• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve taking action against using VPNs to buy games out-of-region (read thread plz)

Jasoneyu

Well that sucks but its understandable.

People have been exploited the hell out of gifting. Cant be nice for Valve since I am sure they would be under pressure from 3rd parties to make it stop.

If they are only clamping down on the hardcore cross Continental gifters and not joe gamer who only does it once and a while I am ok with it I guess.

This is not what they are doing, they are just trying to prevent people with VPN to circumvent their regional store. I am pretty sure if valve wanted to they could prevent gifting to other countries at this moment.

Aren't some people flying off the handle here?
They aren't forbidding cross-region gifting, they're telling VPN self-gifters to fuck off.

Which is fine in my book given how the alternative would be messing emerging markets (see that thread about EA in India).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I will say that EA hasn't clamped down on people's accounts for using a VPN. I used one to buy Sim City 5 and Crysis 3 from the India store.
I'm curious, what address do you use? The one in your CC info? I'm thinking of getting the Operation Flashpoint games, and Red River is locked in my country.

One week before-->Hey let's make void any claim so iffffff just in a remoooooooote case a group of people doesn't like something we do and wanna class-action us to the moon they won't be' able to. But don't worry consumers it's just against those that wanna law-juggle and rob us money in tribunal with non-existing claim!
One week later-->Hey you know that remote case we discussed last week? Shit just got real, we wanna ban guys sending stuff crossregion because they can get stuff cheaper for Their friends... You don't like that? Wellllllllll sucks to be' you, INCIDENTALLY last week you accepted giving up any claim towards joining a class action against us....
deal with it!

Dick move indeed Gaben....

Dynedom

Well if it's VPN abuse, that's a different story. I guess I shouldn't have been lazy and read the article.

Not buying into any more GAF gaming threads until I read attached articles. :mad: Works for every political thread.

web01

Gabe and Valve can go fuck themselves. Not paying $80 - $100 AUD for games because of greedy local publishers. The alternative is to not buy anything at all.

Volcynika

One week before-->Hey let's make void any claim so iffffff just in a remoooooooote case a group of people doesn't like something we do and wanna class-action us to the moon they won't be' able to. But don't worry consumers it's just against those that wanna law-juggle and rob us money in tribunal with non-existing claim!
One week later-->Hey you know that remote case we discussed last week? Shit just got real, we wanna ban guys se ring stuff crossregion because they can get stuff cheaper for Their friends... You don't like that? Wellllllllll sucks to be' you, INCIDENTALLY last week you accepted giving up any claim towards joining a class action against us....
deal with it!

I'm guessing you didn't read the thread.

Or, for easier understanding:

"Today -> I doooooooooooooooooooooon't read the threaaaaaaaaaad at allllllllll"

I'm curious, what address do you use? The one in your CC info? I'm thinking of getting the Operation Flashpoint games, and Red River is locked in my country.

Nope. I used a fake Indian address. This is about a month and half ago I believe. Still in my library.

Gabe and Valve can go fuck themselves. Not paying $80 - $100 AUD for games because of greedy local publishers. The alternative is to not buy anything at all.

Try to read the thread. This isn't about gifting, it's about using a VPN. You can still get a friend from another region to gift you the game.

I'm guessing you didn't read the thread.
Issue remains tbh...

Buy low,sell high it's not a fraud, even if VPN activation is involved, it's vallee market...
Or you're saying that it is? Because if reselling cheaper outofregion key is fraudolent then even buying then for personal use would be' like that for in line of principle us licenses were never intended for the eu...

Chavelo

This thread in general:

qyuKr.gif

Valve fucks up on one thing and suddenly everything they do is EVIIIIL.

gg, Valve. TO ORIGIN!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. I used a fake Indian address. This is about a month and half ago I believe. Still in my library.
I don't know, I'm kinda scared about it. What if I get in trouble with my bank? Won't Valve check that the Steam account address matches the CC billing address? Should I make a new account, buy it as a gift and send it to my main account?

The other option would be making a friend who could buy it for me and sending him the money via Paypal, but I haven't got an account there and never used it before.

I don't know, I'm kinda scared about it. What if I get in trouble with my bank? Won't Valve check that the Steam account address matches the CC billing address? Should I make a new account, buy it as a gift and send it to my main account?

The other option would be making a friend who could buy it for me and sending him the money via Paypal, but I haven't got an account there and never used it before.

Oh, DON'T USE IT ON STEAM. Do not. DO NOT. I used it on Origin.

With Steam, if there is a game you cannot purchase due to region restrictions or price difference, ONLY use a friend to gift it for you. NEVER, EVER use a VPN.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You should never use a VPN to buy things on Steam anyway, because it looks like credit card fraud if a purchase on your card suddenly pops up from halfway across the planet. It's a good way to get your account (Steam or even Visa/Mastercard) locked for a time while stuff gets figured out, for identity theft protection reasons.

if something's cheaper elsewhere, at most try to get an actual person from another region to gift it to you and then paypal them or something.

Chinner

Banned
so gifting is fine but VPN abusing is not? and the source isn't confirmed?

I gotta say, this forced anti-valve movement that's developed this last month is just hilarious.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
^^ Thanks to both, you saved me from a shitload of trouble. Think I'll wait for the game to go into sale and then ask some gentle GAFfer to buy it for me.

so gifting is fine but VPN abusing is not? and the source isn't confirmed?

I gotta say, this forced anti-valve movement that's developed this last month is just hilarious.

last month? Where have you been? Wendi has been the John the Baptist of the Anti-Steam religion that would arise and she has been at work for years.

<3 wendi

Derrick01

Banned
It was a valiant try people but it just wasn't meant to be this time. I guess we'll see you in next week's steam hate thread.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
last month? Where have you been? Wendi has been the John the Baptist of the Anti-Steam religion that would arise and she has been at work for years.

<3 wendi
Yea i have a lot of issues with Steam. Surprisingly this really wasnt one of them.. even before i found out about the VPN stuff.

lol <3 <3

Chinner

Banned
what's this? half life3 has been announced? wow how terrible of valve why rush this product for a quick cash-in?

One week later-->Hey you know that remote case we discussed last week? Shit just got real, we wanna ban guys sending stuff crossregion because they can get stuff cheaper for Their friends... You don't like that? Wellllllllll sucks to be' you, INCIDENTALLY last week you accepted giving up any claim towards joining a class action against us....
deal with it!

You do realize this is a July article? Because that doesn't fit your narrative very well.

Artanisix

Can we like, get an edit in the OP so people don't come in here going LOOOOOOL VALVE GOING DOWNHILL, SEEMS GABE DONT HAVE ENUFF MONEY

Mrbob

Didn't we have this exact thread months ago? Some poeple over reacting to news before knowing the whole story. Valve banning VPN is not a new thing.

Didn't we have this exact thread months ago? Some poeple over reacting to news before knowing the whole story. Valve banning VPN is not a new thing.

We had a similar thread last year in February:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421931

Reddit user makes multiple accounts and uses one on a vpn to gift himself games then get the accounts locked for it. Then everyone assumes that Valve is banning for gifting games internationally.

Drencrom

Guys chill. Sorry that the news turned out to be dubious, I'll assure you that I'm a pretty frequent Steam user who isn't part of some Anti-Steam movement lol

Derrick01

Banned
Guys chill. Sorry that the news turned out to be dubious, I'll assure you that I'm a pretty frequent Steam user who isn't part of some Anti-Steam movement lol

We're not making fun of you. Just the people who are all like "AH GOTCHA NOW VALVE AND GABE! EXPOSING YOUR TRUE COLORS!"

Everybody just chill. Steam will never block cross region gifting. The only way they could would be if they shut down the entire ability to gift games since you cant really see what country people are in when you gift them a game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The hilarious thing is that GAF actually banned discussion of out-of-region CIS/Russia/India VPN purchasing many months ago. EviLore posted a stickies announcement thread about it and everything :p

The Boat

I love Valve, but I'm seeing some things lately that I don't like and make me afraid of what they might turn into over time regardless of these news. Still, no point in overreacting, they're still the bee's knees.

For those worried about not being able to use VPN solutions to buy games at a lower price on Steam, there is another solution that will save you money, that I think is allowed in the TOS.

Buy fewer games. You dont need this many. You really dont.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I love Valve, but I'm seeing some things lately that I don't like and make me afraid of what they might turn into over time.

You mean being late to the party on an EULA change nearly every other company has adopted and clamping down on VPN exploiters? I'm scared too.

Chinner

Banned
you know guys, if you don't mind bending the rules and like cheap games, why don't you just pirate them?

what's that? valve makes you pay for games? THOSE BASTARDS.

The Boat

You mean being late to the party on an EULA change nearly every other company has adopted and clamping down on VPN exploiters? I'm scared too.
Which is why I edited the post, I've been feeling this way before this. In fact, this isn't even an issue to me. I'm not raising a pitchfork or shouting words of doom, but their customer support has always been pretty shitty.

Interfectum

Hilarious raging from some of the resident Steam haters...

Okay now this one is actually evil.

This is fucking bullshit. You can't defend this.

I really like Steam and Valve but really what?

Valve should've never hired that economist. We've heard all the bad news after that.

This is the kind of stuff that happens when one store has an iron grip on an entire market. People brought this upon themselves.

When will people learn that Valve is only after earning money for itself?

This one is much, much worse than agreeing to that ToS change.

Globalisation is a one way street that only the capitalists can walk down.

As Steam gets bigger you have to start questioning who is calling the shots. Valve or Steam's managers?

Nearly every company in every industry that has been affected by globalization pulls this bullshit. The lesson is: Fuck corporations.

It's sad to see Valve going down the same anti-consumer path as everyone else, though.

Random Steam complaints in thread...

Fucking hell, they have removed paypal as a way to pay >.<, it will most definetly make it a lot harder for me to get steam games that for whatever reason are not available in my region :/

EDIT: i jumped the gun, seams to be a technical issue, i atleast hope so ...

hmmm i bought like $20 of games during steam sale while in china, no email yet.

This shit is kinda ghetto.

If this is going by Gabe's philosophy of buy instead of pirate cuz it's easier, then...

Pure, unadulterated entertainment.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
For those worried about not being able to use VPN solutions to buy games at a lower price on Steam, there is another solution that will save you money, that I think is allowed in the TOS.

Infidel!

Oxirane

Is this Valve trying to encourage steam users to make friends? Maybe there will be a badge for gifting a game to a user from a different region.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Okay what are you even TALKING about? The words... they don't make sense in that order.

lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I take it it's this thread that's causing GAF breakdown!

Hilarious raging from some of the resident Steam haters...

Random Steam complaints in thread...

Pure, unadulterated entertainment.

...did you just call me a Steam hater?

Top Bottom