• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is now available on GOG

El Topo

Important question here guys; does this version need the big patch to work or is it just good to go? I've owned this on steam for quite some time but could never get it to work, is the Gog version more up to date?

I assume that as the Steam version it works without a patch (to an extent), but you should get it anyway, given that it fixes a ton of bugs. There's a reason even more than ten years later unofficial patches keep coming out.
If you own the Steam version, I think one of the common ways to get the game to work is to run Steam as Admin (once), when you run the game for the first time. See e.g. here.

This version includes the third party patch. It should be good to go.

Gorger

One of my favorite games of all time.

Being released around the same time as HL2, the game unsurprisingly didn't sell very well and Troika games quickly went under after its release. Over a decade later it still stings when I think about it. Both Arcanum and Bloodlines were fantastic games.

I remember purchasing back in 2004 with my garbage pc setup. But the lore and writing just kept sucking me in despite having 20-30 minute load times between cities. The only reason I stopped was because the game finally crashed on me in chinatown.

Reliving the experience on Steam/Mods/patch a decade later still feels fresh in my mind. Now without the bugs and performance issues that plagued my experience can be fully appreciated the way it waz meant to be. A pity, as this had the potential to be THE rpg if it wasn't released at the state it was back then.

This game is very much deserving of all the praise it gets. Now, I feel tempted entering the World of Darkness once again.

One of the best RPG I have ever played. Truly recommend it.

I plan to play it again as soon as it doesn't feel fresh in my mind. Really hard since these threads make me keep thinking about how great it is.

Card Boy

Banned
Amazing this includes Wesp5's patches. Valve is basically selling a broken copy of the game, it literally does not let you run the game on Steam and is a product not fit for sale.

Pilgrimzero

For new players: be aware that the sewer level later on is pure combat with little blood to find. For a venture it can be even harder. Be sure to bring blood packs or be prepared to use console commands.

Capra

Amazing, fantastic game. Probably one of the best CRPGs ever made, even considering its jank and numerous flaws.

But for the love of Cain, just noclip through the sewers if you're playing for the first time. And then every time after that. It's really one of the worst, longest, most unnecessary mandatory combat segments I can think of in a game and it's the biggest mark against VTMB.

I have still never done a Malkavian playthrough...

WHAT?!

It's legit amazing. Basically its like playing as a character who knows the story already like you do (which is why everyone suggests you do it at as a follow-up playthrough) and you get some fantastic lines of dialogue. You get the most amazing moment fucking with Ming Xiao.

Pilgrimzero

WHAT?!

It's legit amazing. Basically its like playing as a character who knows the story already like you do (which is why everyone suggests you do it at as a follow-up playthrough) and you get some fantastic lines of dialogue. You get the most amazing moment fucking with Ming Xiao.

*sees stop sign*. "No! You stop!"

Bl@de

One question about the game. How does the combat work here? Best describe it with a similar game. Never had a clue how the gameplay of Vampires is. Some quick fachts or comparisons would be nice. No videos though, I'm at work.

Nordicus

One question about the game. How does the combat work here? Best describe it with a similar game. Never had a clue how the gameplay of Vampires is. Some quick fachts or comparisons would be nice. No videos though, I'm at work.
Slightly less janky Deus Ex 1. Though still janky

Bl@de

Slightly less janky Deus Ex 1. Though still janky

Gothic games are among my favourite RPGs. I embrace the jank. So it's first person bashing and shooting in real time? Nice... Thought it's some turn based third person stuff or janky Witcher 1 combat^^

MiszMasz

Gothic games are among my favourite RPGs. I embrace the jank. So it's first person bashing and shooting in real time? Nice... Thought it's some turn based third person stuff or janky Witcher 1 combat^^

You can play in 1st or 3rd person. Melee and ranged combat in real-time. I also like Gothic, and this is some prime jank.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Amazing this includes Wesp5's patches. Valve is basically selling a broken copy of the game, it literally does not let you run the game on Steam and is a product not fit for sale.

I'm confused, I know the 'big' patch download is free, but just wanna confirm.

Does the GOG version by-default come WITH the patch with the fixes and cut content ?

or does it only have the patch that fixes bugs ... meaning i'll still need to download the full patch for the cut content ?

Nikodemos

But for the love of Cain, just noclip through the sewers if you're playing for the first time. And then every time after that. It's really one of the worst, longest, most unnecessary mandatory combat segments I can think of in a game and it's the biggest mark against VTMB.
Yup. Andrei's lair and the associated areas are pretty much the only unarguably bad parts in an otherwise decently-paced game.

That was amazing experinence with community patch, don't forget to install when you gonna play.

I Wish Obsidian working with WoD concept for a game.

Amazing
and incredibly janky and unfinished
game. A world, where it wasn't rushed to the markets asap is a different world indeed.

Z3M0G

Oh this is the 2nd one? Was it really that good? Wow i missed out. I came in here to sing the praises of the first game...

A bought it a few weeks ago when it was on sale on Steam. This game is some good jank. The mods do make a hell of a difference. I played my first game vanilla, and while it wasn't too bad, it did get a bit weird a couple times. My current play through with mods is fantastic.

Steel

Banned
Get on this asap

One of the best rpgs of all time imho.

Get some visual mods and make sure to only get gameplay/content altering mods that work with each other. You won't be disappointed.

I played as a latino vampire who seduced himself through the whole game where he could.

Also it has one of the most genuinely terrifying sections in any game I've played with the hotel section. Fuck me I screamed.

The hospital section was pretty freaky too, but the hotel section was on another level.

Labadal

Does the GOG version by-default come WITH the patch with the fixes and cut content ?

or does it only have the patch that fixes bugs ... meaning i'll still need to download the full patch for the cut content ?

It has fixes but not content, I think.

Onemic

How come the gaming press never gave it any love when it released? Was it only the bugs?(That was pretty much the main complaint I heard back in 04)

This game has been on my pile of shame for a long-ass time. I tried playing it years ago on a dogshit laptop and it barely ran at all. Since building my desktop in 2012 it's been sitting in my Steam library and I just never get around to firing it up. From everything I've heard I'm certain I'd love it. I just haven't managed to make that leap yet.

Vlaphor

How come the gaming press never gave it any love when it released? Was it only the bugs?(That was pretty much the main complaint I heard back in 04)

It was incredibly buggy at launch, ran poorly, and came out the same day as Half-Life 2.

Mulgrok

The source engine was still in development while Bloodlines was being made. Activision didn't want to spend the money for compatability fixes as the release of source kept getting pushed back later and later. Valve wouldn't let them release the game before HL2, so funds were cut and the game was just shelved until it could be released.

At least, that is what I understand after reading the many retrospectives about Bloodlines.

rdaneel72

Excited for this.

I love GOG. I haven't played PC games since the Apple IIc, but I recently commandeered an old Lenovo Thinkpad 410 and I am filling it with classic games I've missed over the last 20 years. System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Morrowind, I have No Mouth and I Must Scream, KOTOR, and now this.

And boy, do 10-15 years old games run great on that old laptop!

Imagine if Troika became successful and gave us more big AAA rpgs,if we wouldnt have to depend on stories from Bioware/Bethesda rpgs with color coded good/evil choices.

Just kidding,Activision would have destroyed Troika sooner or later anyhow. Any IP/studio that cant be milked or turned into a billion dollar franchise is worth exactly jack shit to that publisher.

I need to get this game. What's generally recommended for a 1st playthrough?

Just install the unofficial patch,I'd recommend ticking the box next to the "plus patch" option in the installer as well for restored content.

If you meant which clan to pick,well the reason people advise against malkavians because while it's perfectly viable to play as one first,you'll enjoy the various easter eggs and insights more once you have a playthrough under your belt.
Nosferatu is the other clan which isnt newbie friendly because you are supposed to avoid contact with the random generic npcs,makes the game a bit harder.

Otherwise just keep in mind the endgame will have tons of fighting so try to concentrate on boosting either one of the close combat or ranged weapon skills into the 8-10ish range by the time you're in the last city hub.

The clans' descriptions and clan specific spells called disciplines will indicate which combat style they're gravitating more towards anyhow,but you can ignore those if you don't wanna bother min-maxing. (Brujah's disciplines boost strength for a short duration for example so they're better suited to unarmed/melee combat)

s_mirage

Otherwise just keep in mind the endgame will have tons of fighting so try to concentrate on boosting either one of the close combat or ranged weapon skills into the 8-10ish range by the time you're in the last city hub.

Agreed. IIRC there's a bit of dialogue early in the game where Nines tells you that you have to learn how to fight. This isn't just some filler in the script, although it's easy to dismiss it as such. On my first playthrough back when the game was new, I ignored this: I created a character that was completely focussed on seduction, stealth, etc. Then I got to the endgame and couldn't finish it. The forced combat is actually my only big criticism of the game.

Buying the game now.
Cannot wait to start.
This, deus ex, and SS2 have been on my gaming bucket list forever.

Time for a triple threat LTTP

So I just bought and installed.
15 min in and im already sucked in.
Seriously, games these days dont pull me in this quickly.

Question-any visual mods recommended?
And im not asking because i hate the look or am a graphics whore. I just want the best possible first experience.

Or is vanilla with the patch the way to go on a first run?

Card Boy

Banned

From my understanding Wesp5'S patch restores cut content such as missing dialogue trees and events in addition to the fixes. It obviously won't have HD texture packs and other mods.

thenexus6

I've always wanted to play this but never could. I got my first PC at the start of the month in maybe 8 years so I will check this out finally.

Ambitious

So I just bought and installed.
15 min in and im already sucked in.
Seriously, games these days dont pull me in this quickly.

Question-any visual mods recommended?
And im not asking because i hate the look or am a graphics whore. I just want the best possible first experience.

Or is vanilla with the patch the way to go on a first run?

Which clan did you choose? I can only reiterate what was said before: Don't play as a Malkavian or Nosferatu in your first playthrough.
(Don't know about visual mods, sorry)

Top Bottom