• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is now available on GOG

cj_iwakura

Played for hours today and totally forgot about soccer. My god is this game good. The characters, the dialogue, the gameplay ... how could I ignore it all this time? Need to play more but this has the potential to land very high on my list of favourite games (of all time). Everything I experienced so far lines up perfectly with my tastes. The only downside are the low resolution textures when it comes to characters. Aside from that it's still a good looking game (great artstyle and lots of supersampling make it easy on the eyes).

I play as a female toreador and go for charisma, seduction. But I'm still unsure about combat (have 2 points in melee/ranged, but I'm not sure what's better in the long run) and other complementary skills (like lockpicking etc.). I try to avoid combat and prefer talking. But sometimes combat is needed and I don't want to run into unwinnable situations (
the bloodspirit in the gallery was already lots of running around waiting for my health to regenerate and then furiously slashing with bloodbuff enabled)
. Any tipps (please don't spoil anything) for a newcomer?

There's a notoriously brutal section near the end of the game, so brace yourself for that, unless you're really good at stealth. The final battles can be tough, too. Beyond that, combat won't be too big a deal, stealth gets you through a lot. Toreys are great at gunning thanks to Celerity, IIRC.

Nordicus

Any tipps (please don't spoil anything) for a newcomer?
There's a notoriously brutal section near the end of the game, so brace yourself for that, unless you're really good at stealth. The final battles can be tough, too. Beyond that, combat won't be too big a deal, stealth gets you through a lot. Toreys are great at gunning thanks to Celerity, IIRC.
The top tiers of celerity are fun because at some point you can see bullets being fired out of guns Matrix style.

I still remember the first time I played this game I picked a Malkavian. The game was so fucked up I thought I was on drugs. Completed the game. Complained to friends about the wackiness. They thought I was the messed up one.

Played an alternative character. What a dull experience in comparison.

Bl@de

The top tiers of celerity are fun because at some point you can see bullets being fired out of guns Matrix style.

I like the sound of that. A charisma character with ranged combat/celerity it is. The tutorial guy (forgot the name) at the beginning said that guns are bad against vampires, that made me think about it for a while. Didn't want to invest all the points in ranged combat just to find out that it's useless later on -.-

Btw. How can I heal in the game? Any items or skills for that? Autoheal is fine when walking around, but in combat it's too slow.

I like the sound of that. A charisma character with ranged combat/celerity it is. The tutorial guy (forgot the name) at the beginning said that guns are bad against vampires, that made me think about it for a while. Didn't want to invest all the points in ranged combat just to find out that it's useless later on -.-

Btw. How can I heal in the game? Any items or skills for that? Autoheal is fine when walking around, but in combat it's too slow.

Blood heal or blood packs speeds up the regeneration rates, but apparently blood heal isn't in the latest patch or something?
Otherwise you still have health regen, but at a slower pace.

Or if you're fighting multiple human enemies use a couple as quick blood bags.

cj_iwakura

Normal bullets tend to be shrugged off, but blast a Kindred in the face with two barrels and he'll feel it.

Nordicus

The tutorial guy (forgot the name) at the beginning said that guns are bad against vampires, that made me think about it for a while. Didn't want to invest all the points in ranged combat just to find out that it's useless later on -.-
Actually, gun weapon selection has the highest power growth towards the end of the game. You'll get extremely damaging recoilless assault rifle that melts almost anything, not to mention a fucking flamethrower if you can manage to get your hands on one.

67% off, price right now is €5,99.

really tempting if it wasn't for deus ex mankind divided. i'd rather not buy bloodlines while i know i won't be playing it for at least 2 or 3 weeks.

Matthew23

It's been too long since I've played this, maybe my favorite RPG of all time. One of the few games that had me hooked from the intro to credits with literally no down time. Masterpiece.

Top Bottom