that what you will.

i don't have the tech to measure like my man sixfour does, but yes, i can tell you from just hands-on experience that PS1 games on a PS2 > upscaler run way better than they would through a PS3 that way; i'd even argue they're better than just running a PS3 w/o the upscaler, to an extent...normally you're trading off the visual options for some lag, but even when i just tried PSX on PS3 over HDMI to my receiver/TV i felt more noticeable lag, might just be me

ok, thx for your explaination, so I'll go on a PS2 (SCPH-90000 probably, I can't believe how much small it is...) and then playing PS1 games

Peagles

Peagles, don't go into panic mode! She did tell me she was waiting on more multi-out ends. It's quite possible the cables return at the same price

Not really panicking (yet) I've just wanted to learn to make my own cables and if she doesn't list anymore with decent prices it might be a good excuse to start doing so.

Sixfortyfive

Anyone willing to part with some Gamecube component or D-terminal cables?

Shopping around for these things is starting to feel hopeless.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Careful, the 9xxxxxxx PS2's have known issues with some PS2 games and PS1 games that older models do not.

Little known, but it actually fixed some issues with PS1 games on the phat PS2.

Gradius Gaiden has slowdown on one level on the original PS2, but does not on the slim.

D.Lo

Anyone willing to part with some Gamecube component or D-terminal cables?

Shopping around for these things is starting to feel hopeless.
I'll sell you my official Gamecube component cables for market price.
Holy crap they are worth $300 now.

Peltz

Careful, the 9xxxxxxx PS2's have known issues with some PS2 games and PS1 games that older models do not.

Gah... of course (why wouldn't it?)... Where can I read about these known issues? Anyone have the details?

By the way, does PS2 emulate PS1 games like the PS3 does? Or is it true backwards compatibility on a hardware level?

Adam Blue

Hey guys, I love the size of my 31" Gateway Destination monitor, and was thinking of getting an XRGB-3 for it. I do have a PVM, but it's 20 inch and would like everything on the one monitor. What do you guys think? Will my PVM ultimately produce a better picture?

I've come across cheaper scalers, but each review I read/watched detailed some slight imperfections, and I ain't got no time for that.

Khaz

Hey guys, I love the size of my 31" Gateway Destination monitor, and was thinking of getting an XRGB-3 for it. I do have a PVM, but it's 20 inch and would like everything on the one monitor. What do you guys think? Will my PVM ultimately produce a better picture?

I've come across cheaper scalers, but each review I read/watched detailed some slight imperfections, and I ain't got no time for that.

Yes. Better, more accurate, and lag-free.

[edit] Oh, your monitor is a CRT already. Nevermind then.

Sixfortyfive

Yes. Better, more accurate, and lag-free.
If he's using a CRT monitor, lag really isn't a factor.

I'm very, very happy with a CRT/XRGB-3 combo. I think the only aspect that a PVM would clearly trump it is in scanlines. (PVMs produce natural and correct scanlines for 15khz sources. CRT PC monitors have finer scanlines that might irk purists.)

I'm going to be getting the new Dreamcast VGA box being developed with the sync combiner built in. As far as getting the whole 480p resolution, I'd have to use a vga-> BNC cable, right? I see a VGA to Scart cable on eBay, but that would only be 480i right?

Khaz

If he's using a CRT monitor, lag really isn't a factor.

I'm very, very happy with a CRT/XRGB-3 combo. I think the only aspect that a PVM would clearly trump it is in scanlines. (PVMs produce natural and correct scanlines for 15khz sources. CRT PC monitors have finer scanlines that might irk purists.)

Oh it's a CRT monitor? Never mind then, I assumed the XRGB would be used to upscale / add scanlines / convert to HDMI as most every one else is using it for. I suppose you'd be using it for transposing RGB to VGA then? Isn't there cheaper solutions out there for what is essentially demultiplexing Hsync and Vsync? Nevermind I'm an idiot. I just learned that most VGA monitors couldn't use 15kHz frequencies and more magic has to be applied to the RGB signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom