• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve and Xi3 announce Steam-based mini-PC

z0m3le

Banned
Steam box is designed to expand the 40m+ steam users, not replace them... If you think of this box in terms of a gaming laptop, its nearly perfect for expected performance of ~600gflops. Seriously it isn't like steam on your pc will stop working and since this is module, it could be upgraded for different levels of performance. I just hope they get the price down to 300. For a console gamer who might want to play pc games, it is a compelling product, especially because 100% of console gamers will not adopt ps4/xb3 at launch.

No, pay for the Valve brand and support.
Many Linux distributors operate this way.

And people are not dumb, Linux is free, anyone can build a PC with medium-high specs. Why to pay?

For a console gamer who might want to play pc games, it is a compelling product, especially because 100% of console gamers will not adopt ps4/xb3 at launch.

And they will pay for a low specs product, yes, of course. Console gamers who want to play PC games, want to play those games better than their consoles, not worse.

iNvid02

about the same size as my cpu cooler lol

4.jpg

Majanew

Banned
If this is the Steam Box that's to compete against Durango/Orbis as many here had speculated/hoped ... then all I have is a big LOL.

z0m3le

Banned
And people are not dumb, Linux is free, anyone can build a PC with medium-high specs. Why to pay?

And they will pay for a low specs product, yes, of course. Console gamers who want to play PC games want to play those games better than consoles, not worse.
Lots of gamers buy multiple consoles, I am not saying that steambox in this form will compete directly with those consoles, but it should end up expanding their market, heck if it expands the steam market by 50% (20m+ users) over the course of the next 5 years, to steam... That would be a huge success.

beast786

G860 CPU
H77 MOBO
8GB RAM
Source 210 CASE
HD6870/GTX560 GPU
VP450 PSU
64GB SSD/ $70 HDD
$20 DVD Burner

Exactly $500

*Barely Outperform is laughable. Consoles will always cater as low as they can go. 120FPS is mindblowing and yet so many are stuck at 30.

After installing windows 8 (15-20GB) and witcher 2 (15gb) and crisis (12gb) , you won't even have space for NFS.

Lol, seriously man

For PC manufactures and assemblers, including the Valve seal on their products might be worth the expense. That's all I'm saying.

Yes, but now, the "Valve seal" is a Windows PC. People who want Steam games just need to buy a current PC.

I can´t see the "need" for a new system, current system (Windows) is good for gaming.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmmm :/

After my own argument in another thread before about how the steam box likely isn't for 'us', I possibly should be less surprised at this form factor.

I don't really care about the steambox in and of itself if this is how it's shaping up, but do care about its potential impact on PC development and minimum spec target. How would a 500gflop gpu in a PC context as a min spec hold up for the next x years, next to what's going on in other new consoles also?

Not to mention I'm not sure how this will compare for value next to other consoles...if you more or less can't take your steam library onto it anyway.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Also, valve 'next-gen' games restricted by this...? :(

Oh well. Maybe that means their games can still come to current gen hw, which might ge a good or bad thing depending on your POV.

I think Valve is trying a different approach here. The portability of this lil bastard is undeniable.

But no way I'm paying over 400 dollars for something like this from the get go.

I just don't see the point... It's a portable x86 machine, good, but without a display and most likely with a tiny hdd.

Why not just get a netbook or other small laptop then?

It has an apu so it won't be any more modular than a laptop so that seems meaningless too.
An apu also can't drive a 1080p display in games at native res (horribly bandwidth bottlenecked, hence why you always see these APU benchmarks at 1366x768 to skew people's perception).

I'd see a lot more use in a smaller non gaming dirt cheap (150 euros or less) portable x86 cube that fits in a briefcase or small bag than in something that isn't viable as a gaming machine nor a desktop replacement nor a laptop replacement and the portability of which adds nothing over a small cheap laptop.

Unless this thing ends up costing less than 200 euros , then sure I guess I can see some use in it for some people.
Right now it seems about as appealing and neccesary as an automatic banana peeler.

Pooya

Oh well. Maybe that means their games can still come to current gen hw, which might ge a good or bad thing depending on your POV.

this looks more like an experimental hardware for entering the business than something aimed at mass market, there is no reason that there won't be yearly refreshes if it catches on, with these specs it won't last much other than for playing indie games which are basically bulk of linux titles anyway.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
this looks more like an experimental hardware for entering the business than something aimed at mass market, there is no reason that there won't be yearly refreshes if it catches on, with these specs it won't last much other than for playing indie games which are basically bulk of linux titles anyway.

If valve releases a console or console spec that won't in some reasonably optimal fashionable play their own new games for a few years, they're just wasting people's time and money, frankly.

Steambox will likely be just like Intel's Centrino. There may be a Valve branded official Steambox, but it will probably just end up being just a specific hardware configuration that publisher's on Steam should target by default.

Valve has been developing their games with high scalability in mind for quite a while now. Why is this a surprise?

Kafel

Banned
Ports, Holes and Dongles
- One ethernet port
- 1/8" audio in/out
- SPDIF optical audio
- Four USB 3.0 ports
- Four USB 2.0 ports (with one dedicated to a keyboard apparently)
- Four eSATAp ports
- Two Mini Display Port ports
- DisplayPort/HDMI port

holes, holes everywhere

I think it's reasonable to believe at this point that there will be multiple "Steam Boxes", and by that I mean smaller (not always this small) computers (PC or Linux) marketed specially towards having Steam on your HD TV, without building or buying the standard "powerful PC".

If this seems underwhelming, there's probably several more to choose from. My money's on Steam revealing "THE" big one at E3.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Valve has been developing their games with high scalability in mind for quite a while now. Why is this a surprise?

We haven't seen their 'next-gen' stuff so why would my expectations be calibrated like so? For all I knew they would be taking a big jump up on median spec in the future, pivoting on much more powerful console hw...But maybe not. Bear in mind, as a steam box, this wont be expected to merely offer a 'everything at low' experience. Their games will have to be pretty good on it.

Maybe this isn't meant as a PC or console competitor, maybe they're going to create a sub brand for steam, for very cheap, and relatively low spec games and apps, sort of their 'xbla'. Like the rumoured Xbox set top box or Apple TV. Maybe it's targeting the 'app' market. But if that's the case, it doesn't make sense for gabe to be talking about unifying the PC and living room (it wouldn't be a unified platform, cutting both ways at least), and this type of box would be way overkill in terms of price for that kind of market. The app-driven set top boxes are likely to be cheap, cheaper than full-fat consoles.

We haven't seen their 'next-gen' stuff so why would my expectations be calibrated like so? For all I knew they would be taking a big jump up on median spec in the future, pivoting on much more powerful console hw...But maybe not. Bear in mind, as a steam box, this wont be expected to merely offer a 'everything at low' experience. Their games will have to be pretty good on it.

Well, you don't know how powerful next-gen consoles will be :)

I doubt the Piston will play anything above Medium anyway, this isn't meant to be hooked up on a PC but a TV.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I doubt it tbh. All depends on the pricing of course of this mini-PC but I'm primarily using the Ouya for XBMC which for a $100 with Android gaming, is not bad at all.

doesnt project shield kill both ouya and steam box? ouya is dedicated to JUST android gaming and steambox has no access to android market but does have steam support BUT its linux based steam.

only downer i see with shield is you need a pc at home that has a kepler tech.

VALIS

G860 CPU
H77 MOBO
8GB RAM
Source 210 CASE
HD6870/GTX560 GPU
VP450 PSU
64GB SSD/ $70 HDD
$20 DVD Burner

Exactly $500

I just priced all these components at Newegg. $675 with the 560 and $630 with the 6870, and that's with one hard drive. "Exactly" nothing.

Let's speculate!

- If it is the Steambox

Dead on arrival for core gamers, at least in terms of next-gen competition. Assuming that the specs mentioned for the X7A are close to the Steambox specs, this system won't have the necessary horsepower to handle next-gen games, or even current PC games on high settings. The only way for it to compete would be if it could do a Voltron, ie connect a separate GPU module to the main module. But then what would be the price? If you are going for a box that will compete with next-gen consoles, why would you limit yourself to so low TDP? If you're not going to compete, what's the point? Highly confusing.

-If it isn't the Steambox

Then what the hell is it and why did Valve invest in this company? Is this supposed to compete against Microsoft's rumored set-top box? Do they want patents or other technical know-how? Is it just a random Valve investment because they think the project is cool? So weird.

So yeah, insert idunnolol.gif here :)

Bumhead

Banned
So it's a $500 linux box that won't play 99% of the games on steam...

why would anybody buy this?

You're saying that on the assumption that the current Steam Linux library is all that will ever be supported.

We know even THQ have been working at converting their existing library to Linux. If they have, then I don't think it's a stretch to imagine other publishers and developers have been working at getting their games Linux ready ahead of Valve doing this.

Top Bottom