• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is now available on GOG

Which clan did you choose? I can only reiterate what was said before: Don't play as a Malkavian or Nosferatu in your first playthrough.
(Don't know about visual mods, sorry)

Went bruja...which i then realized wasnt best as i want to be a ranged fighter bit oh well i commit.

Also did i completely overlook character customization in the opening menus?
Or is that done in game?

Ambitious

Went bruja...which i then realized wasnt best as i want to be a ranged fighter bit oh well i commit.

Or is that done in game?

Don't worry, gun controls are quite wonky anyway. Melee is better.
There's no character customization apart from gender, clan, and history if you installed the patch. You'll be able to pick up a few clothes during the game, but there aren't particularly many and they're complete sets.

GavinUK86

Or is that done in game?

Bruja is a really solid choice for a first playthrough. Focus on melee attacks.

MadYarpen

*sigh*

I might have to reinstall.

I played venture and malkavian, maybe time for something else. Great game to go back to...

Bruja is a really solid choice for a first playthrough. Focus on melee attacks.

So as a bruja ranged just isnt doable?
Id honestly prefer it but i can run melee if it just isnt viable.

Also lol at the reinstall post, never fails

And i installed some player character model mods.
The defaults were just unlikable.
Im running as a better looking NPC.

cj_iwakura

Also lol at the reinstall post, never fails

And i installed some player character model mods.
The defaults were just unlikable.
Im running as a better looking NPC.
You get nicer outfits later on.

Pilgrimzero

Or is that done in game?

There is a way to either take a pre done vamp or spend points to stat your own. So you could make any kind of
Vamp that good and melee, or range, or whatever. Though some do better than others in certain fields.

Brujah are made for combat but that's about it. Where as a Toreador is great at socializing.

If you installed the unofficial patch you also get backgrounds. Like a Brujah who used to be in the circus, or in the army etc. which tend to give some sort of positive and negative attributes.

Nekofrog

Banned
i've played this game about 15 times since it originally came out, but it's been a few years so i think it's time again

i wonder if the hotel will still be as effective as i remember it

There is a way to either take a pre done vamp or spend points to stat your own. So you could make any kind of
Vamp that good and melee, or range, or whatever. Though some do better than others in certain fields.

Brujah are made for combat but that's about it. Where as a Toreador is great at socializing.

If you installed the unofficial patch you also get backgrounds. Like a Brujah who used to be in the circus, or in the army etc. which tend to give some sort of positive and negative attributes.

By customization i mean pure appearance/cosmetics

El Topo

It's perfectly fine. Just focus on one fighting style.
Also a tip for newcomers: Don't put points in Research unless you are absolutely 100% sure and even then save before you do it.

By customization i mean pure appearance/cosmetics

There is no cosmetic customization. There's different clothes that you get over the course of the game. That's it.

It's perfectly fine. Just focus on one fighting style.
Also a tip for newcomers: Don't put points in Research unless you are absolutely 100% sure and even then save before you do it.

...fuck
May have dropped one in research.
But just one.
Is it just a useless skill with no real use?
Any other tips related to skills like that one?
Im a noob here so i have no idea if some skills are just underutilized.
Also is it a bad idea trying to be a jack of all trades?
Should i just just pick a few core skills and dump all points into them?

Edit: then im glad i added some character model mods.
Using a custom avatar

El Topo

...fuck
May have dropped one in research.
But just one.
Is it just a useless skill with no real use?
Any other tips related to skills like that one?
Im a noob here so i have no idea if some skills are just underutilized.
Also is it a bad idea trying to be a jack of all trades?
Should i just just pick a few core skills and dump all points into them?

Some things:
1) Focus on a single fighting style because some parts of the game, especially the last part, are very combat-heavy.
2) Research is a skill that allows you to use books to boost other skills and certain items. It's not bad, but you may end up wasting points for skills you don't like. Best save before you spend points for a book.
3) While I think focussing on a few core skills might be very advantageous and while some skills are better than others, I'd recommend you to just play the game the way you like it.
4) Keep in mind that you have a power that allows you to temporarily push your physical skills. That can help you with some things, e.g. lockpicking.
5) Hacking is used to avoid passwords. Often you can find them somewhere in the game, or you can just look them up on the internet, i.e. in theory you *could* avoid the skill, if you wanted to.
6) Talk to people. There are a lot of quests and they can net you a lot of points to spend.
7) Don't overthink it. Just have fun. Seriously. Don't sweat it.

rdaneel72

Just posted this in the appropriate GOG forum, but wonder if anyone here might have an idea for me. I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

rdaneel72 said:
I just launched VTMB, and when the game boots to the main menu, my mouse cursor disappears. I know I can select the first letter of each option, but after that, I need my mouse cursor. The cursor is there through all the logo screens, but once I hit that game's main menu, it's gone.

I am new to PC gaming. The last PC i played games on before this was my Apple IIc in the mid 80s. I am now using a Lenovo Thinkpad 410t from a few years ago. It has a core i5 M520 @ 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM and running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. The mouse is a generic USB mouse, but even unplugging the mouse and using the lousy touch pad, still no cursor at the main menu.

I am also unclear as to how to install the unofficial patch. I don't know if it installs automatically, or where it is to install manually. I found the ReadMe.txt,. Don't know if that would help my issue anyway.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am way out of my league here.

Thanks.

EDIT------------------------

wesp5 said:
Try removing mouse trail in Windows

This is the answer, if anyone else is having troubles.

Dear Gaming Industry,

Let's remake this game... or just give us a new one. I'll paypal you money right now, and you know about my evangelical hatred of season passes, yeah... I will go full hypocrite for a follow up to this game and buy into any money making scheme you present just to have a Bloodlines 2.

XOX,

A person who misses White Wolf video games.

PS: Let's just not do that new world of darkness thing. Let's keep it VtM

cj_iwakura

Dear Gaming Industry,

Let's remake this game... or just give us a new one. I'll paypal you money right now and you know about my evangelical hatred of season passes, yeah... I will go full hypocrite for a follow up to this game and buy into any money making scheme you present just to have a Bloodlines 2.

XOX,

A person who misses White Wolf video games.

PS: Let's just not do that new world of darkness thing. Let's keep it VtM

Hey hey, NWoD Mage is great.

Not a fan of Requiem either. Do be aware that Paradox-WW are planning things for the V:TM license, though.

Hey hey, NWoD Mage is great.

Not a fan of Requiem, though. Do be aware that Paradox-WW are planning things for the V:TM license, though.

I fear how badly they'll fudge the mechanics to do the free form magic system. A mage game of either incarnation would be a bridge too far and too ambitious, I think.

cj_iwakura

I fear how badly they'll fudge the mechanics to do the free form magic system. A mage game of either incarnation would be a bridge too far and too ambitious, I think.

I agree, I can't imagine how they'd pull it off. I'd guess you'd just have to limit each Arcana to a set array of spells, and allow some room for variety(like Magicka's system or something).

NWoD Mage would make a fantastic CRPG, however they do it.

I agree, I can't imagine how they'd pull it off. I'd guess you'd just have to limit each Arcana to a set array of spells, and allow some room for variety(like Magicka's system or something).

NWoD Mage would make a fantastic CRPG, however they do it.

That could work out nicely. An another idea there is not enough interest in them specifically, but the Technocracy could work perfectly in an XCOM like game in the WoD. Resource management and scouring reality deviants across the world.

Carcetti

Some things:
1) Focus on a single fighting style because some parts of the game, especially the last part, are very combat-heavy.

The final stretch really is something where you need to be able to kill people. My first playthrough was a sexy, social toreador with no heavy combat skills and I almost got stuck at the end. Fortunately I'd banked xp so I could buy Celerity 5. Even the toughest things die if you stab them 100 times a second.

SilentRob

Assuming everyone gets the Uncut version this is extra great news for germans, since you still can only get the censored (the decapitation at the beginning of the game got cut out) version on Steam.

This is honestly one of the best RPGs of all time. Get it!

Nikodemos

Malkavians ftw, right?
Playing one is like reading a walkthrough written by somebody coming down from a shroom trip.

In other words, completely awesome. Unfortunately, they're not exactly the best combat bloodline. Auspex helps a lot with ranged weapons, except most of them are weak against Kindred or Blood Horrors. Dementation is good, but, again, supernaturals have high resistance. Obfuscation gives you criticals in HtH, but supernaturals have enhanced senses and basically halve the effective radius of your stealth field.

StMeph

I've played and re-played this game enough times that I don't need to reinstall it anymore, but a Remake + VR support would have me there Day One.

NWoD > OWoD

New has the better Changeling, Demon and Hunter.

New Changeling is better in all ways to Old. That game alone would make an amazing modern fantasy horror video game. I'd think though it's best presented as something more on the rails and narrative drive and not open.

While it has some practical issues in actual gameplay, I really love the concept of Promethean. They might have the coolest antagonist ideas of all the games.

Requiem just didn't have the same punch as Masquerade though.

cj_iwakura

New Changeling is better in all ways to Old. That game alone would make an amazing modern fantasy horror video game. I'd think though it's best presented as something more on the rails and narrative drive and not open.

While it has some practical issues in actual gameplay, I really love the concept of Promethean. They might have the coolest antagonist ideas of all the games.

Requiem just didn't have the same punch as Masquerade though.

They tried too hard to make Requiem approachable by killing all the weight of Masquerade's backstory, but they failed to realize that's what people love about Masquerade. And yeah, NWoD Changeling would make a great CRPG as well.

Mage first, though.

cj_iwakura

Props for new changeling. New demon is cool but looks hard to DM.

Disagree with Hunter.

Both Hunters are great, if for different reasons. One is a bunch of people with limited means against the unknown, the other lets you play anything from the local hobo with a shotgun to the spec ops team from Cabin in the Woods.

Lokimaru

So I've been reading the Brujah Clanbook since that's the character I'm playing and I want to know what happened to Jeremy MacNeil? Seems he should'a been what Nines is in the game.

REDSLATE

This is one of the games known for not running well (even back in the day), correct? If so, this is great news all around as GOG does an amazing job making older games compatible.

rdaneel72

This game is awesome! I guess everyone else has known this for a decade, but for a guy who hasn't played anything on PC, ever, this is so damn fun.

I love the small but densely packed world. Santa Monica was great; just got to Downtown.

I love the character interactions, and persuasion/seduction dialog choices.

I love making the tough decisions on how to spend my precious experience points. There are always two or three things I want to upgrade at the same time, and pulling the trigger is gut-wrenching.

And Therese and Jeanette! Maybe others saw that coming, but I sure didn't.

cj_iwakura

So I've been reading the Brujah Clanbook since that's the character I'm playing and I want to know what happened to Jeremy MacNeil? Seems he should'a been what Nines is in the game.
Which one? I think there are at least two different clan books. And keep in mind, not all Brujah are Anarchs.

televator

Is it patched with controller support? I was very intrigued by what little I played of it, but I need simplified controls.

Bl@de

Bought it on the GOG sale after finishing Mass Effect 2^^ Now let's see if this game really is that good :p 8xSGSSAA etc. all set up, only need to make a Steam Controller config and I'm ready to go

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Was reading through this thread, realized I've already replied. Still need to play through this at some point.

bati

One of the best games ever made.

It is, very much so. You'll spend the first half of the game as melee/stealth though because you'll be pressed for skill points, especially if you want to put some into hacking, lockpicking, etc (and you really should). At the end of the game as Brujah I had so many leftover points that I almost fully skilled up range and just tore the last level apart, Matrix style. Bullet time all day erry day.

Bl@de

Played for hours today and totally forgot about soccer. My god is this game good. The characters, the dialogue, the gameplay ... how could I ignore it all this time? Need to play more but this has the potential to land very high on my list of favourite games (of all time). Everything I experienced so far lines up perfectly with my tastes. The only downside are the low resolution textures when it comes to characters. Aside from that it's still a good looking game (great artstyle and lots of supersampling make it easy on the eyes).

I play as a female toreador and go for charisma, seduction. But I'm still unsure about combat (have 2 points in melee/ranged, but I'm not sure what's better in the long run) and other complementary skills (like lockpicking etc.). I try to avoid combat and prefer talking. But sometimes combat is needed and I don't want to run into unwinnable situations (
the bloodspirit in the gallery was already lots of running around waiting for my health to regenerate and then furiously slashing with bloodbuff enabled)
. Any tipps (please don't spoil anything) for a newcomer?

Top Bottom