• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles 3 - Pre-TGS discussion and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Here's what we know so far:

- Sega has registered the domain for valkyria3.jp
- There is a teaser site up here: http://code1935.jp
- It will be at TGS next week
- We have the following two images:

bg.jpg

ss10002.jpg

Free free to discuss the game and the series. There is no announced platform for the game, so there's no reason to feel the need to white knight a certain system, or to argue about exclusivity, or to debate about the 3DS, or PSP, or PS3, or iPhone.

duckroll

Psychotext said:
I wonder if they can envisage a multiplayer system which would work for the game.

VC2 has multiplayer. I've played co-op over Adhoc Party a few times now, as long as you can communicate with the other players it's great fun. Since players can take turns simultaneously, voice chat is essential.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
It would be cool if they moved away from Gallia and started focusing on the real war between the Empire and the Federation.

thcsquad

I haven't played VC2, so I don't know if people were exaggerating this, but I hope they don't keep the 'forced grinding' I heard about in VC2. I'm also partial to VC1's character designs over VC2'.

Also, some kind of multiplayer would be interesting. Back in my FFT days, I thought about how cool it would be to play against another person's party, and I am getting a similar feeling here. As for the post above me (edit: Psychotext), I don't think it would take much of a stretch to find a multiplayer design that works - just be able to take your squad online and play against other people would be jizztastic.

Look at them breasts. Can we expect all the girls to have a major upgrade as well?

Competitive Online would be neat. never really seen one in this genre. Coop would be good too but I don't really expect SEGA to pull it off.

ezekial45

Banned
I'd love another VC game. On one condition though:

DON'T FUCKING HAVE CHARACTER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS TO ADVANCE THEIR CLASS!!!!!

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Hcoregamer00 said:
It would be cool if they moved away from Gallia and started focusing on the real war between the Empire and the Federation.
That's really the only course I can see the series taking.

Hcoregamer00

DMPrince said:
Look at them breasts. Can we expect all the girls to have a major upgrade as well?

Competitive Online would be neat. never really seen one in this genre. Coop would be good too but I don't really expect SEGA to pull it off.

Sex sells...

At least they aren't prancing around half-naked 80% of the time like how most games treat the female cast.

Jive Turkey said:
That's really the only course I can see the series taking.

Makes sense since the events in VC1 are just "minor" in the whole war.

Varion

Hcoregamer00 said:
I'm really hoping that's what they do in 3. The end of the first game really made it seem like everything was all peaceful in Gallia and there really doesn't seem to be any need to keep revisiting it when there's a much larger conflict between the two bigger nations to show us. It's also pretty much what the URL implies, so I'm going to believe.

AniHawk

Or maybe Gallia takes over the world with the all those skyships the main characters, Vyse, Aika, and Fina, will fly in on.

Duckroll, pre-announcement is the only time we can get away with platform begging anymore. Don't ruin that for us :(

I'm hoping for expanded multiplayer as well. Still haven't picked up VC2 but I'm absolutely going to before Christmas, I loved the first one too much not to support this series <3

More possible actions per-class would be neat, too. VC2 makes some good changes in this direction.
zurra said:
i just want it to be more like VC1 in pretty much every regard. the expanded classes are cool, maybe make the drops class-based instead of character-based and let everyone pull from the same pool. get rid of the handheld grind! i don't know if they can go back to the magic of VC1's characters (big stumbling point of VC2 for me), but please try. please. :(
But yes, it also seems like VC2 substitutes class changes for what in VC1 was handled as weapon types without necessarily making subclasses more complex or more interesting to play.

duckroll

I don't really want to comment on where the story in VC3 might go just yet. I just made it to September in VC2, and I think there's enough meat in the story of VC2 to partially or directly decide the course that VC3 will be headed towards, even if it takes place before VC2.

They definitely need to do a re-think on some of the stuff they changed in 2. It should be interesting to see exactly what they do gameplay-wise with 3. As far as the visual style, I expect it to be closer to 2 than 1 based on that released image alone, but hey, we'll see.

Hcoregamer00

badcrumble said:
Duckroll, pre-announcement is the only time we can get away with platform begging anymore. Don't ruin that for us :(

I'm hoping for expanded multiplayer as well. Still haven't picked up VC2 but I'm absolutely going to before Christmas, I loved the first one too much not to support this series <3

Ugh, platform begging ruined the original thread.

I prefer that we do substantial talk like storyline speculation or desired gameplay improvements.

Segata Sanshiro said:
They definitely need to do a re-think on some of the stuff they changed in 2. It should be interesting to see exactly what they do gameplay-wise with 3. As far as the visual style, I expect it to be closer to 2 than 1 based on that released image alone, but hey, we'll see.

I do not feel that the changes in art is important between VC1 and VC2. What is important is fixing the gameplay errors made in that transition.

zurra

i just want it to be more like VC1 in pretty much every regard. the expanded classes are cool, maybe make the drops class-based instead of character-based and let everyone pull from the same pool. get rid of the handheld grind! i don't know if they can go back to the magic of VC1's characters (big stumbling point of VC2 for me), but please try. please. :(

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I was being a bit harsh on the characters in the other thread. I guess they're alright. The art style is closer to VC1 but the characters are a bit more eccentric and "anime." There are more pics on the blog http://blog.valkyria.jp/ of the characters replying to each others messages or something. What are they talking about I wonder. Anyone care to translate?

VC1 is my Favorite SRPG of all time... such epic and deep story, and the ending was one of the best ever seen in a game.

I want this to be even more epic than the first one... I want it to stand on it's own story and history... something completely fresh and new :)

Hcoregamer00

superbank said:
I was being a bit harsh on the characters in the other thread. I guess they're alright. The art style is closer to VC1 but the characters are a bit more eccentric and "anime." There are more pics on the blog http://blog.valkyria.jp/ of the characters replying to each others messages or something. What are they talking about I wonder. Anyone care to translate?

You do realize that Valkyria Chronicles 1 is far more "Anime" than 99.9999% of the video games out there.

Not to mention that there is no such thing as a standard "Anime Style."

JudgeN

Alright new thread, like I said before for the people that put some good time into VC2. What would you like to see changed/upgraded for VC3?

Salaadin

JudgeN said:
Alright new thread, like I said before for the people that put some good time into VC2. What would you like to see changed/upgraded for VC3?

Snipers should be their own class.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Hcoregamer00 said:
You do realize that Valkyria Chronicles 1 is far more "Anime" than 99.9999% of the video games out there.

Not to mention that there is no such thing as a standard "Anime Style."

Yes, I said that in the other thread. :p

Yeah I know theres no singular anime style. I'm talking about the fat dude striking his smug pose constantly and the girl being an arrogant looking biotch. The cliches and such that many animes have.

Hcoregamer00

Kagari said:
Improved CANVAS Engine.

Yup, the art style is irrelevant if they can make utilize a great engine. Not to mention the concept art of VC1 is WAY different than the in-game designs. The same thing in Valkyria Chronicles 2.

superbank said:
Yes, I said that in the other thread. :p

Yeah I know theres no singular anime style. I'm talking about the fat dude striking his smug pose constantly and the girl being an arrogant looking biotch. The cliches and such that many animes have.

Yeah, but that is not any different than Valkyria 1 or Valkyria 2.

You have to expect it as part of the franchise to use canned personalities that fit under neat little boxes.

tenton

Hcoregamer00 said:

While the 1935 in the website could be Sega trying to deke everyone, it's quite possible that this is what is going to happen, since 1935, Gallia was busy with the Empire invasion.

Varion

zurra said:
i just want it to be more like VC1 in pretty much every regard. the expanded classes are cool
Well it's pretty obvious those are staying to a degree judging by the swords and riot shields you can see in the silhouette image.

Which is fine, but the credits system needs to be forgotten like a bad dream. If they can find a way to implement an expanded class system without requiring any grinding though then good for them (although I still don't quite understand the logic of short-movement Snipers being an offshoot of the long-movement Scouts, or characters magically forgetting weapons they were good with before when they upgrade)

duckroll

Well, about the art style, there's something else to consider. In VC2, I think it's obvious why they went for the much more anime designs:

- The anime is relatively new, and it would what most people are more familiar with in terms of image association with the series, especially since VC1 is pretty old now.

- The PSP is unable to handle the full 3D Canvas engine cutscenes in the original, so to be able to present the same quality of scenes to the player, they got the studio which handled the anime to do the FMVs.

- To keep it consistent with the FMVs, they character portraits are now closer to the anime designs, and it also means they don't have to model and render higher poly models for all the characters for the normal word bubble cutscenes.

Whether the next game uses an art style closer to the first game, or the second game, will depend entirely on whether Sega feels the change in VC2 was successful in terms of art. If they want to keep the entire series more consistent, then they might well go with VC1 anime -> VC2 -> VC3. Even if the game is on consoles, they could still get A-1 Pictures to do anime FMVs.

Personally I hope that doesn't happen though. But if they do, it's not a huge loss either, because honestly I play the series for the charm and the gameplay. The actual storyline and presentation elements are pretty secondary to me.

As far as gameplay goes, I think it's really simple, and most VC fans will agree.

- KILL THE CREDITS SYSTEM. IT SUCKS.

- Keep all the new classes, if possible add more. The design team for the classes is really good, and I love all the additions in VC2. They're all unique and helpful in their own ways. Fun to play too.

- Keep the enhanced and more detailed vehicle customization system. If possible I'm sure everyone will love to see naval and aerial vehicles as well. Setting the game outside of Gallia will be a good way of introducing naval units too.

- I'll love to see an attempt to take the multi-map system of VC2, and combine it with the size of maps in VC1. Imagine for example the fortress map in VC1 where you fight Selveria, except there are various gateway camp entrances at the button and top corners which lead to areas inside the fortress itself, acting as tunnel shortcuts to surprise the enemy and also as alternate routes to approach to the top.

I think it'd be nice if there were more ways to (for example) start out with a greater maximum amount of ammunition, or regain more than one ammunition per turn, for grenades/rockets/sniper bullets. It'd have to be some kind of top class upgrade, of course, or come at the expense of better aiming or more health or something, but it'd be pretty damn nice to give yourself the ability to do that.

daoster

I like the job system, but as others have said, make the credits pool together, rather than individual based.

I hope they make an attempt to let you get to know the side characters more like they do in VC2. Granted, in VC2 it worked better than VC1 because it's a highschool format, rather than a story book format, and I doubt VC3 will continue the highschool format.

10 or more allies on the field plz.

Psychotext said:
I wonder if they can envisage a multiplayer system which would work for the game.

I've always thought that a competitive skirmish mode would be cool in VC.
And maybe it's just me but I would kind of like to control a character to explore areas. I wanted to explore Bruhl at the start of the game and again
when it was liberated
or the cemetary and areas around the base.

Suzuki Yu

again
i can't see any problem with character design in this picture .
at least i can say for now that the art style is way better than VCII IMO .
it's much closer to VC1 than VC2

Hcoregamer00

duckroll said:
Well, about the art style, there's something else to consider. In VC2, I think it's obvious why they went for the much more anime designs:

- The anime is relatively new, and it would what most people are more familiar with in terms of image association with the series, especially since VC1 is pretty old now.

- The PSP is unable to handle the full 3D Canvas engine cutscenes in the original, so to be able to present the same quality of scenes to the player, they got the studio which handled the anime to do the FMVs.

- To keep it consistent with the FMVs, they character portraits are now closer to the anime designs, and it also means they don't have to model and render higher poly models for all the characters for the normal word bubble cutscenes.

Whether the next game uses an art style closer to the first game, or the second game, will depend entirely on whether Sega feels the change in VC2 was successful in terms of art. If they want to keep the entire series more consistent, then they might well go with VC1 anime -> VC2 -> VC3. Even if the game is on consoles, they could still get A-1 Pictures to do anime FMVs.

Personally I hope that doesn't happen though. But if they do, it's not a huge loss either, because honestly I play the series for the charm and the gameplay. The actual storyline and presentation elements are pretty secondary to me.

As far as gameplay goes, I think it's really simple, and most VC fans will agree.

- Keep all the new classes, if possible add more. The design team for the classes is really good, and I love all the additions in VC2. They're all unique and helpful in their own ways. Fun to play too.

- Keep the enhanced and more detailed vehicle customization system. If possible I'm sure everyone will love to see naval and aerial vehicles as well. Setting the game outside of Gallia will be a good way of introducing naval units too.

- I'll love to see an attempt to take the multi-map system of VC2, and combine it with the size of maps in VC1. Imagine for example the fortress map in VC1 where you fight Selveria, except there are various gateway camp entrances at the button and top corners which lead to areas inside the fortress itself, acting as tunnel shortcuts to surprise the enemy and also as alternate routes to approach to the top.

Great post, Five Stars!!!

You get an S Ranking A ranking

daoster said:
I like the job system, but as others have said, make the credits pool together, rather than individual based.

I hope they make an attempt to let you get to know the side characters more like they do in VC2. Granted, in VC2 it worked better than VC1 because it's a highschool format, rather than a story book format, and I doubt VC3 will continue the highschool format.

10 or more allies on the field plz.

I think I mentioned the first point many times, the Credit system isn't that bad, but here is what they should do:
-Pool the credits together
-Allow characters to move between classes without forcing them to use the same credits to open it again should a map need a class change.

I also agree, deeper character development for the secondary characters. It makes VC2 such a great experience since you get to know everyone.

duckroll

Suzuki Yu said:
again
i can't see any problem with character design in this picture .
at least i can say for now that the art style is way better than VCII IMO .
it's much closer to VC1 than VC2

The art style in that pic might not be indicative of the actual art in the game at all. It's something they did for the blog, and it's only meant to tease the two new characters. Just like how there are many different art styles for VC1 and VC2 characters from various different media forms, and they're all official art.

ezekial45

Banned
Sub_Level said:
Gonna skip this one and wait it out for Valkyria Chronicles 4: Modern Warfare.

That would be an interesting concept though. The year 2010 in the VC universe. Makes you wonder what kind stuff would be in that kind of game.

Btw, how is the VC series doing for Sega? I'd imagine the games are much more popular in Japan. Are they selling well?

rykomatsu said:
Vyse is dead.

In the Anime, but the game series they left after the war in the first game.

Salaadin

badcrumble said:
I think it'd be nice if there were more ways to (for example) start out with a greater maximum amount of ammunition, or regain more than one ammunition per turn, for grenades/rockets/sniper bullets. It'd have to be some kind of top class upgrade, of course, or come at the expense of better aiming or more health or something, but it'd be pretty damn nice to give yourself the ability to do that.

I always thought that an supply gun for the engineers would be kinda cool and maybe let it be upgraded so that you get more than one shot per turn or something or add in a potential that lets you get off two shots with it. That way your engineers dont have to run halfway across the field just to tap that Lancer and give him more shots.

Hcoregamer00

LiquidMetal14 said:
So you locked the other thread for this?>?!!?!?!?

Good call

Agreed, I love this thread ten times more since there are no people mentioning gaming platforms and other crap NOT RELATED to what Valkyria Chronicles 3 will eventually be.

VC2 showed that the transition from console to handheld console means that little is lost in terms of the game experience. The problem with VC2 was Sega's implementation of new ideas, which would have sucked regardless of the final platform used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom