• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US PSN Holiday Sale Week 4 (12/27/2016 - 01/02/2017)

BlondeTuna

Definitely picking up Inside.

Someone sell me on The Witness and Abzu. I really like the art direction on both but I'm not into puzzles and I've read about Abzu's lackluster gameplay.

Is Evil Within Season Pass normally $9.99 or is that the sale price for non-PS+ members? I'd like to buy it, but if it's only $3.30 off, I just as well wait until I actually get around to finishing the main game first!

For anyone considering Virginia:

I just beat it. It's a game that starts out way better then it ends. The developers felt like they weren't entirely confident in their story telling given how vague and all over the place the ending is.

And that sucks because it's a game about two black female FBI members that could've really dealt with the issue of racism in a game in a somewhat interesting manner.

But the ending is messy and dilutes much of the build up towards it. Lots of good moments in there, but fails as a whole due to its lack of closure.

Kard8p3

Alright GAF I've got 25 Sony bucks to spend, any suggestions? I was thinking about picking up TLOU remastered, but I've beaten it on the PS3 before and as such am slightly hesitant to rebuy, even though I loved it.

ty_hot

Alright GAF I've got 25 Sony bucks to spend, any suggestions? I was thinking about picking up TLOU remastered, but I've beaten it on the PS3 before and as such am slightly hesitant to rebuy, even though I loved it.
There are many indie games on sale, I think its better to spend on new things.

Rymuth

You can buy the Witcher 3 complete. Whole lot of content for your buck (assuming you get have PS+)

Picked up Virginia. Was tempted by a lot of other stuff, but with the PS+ lineup for January just announced I'm going to hold off. Too much to play already.

kamandi

Thinking about buying Street Fighter V since it will be around for a couple of years more i guess, but no one is recommending it, not even a mention. Is it that bad? I dont care about the season pass at the moment, i am just a casual.

XBP

Is unravel 1080p 60fps? I'm debating on whether to grab it on ps4 or the origin sale. Its cheaper by a couple of dollars on the PS store.

Thinking about buying Street Fighter V since it will be around for a couple of years more i guess, but no one is recommending it, not even a mention. Is it that bad? I dont care about the season pass at the moment, i am just a casual.

Gameplay itself is terrific. Story mode is okay. Character stories are very short. If you play with friends or in lounges you will have fun. Don't expect arcade mode for a few months probably though.

The gameplay itself is excellent. I'd recommend it to anyone that have an interest in fighting games.

If you're planning on getting online or playing with other people, then it's worth it. The actual gameplay is great.
But if you wanna do single player stuff only, it all kind of sucks. Story mode is really boring and about 2 hours long, then each character has their own story and each takes about 15 minutes to finish.
The less said about survival, the better.

If you're into single player fighting games I'd recommend Mortal Kombat XL, Blazblue and Guilty Gear instead.

ty_hot

I've already played and beaten it! Great game though.

Any you recommend?
I got:

INSIDE (most recommended in here)
ABZU (like the art style, gonna play with my gf)
Unravel (super cheap)
Virginia (same as the above, and seems interesting)
The Talos Principle (huge discount so I prefered to take this over The witness).

I havent played any of them yet though.

kamandi

If you're planning on getting online or playing with other people, then it's worth it. The actual gameplay is great.
But if you wanna do single player stuff only, it all kind of sucks. Story mode is really boring and about 2 hours long, then each character has their own story and each takes about 15 minutes to finish.
The less said about survival, the better.

If you're into single player fighting games I'd recommend Mortal Kombat XL, Blazblue and Guilty Gear instead.

Thanks for the info. I usually play online or with friends so SFV seems fine.

shmoglish

I got:

INSIDE (most recommended in here)
ABZU (like the art style, gonna play with my gf)
Unravel (super cheap)
Virginia (same as the above, and seems interesting)
The Talos Principle (huge discount so I prefered to take this over The witness).

I havent played any of them yet though.

All of them (did not Play Virginia by myself) are good. And Inside is a masterpiece in every way.

AndrewPL

I bought it really cheap and am just a casual. I liked the story mode, was a decent length and hard mode I found challenging .

Weekly quests give enough fight money that it's worth logging in at least once a week to complete (to earn enough for a free char I guess)

I'm waiting on arcade mode, I convinced myself that if I was 13 again, I'd play it at the arcades at least 20times and that I'd easily get more value out of owning it on ps.

Sh0k

Is Trackmania Turbo any good? Playing the demo at the moment but it only gives you five tracks and just one type of car. Are the other car categories as fun as the Nascar kind off type in the demo?

sn00zer

Is Trackmania Turbo any good? Playing the demo at the moment but it only gives you five tracks and just one type of car. Are the other car categories as fun as the Nascar kind off type in the demo?
The game plays much better with a keyboard. I have a few hundred hours in the series and can't readily recommend a controller. That said the series is fantastic and easily recommendable.

Tracks are based around cars, there is no customization as everyone has the exact same car on the same track. There are 4 or 5 different car classes and each handle very differently, different enough that you cannot use certain cars on certain tracks.

Watch dogs 1 any good? Dropped it after an hour or two back on ps3 cuz it bored the crap out me but debating on giving it a proper chance since I'm really enjoying watch dogs 2 currently.

Freeman76

Its really good, easier to play with a controller than it was with keyboard on PC as well. Gets really tough later on, IMO the demo car has the most fun levels but overall its a great game. If you dont mind trying a track over and over and over to shave milliseconds off your time this is the game for you. Think more Trials HD than Project Cars lol

fbutron

Already have the witness, tomb raider and watch dogs 2 (i bought witness and watch dogs 2 full price =( will wait in the future to buy new games 3 to 4 weeks

Hmm, surely will buy Talos, Odin Sphere and Star Ocean despite I know I will not play it at least until February...

I think I just collect games... =(

Another sugestion is welcomed...how is the PSVR game?

Edit: on second look also I am eyeballing Resident Evil 4 (for the third time) and Abzu

Sh0k

The game plays much better with a keyboard. I have a few hundred hours in the series and can't readily recommend a controller. That said the series is fantastic and easily recommendable.

Tracks are based around cars, there is no customization as everyone has the exact same car on the same track. There are 4 or 5 different car classes and each handle very differently, different enough that you cannot use certain cars on certain tracks.

Its really good, easier to play with a controller than it was with keyboard on PC as well. Gets really tough later on, IMO the demo car has the most fun levels but overall its a great game. If you dont mind trying a track over and over and over to shave milliseconds off your time this is the game for you. Think more Trials HD than Project Cars lol

Thanks! Picking up Abzu, The Talos Principle and Trackmania Turbo.

Watch dogs 1 any good? Dropped it after an hour or two back on ps3 cuz it bored the crap out me but debating on giving it a proper chance since I'm really enjoying watch dogs 2 currently.
I still have my copy sitting around. Definitely played longer than you but eventually I got bored like you so I can't say it gets better or different but maybe someone who has completed it will have a better opinion.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I ended up getting witness, inside, and talos.

Thinking of getting the three REs and Virginia.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
The Division for $25 is tempting. Are there discounts on the season pass/expansion packs? How does the game run on the OG PS4? Does it have a healthy online community? Thanks!

mileS

Didn't think I would get anything on week 4 (expected a best of sale) Now my wallet is being assaulted with games I want. Funds are limited after the holidays, but I feel like stocking the backlog fridge with deals. Inside is mine, trying to decide on a few more.

Odin Sphere - is finally a great price, but part of me fears it might go down to its sale price as a base, in a month or two. I can't remember seeing Vanillaware games go on sale that often so I might bite.
The Witness - I know literally nothing about this game. I know it involves puzzles and I've seen the trailer, that's about it. From what I've heard that's the best position to be in going in. That being said I worry about puzzles. If I have to look up most of the answers I won't enjoy it as much as I should.
ABZU - Hard to avoid at this price. I have the evil voice in my ear saying "it's destined for PS+ save my money". The non-cheap part of me is saying "but that price tho. but journey underwater maybe."

At this point I may just decide between the Witness or Odin Sphere and throw ABZU in with whatever I end up with.

sinkfla87

If anyone here picks up Last Blade 2 this week, find me on PSN Username: SinkFla. I spent an hour in training only to go online and be forever alone :(.

