• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve reveals specs for prototype Steam Machines.

So for our own first prototype Steam Machine ( the one we're shipping to 300 Steam users ), we've chosen to build something special. The prototype machine is a high-end...

The final retail version will be borked, confirmed.

apana

If Valve can offer powerful PCs for significantly cheaper prices than what is being offered now then that is a real game changer.

Why the flying hell aren't AMD GPUs in it?!? You'd think with Mantle completely obliterating the need for DirectX... AND with the AMD GPUs in all the next gen consoles, that AMD would be the perfect fit for SteamOS and SteamBox.

Valve clearly have not thought this through very well.

Serandur

Why the flying hell aren't AMD GPUs in it?!? You'd think with Mantle completely obliterating the need for DirectX... AND with the AMD GPUs in all the next gen consoles, that AMD would be the perfect fit for SteamOS and SteamBox.

Someone else told me AMD's Linux drivers are crap. That might explain why. Plus who knows, Nvidia might have their own technology to counter Mantle.

I don't think there is much overlap between the group of people who don't want to build a PC and the group who doesn't mind spending $1000 for gaming hardware.

Right, because there isn't actually any good option available for the people who might otherwise be interested. I work in technology, and I built my new system (which ran me about $1500 total) but I didn't really want to, and even with how easy it's gotten these days it was still much more of a pain than I wanted it to be. I don't want to pay giant margins for systems with chintzy cases and preloaded crap, but if I could get a well-thought-out gaming machine at a decent price, that's mass-produced so I can feel safe about the hardware interactions and I know a lot of devs are going to test on it or something like it, I would definitely do that next time.

My point is that they priced themselves out of the console market.

Because they're not aiming for the console market.

VillageBC

So for our own first prototype Steam Machine ( the one we're shipping to 300 Steam users ), we've chosen to build something special.

This makes me think these 'prototype' machines aren't really the boxes we are going to see at retail.

I'm still confused how this works.

Valve makes money by selling people games on Steam.

Steam is getting more and more popular, but PCs are getting squeezed more and more by other markets and by strategic incoherence on the part of Windows.

Valve's goal is to make sure Steam is able to keep getting more popular even as PCs (in a vacuum) decline.

One way to do this is to make Steam compatible with other computer OSes that already exist; that's why Valve created Steamplay and released Mac/Linux clients.

Another way to do this is to create their own gaming-oriented OS and encourage more and more ports to it; that's why Valve created SteamOS and is pushing for Linux ports from major developers.

Another way to do this is to make it easier to play games on the couch/TV so people don't feel compelled to sit at their desk when they play PC games; that's why Valve created the Steam Controller and Big Picture mode.

Yet another way to do this is to make it easier to buy PC gaming hardware at a reasonable price without having to know much about computers; that's why Valve created Steam Machines and is working with manufacturers to make them efficient and effective.

The common denominator of all these efforts is that they answer the questions of people who don't already use Steam. If someone says "well I'd get into PC gaming but it's too expensive/obnoxious to build a box," you tell them to buy a Steam Machine. If someone says "lol comfy couch," you hand them a Steam Controller. If someone wants to play indie games on a miniature HTPC streaming box, you point them to SteamOS. And so on.

Nzyme32

Well, the goal is to get the early adopters to evangelise the product. Basically spread the word about how amazing Steam Machines are.

I'm the most technically minded person in my family. Whenever someone's wanting to buy a smartphone, or a videogame console, or a tablet, or whatever, I nearly always get an email asking for my opinion on what they should buy.

If Valve convinces me that Steam Machines are genuinely good products, I'll recommend them to others.

Oh, and I forgot to mention in my last post; Valve has two other things they need to do. Court developers, and court hardware manufacturers.

If Valve adopts Google's Android strategy (and they should), they could approach hardware manufacturers and push them to develop hardware while Valve supplies the software. Get people like Samsung, LG, etc. in on the act - companies that don't traditionally have anything to do with the videogame market. There's a lot of potential here.

I think you've hit the nail on the head mostly. My only wonder about it going android style is how you can enable manufacturers to differentiate their product. For example, a company that would love to be the centre of the living room, samsung, could make a "galaxy s machine" but if they differentiate through their own interface and bloatware as in android, it would damage the performance gains and return you to the same old pc manufacture shit you see in the windows world. Unless they have a specific app or section closed away from the core interface and system, i'm not clear on how differentiation works other than on a hardware level, such as windows phone.

But yes absolutely right about valve's early adopters.

Gabe said it himself - "The internet is super smart. If you do something that is cool, that's actually worth people's time, then they'll adopt it. If you do something that's not cool and sucks, you can spend as many marketing dollars as you want, [they] just won't."

Well..

For one AMD's drivers are not as good as nvidia's in Linux / OpenGL so they are out of the question, for now.

Secondly you have to realize Valve (probably) wouldn't be aware of Mantle's existence any earlier than you were, so how the hell could they have thought of such a thing?

Thirdly, this is just a prototype. And a Valve prototype at that. There will be many different setups from many different retailers when the time comes.

HariKari

Secondly you have to realize Valve (probably) wouldn't be aware of Mantle's existence any earlier than you were, so how the hell could they have thought of such a thing?

The whole Mantle thing is just trading one master, Microsoft, for another. SteamOS is about getting gaming to more neutral ground, for the sake of progress.

Nzyme32

Im having a lot of trouble figuring out who this is for.

Ask that question again in about 4 years, when the price of an on par steam machine is cheaper than ps4/xboxone could be reduced to to allow sony and microsoft to keep those oh so cushiony profits.

Similarly I imagine for the same price as a ps4/xboxone, a steam machine would be superior, and I'd hope it has a sizeable library of AAA games that console gamers crave

JohnsonUT

Valve makes money by selling people games on Steam.

Steam is getting more and more popular, but PCs are getting squeezed more and more by other markets and by strategic incoherence on the part of Windows.

Valve's goal is to make sure Steam is able to keep getting more popular even as PCs (in a vacuum decline.)

One way to do this is to make Steam compatible with other computer OSes that already exist; that's why Valve created Steamplay and released Mac/Linux clients.

Another way to do this is to create their own gaming-oriented OS and encourage more and more ports to it; that's why Valve created SteamOS and is pushing for Linux ports from major developers.

Another way to do this is to make it easier to play games on the couch/TV so people don't feel compelled to sit at their desk when they play PC games; that's why Valve created the Steam Controller and Big Picture mode.

Yet another way to do this is to make it easier to buy PC gaming hardware at a reasonable price without having to know much about computers; that's why Valve created Steam Machines and is working with manufacturers to make them efficient and effective.

The common denominator of all these efforts is that they answer the questions of people who don't already use Steam. If someone says "well I'd get into PC gaming but it's too expensive/obnoxious to build a box," you tell them to buy a Steam Machine. If someone says "lol comfy couch," you hand them a Steam Controller. If someone wants to play indie games on a miniature HTPC streaming box, you point them to SteamOS. And so on.

This post should be the official gaf response when someone posts that they don't get the steam box or steam os.

From the Steam Universe group thread. Includes specs

ZotgKYt.gif

Quasar

This: Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high
Combined with an i7 and Titan amazes me, frankly.

Especially with a 450w PSU.

I'm pretty surprised they would include such high end components in this, I figured it would be all mid to low end stuff to see how SteamOS/Linux Games run on low end hardware.

Now I look forward to the whining from folks who get a i3 prototype knowing they could have got a i7/Titan one.

Fantasmo

If I have to read "I don't know who this is made for one more time, I'm going to lose it.

Where do you people live that everyone
a) builds PCs
b) researches and keeps up on parts
c) wants the headache of building/installing/updating a PC

Hell if it wasn't for Hazaro and MKenyon, a good portion of you either wouldn't be interested in PC gaming or would be scratching your head forever. And they're like super duper pros at this stuff.

I've been building PC's since 1988 and even I was lost because my last custom build was in 2004.
How do you think it is for the average joe who has like one game on Steam running off an old laptop?

EGM1966

So Valve are testing multiple box configurations - interesting, looks like they really are considering a broad range of appeal from entry level to enthusiast.

Very interested to see pricing. I'm wondering if they will take a loss to make price compelling and look to make it back on SW in similar vein to consoles to aim to sell at cost/small margin and trust to different cost tiers to give enough appeal or some mix of the two?

This whole play is starting to look very, very interesting.

twofold

I think you've hit the nail on the head mostly. My only wonder about it going android style is how you can enable manufacturers to differentiate their product. For example, a company that would love to be the centre of the living room, samsung, could make a "galaxy s machine" but if they differentiate through their own interface and bloatware as in android, it would damage the performance gains and return you to the same old pc manufacture shit you see in the windows world. Unless they have a specific app or section closed away from the core interface and system, i'm not clear on how differentiation works other than on a hardware level, such as windows phone.

But yes absolutely right about valve's early adopters.

Gabe said it himself - "The internet is super smart. If you do something that is cool, that's actually worth people's time, then they'll adopt it. If you do something that's not cool and sucks, you can spend as many marketing dollars as you want, [they] just won't."

That's my big worry, too. Touchwiz on a Steam Machine. Eurgh. I can't think of many things worse than that. I think Valve is smart enough to have learned from Google's mistakes, though. I'm sure they'll have a solution to that problem (or at least, I hope so..).

And that's a really great quote. I hadn't seen it before. Very insightful.

HariKari

It just seems like making PC gaming even more a Valve monopoly.

SteamOS is fundamentally open. It's an initiative to get more gaming on Linux. No one can have a monopoly over Linux. There's nothing stopping EA from creating their own OriginOS, for example, and reaping a lot of the benefit from what Valve is throwing their weight behind.

It's 100% about getting away from a spiraling, desperate Microsoft.

Lasdrub

If Valve sold the computers for cheaper than you could buy them at Newegg or whatever, wouldn't people just sell the parts separately for money? I can't imagine getting a PC pre-built for cheaper than somebody could build. I guess this could work if for some reason those parts only worked in Steam boxes. I'm interested to see how this all works in the final product since this is a prototype with off-the-shelf parts.

On the other hand, if they are willing to keep low or null profit margins and to offer pre-built systems at a *fair* price (instead of 50% overpriced as most pre-built rigs are these days) they could already have a winner in their hands.

This is an important point. As it is now, prebuilt systems (putting the unique Apple situation here) are a huge waste of money because of the size of the margin; you're not getting any real custom engineering to improve size, power consumption, noise, or reliability, but you're still paying a huge markup on the parts. Even for people whose time is valuable, putting together your own PC is often more reasonable than paying that kind of markup.

The cross-promotional arrangements with Steam could help change that. An OEM that can pick out three models for a year and mass-produce them, and then rely on the enormous Steam marketplace to drive sales by pushing users directly to their storefront, could make good margins and do some volume while still pricing reasonably.

How, exactly? You can install Windows on a Steam Machine. If Ubi and EA put out Linux clients you can put Origin and uPlay on and run them in SteamOS. You can certainly run SteamOS, install DRM-free games from the Humble store, and enjoy the benefits of improved Linux drivers without even opening up Steam.

wildfire

Banned
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB DDR5 (GPU)
Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD

This stands out the most to me about what we can expect from the Steam OS interms of performance. I strongly suspect now that Valve specifically has RAM Drive software in their OS so you can use your RAM as your storage device. That's why the RAM is so high and the SSD storage is so low.

I've been debating the merits of this setup myself for years but RAM is volatile so it can be lost easily during even a brown out. RAM that have built in capacitors so your data is stored while your machine is off cost like 1k per gig.

This: Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high
Combined with an i7 and Titan amazes me, frankly.

Ha I didn't notice that.

This Chassis is going to be extremely sexy. I'm going to be jealous of whoever gets their hands on this relatively tiny box if this is using an ATX motherboard.

I find it hard to believe the Titan edition will run on that PSU.

If it is PSU made by Enermax or Seasonic don't be surprised if this is a PSU that can punch above its labelled wattage rating.

This machine is using only a single GPU which are very power efficient compared to several years ago. Also the GPUs mentioned except for the 600 series use tech that allows the GPU to be throttled to prevent it from going over a temperature threshold and instead of just flat out crashing.

If Valve sold the computers for cheaper than you could buy them at Newegg or whatever, wouldn't people just sell the parts separately for money? I can't imagine getting a PC pre-built for cheaper than somebody could build one themselves. I guess this could work if for some reason those parts only worked in Steam boxes.

In the hypothetical event that the hardware does end up cheaper in a steam machine, my guess is itd be tough for a person to sell a used titan for 50 bucks cheaper than retail. Plus then youd have the rest of the hardware and the case to sell off. So I wouldn't think that would be too big a problem.

Hope they can make it compatible with X1 and ps4 controller. Seems really interesting at least valve seems to take specs serious. But these are the high end machines pretty cool from valve to give them away.

Mantle is open source....... Just like SteamOS.

Open Standard != Open Source

ronito

With those specs and the inevitable price it looks like valve is looking just sell deeper into their existing base.

Not really surprising

VillageBC

Nothing is preventing anyone else from competing with Valve on Steam though. On Windows or even SteamOS. The problem is, nobody is and the attempts by GFWL, Origin and Impulse have been pretty pathetic. Impulse was doing alright I think until bought by Gamestop, at least I was using them.

I wonder how much EA moving strictly to releasing Origin is hurting them, or if at all. I do not buy Origin games, or any game that requires a publisher specific account. But that is more to do with trust, I trust Steam/Valve and not them.

Lasdrub

In the hypothetical event that the hardware does end up cheaper in a steam machine, my guess is itd be tough for a person to sell a used titan for 50 bucks cheaper than retail. Plus then youd have the rest of the hardware and the case to sell off. So I wouldn't think that would be too big a problem.

That makes sense. It's an exciting prospect. At the very least they can sell their pre-built machines cheaper than anybody else because they will make money on the software like console makers.

HariKari

Mantle is open source....... Just like SteamOS.

Mantle is an API beholden to the interests of a corporation. It's proprietary right now, and AMD is already wielding it like a weapon against Nvidia. OpenGL is just... open. It wouldn't make sense to place Valve's eggs in a basket with AMD at this point. Valve wants gaming to be on neutral ground, because only there will it be (more) free to prosper independent of guiding influences.

This Chassis is going to be extremely sexy. I'm going to be jealous of whoever gets their hands on this relatively tiny box if this is using an ATX motherboard.

No way, has to be a Mini ITX board at that size. All you need is a PCI x 16 slot, anything more is just wasted space.

HariKari

With those specs and the inevitable price it looks like valve is looking just sell deeper into their existing base.

Not really surprising

Titan is still just Kepler, and it already smokes the consoles. So Nvidia will move forward with Maxwell for the PC enthusiasts while it watches the cost of manufacturing Kepler drop. A Titan or equivalent will be half as expensive to manufacture soon enough. The beauty here is that Steam Machines can reap the benefits of cost/power dropping while the consoles are stuck at a fixed point.

wildfire

Banned
I think it's a mistake focusing on multiple configurations, doubly so ultra enthusiast configurations that will do nothing but resurrect the LOL $3000 PC Required meme. This "Living Room" segment they're supposedly targeting is not interested in wading through the techno jargon of CPU/GPU hierarchies. They're also not going to be buying $3000 boxes, or even $1000-$1500 boxes. It would have been much better to put all their effort and focus into a singular bang-for-buck spec and worked on selling it as cheap as possible, side-stepping all the middle-man mark ups with the value to OEM's coming from volume and branding (similar, but not identical to what Google does with the Nexus line). Ideally this singular box would be branded with the year (e.g. Steam Machine 2014 Edition) and updated annually. The core components (e.g. GPU, MOBO/CPU) could also be sold as Steam Machine branded upgrades separately at similarly reduced margins.

But this goes completely against the ethos of what it means to be a PC gamer.

What I suspect Valve is trying to do for the customer you are talking about is removing the worry that after downloading or inserting their disc they find out the game doesn't work on their machine or is plagued by bugs.

Steam boxes are going to take away the stability problems that plagues PC gaming, not the ability to spend what you want for the performance you desire.

wildfire

Banned
No way, has to be a Mini ITX board at that size. All you need is a PCI x 16 slot, anything more is just wasted space.

It is definitely not a MiniITX board because the beta machines Valve are working on are upgradeable in how PC users expect to be able to upgrade. That means being able to add multiple graphics cards or PCIE SSDs is a requirement.

At a minimum it is a mATX board but that is doubtful.

I basically have a steam box now but with better ram and more hd space. Just give me a super long hdmi cord and i can game from my room to the tv in the family room.

Damaniel

Banned
You think Valve is paying consumer prices?

For 300 boxes? Absolutely (or near enough to it).

Even the highest volume Steam Machine maker is going to be making systems numbered in the thousands. That's not going to be enough volume to get anything but the slightest discount on components. Sony and Microsoft make their consoles by the millions, which is the kind of volume you have to sell to start to get real, meaningful component discounts.

Unless Valve or one of the Steam Machine makers is willing to take a massive loss to get their systems into people's houses, these ultra small, well-specced systems are going to result in $1500 Steam Boxes, not $500 'everyman' consoles (contrary to popular belief, a GPU and CPU do not alone make a PC, and the specialized mini-chassis that Valve's using is going to result in more expensive power supplies and cooling as well, not to mention the cost of a controller...) Putting a Core i7 and a Titan into such a small enclosure is a feat of engineering, but it's not going to convince console buyers to put a Steam Machine in their living room. Only aggressive pricing can do that.

Top Bottom