• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve taking action against using VPNs to buy games out-of-region (read thread plz)

SLV

Fucking hell, they have removed paypal as a way to pay >.<, it will most definetly make it a lot harder for me to get steam games that for whatever reason are not available in my region :/

EDIT: i jumped the gun, seams to be a technical issue, i atleast hope so ...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Fucking hell, they have removed paypal as a way to pay >.<, it will most definetly make it a lot harder for me to get steam games that for whatever reason are not available in my region :/

I thought I could still use PP as of sometime last week? Not that I rely on that.

Orayn

Hey guys, let's keep taking the unconfirmed reddit story at face value because it makes Valve look bad. Okay? Okay.

Jintor

Prices are set by the publishers and they probably do not want a global store for all regions, the only thing valve can do is allow cross regional gifting. If you want games at UK or US prices there are plenty of gaffers willing to help.

Unless they crack down on it. Hopefully they won't and I don't think they will.

Revenant

Hey guys, let's keep taking the unconfirmed reddit story at face value because it makes Valve look bad. Okay? Okay.

Hey man its reddit. They're always a valid source.

Cmon people actually read the damn thread instead of pissing yourself at the first chance to get outraged.

Giran

There is something seriously wrong when one person 50 bucks is not worth as much for the same freaking product as another persons 50 bucks

Seriously. We're talking about data here so absolutely nothing warrants different prices. What's going on is essentially negative discrimination.

smh, Valve

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Last time I checked Valve is the one locking down accounts and stoping gifting, not publishers.
Well if the information posted in here is correct. For using a VPN, buying games from other regions, then gifting them to yourself. But never know, could always be from a random Reddit User too.

Doesn't change the fact that many people can't 'just wait' as you so glibly suggested.

Well I did also state Russia in the very same post. As cruel as its to say, Russia to Aussie is the entire world. So forgive me for that Point of View.

Detox

I wish the shoe was on the other foot and US Gaf got charged $90 USD for games then we will see them care.

Valve is becoming a more terrible company by the day and Gabe Newell being the face of the company doesn't mean they are gods. Valve is disgraceful and it's shit like this why I am always angry about Steam.

Last time I checked Valve is the one locking down accounts and stoping gifting, not publishers.
No need to direct vitriol at Valve, I just checked all the valve published games which they can set prices for are the same in US and AUS dollars (unless steamerprices.com is lying). The only other control over prices valve has is with indie games as they usually suggest the prices to the dev granted I only checked QUBE and Super Meat Boy but they also have the same AUS and US price. So the prices Valve have control over are the same in AUS and US they can't tell the big publishers what to price their games.

What if they add a tax for those countries when gifting?

and yeah, those guys are exploiters, so no sympathy here. They put the games "cheap" (the distributors) so they can actually buy it at a non-gouging price. However, that turns many of them into third party sellers making a cut of every game.

Consumer rights and all that. But I guess I can see why the ToS included the "no class action" thing.

HoosTrax

Indeed. Can we see a screencap of HL2 or TF2 on the Aussie Steam store?
TF2 has been a free game for some time now. It's not for sale.

68508271.png

EDIT: i jumped the gun, seams to be a technical issue, i atleast hope so ...

What the fuck, just tried it now, i can´t select paypal as a paying method

Dead Man

Well I did also state Russia in the very same post. As cruel as its to say, Russia to Aussie is the entire world. So forgive me for that Point of View.

Nah, don't think I'll forgive ignorant statements like that, back up with another one like this.

ironcreed

Banned
Not that I have any friends over seas to send gifts to, but what a shitty move all the same. I just started enjoying Steam as well, but I am not liking some of the signs I am starting to see.

Dead Man

Indeed. Can we see a screencap of HL2 or TF2 on the Aussie Steam store?

Missed this, and I see it has already been posted. Yeah, Valve is fine at pricing games themselves. I do think they do not not actually give a shit about what pubs do though, they are big enough now to have influence with everyone except EA who are doing their own store.

HoosTrax

Not that I have any friends over seas to send gifts to, but what a shitty move all the same. I just started enjoying Steam as well, but I am not liking some of the signs I am starting to see.
Good job not reading through the entire thread before jumping the gun. Anyways, I've gifted things to aus within the past couple weeks (from the US) and nothing's come of it.

SparkTR

Sigh. Can a mod change the title to better reflect the situation?

well, you have to take into account that instead of having a price that would imply in our EURO/US economy a game costing 200&#8364;/$ instead of 50, they try to give some regions a special treatment. Not only valve, but the publishers of the games. Ultimately they want them to be able to buy them.

However, this turned into smartasses being online "retailers", so they use their reduction to circumvent the wealth countries price selling it cheaper... Some even do it themselves with VPN to avoid this middleman that is actively making money out of selling digital goods by exploiting the fair market. I still think VPN is at least honest in the way it doesnt make a CiS country guy wealthy.

ironcreed

Banned
Good job not reading through the entire thread before jumping the gun. Anyways, I've gifted things to aus within the past couple weeks (from the US) and nothing's come of it.

You are right, I did not read every single post. But if this is indeed false info, then that is reassuring to hear.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Nah, don't think I'll forgive ignorant statements like that, back up with another one like this.

That was actually an apology. I was agreeing that Aussie gets shit compared to most other regions.

Steam has problems, this isn't one of them as long as you stay away from Sites selling keys and VPNs.

Dead Man

That was actually an apology. I was agreeing that Aussie gets shit compared to most other regions.

Steam has problems, this isn't one of them as long as you stay away from Sites selling keys and VPNs.

Well, apologies for misunderstanding then. :)

You read the posts about how this issue is old and has only ever been linked to people buying over VPN?

Hell, I bought max payne 3 when it got region locked just a few hours before for CiS countries with a VPN. Why? stupid yet valid reason. zavvi was offering it for 31&#8364;+movie. I felt the russian price was fair... and I did the VPN thing myself to avoid giving money to this steam altruist mafia (since they give away so many gifts!). Long story short, game was unusable due to region lock. I contacted steam support, exposed my case, got my money refunded and a small warning to not do it again.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah I think the title needs to be updated so we can avoid another hate wankfest. People are looking for any reason they can to do it and I say let's not help them if we can avoid it. This is still an unconfirmed story and even if it is true there's nothing to say they're completely locking down everyone on this.

You read the posts about how this issue is old and has only ever been linked to people buying over VPN?

Yes i did, and still it should not prevent people from buying and gifting even though they are using the globalization benefit that Valve uses. But you do the same thing in many threads. You just throw a passive aggressive, without any contribution to said threads whatsoever.

Detox

Missed this, and I see it has already been posted. Yeah, Valve is fine at pricing games themselves. I do think they do not not actually give a shit about what pubs do though, they are big enough now to have influence with everyone except EA who are doing their own store.
Funnily enough the games you posted are published by Activision and EA who Valve can't really say anything to, besides I'm sure the Aussie retailers are big enough to tell the publishers that they can't be undercut by digital download stores.

Yes i did, and still it should not prevent people from buying and gifting even though they are using the globalization benefit that Valve uses. But you do the same thing in many threads. You just throw a passive aggressive, without any contribution to said threads whatsoever.

So instead of a fair market for everyone it's better to either live in a first world country with a good average income or suck it? Just asking.

The only problem with a fair market strategy that tries to cater every region specifically is that sooner or later, the black market people appear.

SparkTR

I also like how it's coming from a website that advocates purchases though exploitative Russian CD key resellers.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
while being strong-armed into a nefarious license agreement is due cause to be vigilant, sub-wordpress blogs with provocative titles sourcing unverified reddit posts aren't quite going get get me reaching for my shotgun.

as far as i'm concerned, the reply i received from steam support a year and some ago (i was requesting for my account to be "unlocked" as i heard a few people had some luck with it) still gives me carte blanche to gift/recieve whatever i want:

ibfIR0idporjnq.png

Riggs

Banned
According to almost every post in the thread, yes.

Ya well it seemed like some people were not aware, so sorry.

My bad, didn't mean the attitude. We just have a huge number of people refusing to read in this thread.

Sorry me too, I am one of them not reading. Was going through a ton of threads and just popped in to make sure it was a VPN thing. My bad, I need some fugging breakfast!

Patryn

Pardon me if I'm totally wrong on this, but doesn't Germany have stricter censorship than many other countries when it comes to videogames? I know the poster talks about deserving the "uncensored" version of games, but is it legal to purchase those versions in Germany?

If the gifting was a way of getting around a ban, I could see Valve having to crack down on it for legal reasons.

I admit I may be totally off-base and will no doubt be schooled all to hell on this issue.

Top Bottom