• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles for PC [Nov 11, £14/20/$20, has all DLC, 60fps/1080p+, $14 GMG]

Corpekata

Banned
Never played the game but to the people who have played it already. Do you think it will benefit more from m/kb or to be played with a controller?

KBAM if done right, especially from the tactical view, would be pretty great. Still plays well with a controller but if the setup is decent, it'll work rather well there.

Almighty

Do it. It's what I did. My brother wasn't likely to buy this game (or even really notice), but it's something I know he'd enjoy playing, so I just bought him a copy.

Well I did it.

Never played the game but to the people who have played it already. Do you think it will benefit more from m/kb or to be played with a controller?

If Sega does it right the game should work extremely well with the keyboard and mouse.

PensOwl

Banned
A lot of people seem to be buying this to support the franchise, or encourage Sega to port other games (Vanquish)

So I guess my question is who is working on this port? I heard the Sega team responsible for Valkyria Chronicles is all working on mobile junk, and the VC franchise is basically dead besides Selvaria's boobs popping up in random pachinko machines. Is the PC getting VC2 and 3? Is there any possibility of a VC4 if I gift this to everyone on my friends list during the Christmas sale?

There are so many questions none of this makes sense

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Valkyria Chronicles has been one of those games that I've really wished I'd played when it was new. I've moved on from PS3 to PS4 as my main console. I'm buying this in the winter during the Steam sale.

But, it makes me wonder: how come more devs don't just release these ports on PS4/XBO also?

Nyoro SF

Valkyria Chronicles has been one of those games that I've really wished I'd played when it was new. I've moved on from PS3 to PS4 as my main console. I'm buying this in the winter during the Steam sale.

But, it makes me wonder: how come more devs don't just release these ports on PS4/XBO also?

The only ones who know that for this game are SEGA. Like with many companies, their release strategy on any platforms will always be invisible.

I'd imagine a lot more overhead is involved getting it on consoles and the legs tend to be shorter.

Talking out my ass here but isn't there a bunch of expensive fees to put a game on console? Maybe the game didn't sell well on console so they feel it isn't worth it? I have no idea. I'm probably totally off. Also strategy games tend to do well on PC so there is that.

Sectus

My personal bet is that Sega sees Steam as a less risky investment, VC1 didn't exactly sell like hotcakes on a console originally, and it's a response to the PC petition.

I wouldn't mind seeing it for even more platforms, but I'm super happy this is coming to PC. That a niche PS3 title from 2008 is now getting an excellent PC port is still baffling me.

If only the Dragon's Dogma for PC petition I made some years ago could have been as successful, *sniff sniff*.

Haven't played it either, but several have already said that it would be better played with M/KB.

Without knowing if Sega totally screwed up the mouse/keyboard controls, I'd say the game might benefit slightly from M/KB. The map screen and game menus would be much better served by a mouse, but when it comes to the actual gameplay the controller's totally fine, especially once you realize you can use the d-pad for fine aiming when taking a shot. Hell, even the PSP controls were more than workable for VC2 and VC3. I'd say use whatever you're most comfortable with.

pastrami

It'll be fine with a mouse and keyboard, and it really doesn't matter either way. When you are aiming, time stops so you can take your time, and I don't believe the movement was analog speed-wise. So just use whatever your preferred control method is.

georly

You guys think it'll drop more than 14 for holiday sale? Should I wait? I'm too busy w/ bayo/smash right now to dedicate any real time to it. I'm not even sure if this is the kind of game I like or want to play, but code name steam seemed similar to this game, so I kinda wanted to try it out before buying the 3DS game next year.

You guys think it'll drop more than 14 for holiday sale? Should I wait? I'm too busy w/ bayo/smash right now to dedicate any real time to it. I'm not even sure if this is the kind of game I like or want to play, but code name steam seemed similar to this game, so I kinda wanted to try it out before buying the 3DS game next year.

You can buy it from dmix90 in buy sell thread for $11.99 right now!

PensOwl

Banned
Haven't played it either, but several have already said that it would be better played with M/KB.

It's debatable, the menus are obviously very controller oriented, and you have an infinite amount of time to aim so using a controller isn't that much of a hassle.

This is assuming that Sega hasn't made any mkb optimizations beyond the basics of course. Who knows, we might even see the return of the dreaded negative acceleration.

iavi

from that recommended spec sheet that calls for toasters to all the info given so far, this is how a port should be handled.

I knew my faith would be rewarded.

Durante

Any chance that some post-processing sharpening and downsampling could reduce the super soft look of the game?
Probably, but I certainly wouldn't do it. That's how the game should look. I plan to downsample it with bicubic :p

What I'd really be interested in is a fitting (non-photorealistic, ideally using the same stroke texture) AO implementation. We'll see how feasible that is.

leng jai

Bought. Love how the release date was so soon after the announcement. Price concerns me after the FF13 debacle, but we'll see. Sega usually do decent ports.

Who knows, but I suspect this is Sega testing the waters relatively risk free. I would expect if VC does come to consoles later they would have to do a HD remake of 2 and 3, which of corse is significantly more work.

-MD-

Know nothing about this game, bought anyway. Gotta support moves like this :)

post-38234-snoop-dogg-nodding-yes-gif-Img-KPHy.gif

Wonko_C

Come on SEGA, with YouTube recently pushing 60fps videos now is the perfect time to advertise this game with a glorious 1080p/60fps trailer!

Qassim

I played the demo on PS3 back when that first came out, and I did enjoy what I played, I just didn't get around to buying it for whatever reason.

6 years later, I am getting around to buying it!

vcpc.png

vakj_zps45e79240.jpg

dekodeko_zps7u0ko5ii.gif

BRING IT ON, SEGA. THE MOE, THE VANQUISH, THE BAYOTETAS, EVERYTHING. EVERYONE. And, yeah, I always rate up everything in my blotter, including my own posts, haha!

Falk

that puzzling face

PC is probably the most financially sound place to put a port (especially for posterity) unless you're investing a shit ton of resources into prettying up the graphics/music, which is essentially HD Remaster territory and a slightly different ballgame from a posterity/nostalgia-based effort.

How is this game so low in the top sellers in steam?

It's Top #15 (checked moments ago) and has been 12, how is that low? It's also competing against a bunch of ridiculously popular stuff like the new Sid Meier titles, the ever-selling CS:GO, Football Manager and other "macho" stuff like Lord of the Fallen (someone please find a way to change the capsule art, that cover is a crime against nature, bald angry dude and all, to think they even had the never of putting a bloody statue of the guy as a collectible, lol), I would say it's doing pretty damn well. Hell, it's quite way above DayZ, another Steam darling.

I also take that sales through other outlets (like GMG) don't count to the Top Sellers within Steam, right? (I bought it on Steam because I had Steam Wallet cash left, heh.)

Anyway, need to get that hype tank rolling, GAF!

-MD-

It's Top #15 (checked moments ago) and has been 12, how is that low? It's also competing against a bunch of ridiculously popular stuff like the new Sid Meier titles, the ever-selling CS:GO, Football Manager and other "macho" stuff like Lord of the Fallen (someone please find a way to change the capsule art, that cover is a crime against nature, bald angry dude and all, to think they even had the never of putting a bloody statue of the guy as a collectible, lol), I would say it's doing pretty damn well. Hell, it's quite way above DayZ, another Steam darling.

I also take that sales through other outlets (like GMG) don't count to the Top Sellers within Steam, right? (I bought it on Steam because I had Steam Wallet cash left, heh.)

Not to mention in the middle of the Halloween sale.

Grief.exe

Hnnnnnng I need this
Dragon's Dogma for PC petition

Capcom has been doing pretty damn good lately. We had an excellent port of RE4 this year and REmake release in early 2015.

I talk to their community manager on occasion and he always discusses the financials and pitfals to respective ports. They are always interested in doing goodwill projects such as these, but it generally comes down to funds and timing. Capcom prefers to use internal studios for new, more lucrative projects, and contract out to other studios for these older ports.

Peff

It's just awkward timing, but yeah, it's not doing badly. FFXIII had a September pre-order with nothing big around it. Everything in the top 15 is either a huge seller (remember it's revenue-based, so 1 copy of Borderlands/Civilization is three of VC) or super cheap, and indeed GMG copies don't count, even if they're Steamworks. If it can keep up like this until release it might even be pure profit by then, but it would be nice to see it break into the top 5.

Top Bottom