P.S. I'm hoping this or SamSho is SNK's next game revival. Consider my purchase of LB2 as a donation to fund that, SNK. Please!!!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
How many more weeks of this sale are gonna go on? And will there be a final day of best sales you may have missed?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Didn't think I would get anything on week 4 (expected a best of sale) Now my wallet is being assaulted with games I want. Funds are limited after the holidays, but I feel like stocking the backlog fridge with deals. Inside is mine, trying to decide on a few more.

Odin Sphere - is finally a great price, but part of me fears it might go down to its sale price as a base, in a month or two. I can't remember seeing Vanillaware games go on sale that often so I might bite.
The Witness - I know literally nothing about this game. I know it involves puzzles and I've seen the trailer, that's about it. From what I've heard that's the best position to be in going in. That being said I worry about puzzles. If I have to look up most of the answers I won't enjoy it as much as I should.
ABZU - Hard to avoid at this price. I have the evil voice in my ear saying "it's destined for PS+ save my money". The non-cheap part of me is saying "but that price tho. but journey underwater maybe."

At this point I may just decide between the Witness or Odin Sphere and throw ABZU in with whatever I end up with.

I'd go Witness or Odin Sphere.

Odin Sphere can get REALLY repetitive but it has plenty of charm and the Rashomon-esque perspective storytelling is rather nice and may keep you playing despite the rather mashy combat.

Abzu is no Journey. It has some beautiful moments and gives a VERY striking first impression, but its very short and never really goes anywhere that interesting sadly. Not a bad game, just left me unfulfilled and the premise kind of squandered.

Witness I hear is one of the best puzzle games of the year but I have yet to play it(but I did buy it).

So I play alot of "art" games and enjoyed Journey but not as much as most did (I liked the coop aspect the most, everything else was OK). My question is Abzu worth it if those are my feelings on Journey.

The initial showings of Abzu at E3 I loved but the end product for some reason dosnt grab me.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So I play alot of "art" games and enjoyed Journey but not as much as most did (I liked the coop aspect the most, everything else was OK). My question is Abzu worth it if those are my feelings on Journey.

The initial showings of Abzu at E3 I loved but the end product for some reason dosnt grab me.

I was also NOT at all as big on Journey as the internet seemed to be. Fine little game, but nothing more.

Abzu is merely ok at best. It starts off strong with its lush colors and impressive underwater grottos full of wildlife with great music cues...then it goes pretty much nowhere for 2 hours. A few nice moments crop up, but the journey as a whole is kind of a dud and ends unfulfilling. Kind of hits the same major progression beats as Journey as well, just not as well executed or as inventive.

Quick Question...

I am thinking about getting the Witness. The sale price is amazing right now ($20)... but, I remember reading that it made A LOT of people motion sick, even those who normally don't get sick from first person perspective games...

I also remember Jonathan Blow saying that he was going to try and add a fix to address the problem (i.e., crosshair)... Does anyone know if that happened?

And what is everyone's experience with the game? Any motion sickness? I would hate to get it and not be able to play it since i get sick from many FP games.

Thanks for any advice on this!

Quick Question...

I am thinking about getting the Witness. The sale price is amazing right now ($20)... but, I remember reading that it made A LOT of people motion sick, even those who normally don't get sick from first person perspective games...

I also remember Jonathan Blow saying that he was going to try and add a fix to address the problem (i.e., crosshair)... Does anyone know if that happened?

And what is everyone's experience with the game? Any motion sickness? I would hate to get it and not be able to play it since i get sick from many FP games.

Thanks for any advice on this!
A reticle was added and a FOV slider was also added. Make sure to turn the reticle on and slide the FOV all the way to 100. Those changes helped me a lot as the regular settings left me quite motion sick. Was actually the first FP game to make me sick in awhile, have over a hundred hours in Overwatch with no problems but both The Witness and Gone Home (much much slower games) left me feeling sick (I get motion sick in pretty much every type of vehicle I am not driving).

So hopefully those new settings will be helpful as the game is quite something otherwise.

Top Bottom