• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Using VPN to access NFL Gamepass in North America (alternative to DTV's $300 stream)

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone have any luck with a pay VPN? I paid for a month of PrivateInternetAccess, but no luck. just takes me to the subscription page :(

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
anyone have any luck with a pay VPN? I paid for a month of PrivateInternetAccess, but no luck. just takes me to the subscription page :(

AirVPN. Netherland server.

ShaneB

Would I have to enter my credit card info?

I paid with paypal when I bought my package, I can't remember if that was there for the trial too though, I would think so.

I cracked and bought a package a few days ago and glad to be worry free. I still use a UK Anonymox server though to access NFLN and get around the blackouts.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I just signed up for a 3 day pass. Which server did you use? I've tried about 10 Netherlands servers and each one just takes me to the pricing page.

NL leporis I think is what it is. Worked fine for me yesterday.

Calm Killer

nfl gamepass website is asking me to sign up again, using a netherlands vpn. Why does it do this.

chicken-

Neo Member
NFL needs to go fuck off, already on my 3rd jsessionid today, just cut me off in the middle of watching a game.

If any NFL people are watching this thread, suck my dick and maybe if you didn't screw over US customers with your bullshit exclusive deals we wouldn't be doing this. Let alone the fact that you expect Europeans to pay $200 for access to games and you aren't even considerate enough to remove the score tickers or "game breaks" constantly spoiling other games.

Thanks to whoever keeps updating these, they obviously care more about true NFL fans than the NFL does. I guess making millions of dollars isn't enough to get them to provide people with the games they want to watch for reasonable prices. Our only option is NFL Rewind which takes forever to come, doesn't let you watch ANY of the games if there's a live broadcast on and only discounted by $5 for subscribing to only 1 team. NFL is a complete joke and they need to pull their head out of their asses.

Konka

Banned
NFL needs to go fuck off, already on my 3rd jsessionid today, just cut me off in the middle of watching a game.

If any NFL people are watching this thread, suck my dick and maybe if you didn't screw over US customers with your bullshit exclusive deals we wouldn't be doing this. Let alone the fact that you expect Europeans to pay $200 for access to games and you aren't even considerate enough to remove the score tickers or "game breaks" constantly spoiling other games.

You can watch SNF on NBC.com.

chicken-

Neo Member
I'm trying to watch the earlier games first, but thanks. It's working I just find it ridiculous that they are blocking them this fast now, as if that's going to make me pay for it. (Funny enough I actually did try to sign up for the 7 day trial via a VPN earlier and the page didn't work, I put in all my payment info and submitted and then nothing happened, just basically refreshed the page and removed all the info I put in and that's what led me here to try this one more time).

Edit: "Game Breaks" need to die, as if everybody who wanted constant updates on other games can't just go on the internet these days. A true fan such as myself would like to watch as many games as possible without results being thrown in my face every 5 minutes. I already have to put a window over the video just to block the stupid score ticker but nothing but keeping my finger on my Right arrow key helps with "game breaks".

gutshot

I'm trying to watch the earlier games first, but thanks. It's working I just find it ridiculous that they are blocking them this fast now, as if that's going to make me pay for it. (Funny enough I actually did try to sign up for the 7 day trial via a VPN earlier and the page didn't work, I put in all my payment info and submitted and then nothing happened, just basically refreshed the page and removed all the info I put in and that's what led me here to try this one more time).

Edit: "Game Breaks" need to die, as if everybody who wanted constant updates on other games can't just go on the internet these days. A true fan such as myself would like to watch as many games as possible without results being thrown in my face every 5 minutes. I already have to put a window over the video just to block the stupid score ticker but nothing but keeping my finger on my Right arrow key helps with "game breaks".

Why are you mad about Game Breaks? Are you like watching each game successively and don't want to know the results of other games or something?

chicken-

Neo Member
Why are you mad about Game Breaks? Are you like watching each game successively and don't want to know the results of other games or something?

I try and wait until the Condensed versions are up and watch as many as possible after watching my 2 favorite teams first (Raiders/49ers). The game breaks are relentless during the playoff hunt when that's when I most want to watch those important games. At least the condensed ones have the game breaks taken out (although sometimes it does cut in right as an announcer is saying a score or result).

I realize most aren't as hardcore as me but I would think people paying $200 for access would at least appreciate the score ticker being removed. I subscribed 3 years in a row and the first year I signed up they actually showed the scores of all the games right on the stream pages and there was no way to avoid it, they finally removed them after I complained but they said they have to show the original broadcasts and can't remove the tickers so I use a borderless video player set to "Always on Top" and align it over the ticker myself :)

chicken-

Neo Member
Looks like we've exhausted the cookie supply, says no valid cookies try again later.

Thanks for the efforts luckily I DVR'd these games on my standard def TV so I can at least watch where I got cut off.

prag16

Banned
Bumping this...

I ditched cable this year, and am likely left without a plan to watch local NFL games since SCOTUS struck down Aereo.

Seriously considering this. Since the non-U.S. ip is only needed for the initial handshake, a free VPN provider would probably be good enough. $200 is very reasonable for what they offer, and I'm a fan who would get a lot of use of it; far more than some average fan to only cares about one team's games.

One minor concern is framerate. Basically I've never seen online streaming for sports make it to 60 fps. What have people's experiences been with this service? I guess I'm okay as long is it doesn't drop below 30 (which isn't ideal, but I guess 'good enough').

The bigger concern is the slight risk of making the investment, then the NFL changing things on their end to make things much more difficult somehow for VPN users (and they're within their rights to do that, even though I think they're leaving money on the table not offering something like this in the U.S.).

Mesoian

Bumping this...

I ditched cable this year, and am likely left without a plan to watch local NFL games since SCOTUS struck down Aereo.

Seriously considering this. Since the non-U.S. ip is only needed for the initial handshake, a free VPN provider would probably be good enough. $200 is very reasonable for what they offer, and I'm a fan who would get a lot of use of it; far more than some average fan to only cares about one team's games.

One minor concern is framerate. Basically I've never seen online streaming for sports make it to 60 fps. What have people's experiences been with this service? I guess I'm okay as long is it doesn't drop below 30 (which isn't ideal, but I guess 'good enough').

The bigger concern is the slight risk of making the investment, then the NFL changing things on their end to make things much more difficult somehow for VPN users (and they're within their rights to do that, even though I think they're leaving money on the table not offering something like this in the U.S.).

It was pretty great when it worked.

As for what to do going forward? It's too early to tell. None of us will really know until preseason starts.

prag16

Banned
It was pretty great when it worked.

As for what to do going forward? It's too early to tell. None of us will really know until preseason starts.

In terms of what? "When it worked"? When DIDN'T it work? What is shrouded in mystery here as you imply? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding something..

And one other thing; I read on a forum that the "live" feeds can actually be delayed by over a minute? If so that kind of sucks. I was expecting maybe 10-15 seconds compared to cable, but over a minute is kind of a lot. Would have to tell my dad and brother not to relentlessly text message me during games..

AColdDay

In terms of what? "When it worked"? When DIDN'T it work? What is shrouded in mystery here as you imply? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding something..

And one other thing; I read on a forum that the "live" feeds can actually be delayed by over a minute? If so that kind of sucks. I was expecting maybe 10-15 seconds compared to cable, but over a minute is kind of a lot. Would have to tell my dad and brother not to relentlessly text message me during games..

I think what he means is that the VPN solution worked intermittently. Even for someone like myself who pays for a VPN service it still got blocked by the end of the season. I'm wondering if it might be worth my while to use a VPN to buy a season pass to NFL Gamepass (they don't even offer that option in the states).

The service itself is excellent. I bought a subscription to the Direct TV streaming thing after the VPN thing stopped working last year and it was a pile of hot garbage compared to the NFL Gamepass experience.

Mesoian

I mean yeah, it was a week to week thing. There were times when it work great, there were times when it didn't. Those sweeping VPN blocks didn't regulate whether you were a paying customer or not, it went for everyone because the service is supposed to only be available outside of the US. So people would use a different VPN one week, that VPN would get shut down the next, we'd find a work around the following week, that workaround was plugged, it was a crap shoot. You rolled the dice and hoped for the best.

