• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Vice-Presidential Debates 2016 |OT| Your Big Awkward Family Reunion

Who won the debate?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holmes

I don't think Kaine's interruptions were bad, but necessary. These "discussions" were pretty much just Pence filibustering the conversation and saying whatever he wanted with the moderator letting him off the hook for everything, so everytime Kaine wanted to add his input, it came across as interrupting while Pence kept going on and on. Oh well.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
We are a month away from Election Day. At this point, you need a lot more than your base to win.
Or you convince the other side to sabotage themselves. If enough democrat voters buy into this idiotic "Hillary is crooked" nonsense, and either stay home on Election Day or vote for one of the other two clowns, it may give him enough to win. Brexit shouldn't have happened according to almost every single poll before the vote. But a good deal of remain supporters refrained from voting because, "well we've get this in the bag right?"

I don't think Kaine's interruptions were bad, but necessary. These "discussions" were pretty much just Pence filibustering the conversation and saying whatever he wanted with the moderator letting him off the hook for everything, so everytime Kaine wanted to add his input, it came across as interrupting while Pence kept going on and on. Oh well.
I think the problem with his interruptions early on is that they came across as jarring. He was stammering a bit, and just seemed too on edge. Once he calmed down it seemed like he was just smoothly jabbing at Pence and that worked way better.

watershed

Banned
Only in an extremely weak, laughably bad republican party does this debate performance put Pence as the 2020 front runner. He wasn't "presidential" he was a boring liar all evening.

Holmes

Or you convince the other side to sabotage themselves. If enough democrat voters buy into this idiotic "Hillary is crooked" nonsense, and either stay home on Election Day or vote for one of the other two clowns, it may give him enough to win. Brexit shouldn't have happened according to almost every single poll before the vote. But a good deal of remain supporters refrained from voting because, "well we've get this in the bag right?"
That's not technically true. Leave was winning until Jo Cox was unfortunately murdered, and then it became more competitive, with either Remain or Leave winning depending on the pollster.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think they have two up. This one is showing foll for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVXqNcW_-HA&t=69s

Why did I look at some of the comments.

One thing I've seen there and almost everywhere full of Trump supporters is that literally everything that isn't pro-Trump is apparently democrat/liberal-biased or bought and paid for. "The fact checkers are lying! Trump(/Pence) isn't wrong! They are all biased!"

Just started watching and Pence really said "war on coal" as if it's a bad thing? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he's a climate change denier.

rjinaz

There is definitely a lesson of complacency to learn there, but it doesn't apply to every situation. Given the logic, every presidential candidate that won and their numbers looked good, wouldn't have because the people got cocky and sat it out.

Anyway, something I noticed while browsing debate articles, the hypocrisy I see coming from some Trump supporters is amazing, calling Kaine mean or a bully. I guess being a bully is only ok if it's against people you don't like.

I think this will fail to move the needle for Trump for two reasons:

1) Those in love with this "shoot from the hip" (aka. spout bigoted unrehearsed bullshit) style will find Pence pedestrian and boring. He's a slick-faced politician through and through. I wouldn't doubt if a good chunk of Trump supporters are actively turned off from Pence.

2) Anyone convinced Pence is reasonable while Trump isn't will still have to deal with the fact that Trump is the Presidential nominee and not Pence. Yes, we know Trump has all but said that he doesn't want to do any of the work and would just delegate everything to Pence, but it's still not a good look for anyone wanting to vote based on who talks more smoothly and "reasonable".

This. The over-confident Hillary posts make me nervous that people aren't going to feel compelled to actually vote.

Toxi

Banned
That's not technically true. Leave was winning until Jo Cox was unfortunately murdered, and then it became more competitive, with either Remain or Leave winning depending on the pollster.
How the fuck did that happen anyway? It's bizarre Cox's murder would make people lean towards Leave.

This. The over-confident Hillary posts make me nervous that people aren't going to feel compelled to actually vote.

Brexit is nothing like this election, complacency is an issue more in midterms than Presidental, and the idea of discouraging voting doesn't usually apply to the winning side but the losing side

rjinaz

Why did I look at some of the comments.

One thing I've seen there and almost everywhere full of Trump supporters is that literally everything that isn't pro-Trump is apparently democrat/liberal-biased or bought and paid for. "The fact checkers are lying! Trump(/Pence) isn't wrong! They are all biased!"

Just started watching and Pence really said "war on coal" as if it's a bad thing? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he's a climate change denier.

Even Trump doesn't believe anything from the media and reads things on the internet. He also tells his supporters not to believe anything unless it comes from him.

These people that support Trump are anti-establishment/authority. They see anybody that is outside of their circles as nothing but sheeple fooled.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Trump campaign continuously pretending the 'basket of deplorables' line was anywhere near as bad as almost anything Trump has said is just baffling to me. Do they really think people buy that? Are people really buying that crap?
Trump has only insulted brown people. Hilary's basket of deplorables comment implies white people are at fault. You can see why Trump's supporters buy that shit.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Even Trump doesn't believe anything from the media and reads things on the internet. He also tells his supporters not to believe anything unless it comes from him.

These people that support Trump are anti-establishment/authority. They see anybody that is outside of their circles as nothing but sheeple fooled.
I would make the distinction that they are anti-intellectual. They fucking LOVE authority. LAW AND ORDER

Toxi

Banned
Trump has only insulted brown people. Hilary's basket of deplorables comment implies white people are at fault. You can see why Trump's supporters buy that shit.
I feel like the "basket of deplorables" comment has never really been an issue for her favorability because the only people called out were Trump supporters.

Debirudog

Hillary is essentially insulting herself if you think she was attacking white people lol. She's attacking racist Trump supporters.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Early on, but so far the only good thing I can say about Pence is that he "sounds" good without actually saying anything. Kaine doesn't come across as strongly but at least has some merit to what he's saying.

Lol at this stuff about "basket of deplorables." It really does feel like it amounts to "but Hillary insulted white men! Trump never did THAT!"

rjinaz

I would make the distinction that they are anti-intellectual. They fucking LOVE authority. LAW AND ORDER

True if it works for them and against others. The great irony is that they would fully embrace a dictator which would be everything they think they hate.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
It's fascinating people think the deplorables shit will stick. They mishandled their response to that.

Instead of distancing themselves from racists they go, "How dare she insult racists!!"

Haunted

Best chance for Republicans to win in November is get rid of Trump, making a martyr out of him and simultaneously presenting a more viable and presidential candidate in Pence.

I feel like the "basket of deplorables" comment has never really been an issue for her favorability because the only people called out were Trump supporters.

But the persecution complex is what remains post election. These people have the audacity to feel persecuted over not being able to be overtly racist.

Trump presidency bubbles America over into something drastic

Clinton presidency puts her in the hotseat with a possible 60/40 split country.

Brinbe

I think one thing this debate puts squarely into view is how horribly fucking dangerous it is to let these GOP candidates simply skate by and 'moderate' their extreme views when pushed on to a national stage. As we've seen numerous times, just tonight, they rather straight up lie or deflect in the moment then face the scrutiny from extolling their far-right positions. All it takes is for the right candidate to come along that can adequately hide behind that veneer of charisma and we're all fucked.

Fact-checking after the fact is already too late and people simply don't care about the truth.

That's how a GW Bush gets elected with his compassionate conservative bullshit and that's probably what we may get in 2020 with someone like a Kasich (assuming he makes out of their crazy-ass primaries).

And considering how fucking dumb the majority of undecided/middle-of-the-road voters tend to be, I don't even know what an effective counter there is for that. It's scary.

I don't normally post in these threads (since I'm undecided and that these discussions are influenced by the sides people choose) but I couldn't agree with Kaine saying the world is safer with terrorism on the rise.

Debirudog

I don't normally post in these threads (since I'm undecided and that these discussions are influenced by the sides people choose) but I couldn't agree with Kaine saying the world is safer with terrorism on the rise.

Police brutality and gun shots are more frequent than terrorist attacks.

This makes sense, because Pence winning is a huge plus for Clinton.

How? Well think of it like this:

"Hmm, Trump is a total idiot but this Pence guy seems pretty level headed. I think I'll spend some time to see what he stands for and... THE FUCK IS ALL THIS SHIT?"

The more Trump deflects from the actual extremist platform of the Republican party the better they will all be.

Police brutality and gun shots are more frequent than terrorist attacks.
That's true domestically in the US but I believe the question focused on foreign policy. Touting the trophy of bin laden to say the world is safer is difficult in my opinion with recent attacks in Europe and the Islamic state/ radical extremism spreading at its highest rates around the world.

Henkka

Banned
I wonder how Pence would've done in the primaries. He's kind of got that same "strong man" aura as Trump, without being a goofball. I think if Trump had tried to sink him in the debates like he did Jeb, it would've simply bounced off and made Trump look worse.

Exile20

How can you even win a debate purely on style when you say almost nothing valid and fail to capably defend your candidate? Pundit class so far up its own ass on this.

People complain and become cynical about politics, then they fucking devolve into this reality show-esque grading on presidential debates, it's fucking maddening.

WORDS STILL MATTER, IDIOTS.

I agree, Kaine interrupted a lot because Pence lied so much.

Pence said nothing to reassure america to vote for Trump. He did't defend Trump except when he lied or said he was a not a polished politician.

Measley

How can you even win a debate purely on style when you say almost nothing valid and fail to capably defend your candidate? Pundit class so far up its own ass on this.

People complain and become cynical about politics, then they fucking devolve into this reality show-esque grading on presidential debates, it's fucking maddening.

WORDS STILL MATTER, IDIOTS.

Yep. Pundits are becoming the used car salesman of television news media.

Drek

That's true domestically in the US but I believe the question focused on foreign policy. Touting the trophy of bin laden to say the world is safer is difficult in my opinion with recent attacks in Europe and the Islamic state/ radical extremism spreading at its highest rates around the world.
Hussein disappeared more people in a year than terrorists kill, by a substantial amount going by the mass graves found. Terror attacks in Europe and e spread of radicalism is not s new phenomenon either, it has just become a story the American media covers. Terror groups used to blow up embassies with legitimately planned and organized attacks. Now they're relegated to a handful of individuals with guns, knifes, and homemade explosives.

Further, the uptick in terror attrack frequency in Europe is a direct byproduct of ISIS being knocked back on their heels and losing territory in both Iraq and Syria, leading to them activating all foreign attackers they can in hopes of getting a radical response that leads to a surge in support from the Muslim world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom