• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve: 35 million active Steam users, Source is "about to get even better", and more

Angry Fork

Psychologist
Hyped.

300px-Gordon_Freeman.jpg

XeroSauce

How I wish I were done school and had some experience so I could apply to work there. They are my favorite company by far and it sounds like it would be amazing to work with them.

Wallach said:
It's pretty interesting and I've been meaning to make a thread for discussing the nature of it, but I've been pretty busy lately and haven't sat down to really do that.

It's actually not nuts at all; that kind of abstract value is already the driving force behind so much of gaming in general. The fact that these guys have a platform with the opportunity to open that value back to the user rather than lock it to the game itself is really awesome. I just hope developers realize what kind of value that system has. It's definitely one of the most important ideas I've seen in the PC gaming space in at least a decade.
Yeah, but that value has always been, at least to me, how much fun I can get out of the game. To actually receive some tangible reward for having fun that I can then trade for something of real life value goes above and beyond anything I ever expected. I mean, I used to laugh at people who paid money for things like TF2 hats. Sure, I spent a few bucks here and there on keys to those dummy crates, but that was only because I'd played the game for years and years and felt that I wanted to give Valve some more money. I got the game with TOB - as so many did - and it received more playtime than any other game I've ever played, except for WoW, which hardly counts. Now my silly little dress-up doll polygons are worth money!

It is nuts to me. x:

Wallach

Togglesworlh said:
Yeah, but that value has always been, at least to me, how much fun I can get out of the game. To actually receive some tangible reward for having fun that I can then trade for something of real life value goes above and beyond anything I ever expected. I mean, I used to laugh at people who paid money for things like TF2 hats. Sure, I spent a few bucks here and there on keys to those dummy crates, but that was only because I'd played the game for years and years and felt that I wanted to give Valve some more money. I got the game with TOB - as so many did - and it received more playtime than any other game I've ever played, except for WoW, which hardly counts. Now my silly little dress-up doll polygons are worth money!

It is nuts to me. x:

Is it really, though? I mean, is the idea of trading in a game to Gamestop that nuts? Because, ultimately, the spirit of the two ideas is not very different. They're both trying to solve the same problem.

strata8

bangai-o said:
why isnt alot of devs using Source?

This:
snoopeasystreet said:
What's Hammer like these days? Still a load of bollox to use?

It's really difficult to use, and although it runs well on older PCs, it's not exactly cutting edge compared to Unreal Engine 3/CryEngine 3. It seems like you'd need really good art to back it up.

Emitan

ZoddGutts said:
Finally Source 2.0 no more freaking loading in mid level. Stream loading ftw.
They don't need "Source 2.0" to remove streaming. They're incorporating it into Source.

Amir0x

Banned
God I hope it gets so much better that it can procedurally generate HALF-LIFE 3 so I can play it already goddamn it

Hylian7

I can't find the source for this, but I remember a few years ago Gabe said something about them going to a Psychologist about stuff for doing Steam sales. Perhaps the reason one is on the list is because they want to have one in-house now?

Emitan

ZoddGutts said:
If they could have incorporated it in Source they would have done it a long time ago.
They stated they were working on it recently (as in after Portal 2). They can't just magically incorporate everything they want at once.

Wallach said:
Is it really, though? I mean, is the idea of trading in a game to Gamestop that nuts? Because, ultimately, the spirit of the two ideas is not very different. They're both trying to solve the same problem.
But I'm not trading in the game. I can still keep playing the game. I'm trading in some items I found in the game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ZoddGutts said:
If they could have incorporated it in Source they would have done it a long time ago.

I believe Gabe has said that the upcoming revisions to Source will split the code base, (likely) meaning that Dota 2 and CS:GO will be the last games to use the "old" Source engine while future games will use the upcoming "new" Source engine. It's not just an incremental upgrade, such as you see in L4D2 -> Portal 2, for instance; as of (I think) Portal 2: The Final Hours there were dozens of people working on it and had been for quite a long time.

Data streaming will definitely be in. Wolpaw coyly hinted at such during a Portal 2 lecture earlier in the year.

Hylian7 said:
I can't find the source for this, but I remember a few years ago Gabe said something about them going to a Psychologist about stuff for doing Steam sales. Perhaps the reason one is on the list is because they want to have one in-house now?

Actually they have one since 2008.

Now they want a second one XD

ezekial45

Banned
I'd really love to be a writer for Valve. That seems like the funnest job there. Though I'd imagine how strict they are when it comes to hiring, I'm sure it's also the hardest one to get.

Kerrby

Banned
The hiring of a Psychologist isn't interesting or weird in the slightest, most companies hire Psychologists to work within the company.

Wallach

Togglesworlh said:
But I'm not trading in the game. I can still keep playing the game. I'm trading in some items I found in the game.

Indeed. That is the core difference in how they are solving the problem; the problem being solved is that of how someone goes about getting value back out of purchases they've made.

If we know that it's the content on the disc that provides the value, why is it surprising that it should retain that value when offered to another user? It's not the act of ownership or the media it is contained on that holds the real value - even Gamestop can't contest that when they tell you they won't give you more than a couple dollars for some games. That's because the content on them is what drives the value.

The way they differ in solving that problem comes down to selling access of content versus exchanging specific content without changes to access rights. The former really only has one significant advantage currently, which is the option to receive raw currency for payment.

Obsessed said:
:0

Holy shit you need to make a huge thread about it if you get the position.

If I get it, I'm giving shoutouts to GAF 24/7. It would be nice to land it; and work on HL3 T_T. I'd love to go on the develop commentary (ala HL2) and shout out gaf.

Would be awesome.

Boney said:
I love that the second graph has hats and hats as the 2 axis hehehe

"As you can see from this chart, we have more Hats per Hat than any other gaming company out there. We're so far ahead in this metric it's embarrassing frankly."

Emitan

Angelus Errare said:
If I get it, I'm giving shoutouts to GAF 24/7. It would be nice to land it; and work on HL3 T_T. I'd love to go on the develop commentary (ala HL2) and shout out gaf.

Would be awesome.
GAFnade Launcher: Shoots GAF logos that explode. Best weapon in the game. Get on it!

Wallach said:
Indeed. That is the core difference in how they are solving the problem; the problem being solved is that of how someone goes about getting value back out of purchases they've made.

If we know that it's the content on the disc that provides the value, why is it surprising that it should retain that value when offered to another user? It's not the act of ownership or the media it is contained on that holds the real value - even Gamestop can't contest that when they tell you they won't give you more than a couple dollars for some games. That's because the content on them is what drives the value.

The way they differ in solving that problem comes down to selling access of content versus exchanging specific content without changes to access rights. The former really only has one significant advantage currently, which is the option to receive raw currency for payment.
But my point is that currently, at Gamestop, since you keep using that as an example, you have to actually give up your game in order to get the money. It's gone, forever, unless you buy it again at some point in the future.

When you trade a hat from TF2, the only thing you're giving up is a model, of which you might already have a double, and which you only earned because the game randomly gives them to you. Once you give it up, you can easily get another for free, luck willing, and then trade it away again. Furthermore, you are able and allowed and probably encouraged to keep playing the game as you please.

I really don't think they're comparable situations at all aside from the fact that in both cases, you are trading one thing for another. This Steam Trading thing is magnificent and bizarre.

The closest equivalent is probably buying EVE Online game time with in-game money, which is something hardcore players regularly do, as I understand.

Damn, no spots open for lawyers, man I bet they have amazing legal counsel.

I love Valve so much, so much time spent with their contributions to this hobby. Can't wait for DOTA2, I'm going to spend $60 in whatever they offer so I can feel as if I bought the game as if it were retail (assuming it's F2P).

Wallach

Togglesworlh said:
But my point is that currently, at Gamestop, since you keep using that as an example, you have to actually give up your game in order to get the money. It's gone, forever, unless you buy it again at some point in the future.

When you trade a hat from TF2, the only thing you're giving up is a model, of which you might already have a double, and which you only earned because the game randomly gives them to you. Once you give it up, you can easily get another for free, luck willing, and then trade it away again. Furthermore, you are able and allowed and probably encouraged to keep playing the game as you please.

I really don't think they're comparable situations at all aside from the fact that in both cases, you are trading one thing for another. This Steam Trading thing is magnificent and bizarre.

The closest equivalent is probably buying EVE Online game time with in-game money, which is something hardcore players regularly do, as I understand.

The reason they are comparable is, like I said, the problem that both models are trying to provide a solution to is the same. One of them just sucks ass at it for pretty much everyone involved, with the only current benefit being an actual currency payout within the model.

Wallach said:
The reason they are comparable is, like I said, the problem that both models are trying to provide a solution to is the same. One of them just sucks ass at it for pretty much everyone involved, with the only current benefit being an actual currency payout within the model.
I guess I see what you're saying, but it feels to me like the problem Valve is trying to solve is more along the lines of, "How can we reward our fans?" more than anything else.

Slavik81

bangai-o said:
why isnt alot of devs using Source?
Their tools are atrociously terrible and the best thing about their engine is that they built it and thus can do whatever they want with it.

Yeef

I wonder how many of those 'active' accounts are idle accounts people use for TF2 items. just by myself I have 7 extra accounts and that's fairly tame compared to the armies of accounts I've seen some people with.

Also, I would love for them to forward port some of their older games to the latest version of Source. I'd love to play (or make) a TF2 map with world portals.

Emitan

Yeef said:
I wonder how many of those 'active' accounts are idle accounts people use for TF2 items. just by myself I have 7 extra accounts and that's fairly tame compared to the armies of accounts I've seen some people with.

Also, I would love for them to forward port some of their older games to the latest version of Source. I'd love to play (or make) a TF2 map with world portals.
Valve's not going to update TF2 because it'll lose DirectX 8 support. They stated that when L4D came out.

Yeef

Billychu said:
I'm 99% sure they've said that. Google searching has show up nothing so I'm searching through all of their blog posts :/
I vaguely recall it as well. i just selectively forgot about it because I wants my impossible spaces!

Emitan

Togglesworlh said:
oh man really but it's DIRECT ECKS EIGHT that's so oooooooold
How would you feel if one day all your games didn't run because the developers decided to require superior hardware for a game you've owned and ran...ok... for years? Not very good.

Yeah I know I get it.

But screw those luddites GET WITH THE TIMES.

I'm really interested in knowing how Source is going to "get even better".

epmode

Billychu said:
How would you feel if one day all your games didn't run because the developers decided to require superior hardware for a game you've owned and ran...ok... for years? Not very good.
If it was a single-player game otherwise disconnected from the rest of the world, I understand the complaint.

For something like TF2 that has already been updated so much that it's almost its own sequel, the complaint isn't quite valid. Valve has said that the current version of TF2 can't even run on consoles simply because it requires so much extra RAM for all of the new models and content.

Top Bottom