Now, that being said, when it worked, it was great. Yes, you have the 1 - 2 minute delay (I remember throwing parties where we had the local feed on upstairs and this service on downstairs, touchdowns happening, and everyone downstairs wondering why the people upstairs were losing their minds) and it's not 60fps, it generally a stable 30. But it's still a good picture with a ton of options. If they'd let me buy it, I'd definitely toss them the annual fee. But I can't recommend that people do that if, once they pay, those IP addresses are just going to be eliminated.

I think what he means is that the VPN solution worked intermittently. Even for someone like myself who pays for a VPN service it still got blocked by the end of the season. I'm wondering if it might be worth my while to use a VPN to buy a season pass to NFL Gamepass (they don't even offer that option in the states).

The service itself is excellent. I bought a subscription to the Direct TV streaming thing after the VPN thing stopped working last year and it was a pile of hot garbage compared to the NFL Gamepass experience.

Totally. DirecTV's sunday ticket is hot trash compared to NFL Gamepass, which makes the fact that that stupid deal is blocking the superior tech from mass consumption in the US all the more annoying. As it stands no, there's no incentive for the NFL to bring Gamepass to america, they make enough money by making sure the american public doesn't know it exists.

JdFoX187

Banned
There's still one option that works posted in this thread. I use it from time to time to go back and watch some games or the NFLN when I'm bored.

prag16

Banned
I was under the impression it was the people who were getting it for free that they were going after (Netherlands, Argentina, New Zealand, etc).

As I said, I'm willing to pay for it.. did they really also go around blacklisting IP's from every other country in the world too? Or was it just the ones that allowed people to freeload? Did people on gaf with paid accounts have issues, even though they'd in theory be able to use IPs from any of a hundred countries (assuming anyone here did have a paid account)?

I obviously didn't read the whole thread, but skimming through, it seemed that everybody who was complaining was trying to watch for free via the Netherlands.

Personally what I'd be more worried about is them changing something on the backend to make ip checks far more frequent than just once when starting the session... that could cause headaches seeing as connection over VPN will often be MUCH slower.

Dropping $200 for the service is definitely a risk, but it might be one I'm willing to take for this season to see how it goes.

Mesoian

I was under the impression it was the people who were getting it for free that they were going after (Netherlands, Argentina, New Zealand, etc).

That was the case for a while, but things changed.

As I said, I'm willing to pay for it.. did they really also go around blacklisting IP's from every other country in the world too? Or was it just the ones that allowed people to freeload? Did people on gaf with paid accounts have issues, even though they'd in theory be able to use IPs from any of a hundred countries (assuming anyone here did have a paid account)?

I obviously didn't read the whole thread, but skimming through, it seemed that everybody who was complaining was trying to watch for free via the Netherlands.

Personally what I'd be more worried about is them changing something on the backend to make ip checks far more frequent than just once when starting the session... that could cause headaches seeing as connection over VPN will often be MUCH slower.

Dropping $200 for the service is definitely a risk, but it might be one I'm willing to take for this season to see how it goes.

My paid VPN stopped working no matter what region I said I was from. On top of that, when I did try to pay for it, I would get bounced out when putting in my american credit info, and I don't think it takes paypal (that may change).

I would certainly wait until football season starts up again before you think about spending any money. There's a good chance that nothing from last year will work.

prag16

Banned
That was the case for a while, but things changed.

My paid VPN stopped working no matter what region I said I was from. On top of that, when I did try to pay for it, I would get bounced out when putting in my american credit info, and I don't think it takes paypal (that may change).

I would certainly wait until football season starts up again before you think about spending any money. There's a good chance that nothing from last year will work.

Ah, well that sucks. At least for now, I installed a free vpn app, and I was able to hit their site from various countries, and get to the purchase pages. They do take paypal.

So at least for now it should work (unless the check they do for trying to sign up or pay is different and less restrictive than what they do when actually launching the console). But it's June. I suppose they could go to work locking all sorts of shit down between now and September.

I'm not sure how widespread this is, cases of people actually paying for the service from within the U.S. Not a single football fan I know personally and have talked to even is aware of the existence of this service. I can't believe they'd make the effort to lock out thousands upon thousands of IP addresses from all over the world (especially if it's all paying customers assuming they close the loopholes in the "free" countries), but who knows.

