• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Vhalyar

It's looking more and more likely that I may get a chance to fly back to Canada, and work in Vancouver. Woop woop!

My only problem is that salary negotiation is going to happen sooner rather than later and I have basically zero idea oor expectations. I don't want to put out numbers in public, so I don't suppose there's anyone who'd mind me shooting them a few questions via PM?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It's looking more and more likely that I may get a chance to fly back to Canada, and work in Vancouver. Woop woop!

My only problem is that salary negotiation is going to happen sooner rather than later and I have basically zero idea oor expectations. I don't want to put out numbers in public, so I don't suppose there's anyone who'd mind me shooting them a few questions via PM?

I think for any of us to have any kind of input we need to know your field, at least vaguely? Cost of living here is really quite high so keep that in mind.

Vhalyar

I think for any of us to have any kind of input we need to know your field, at least vaguely? Cost of living here is really quite high so keep that in mind.

Oh yeah, I'd provide some background to my questions. Just don't want to put it out in a public thread when it wouldn't be too difficult to pinpoint the employer.

Smiley90

We are getting snow. RIP

RIP

Snow in Vancouver is probably about as bad as snow in Dallas in terms of people being unprepared and terrible at driving.

It's going to be pretty much this:

GiHLyDK.jpg

Dazzler

I had to walk in because the buses couldn't make it in/out of Kitsilano

Guess I'll stay at my gf's place in Gastown tonight

B-Dex

RIP

Snow in Vancouver is probably about as bad as snow in Dallas in terms of people being unprepared and terrible at driving.

It's going to be pretty much this:

GiHLyDK.jpg

Exactly this.

Also it was hailing and I got ice in my jacket pockets. 😂

Smiley90

These road conditions are a goddamn embarrassment for this city. It's like driving on fucking jello because there's apparently no damn salt in this city. You'd think they could harvest it from Canucks fans.

Cambie St. in Richmond is WHITE, I had to drift my way onto the highway and then drive 30 across the bridge and onto SW Marine Drive.

Peterthumpa

These road conditions are a goddamn embarrassment for this city. It's like driving on fucking jello because there's apparently no damn salt in this city.
Vancouver will never be as ready as Quebec City, Toronto, etc. for snow days like today. It's just not as common, that's a fact.
If Toronto had 2 months of rain straight, things would get ugly for them too.

Also,

You'd think they could harvest it from Canucks fans.

9sxHPBx.jpg

Vancouver will never be as ready as Quebec City, Toronto, etc. for snow days like today. It's just not as common, that's a fact.
If Toronto had 2 months of rain straight, things would get ugly for them too.

Yeah, I mean Manitoba and specifically Brandon got walloped with tons of snow and is now locked into an extreme deep freeze, and even when they closed the Trans-Canada from the Saskatchewan border to Brandon, the people out here know how to drive better in blizzard conditions then Vancouverites in 2 cm of snow.

Doesn't help that nobody in the Lower Mainland ever buys winter tires, out here in Manitoba winter tires are subsidized.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
These road conditions are a goddamn embarrassment for this city. It's like driving on fucking jello because there's apparently no damn salt in this city. You'd think they could harvest it from Canucks fans.

Cambie St. in Richmond is WHITE, I had to drift my way onto the highway and then drive 30 across the bridge and onto SW Marine Drive.
Dude but did you see dat Tempa game the other day? We planning the parade here.

Smiley90

Dude but did you see dat Tempa game the other day? We planning the parade here.

SKILLE/MEGNA ERA BEGINS NOW

Cambie Road is in Richmond. Cambie Street is in Vancouver.

Sorry, could've sworn it was also called Cambie Street which is why I put the "Richmond" disclaimer there so people wouldn't get confused. Didn't realize it was Cambie Road...

NetMapel

SKILLE/MEGNA ERA BEGINS NOW

Sorry, could've sworn it was also called Cambie Street which is why I put the "Richmond" disclaimer there so people wouldn't get confused. Didn't realize it was Cambie Road...
West coast express line 2.0!!! Get their jerseys before they become too hot!

My wife and I are coming up Saturday morning for a quick weekend stay in the city. Staying at the Fairmont Pacific Rim downtown (hoorary for her accruing Fairmont points. Free room!), brunch at Alibi Room, already have dinner reservations at Tavola, and I'm hitting some breweries while she uses up her Fairmont points at the spa. With that said, any good spots to check out Christmas lights after dinner?

Cheerilee

My wife and I are coming up Saturday morning for a quick weekend stay in the city. Staying at the Fairmont Pacific Rim downtown (hoorary for her accruing Fairmont points. Free room!), brunch at Alibi Room, already have dinner reservations at Tavola, and I'm hitting some breweries while she uses up her Fairmont points at the spa. With that said, any good spots to check out Christmas lights after dinner?
There's apparently a huge Christmas light maze set up just south of Downtown.

http://enchantchristmas.com/

Tickets are $20 per-person online, and it looks like they still have some available for Sunday after 8PM (Saturday is sold out).

• Christmas Market at Jack Poole Plaza (you can buy tickets on Groupon).
  • Bright Nights at Stanley Park
  • Festival of Lights at Vandusen Gardens
  • I think there might be something at Canada Place

Smiley90

Christmas Market is now at the Olympic Cauldron in Coal Harbour by Canada Place.

That space is called Jack Poole Plaza :p By Canada place Prodigy probably meant the actual Canada place - e.g. the Canadian heritage walk/the sails. The Cauldron is at the Vancouver Convention Centre - Jack Poole Plaza, not Canada Place :)

Christmas Market is now at the Olympic Cauldron in Coal Harbour by Canada Place.

We saw the Christmas Market this morning (looked like you had to pay to get in), it's right across the street from our hotel. Holy shit our view is amazing.

IMG_4101.jpg

Had breakfast at Jam Cafe, heading out to Callister Brewing soon and then more beers at Alibi Room while my wife has spa day.

Stay safe out there today y'all. It's pretty nasty out there!

Is it still snowing? We had breakfast at Fable and then headed South yesterday around 11am and while the snow was pretty it wasn't a problem driving.

Also, can someone explain what the Christmas Market is? Reading the sign outside my wife and I were confused why you had to pay to get in.

I'm visiting right now from Seattle, and this really is the best city on earth. Great food, great beer, great bookstores, and man, are people really much nicer, generally.

Plus, this place is multi-cultural and proud of it. There are so many people just hanging out with each other, so many families of different ethnicities...I want to live here now.

I wish I were Canadian.

I need money.

Grass is always greener. I've been to Seattle a lot and I can say with firm authority that the cities are much more alike than you're probably willing to believe.

B-Dex

Grass is always greener. I've been to Seattle a lot and I can say with firm authority that the cities are much more alike than you're probably willing to believe.

I think Seattle is just a more boring version of here. But last time I went was tears and years ago.

Don't get me wrong, Seattle is great, too.

Really, I'm a firm believer that Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland are really three very alike cities in key ways. They've got a blue-collar port town element that is rubbing up against a young, diverse techie crowd. They've got bad homelessness problems. They're trying to look to the future and figure out how to accommodate all the people who want to live nearby, but those are really big problems. They all have great beer, great bookstores, and great restaurants.

I was born in this region and I'll never leave it. I love Western Washington and Western Oregon...but I wish I could live in Vancouver. I feel so comfortable here.

NetMapel

Don't get me wrong, Seattle is great, too.

Really, I'm a firm believer that Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland are really three very alike cities in key ways. They've got a blue-collar port town element that is rubbing up against a young, diverse techie crowd. They've got bad homelessness problems. They're trying to look to the future and figure out how to accommodate all the people who want to live nearby, but those are really big problems. They all have great beer, great bookstores, and great restaurants.

I was born in this region and I'll never leave it. I love Western Washington and Western Oregon...but I wish I could live in Vancouver. I feel so comfortable here.
The foreign investors who've been buying up our real estates have now begun to set their eyes on Seattle like Sauron's eye. We will share one more similarity soon. Resistance is futile!

Sora_N

I'm visiting right now from Seattle, and this really is the best city on earth. Great food, great beer, great bookstores, and man, are people really much nicer, generally.

Plus, this place is multi-cultural and proud of it. There are so many people just hanging out with each other, so many families of different ethnicities...I want to live here now.

I wish I were Canadian.

I need money.

You're lucky to see snow. It's really rare here.

Shaanyboi

Banned

I wish I were Canadian.

I need money.
My first visit cemented that I needed to live here. Acouple years later, I finally moved for school and have been here for 7 years since.

We saw the Christmas Market this morning (looked like you had to pay to get in), it's right across the street from our hotel. Holy shit our view is amazing.

IMG_4101.jpg

Had breakfast at Jam Cafe, heading out to Callister Brewing soon and then more beers at Alibi Room while my wife has spa day.

Fairmont Pacific Rim is a great hotel. Glad you enjoyed the view. I live literally 100 yards away from there.

Dazzler

do any of you guys frequent the Vancouver subreddit? I've had to stop reading it because it's so relentlessly negative about the city

According to them, everything is terrible and we're being overrun by Chinese people

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
do any of you guys frequent the Vancouver subreddit? I've had to stop reading it because it's so relentlessly negative about the city

According to them, everything is terrible and we're being overrun by Chinese people
It's Reddit

Smiley90

r/Vancouver is a hellhole. I looked into it a few times and it's full of people ranting about the city indeed. Don't go there.

Yeah, I'm seriously considering leaving. If I get a better job elsewhere, I'm packing my bags.

I'll come back if the market ever improves, though.

NetMapel

Yeah, I'm seriously considering leaving. If I get a better job elsewhere, I'm packing my bags.

I'll come back if the market ever improves, though.
I see us heading like where all major cities have headed. Think of places like Hong Kong and the geographical constraints. We got a stable government here with clear laws. Beautiful scenery. Nothing else about our region has changed recently other than an extra foreigner 15% tax. My prediction is that our single houses are likely to drop by about 15% to compensate for the tax but nothing else will change much. Instead now there are more competition for smaller size condos that normal Canadians sought after so that market will become more expensive.

I think if they ever increase density and the supply of 2-3 bedroom condos and townhouses, then prices might become affordable (good luck with that considering the opposition to any such developments, and developers themselves reluctant to build less-profitable 2-3 bedrooms). Detached homes will probably never drop back down to anything affordable though.

Love it or hate it, Vancouver is on the global map now, and truth be told it does have a lot going for it. The Olympics gave it attention, but it's always had great weather, proximity to Asia and the US west coast, mountains and an ocean, and sushi.

Sometimes I think that if I was born 10 years earlier I could've bought a place before prices went insane.

Firestorm

I see us heading like where all major cities have headed. Think of places like Hong Kong and the geographical constraints. We got a stable government here with clear laws. Beautiful scenery. Nothing else about our region has changed recently other than an extra foreigner 15% tax. My prediction is that our single houses are likely to drop by about 15% to compensate for the tax but nothing else will change much. Instead now there are more competition for smaller size condos that normal Canadians sought after so that market will become more expensive.
It's super frustrating reading the stories about detached house pricing going down when the only thing even close for you is a condo. If only I was like 3 years further in my life 3 years ago... Prices have increased a ridiculous amount in such a short time.

Coming back from Japan, i think that Vancouver definitely should move towards density so that the average person can afford a place. While it is nice having a big house, the trade off in convenience is much better, and reduced energy consumption per house.

Hey Vancouverite , I was wondering about advice on where the best job boards are for looking for jobs in the Vancouver area. I officially graduate in May, but I'm currently done all my classes at UBC. I'll be graduating with a Arts degree Psychology Major, and FIrst Nations and Indigenous studies Minor.

I'm also curious about the general customs for interviews specific to Vancouver. I'm from a smaller town, so the interview process is more laidback.

Top Bottom