• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces DotA 2

TUSR

Banned
arotator said:
Fair enough, it was the principle of the matter, not the amount of money they charged. Your second paragraph is definitely worth taking into consideration.

I was being loose when I said I hadn't played in over a year. The last time I invested much time in HoN was Christmas break 2009. That isn't quite a year ago (but it wasn't 2010 either). I did play a bit right before the beta ended to see if it was worth buying, but not much. The point still stands, aside from the network infrastructure and some prettier character models, that game is more Dota than it is something different. That mattered more to me than it did to you.
The whole point was for it to be a DotA that isn't restricted by the WC3 engine.

arotator said:
Fair enough, it was the principle of the matter, not the amount of money they charged. Your second paragraph is definitely worth taking into consideration.

I was being loose when I said I hadn't played in over a year. The last time I invested much time in HoN was Christmas break 2009. That isn't quite a year ago (but it wasn't 2010 either). I did play a bit right before the beta ended to see if it was worth buying, but not much. The point still stands, aside from the network infrastructure and some prettier character models, that game is more Dota than it is something different. That mattered more to me than it did to you.

Thats a fair point but i think your either missing or ignoring the obvious.

Squire Felix said:
The whole point was for it to be a DotA that isn't restricted by the WC3 engine.

To which i was beaten by Felix......and piklet stated aswell, they knew what they were doing, they werent making false promises and i think personally they asked a fair price for what they were providing the consumers.

arotator

Neo Member
Pikelet said:
Alright, my last post on the matter:

I knew what i was getting into with Hon, they were giving me exactly what i (and a large chunk of community) wanted and they never made it out to be anything other than what it was. It's fine that you don't like that, i just think you are being too harsh on the game and the people who worked on it.

but whatever, hopefully this game has some innovations because i honestly think that Hon is a good enough 'clone' that we don't need another one.

I didn't come in here with the intention of being unduly harsh. Being critical of something is not the same thing as being condemnatory (as fans of a game would be quick to interpret). I didn't understand - at all - why people would feel sorry for S2 when S2, from my perspective, should feel fortunate they got a window of opportunity to sell an uninspired product while the community, like yourself and me, desperately craved more and better Dota, and before Icefrog moved on to his next big thing - as was inevitable, there is simply too much money to be made from this. I enjoyed HoN while I played it for numerous months. I quit playing Dota because of it. They just didn't do enough to keep me around, I thought the game lacked a soul.

arotator

Neo Member
Squire Felix said:

And in so doing they took numerous bits of content (the majority of that content) from Dota to HoN. They did this rather than coming up with new content themselves. Yes, they added new content to the game. I was never disputing that. What they added paled in comparison to what they "borrowed."

If they had launched the game with 12 (unique) heroes and 20 (unique) items the entire thing would have sat better with me. Instead the entire thing was, as you said, predicated upon being Dota in new and better clothing. That was precisely the problem.

On the other hand, S2 could have created and/or maintained Dota since 2003 and re-released it as HoN - I'd be hunky dory with that too.

I'm gonna stop elaborating. My position is so clear and stated numerous times as to be utterly redundant at this point. I'm done trying to explain it.

TUSR

Banned
arotator said:
And in so doing they took numerous bits of content (the majority of that content) from Dota to HoN. They did this rather than coming up with new content themselves. Yes, they added new content to the game. I was never disputing that. What they added paled in comparison to what they "borrowed."

If they had launched the game with 12 (unique) heroes and 20 (unique) items the entire thing would have sat better with me. Instead the entire thing was, as you said, predicated upon being Dota in new and better clothing. That was precisely the problem.

On the other hand, they could have created and/or maintained Dota since 2003 and re-released it too - I'd be hunky dory with that too.

I'm gonna stop elaborating. My position is so clear and stated numerous times as to be utterly redundant at this point. I'm done trying to explain it.
So you care about the % content that the developers added compared to what they were ALLOWED to take?

[sarcasm]
Because you know, they took the whole WC3 engine to use too, and they didn't make their own engine. And running their servers is completely free too.
[/sarcasm]

You seem like you don't actually play games, and you said yourself you haven't logged in in 9 months, because 30$ is too steep for a better project.

Twig

Banned
Wow, Jesus Christ, man. His opinion isn't offensive at all. The fuck is wrong with you that you can't understand why it doesn't sit right with him? Calm the fuck down.

TUSR

Banned
Twig said:
Wow, Jesus Christ, man. His opinion isn't offensive at all. The fuck is wrong with you that you can't understand why it doesn't sit right with him? Calm the fuck down.
He hasn't played the game in 9 months, his opinion is invalid.

arotator

Neo Member
Squire Felix said:
So you care about the % content that the developers added compared to what they were ALLOWED to take? But not the end of the game, and it makes you not enjoy it a lot. You seem like a stuck up elitist who doesn't actually play games.

No, I care about how much of their creative energies were expended at creating something unique (and their own) rather than rehashing someone else's ideas and profiting from it.

Your buddy writes an A+ paper. You take the paper, preserve the argument in its entirety (the body of the paper), change the intro, conclusion, and some of the transitional sentences. Your buddy gave you permission to claim that paper as your own. How does your professor react when he finds out? The same way I reacted when S2 released HoN.

And I wish I didn't play games, I sure as hell would get a lot more work done!

Twig

Banned
Squire Felix said:
Realistic.

No need to get so mad.
Show me where I'm mad. I dare you! I'll give you a cookie - I will actually bake an entire batch and come meet you in person with a bag of chocolate chip cookies - if you can find a single post where I express anger in this thread.

TUSR

Banned
Twig said:
Show me where I'm mad. I dare you! I'll give you a cookie - I will actually bake an entire batch and come meet you in person with a bag of chocolate chip cookies - if you can find a single post where I express anger in this thread.
Two fucks in one sentence and a motherfucker in another.

You're either mad or have a very simple vocabulary and need to swear to express yourself.

Twig

Banned
Squire Felix said:
Two fucks in one sentence and a motherfucker in another.

You're either mad or have a very simple vocabulary and need to swear to express yourself.
Ooh, somebody's touchy about swearing. :3

Well, now that I've established you as both an ignorant AND a judgmental motherfucker, my work here is done. Toodles!

TUSR

Banned
Twig said:
Ooh, somebody's touchy about swearing. :3

Well, now that I've established you as both an ignorant AND a judgmental motherfucker, my work here is done. Toodles!
And nothing of value was lost.

But really, the game is nothing like it was 9 months ago. It judgemental to not like a game based on where the content come from, even the "unoriginal" content they were allowed to take for their game.

Twig

Banned
mjemirzian said:
Some serious business going down here.
Yeah, some people get really defensive when other people's opinions don't mesh with their own. Elitism at its finest. C'est la vie.

Luckily, Valve products never suffer from this flaw, so Dota 2 should be fi--

Oh, yeah, Counter-Strike. Damn.

...At least the art is pretty.

TUSR

Banned
Twig said:
Yeah, some people get really defensive when other people's opinions don't mesh with their own. Elitism at its finest. C'est la vie.

Luckily, Valve products never suffer from this flaw, so Dota 2 should be fi--

Oh, yeah, Counter-Strike. Damn.

...At least the art is pretty.
I dislike the iPhone because all the ideas (patents) used in it were not all created by Apple.

I dislike HoN because all the ideas used in it were not all created by S2 Gaming.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
PasteyMF said:
Indeed. The topic of DotA always brings out the best in everyone. :)

Even threads talking about a DotA game that isn't even out brings out the rage, I love it. Psyched for this, to hold myself over I decided to jump into HoN and I really like it for the reconnection features and the higher level of play compared to public dota.

arotator

Neo Member
mjemirzian said:
Some serious business going down here.

This business is sooo serious I'm falling asleep in my computer chair. I think its time to go to bed and stop worry about the next affront against my intelligence concerning the merits/demerits of HoN. Before tonight I never realized how much I hated, HATE HATE HATE HoN and S2.

I fear that tomorrow I will begin writing my manifesto: I now have it on good authority that S2 is run by the descendants of Hitler, that Jeffery Dahmer's son is the mastermind behind HoN, and Britney Spears is trying to turn the country into mindless freaks through her HoN doppelganger, Valkyrie.

I'm now in the process of compiling more - and more damning - evidence.

TUSR

Banned
arotator said:
This business is sooo serious I'm falling asleep in my computer chair. I think its time to go to bed and stop worry about the next affront against my intelligence concerning the merits/demerits of HoN. Before tonight I never realized how much I hated, HATE HATE HATE HoN and S2.

I fear that tomorrow I will begin writing my manifesto: I now have it on good authority that S2 is run by the descendants of Hitler, that Jeffery Dahmer's son is the mastermind behind HoN, and Britney Spears is trying to turn the country into mindless through her HoN doppelganger, Valkyrie.

I'm now in the process of compiling more - and more damning - evidence.
Coming from someone who only played beta and hasn't played for 9 months, your intelligence isn't backed by a valid opinion.

Or maybe someone with a bad KD

arotator

Neo Member
Squire Felix said:
I dislike the iPhone because all the ideas (patents) used in it were not all created by Apple.

I dislike HoN because all the ideas used in it were not all created by S2 Gaming.

Your analogies make me sad. A better one would be: the Zune is an uninspiried piece of shit because its just trying to cash in on the Ipod's success. That sounds more apropo doesn't it? (Did you buy a Zune?)

TUSR

Banned
arotator said:
Your analogies make me sad. A better one would be: the Zune is an uninspiried piece of shit because its just trying to cash in on the Ipod's success. That sounds more apropo doesn't it? (Did you buy a Zune?)
I was making a bad analogy, since the only things infront of me is my laptop and iPhone.

Analogy isn't my opinion.

arotator

Neo Member
Squire Felix said:
Coming from someone who only played beta and hasn't played for 9 months, your intelligence isn't backed by a valid opinion.

Or maybe someone with a bad KD

Eww, snipes at my lack of gaming skill. What's next, gonna call me a noob?

For what its worth, I just looked at the HoN website, which, coincidentally, happens to be a carbon copy of the dota-allstars site (humm, how'd that happen?), and there have been 8 heroes made since I stopped playing. That right there is veritable plethora of content! Surely that negates any and all of my opinions, as I am just uniformed and completely out of the loop when it comes to all the changes (I mean, just look at them, 8!!!) they've made to the game. Shit, some of those might not even be Dota transfers! (Though, unfortunately, I have my doubts about Gladiator).

TUSR

Banned
arotator said:
Eww, snipes at my lack of gaming skill. What's next, gonna call me a noob?

For what its worth, I just looked at the HoN website, which, coincidentally, happens to be a carbon copy of the dota-allstars site (humm, how'd that happen?), and there have been 8 heroes made since I stopped playing. That right there is veritable plethora of content! Surely that negates any and all of my opinions, as I am just uniformed and completely out of the loop when it comes to all the changes (I mean, just look at them, 8!!!) they've made to the game. Shit, some of those might not even be Dota transfers! (Though, unfortunately, I have my doubts about Gladiator).
Gladiator is a copy of some hero from DotA I think.

From the start if you said you hated HoN because of the community. I would have agreed with you because my god... the forums there are a cesspool

arotator

Neo Member
Squire Felix said:
I was making a bad analogy, since the only things infront of me is my laptop and iPhone.

Analogy isn't my opinion.

Methinks you should go play more HoN rather than waste your time arguing with some ignoramus like myself about how awesome it is. Clearly there is no hope for me. I beg you, save yourself! Let the calming, salvific noises of HoN wash over you as you pwn noobs and berate them as feeders. Do this for all of us, so we might all be redeemed!

TUSR

Banned
arotator said:
Methinks you should go play more HoN rather than waste your time arguing with some ignoramus like myself about how awesome it is. Clearly there is no hope for me. I beg you, save yourself! Let the calming, salvific noises of HoN wash over you as you pwn noobs and berate them as feeders. Do this for all of us, so we might all be redeemed!
Damage control.

arotator

Neo Member
Squire Felix said:
Damage control.

For what? Your ad hominems and 4th grade antics? Your (apparent) complete inability to digest and apprehend coherent response and a set of concerns in opposition to your own? For your uncanny ability to ignore everything relevant that was stated prior to your incredibly insightful initial response? And now this oh so special back forth we're having -- I'm afraid I have to go to sleep.

Meeru

Banned
Squire Felix said:

You do realize Icefrog partnered with S2 Gaming to make this game? And then he pretty much left after getting an invite from Valve.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Squire Felix said:

Ridiculous.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I cant wait for Fart Cops.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Instro said:
We can only hope its bundled with Portal 2 and Dota 2.

I just hope it doesn't get censored in Australia :<.

sorry to bump this thread but im an active DotA player and i just found some leaked info about the game. Seems like Valve is planing a full showing of the game at gamescom in august (thank god im attending ^^). I think some people are interested in seeing how Valve handles the game. If those "leaked" informations are true i would be very happy. Its a pretty long read. I just quote some interesting stuff

Valve is doing a lot of creative things with it. They have "classic" mode that is 1 for 1 true to WC3 DotA and a ton of new modes for play as well.

Classic Mode: None of the changes, 100% WC3 Dota
Normal Mode: Orb updates, bug fixes, etc
Easy Mode: No EXP loss from deny, no gold loss on death, etc
All Random All Mid: I give you 1 guess.
Fortress Mode: 1 team is attacking while the other defends, defending team can buy traps, attacking team can buy creeps.
Arena Mode: FFA or teamed death match
Wild Mode: Random heroes with random skills.
Free Mode: No cool downs with no mana cost on skills.
Commander Mode: When you die you are changed into another hero with the same items and same level. The first side to run out of heroes or to lose their base loses.

Really they have done wonderful job porting DotA play over.
The UI aids in last hitting (you can turn it off) where things that you can kill with a melee attack glow a little, Items are pure copies of the DotA items but they reworked the orb system. Also the shop is crazy well designed.

A lot of the TF2 and Portal VAs are doing Dota 2 work.

Also our NDA is dated to be lifted the same day as Gamescon.
They are playing to do a huge event with a playable Demo there.
Rumor is public beta starting then too.

Here you go for the full thing http://www.gamersbook.com/scene/news/additional-dota-2-leaks-surfaced-today/

Dina

RaGMasTeR90 said:
sorry to bump this thread but im an active DotA player and i just found some leaked info about the game. Seems like Valve is planing a full showing of the game at gamescom in august (thank god im attending ^^). I think some people are interested in seeing how Valve handles the game. If those "leaked" informations are true i would be very happy. Its a pretty long read. I just quote some interesting stuff

Here you go for the full thing http://www.gamersbook.com/scene/news/additional-dota-2-leaks-surfaced-today/

Confirmed to be fake on SomethingAwful forums.

Dina

It does seem weird that he doesn't want to incriminate his brother, and then proceeds to give out some pretty precise information.

Top Bottom