EDIT: You're sure they were nuking paying customers? I just read the last two pages of this thread and every single person was complaining that they were being asked to pay. Not that they were totally locked out. The one or two people who did pay seemed to indicate they were having no problems. Additionally, any other forum online that I found, the people complaining once again were the people trying to watch for free, not the paying customers. Based on this I remain cautiously optimistic, for now.

Though chrome may eliminate that option come fall.

I also read elsewhere that chrome has shit performance compared to IE for this for some reason. That people had chrome maxing out CPU usage with a choppy feed, and in IE less than 50% usage and a much smoother feed. Odd.

Figured I'd bump this. Anybody find any way to watch NFL Network/access Gamepass similar to how was done last year? I tried how it worked last year but that stopped at about week 12 or so, and hasn't worked for me yet at this time.

prag16

Banned
Figured I'd bump this. Anybody find any way to watch NFL Network/access Gamepass similar to how was done last year? I tried how it worked last year but that stopped at about week 12 or so, and hasn't worked for me yet at this time.
I dropped the cash for a sub and have had no issues (other than the frame rate not being fantastic). Do that if it's worth it to you; if it's not, there are always the much lower quality free options; better than nothing.

Seanspeed

Banned
I again slapped down on the too expensive subscription(here in the UK at least). Don't want to deal with shaky VPN access.

I dropped the cash for a sub and have had no issues (other than the frame rate not being fantastic). Do that if it's worth it to you; if it's not, there are always the much lower quality free options; better than nothing.

Are you in the US? IF so, are you using a VPN to access it? Paid or free vpn if that's the case?

I can see myself paying for a sub, it's just a question if they'll ban VPN access (which is how I'd have to access it due to living in the US myself). Their ToS certainly suggests they could if they wanted to.

They have the "Preseason Live" thing here in the US for 20 bucks..I'll probably check it out..every preseason game for 20 bucks is a decent deal I think.

Welp, all solutions I had for last year officially no longer work.

So...I don't know.

Not sure if its true but I have read that it is no longer free in the Netherlands, even if you find a VPN that they haven't blacklisted.

I ended up just paying for Gamepass.

The cheapest way is to use the Hola Unblocker plugin for firefox or chrome, switch to Romania and then it will cost $130 for full access for the regular season. From the Netherlands and every other country I've tried it was much closer to $200. You can use your normal credit card / billing address, I think I actually used paypal.

All games live or after they've aired, Red Zone channel and NFL Network.

You can even use it on iPad but that is a little tricky since the Gamepass app isn't available in the US app store (i just created a fake iTunes account from the UK and downloaded it that way). I have not tried mirroring to AppleTV from iPad yet, but I have read that it works.

If you want to use it on iPad you will need a way to trick it into thinking you aren't watching from the USA. I went with adfreetime it cost $2 per month and its just a DNS so it shouldn't effect your speed like a VPN would, and as of right now it works without any problems. However if you have access to a free VPN I would imagine that would work just as well.

Not sure if its true but I have read that it is no longer free in the Netherlands, even if you find a VPN that they haven't blacklisted.

I ended up just paying for Gamepass.

The cheapest way is to use the Hola Unblocker plugin for firefox or chrome, switch to Romania and then it will cost $130 for full access for the regular season. From the Netherlands and every other country I've tried it was much closer to $200. You can use your normal credit card / billing address, I think I actually used paypal.

All games live or after they've aired, Red Zone channel and NFL Network.

You can even use it on iPad but that is a little tricky since the Gamepass app isn't available in the US app store (i just created a fake iTunes account from the UK and downloaded it that way). I have not tried mirroring to AppleTV from iPad yet, but I have read that it works.

If you want to use it on iPad you will need a way to trick it into thinking you aren't watching from the USA. I went with adfreetime it cost $2 per month and its just a DNS so it shouldn't effect your speed like a VPN would, and as of right now it works without any problems. However if you have access to a free VPN I would imagine that would work just as well.

tyvm for posting this. Romania it is. I really enjoyed it last year, certainly enough to pay and RedZone plus NFL Network is easily worth it imo..

if you end up paying for Gamepass, people are claiming to get 15% off with this promo code:

REP15

wish I would've found that before I signed up :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom