• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve: 35 million active Steam users, Source is "about to get even better", and more

I don't think we'll ever see "Source 2" they will just continue to update and improve the engine they already use.

I'd like to see DX11 and it's features added.

wutwutwut

Billychu said:
How would you feel if one day all your games didn't run because the developers decided to require superior hardware for a game you've owned and ran...ok... for years? Not very good.
To be fair, that's already happened, especially with all the new particle effects from Cow Mangler and friends.

Card Boy

Banned
I have 5 big issues will Valve and Steam.

1) Regional pricing. Valve is 50% responsible for this. Everything from the 1EUD = 1 US to letting pubs price gouge Aussies and New Zealanders. If your going to charge us in US dollars, then treat it as an import and don't let pubs rip us off. At least alow us to buy off the US Store you shysters.

2) If you get banned you lose your subscriptions. What the ef is this? If you paid for a game it's yours for life.

3) Allowing pubs to put extra DRM on games on Steam, when Steam itself is DRM.

Eg. GTA4
-GFWL
-Rockstar Social Club
-SecuROM
-Steam itself

(i realize R* Social isn't DRM per say)

4) Locking down accounts when it comes to pay disputes and permanently locking them down if you use a pre-paid credit card and you can't pay it off.

5) Shithouse support team, can randomly take anywhere from hours to months to respond to tickets and even then its generic reply telling you to take it up with a publisher. Robert Clarke alone from Greenman Gaming has singlehandingly destroyed Valves support team and he is only 1 man.

Yeef

wutwutwut said:
To be fair, that's already happened, especially with all the new particle effects from Cow Mangler and friends.
not to mention the lack of LOD models for most items in the game.

Sober

wilflare said:
i hope they hire "Historian" :/
Sadly I think you'd have a better chance at Paradox, though I also doubt it (bet they have stacks of books for all that historical info they have though).

Though honestly I think the cool part is you all can contribute. I'm pretty sure the Food Services guy or the Psychologist will also have their chance at input in development, rather than just be a service for the dev teams.

wutwutwut

Gez said:
4) Locking down accounts when it comes to pay disputes and permanently locking them down if you use a pre-paid credit card and you can't pay it off.
This is the right thing to do, unfortunately. A chargeback is effectively an accusation that the company has acted in bad faith. Too many chargebacks and Valve might lose their merchant license and be banned for life, plus the only way to actually reverse one is via the exact same card. It makes complete sense to lock your account until the chargeback's been reversed -- if I were Valve I'd do that too.

max-pain

Billychu said:
How would you feel if one day all your games didn't run because the developers decided to require superior hardware for a game you've owned and ran...ok... for years? Not very good.

They have already done that with most of the pre orange box source games when they updated them to source engine 2007.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Gez said:

Eg. GTA4
-GFWL
-Rockstar Social Club
-SecuROM
-Steam itself

5) Shithouse support team, can randomly take anywhere from hours to months to respond to tickets and even then its generic reply telling you to take it up with a publisher. Robert Clarke alone from Greenman Gaming has singlehandingly destroyed Valves support team and he is only 1 man.

These two are huge. I am all for Valve locking out games with outside DRM. They all don't have to use Steamworks, but two layers of DRM is ass and speaks against having the customer in mind.

Steam support is terrible. A week ago, my friends was suspends from Dead Island for no reason. He hadn't even been online when they suspended him. They claimed he didn't own a legit copy of Dead Island. What? How is that possible when Dead Island is a Steamworks games? So, he sends them a picture with the CD code, the retail disc with a personalized note. Their response? None.

Terrible. He no longer uses Steam. Can't blame him.

bede-x

Valve said:
It began as a little sleeper project—a handy tool to update Counter-Strike—and morphed pretty quickly into the world's largest online gaming platform. Steam guarantees instant access to more than 1,800 game titles and connects its 35 million active users to each other—and to us.

I wonder what they mean by "largest"?

How many users does IOS and the app store have? Didn't Gamecenter have something like 50 million after only 9 months, meaning that the app store itself - even the gaming section alone - must be even higher than that? And if by largest they're talking about number of titles even the 360 has more than 1800 games(Xbla/indie/gameroom/demand) and again the IOS app store is far above that.

Have they specified what an active user is?

DTKT

bede-x said:
I wonder what they mean by "largest"?

How many users does IOS and the app store have? Didn't Gamecenter have something like 50 million after only 9 months, meaning that the app store itself - even the gaming section alone - must be even higher than that? And if by largest they're talking about number of titles even the 360 has more than 1800 games(Xbla/indie/gameroom/demand) and again the IOS app store is far above that.

Have they specified what an active user is?

Isn't that just marketing speech? I'm sure they think they are the largest. :)

rezuth

bangai-o said:
why isnt alot of devs using Source?
The tools are very out-dated, still gotta do a lot of manual compiling and stupid shit that shouldn't be there in these modern ages.

JaseC said:
I believe Gabe has said that the upcoming revisions to Source will split the code base, (likely) meaning that Dota 2 and CS:GO will be the last games to use the "old" Source engine while future games will use the upcoming "new" Source engine. It's not just an incremental upgrade, such as you see in L4D2 -> Portal 2, for instance; as of (I think) Portal 2: The Final Hours there were dozens of people working on it and had been for quite a long time.

Data streaming will definitely be in. Wolpaw coyly hinted at such during a Portal 2 lecture earlier in the year.

They have split Source on two occasions already, the latest one being Orange Box IIRC.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
wutwutwut said:
I think it's "logged in" in the last 30 days.
No, they even said you had to do more the log in, since they are aware there are people's computers set to auto launch steam, but they aren't actually active users.

Card Boy

Banned
wutwutwut said:
This is the right thing to do, unfortunately. A chargeback is effectively an accusation that the company has acted in bad faith. Too many chargebacks and Valve might lose their merchant license and be banned for life, plus the only way to actually reverse one is via the exact same card. It makes complete sense to lock your account until the chargeback's been reversed -- if I were Valve I'd do that too.

Valve makes it so have so you have to pay a dispute with the credit card it was purchased with originaly (if that makes sense). If you used a pre-paid visa credit card and no-longer have it or chucked it out, you are fucked and your account is gone forever.

This is my issue.

wutwutwut

Drkirby said:
No, they even said you had to do more the log in, since they are aware there are people's computers set to auto launch steam, but they aren't actually active users.
Oh wow, that's very impressive then. 35 million people logging in and playing at least one game a month...

Gez said:
Valve makes it so have so you have to pay a dispute with the credit card it was purchased with originaly (if that makes sense). If you used a pre-paid visa credit card and no-longer have it or chucked it out, you are fucked and your account is gone forever.

This is my issue.
As I said, the only way to reverse a chargeback is to pay with the exact same card. Chargebacks are very serious business. I'm not happy about it, but I completely agree with Valve here.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Gez said:

This is my issue.

You know if they just let charge backs go they could eventually lose the ability to even accept Visa etc.? All merchants take this seriously. Charge back on an MMO for instance, lose your account. You might get it back if you fix it.

noobie

Banned
When a group of engineers want to go off and get Portal 2 shipped for PS3, anybody who disagreed would still know we’d learn a lot from that failure. Failure is not of zero value, we don’t want to make a habit of it obviously, but failing can teach us a lot.

does this mean PS3 version of Portal 2 is a failure.?

Yeef said:
I wonder how many of those 'active' accounts are idle accounts people use for TF2 items. just by myself I have 7 extra accounts and that's fairly tame compared to the armies of accounts I've seen some people with.

Also, I would love for them to forward port some of their older games to the latest version of Source. I'd love to play (or make) a TF2 map with world portals.
Not even the world portals, just the normal portal-gun portals would be fine. Then koth_Aperture_Science's portals might actually look right.

alstein

Lasthope106 said:
Are there any other video game companies in the world with this type of positions. Seriously, they are running a freaking R&D lab for video games.

Those positions are more to help separate us from our money then to improve the games. Same with the Psychologist. That said, given the cross-country trading issues, I can see an Economist being useful there as well.

Paradox is run by an economist. Also, I know Paradox has contracted out some historians in the past.

While not an economist, Cliffski over at Positech has run some economic experiments with his games. He comes to some different conclusions then Valve on many things, though I suspect it's coming from being a rather small indy.

wutwutwut said:

You know, it is quite possible that Valve has acted in bad faith in those cases, or at the very least, the customer is not at fault. Given Valve's extremely slow support, waiting on Valve isn't a satisfactory solution. While I think these cases are rare, I suspect that many of the anti-Valve folks are folks who have gotten burned in the past, or at least felt like they have been. Also, let's be real here: if a big company could be banned for life, Valve wouldn't be the first one to be banned.

This right here is why I tend to buy Steam games through Gamersgate instead, or retail. It's just safer. I'll buy off the Steam store , but only games which don't use Steamworks, such as Dredmor and Mount and Blade. It's not that I hate Steam, I just distrust's Valve's policies in this area.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Stuff like this makes me feel like an ass for not enjoying basically any source engine games. The feel is always just so off to me.

Steam is basically perfect outside of the double/triple DRM situation and the INSANELY AWFUL customer service.

Get your account hijacked because your email got stolen during the PSN fiasco? Get ready for months of emails with little help!

robin2

Gez said:

This is my issue.

Hum could you explaint this a little more?

Chargeback in the sense of: valve requests more money from you, for a purchase you paid "lower" than you sould have?
I don't undertsand.

Revoke a charge on your credit card (charge back). The requirements for a charge back with your CC company will revoke charges with a simple complaints. But if you do this Valve will ban/suspend your account.

wutwutwut

robin2 said:
Hum could you explaint this a little more?

Chargeback in the sense of: valve requests more money from you, for a purchase you paid "lower" than you sould have?
I don't undertsand.
A chargeback is where you ask your bank to reverse a transaction on a particular credit card. You're saying that this transaction shouldn't have happened. There are two ways this can go:
- either your CC got stolen and used for another account, in which case that other account gets locked. This is fine, of course.
- you charge a transaction you made on your account back. This generally means that you're accusing Valve of some sort of fraudulent behaviour. Too many of these and Valve gets heavy penalties imposed. Gabe might even get banned and blacklisted from accepting credit cards for the rest of his life, so even if he opens up a new company he wouldn't be able to become a merchant.

That's why if you think a transaction's been made in error, it is generally much better to try to resolve the issue with the merchant than go straight to your bank.

Gez said:

Eg. GTA4
-GFWL
-Rockstar Social Club
-SecuROM
-Steam itself

Unfortunately, if they tried to force "no DRM outside of what Steam 'is'", most of the major current pubs would refuse to work with them. It isn't just marketing speak, a lot of higher-ups at these publishers really are that psychotic about DRM and the idea that The Poors might dare to "steal" a videogame.

Really, blame the pubs for this one, not Valve. If Valve refused, they'd have practically nobody to publish.

zythyl

Neo Member
Gez said:
I have 5 big issues will Valve and Steam.

1) Regional pricing. Valve is 50% responsible for this. Everything from the 1EUD = 1 US to letting pubs price gouge Aussies and New Zealanders. If your going to charge us in US dollars, then treat it as an import and don't let pubs rip us off. At least alow us to buy off the US Store you shysters.

Just get a friend to gift it to you from the US... and it's not 50/50, it's almost entirely the pub's fault.

Gez said:
2) If you get banned you lose your subscriptions. What the ef is this? If you paid for a game it's yours for life.

If you get banned, then you deserve to lose your subs. Valve (last time I checked) are pretty lenient when it comes to getting banned; you must be doing something PRETTY bad to get banned. Plus they ban you from certain game depending on what you do - if you get an all-out Steam ban then you probably deserve it, like I said.

Gez said:

Eg. GTA4
-GFWL
-Rockstar Social Club
-SecuROM
-Steam itself

Steam isn't DRM per se, it's a distribution platform like Stardock's Impulse. You can play your games offline. Additional DRM is at the behest of the pubs - if you're hating on Steam for "additional" DRM it's rather arbitrary given you're buying a game with said DRM regardless.

Gez said:

A simple email explaining your situation is almost always has a warm reception with Valve's marketing / sales department. If you're card is rejected and you don't tell them for months then yeah... self explanatory.

Gez said:

I stopped reading at the first sentence.

Omikaru

The unbridled hate and defending of Steam is getting really tiresome. It's not anywhere near as bad as some of the haters would have you believe, but the fanboys shouldn't be so quick to defend the turdy sides of the service, because there are some.

I think Valve should be more lenient/understanding about payments and locking accounts. Make it a 3 strike rule or something before an account is disabled (with clear notifications to the user about the system, how it works and their standing with it), because sometimes PayPal simply fuck up. Your bank fucks up. Even Valve fucks up. I think it's unfair that you're potentially running a gauntlet when you're planning to legitimately buy games.

And if the payment doesn't go through, just disable the game from the user's account and ask them to pay again. No need to nuke their entire account + thousands of dollars worth of games.

Also, whilst I've never had to deal with Valve support, I do hear it blows.

That said, I'm mostly happy with Steam. I've never had to deal with payment problems, and I've never had a reason to use their support. The client works well, doesn't drain my system resources, games and updates are snippy and the whole thing blends the main conveniences of consoles with the openness of PC (mods, community fixes to unsupported games, the ability to add non-Steam games to it and utilise the overlay in game, and so on). And anyone is a fool who buys all their games on Steam, simply because other services, such as GMG, provide a great service for their customers.

EVH

This kind of freedom inside your job. The chance to do what you really want to do, is what makes Valve not the best place to work at, but the best game developer ever.

DirtRiver

Why the fuck do they want an Economist?

The only other game company that has one, that I know of, is the EVE developer, and we all know EVE is a fucked up game.

Half-Life MMO confirmed

zythyl said:
Steam isn't DRM per se, it's a distribution platform like Stardock's Impulse. You can play your games offline. Additional DRM is at the behest of the pubs - if you're hating on Steam for "additional" DRM it's rather arbitrary given you're buying a game with said DRM regardless.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Steam is a form of DRM.

I'm not going to justify the rest of your post with a direct response, because it's mostly just blind fanboy ramblings - and I say this as someone who is known to worship the ground upon which Valve walks - but on the DRM thing you are factually incorrect.

Wallach

DirtRiver said:
Why the fuck do they want an Economist?

The only other game company that has one, that I know of, is the EVE developer, and we all know EVE is a fucked up game.

Half-Life MMO confirmed

Most other "game companies" don't run enormous digital distribution platforms.

zythyl

Neo Member
Gez said:
I stopped reading at the first sentence.

If you get banned, there's a reason for it. Hence, you probably deserve to. Because being banned and losing all your subs is the result of some pretty serious altercation no doubt.

zythyl

Neo Member
Togglesworlh said:
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Steam is a form of DRM.

I'm not going to justify the rest of your post with a direct response, because it's mostly just blind fanboy ramblings - and I say this as someone who is known to worship the ground upon which Valve walks - but on the DRM thing you are factually incorrect.

Whoa settle there. Steam isn't DRM in the traditional sense and you know that's true.

Card Boy

Banned
hamchan said:
If you get banned from a credit card chargeback you can't access any of your games.

Exactly. This is what I'm trying to say. I've read to many horror stories.

I'm just concerned about my rights as a consumer and stuff that i paid for should be mine forever. I have never had an issue, but its always in the back of my mind when thinking about Steam.

Glass Rebel

I'm glad that the only problem I ever had with a DD platform was not being able to pay with my CC on D2D. Been using Steam, Impulse, GreenManGaming and GetGames without problem.

Top Bottom