• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve taking action against using VPNs to buy games out-of-region (read thread plz)

Nabs

This is an old story and is false for gifting, just think about it Valve could quite as easily disable cross regional gifting if they didn't want it. The support ticket mentions using a VPN and they warned the user according to the steam agreement subscriber they could have banned him for it.

Bingo.

sikkinixx

How are people surprised? Valve's partners probably aren't pleased by it, and Valve is probably losing a bunch of money because of it. This is like PS3 game sharing, I'm surprised it hasn't been cut off already.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is an old story and is false for gifting, just think about it Valve could quite as easily disable cross regional gifting if they didn't want it. The support ticket mentions using a VPN and they warned the user according to the steam agreement subscriber they could have banned him for it.

Yeah, it seems he got done for circumventing his regional store:

In order to prevent further deactivation of your account by our system due to suspected fraud, do not use other accounts to deliberately circumvent regional restrictions or prices of games with the intention to send these to your main account via the gifting system.

Please do not buy games in regions in which there is a price difference to your home country and do not use VPN or proxy software to circumvent these limitations.

sazzy

I don't think most of SteamGAF will surface from choking on Valve's dick long enough to care about this.

Either way, I do find these recent developments quite amusing.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't think most of SteamGAF will surface from choking on Valve's dick long enough to care about this.

Probably because there's no evidence it's widespread. So don't get too excited about seeing more negative Steam news.

FLEABttn

Banned
If you're region locking/blocking/restricting in an age where I can send zeroes and ones to the other side of the world in an insignificant amount of time, then you're doing it wrong.

Which is why in an industry where scarcity is quickly losing relevance, we are see a shift away from a packaged goods model and a shift towards a services model.

Companies adjust to new technology trends and globalization (perhaps at their own pace), but there will always be unforeseen consequences.

What the fuck Valve? I though you were with the good guys

As an entity in the entertainment business designed to extract as much money out of it's consumers, it is.

A company not always giving you what you want doesn't necessarily make them a bad guy.

glaurung

OK, this really isn't about gifting as such.

Even very popular and trustworthy sites like gamekeysnowdotcom (an affiliate of the gamepointsnow.com) actually sells Russian Steam keys. They also counsel the users how to activate the keys via VPN.

That makes more sense, but I still call humbug on Valve's part.

There is something seriously wrong when one person 50 bucks is not worth as much for the same freaking product as another persons 50 bucks. Afaik Valve doesn't pay conversion fees, we do.

Bu...bu...but.... You should be paying more!

WHY?

Maybe, but what does that have to do with deserved backlash against a DD service that has been showing its true colors?

They're only "true colors" if you deliberately put it on a pedestal in the first place. Obviously the actual practice is not defensible.

Dead Man

You say that like it justifies preventing consumers from accessing the benefits of a global economy.

2MF

They're only "true colors" if you deliberately put it on a pedestal in the first place.

Not really, since some of their practices are actually worse than other DD services. In particular the one about holding your games hostage to your acceptance of any new ToS they come up with.

You say that like it justifies preventing consumers from accessing the benefits of a global economy.

Well, considering that currency fluctuates like stocks do, it makes sense. Now the day when we have one global currency without fluctuation, then this will not make sense.

megalowho

The response from Valve accuses the user of using multiple accounts and VPN to buy and send himself cheaper games, not gifting. Unless this starts popping up for folks playing by the rules I don't think it's an issue. Would be pretty messed up if so.

2San

Actually this is one of those things I understand.

I have troubles with the whole subscription thing(which is just loophole to avoid ownership laws, I'm still hoping the EU will take action against this).

This however makes perfect sense. You are effectively circumventing any import/export tax.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Or you know, you could just wait the 3 months and get it for the same price as those in Russia and other emergent markets with high piracy and lower income. *Shrug*

Dead Man

Or you know, you could just wait the 3 months and get it for the same price as those in Russia and other emergent markets with high piracy and lower income. *Shrug*

Yeah, gosh, why didn't I think of that...

I2vry.png

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Is there some mandate on this regional pricing or is it all on the pubs? I wouldn't be so quick to point the finger at Valve as much as the entities which put their games on that platform. Much like PSN/XB.

Detox

Prices are set by the publishers and they probably do not want a global store for all regions, the only thing valve can do is allow cross regional gifting. If you want games at UK or US prices there are plenty of gaffers willing to help.

Rapstah

I can totally understand the complaints and it is shitty if this is true, but do we actually have anything that says this is actually happening? The guy in the article is being warned because he used VPNs. Valve has no way to distinguish between my American friends sending me birthday gifts and them sending me gifts for money outside of Valve's control. Russian games are typically locked into Russian to combat those kinds of trades.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So apparently it's just an old reddit bullshit then?

Also a lot of recently released Steamworks games are still cheap when bought locally here lol

Card Boy

Banned

I wish the shoe was on the other foot and US Gaf got charged $90 USD for games then we will see them care.

Valve is becoming a more terrible company by the day and Gabe Newell being the face of the company doesn't mean they are gods. Valve is disgraceful and it's shit like this why I am always angry about Steam.

Pretty sure that blood is on Publishers and not Valve.

Last time I checked Valve is the one locking down accounts and stoping gifting, not publishers.

Dead Man

Prices are set by the publishers and they probably do not want a global store for all regions, the only thing valve can do is allow cross regional gifting. If you want games at UK or US prices there are plenty of gaffers willing to help.
Indeed. It is not all Valves fault, but it is a genuine arse fucking.
They have the hottest chicks and best accents so it evens out in the end.
This is true :)
Pretty sure that blood is on Publishers and not Valve.

Doesn't change the fact that many people can't 'just wait' as you so glibly suggested.

Top Bottom