• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
RIP

Snow in Vancouver is probably about as bad as snow in Dallas in terms of people being unprepared and terrible at driving.

It's going to be pretty much this:

GiHLyDK.jpg

YAY MORE SNOW

Hey Vancouverite , I was wondering about advice on where the best job boards are for looking for jobs in the Vancouver area. I officially graduate in May, but I'm currently done all my classes at UBC. I'll be graduating with a Arts degree Psychology Major, and FIrst Nations and Indigenous studies Minor.

I'm also curious about the general customs for interviews specific to Vancouver. I'm from a smaller town, so the interview process is more laidback.

Hey, the most common ones I've found are probably similar to the ones all over the world... linkedin&glassdoor. Also check job-specific sites (e.g. there's a life-science association in BC that only posts life-science related jobs, there may be sth related to what you'd like to get into?) and company-sites themselves if you have any specific ones in mind.

Firestorm

Yeah, Indeed and stuff is used but there might be better stuff based on specific industry. I got my job by going to a startup job fair actually and somehow got a callback.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
YAY MORE SNOW

Hey, the most common ones I've found are probably similar to the ones all over the world... linkedin&glassdoor. Also check job-specific sites (e.g. there's a life-science association in BC that only posts life-science related jobs, there may be sth related to what you'd like to get into?) and company-sites themselves if you have any specific ones in mind.
Smelly stealing a Canadian job and also bringing us crazy snow. Somebody deport him already! Seriously when was the last time we had snow in the city in February?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Welp, might as well finally get those leftover Christmas lights off of my bal--

*snows*

Welp, I guess it can wait.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Got here yesterday from Edmonton (first time in Canada!) and it was a terrible trek to my hotel lol.

I was not prepared for my impromptu trip (that snow....) but I'm really grateful there is Car2Go here. I was able to get my first taste of poutine at La Bella Patate, check out the Aquarium + a small drive around part of Stanley park, and stop by Luppolo brewery. I'm here until tuesday (working weekdays), but does anyone have any recommendations for what I can do tomorrow?

Cheerilee

How much snow does it take to collapse one's roof?

I would like to say that I've seen more and heavier snow than we've got right now. At least in my neighborhood.

A quick google says that the Alberta building code "suggests" snow removal if you get 20 inches. The page saying that suggested 16 inches though, just to play it safe. And then it said that 16 and 20 are just a guideline, because your roof could collapse with less than 16 inches of heavy snow, while being perfectly fine with more than 20 inches of light snow. Different roofs also carry the weight differently.

They also suggested not to try clearing it yourself, because a roof avalanche could knock your ladder over.

I remember seeing a tip once where someone suggested tossing a piece of 2x4 tied to a rope up onto the roof (from the ground), and then pulling the rope and it triggers an avalanche to easily clear the snow.

Random pic
y0SgDAt.jpg

WolfeTone

The snow is pretty surreal. I remember being able to go hiking this time of year a few years back with not even a hint of snow even at the higher altitudes. Crazy it can still be so cold. Stay warm Vancouver-GAF.

RC

Banned
Guess I have another 12 hour day at the office to look forward to.
Its always so hectic here once the snow hits.

Might be kind of a stupid question, but do any of you know of a place where I can get my measurements taken (ideally in Burnaby, but anywhere else is cool too)? I need to send them in online, so I wouldn't be buying anything in person. Could I just go to any tailor for that?

Smiley90

Might be kind of a stupid question, but do any of you know of a place where I can get my measurements taken (ideally in Burnaby, but anywhere else is cool too)? I need to send them in online, so I wouldn't be buying anything in person. Could I just go to any tailor for that?

yeah just go to any suit store/tailor, they can take your measurements.

The snow is pretty surreal. I remember being able to go hiking this time of year a few years back with not even a hint of snow even at the higher altitudes. Crazy it can still be so cold. Stay warm Vancouver-GAF.

Remember the Olympics? They were trucking in snow.

This year? No need.

Man the extra snow this afternoon was a bit unexpecting. I was looking at forecasts up until 12pm and most of it was all missing the greater Vancouver area. Guess not!

Cheerilee

I was just out driving with some all-season tires on my car (the old definition of all-season, aka, the ones that can handle winter if there isn't any snow or ice). Dangerous as hell. If I wasn't a fairly good driver, I'd have wiped out at least 20 times.

Reaffirms my decision to curl up in a blanket and play videogames until this lousy Smarch weather is finished.

I should also invest in some of those new winter-style all-season tires (they're basically snow tires, but they're good in spring and fall, so you can change your tires twice a year at your leisure).

Smiley90

my car's parking spot is surrounded by a barrier of snow and ice. impossible to get out. I'm just bussing to and from work for now lol.

RC

Banned
my car's parking stop is surrounded by a barrier of snow and ice. impossible to get out. I'm just bussing to and from work for now lol.

Same here.

Although I might try getting my car out tommrow morning and then give up after 5 minutes.

Cheerilee

I dug myself out and then put the shovel in my trunk. If you get stuck out there somewhere, you might need a shovel to get going again.

Fortunately I didn't need it. This time.

otapnam

Hey guys I've never been to Vancouver but am planning a family trip this summer to visit for 3-4 nights around August.

We're going to fly up to Seattle stay a night or 2, rent a car and drive up. ( Wife + toddler + baby)

I'm considering doing an Airbnb or just regular hotel.

What areas would you recommend staying near? Since we will have a car we'll be fine getting around.

Would also love any recommendations on sites/seasonal events and of course restaurants

Smiley90

I dug myself out and then put the shovel in my trunk. If you get stuck out there somewhere, you might need a shovel to get going again.

Fortunately I didn't need it. This time.

I don't even own a shovel. I live in an apartment block FFS.

Hey guys I've never been to Vancouver but am planning a family trip this summer to visit for 3-4 nights around August.

We're going to fly up to Seattle stay a night or 2, rent a car and drive up. ( Wife + toddler + baby)

I'm considering doing an Airbnb or just regular hotel.

What areas would you recommend staying near? Since we will have a car we'll be fine getting around.

Would also love any recommendations on sites/seasonal events and of course restaurants

With a toddler&baby I'd recommend getting a hotel, just because you don't wanna be stuck with an accommodation that's surprisingly bad with that. Hotel prices aren't crazy expensive.

Neighborhood wise everything is more or less the same, public transit is pretty good when it's not shut down by snow. I'd say there's 3 categories of locations for tourists:

1) Anywhere downtown
2) Anywhere in Vancouver/Burnaby/Richmond near a Skytrain station (e.g. there's cheap hotels at Metrotown or near Richmond Centre/Brighouse and you get into downtown/anywhere pretty quick)
3) Anywhere else

ESPECIALLY if you have a car, anywhere is pretty much fine though. I'd even recommend against using the car except for driving up to Whistler for a day-trip! (which you should totally do)

so for attractions for a 3-4 day visit:

1) Whistler day-trip
2) Stanley Park (&Aquarium) / Gastown / Robson / Downtown in general
3) Queen Elizabeth Park and/or Grouse Mountain - with a family you should probably take the gondola instead of hiking but the view is gorgeous. With a car you can also drive to the Cypress Mountain Lookout that has an equally gorgeous view over the burrard inlet and isn't accessible via public transportation.

otapnam

With a toddler&baby I'd recommend getting a hotel, just because you don't wanna be stuck with an accommodation that's surprisingly bad with that. Hotel prices aren't crazy expensive.

Neighborhood wise everything is more or less the same, public transit is pretty good when it's not shut down by snow. I'd say there's 3 categories of locations for tourists:

1) Anywhere downtown
2) Anywhere in Vancouver/Burnaby/Richmond near a Skytrain station (e.g. there's cheap hotels at Metrotown or near Richmond Centre/Brighouse and you get into downtown/anywhere pretty quick)
3) Anywhere else

ESPECIALLY if you have a car, anywhere is pretty much fine though. I'd even recommend against using the car except for driving up to Whistler for a day-trip! (which you should totally do)

so for attractions for a 3-4 day visit:

1) Whistler day-trip
2) Stanley Park (&Aquarium) / Gastown / Robson / Downtown in general
3) Queen Elizabeth Park and/or Grouse Mountain - with a family you should probably take the gondola instead of hiking but the view is gorgeous. With a car you can also drive to the Cypress Mountain Lookout that has an equally gorgeous view over the burrard inlet and isn't accessible via public transportation.

thanks! I did notice that the hotel prices didnt seem too bad, ill take the rest of your sugestions into consideration

Auctopus

Hey Vancouver-GAF, I am inside your city until Sunday. Could I get some food place recommendations please? I only have my feet so anywhere on the main island would be great, thanks.

Ps. Feel free to recommend any activities too. Not bothered by the rain, took a walk all the way around Stanley Park today and it was great.

Firestorm

Great Japanese: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/
Great Poutine: http://westcoastpoutine.wixsite.com/labellepatatevan

If you have more than one person, the lunch set here is great (Korean): http://kosoorestaurant.ca

I also like the lunch set (Teishoku A) at http://www.blackrice.ca/

There aren't a lot of sushi places downtown I'm super fond of but http://tsukisushibar.ca/ I like.

http://hubbubsandwiches.com/ and http://meatandbread.ca/ for sandwiches

Try out Japadog I guess. For ramen I like Taishoken and Santouka.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
BC liberals just announced plans to bring ridesharing apps like Uber and Lyft to BC if they win the election in may.

frontovik

Banned
I understand that our city has been working on our poverty problems, but I fear that it's getting worse with the increased living costs.

Has anyone noticed that panhandlers have become a tad more aggressive or assertive lately? They really get in your face now when asking for money, and even one briefly followed me while crossing the street. It's just really awkward.

They're especially prominent outside the major Skytrain hubs downtown.

Dazzler

I understand that our city has been working on our poverty problems, but I fear that it's getting worse with the increased living costs.

Has anyone noticed that panhandlers have become a tad more aggressive or assertive lately? They really get in your face now when asking for money, and even one briefly followed me while crossing the street. It's just really awkward.

They're especially prominent outside the major Skytrain hubs downtown.

Saw one homeless person spit in another one's face for taking their patch at Broadway/Cambie yesterday afternoon. Not a great sight

Anony

hey guys,
gonna be in vancouver from 14th to 22nd

i generally know what i want to do:
biking/cycling, hiking, sakura/cherry blossom viewing, eating vancouver food (stuff that i cant find in toronto or is better)

but i'm completely lost on where to go, there's so many places to do all this

I'm going to be solo on some of these days, is there stuff that's good to do in vancouver alone? I think i'll be dedicating a day to the aquarium and whatever is close by
I'm thinking of another day down in richmond by the seaport to see fish being caught and unhauled (is that a thing?)

as for the bike, can a rent a bike at location A and bike it to some other location?

hey guys,
gonna be in vancouver from 14th to 22nd

i generally know what i want to do:
biking/cycling, hiking, sakura/cherry blossom viewing, eating vancouver food (stuff that i cant find in toronto or is better)

but i'm completely lost on where to go, there's so many places to do all this

I'm going to be solo on some of these days, is there stuff that's good to do in vancouver alone? I think i'll be dedicating a day to the aquarium and whatever is close by
I'm thinking of another day down in richmond by the seaport to see fish being caught and unhauled (is that a thing?)

as for the bike, can a rent a bike at location A and bike it to some other location?

No one responds here. I'm so sorry.

Lots to do by yourself. You can even go to Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain by yourself and via public transportation. There are a ton of places to rent bikes.. there are also pay as you go bike ride sharing as well if you want.

Places to eat are everywhere. Honestly Yelp some places for a few good suggestions. Vancouver is all about their asian fare as the asian population is big here. You can also find some great seafood and cheap oysters during some happy hours at most places between 3-6pm every day. ($1 oysters).

Umm.. But yeah lots to do. Not sure about watching people fish? But go to Granville Island for like a market and just cool stuff. They have boats there and you can buy fresh seafood off the boat if you want as well.

frontovik

Banned
I'd recommend avoiding Capilano Suspension Bridge as it's a blatant tourist trap. You'd be better off at Lynn Canyon, which has better views and is free.

Anony

what i meant was like a fish market, see fresh fish being hauled from boats and people bidding for fish (aka tokyo fish market)

i was advised to plan indoor stuff since it might rain, any suggestions?

Top Bottom