• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

V/H/S Viral (aka V/H/S 3, horror anthology series) trailer released

Status
Not open for further replies.
So excited for this! Love both V/H/S movies. Everyone should at least watch Safe Haven from the second movie. <3 Gareth Evans (The Raid director).

impact

Banned
No idea how these are so popular. No idea why I watched the second one after hating the first either! At the very least, the story from the Resolution guys should be good. Might check that one out by itself when this hits Netflix.

number11

The Gareth Evans segment alone made VHS 2 worth watching. I hate horror sequel franchises that never stop.. but I have no problem watching more VHS films.

abundant

So did anyone see it? Personally, I came away disappointed after watching it. I liked V/H/S and it's squeal BTW. There were parts of the first and third mini movie that didn't feel like Found Footage.

Rembrandt

Banned
So did anyone see it? Personally, I came away disappointed after watching it. I liked V/H/S and it's squeal BTW. There were parts of the first and third mini movie that didn't feel like Found Footage.

Yeah, it was the worst one by far. I recommend ABCs of Death 2 over it surprisingly. but whatever, I'm all for more horror anthology films and will check out the next one.

T.O.P

Banned
Yeah, it was the worst one by far. I recommend ABCs of Death 2 over it surprisingly. but whatever, I'm all for more horror anthology films and will check out the next one.

Found ABC to be awful so i'm kinda worried about this one now lol

Let's see

Just watched it. As a HUGE fan of the first two, this was absolute shit imo.

I'd do a proper review here but I'm just too tired and too disappointed.

The movie was like 20% found footage, 80% bad student film.

I'm gonna pretend this one didn't happen. At all.

Acorn

Just watched it. As a HUGE fan of the first two, this was absolute shit imo.

I'd do a proper review here but I'm just too tired and too disappointed.

The movie was like 20% found footage, 80% bad student film.

I'm gonna pretend this one didn't happen. At all.
Fuck

LaNaranja

I thought the first one was 2/5 for its stories. The first three were really stupid but the Skype and haunted house stories were both solid. The second one was way better with the zombie story being the only dud in the group. I had hoped they would continue in an upward trend. These negative reactions are bumming me out. :/

Valhelm

contribute something
I just saw the first and the second last night. The opening video of V/H/S is probably the best of all of them, but the sequel's shorts are better than anything else in the original. I loved the Filipino one, and the eyeball thing was creepy.

What? They changed the format of the movie?

God, is this Rec 3 all over again?

Kiiiiinda, yeah.

And when they do rarely go back to the original format every so often they overdo the "glitch" effects to the point of obnoxiousness. The budget felt like it was all spent in the wrong places too. Some of the smoke and explosions legitimately looked like something from a lame After Effects tutorial, no joke.

Oh neat! Another anthology I can watch where I hate all but one of the shorts featured. The one with girl and the video glasses in the first, and the cult one of the second were the one's I dug.

Out of the three V/H/S movies, this one's probably the weakest in concept. The wrap around story was stupid as hell(and annoying for reasons I don't want to spoil, but damn, the main couple... urgh).

The first story was the one that deviated from the V/H/S first-person format(it's the only one that deviates from this). I thought it was alright.

The second story felt the most like something you'd see in the first two movies. It was probably the best of all the stories.

The third was filled with annoying helmet cam footage and even more annoying characters.

IMO, the first V/H/S movie's the best(I liked the majority of the stories). V/H/S/2, I only liked the cult compound one(the other stories were stupid as hell, especially the first one and the last one).

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This was alright. Still liked the second one a lot, the first one as well. This one just wasn't as tightly wrapped and solid in concept as it should've been. Felt all over the place and unfocused, which is a damn shame. This series has a lot of potential but never seems to hit it.

White Man

I said previously on GAF that it's about as good as the second movie except it doesn't have a Safe Haven to make up for the other shitty segments.

Kusagari

I'd tell any fans of the first two movies to at least watch the second story. It's legitimately great.

The first one is okay, but feels really out of place in comparison to the rest of the franchise. The third story is terrible and feels like it goes on forever.

This was alright. Still liked the second one a lot, the first one as well. This one just wasn't as tightly wrapped and solid in concept as it should've been. Felt all over the place and unfocused, which is a damn shame. This series has a lot of potential but never seems to hit it.

The Safe Haven bit in V/H/S 2 is an example of this franchise's potential. They just need to consistenly hit that level in order for this franchise to go from 'alright' to 'great'.

I'd tell any fans of the first two movies to at least watch the second story. It's legitimately great.

The first one is okay, but feels really out of place in comparison to the rest of the franchise. The third story is terrible and feels like it goes on forever.

When it comes to Netflix I will at least watch the 2nd story. I guess that's why I like anthologies. I don't need to invest too much time and can just skip to the next one if I think one sucks.

I think back to Creepshow 1 as the best horror anthology movie I've seen.

Valhelm

contribute something
One thing I never understood about the first one...

What was going on with Lily's forehead? I thought she was going to
open her head into a sideways mouth
, but that never happened.

I watched it tonight and yeah, it was garbage. The parallel universe segment was alright until the hilarious
evil penises
showed up.

Hopefully we'll get a proper VHS 3 and this will just be treated like a dumb spinoff.

White Man

I wonder why the 4th segment mentioned on wikipedia and screened at several places wasn't included in the final cut. There's no way it could've been worse than what made it to release.

Valhelm

contribute something
How DARE you mock the awesome that is dub-step aliens...

The underwater bit was pretty spooky. It's a shame that didn't carry over for the rest of the short.

I personally really love the idea of horror anthologies. The genre is really suited to this format, especially because of the long tradition of short horror stories and, more recently, creepypastas.

kingkitty

It wasn't that bad.

The first one was okay but it didn't bother to look like a found footage film.

The second story was amusing. The third story was also amusing.

The wraparound was the most interesting of the V/H/S films, but it was still shit.

Overall, the film was more amusing than scary. 3 ducks out of 5

AlexBasch

Watched it at a 'horror movie night' this weekend.

Shit, the other guys and I couldn't even come up with jokes or whatever to make it a bit enjoyable.

The alien dicks were amazing though.

Roo

Is the first one worth watching?
I borrowed a big pile of Blu-Rays from a friend and the first V/H/S was among the movies but I didn't even bother to read the back of the case lol

I liked the second video but didnt like the obvious hand puppets. It reminded me of some new twilight zone or new outer limits episode about the military finding a window to.an alternate reality colonial period in the desert.

Zaph

I know I shouldn't be surprised as it's a horror sequel, but holy crap, what a drop off in quality.

Barring Safe Haven, I thought V/H/S 2 was bad, but Viral showed how much worse it could've been.

Incredibly short too - have to wonder why the forth segment was cut? Speculation seems to be either it was terrible or the producers want to extend it into its own film as they're putting V/H/S on hiatus for a while (doubt that...).

Based off the trailers it looked like they had abandoned the found footage aspect of the first 2 somewhat. A lot of the shots looked like they had no point of subjective reference, but I figured I might be wrong.

The thing I really liked about the first 2 is that they always justified why someone was recording as all the crazy shit went down. Most found footage films can't reasonably justify this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom