• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

what i meant was like a fish market, see fresh fish being hauled from boats and people bidding for fish (aka tokyo fish market)

i was advised to plan indoor stuff since it might rain, any suggestions?

I don't think you'll see anything like Tsukiji in Vancouver that's open to the public. Granville Island is pretty touristy, but you'll see fresh seafood for sale.

Anony

I don't think you'll see anything like Tsukiji in Vancouver that's open to the public. Granville Island is pretty touristy, but you'll see fresh seafood for sale.

damn that sucks, oh well

hope the weather gets better, with my luck probably not

what stuff will be opened friday? (and i guess throughout easter weekend)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
damn that sucks, oh well

hope the weather gets better, with my luck probably not

what stuff will be opened friday? (and i guess throughout easter weekend)

Pretty much everything will be open, I wouldnt worry too much.

ALSO there IS what you're looking for - it's in Steveston though. South Richmond. Fish being sold straight off the boat in the harbor. There's seals, too :) (in the water wanting fish, not sold you horrible people)

Smiley90

i'll have to find more activities to do in (south) richmond then

I mean, Steveston itself is pretty nice, you can probably spend a few hours there. Shop fish, get good fish&chips, walk around the village, there's a bog/park nearby that's pretty cool too if you have means of transportation. (Deas Island)

GG-Duo

hey guys,
gonna be in vancouver from 14th to 22nd

i generally know what i want to do:
biking/cycling, hiking, sakura/cherry blossom viewing, eating vancouver food (stuff that i cant find in toronto or is better)

but i'm completely lost on where to go, there's so many places to do all this

I'm going to be solo on some of these days, is there stuff that's good to do in vancouver alone? I think i'll be dedicating a day to the aquarium and whatever is close by
I'm thinking of another day down in richmond by the seaport to see fish being caught and unhauled (is that a thing?)

as for the bike, can a rent a bike at location A and bike it to some other location?

Food: Walk down Robson Street towards Denman. There's lots of Japanese and Korean food to try.
If it's a nice day you can rent a bike and bike around Stanley Park.

Bikes - there's a very new bikeshare program in downtown, and there are also shops that rent out bikes.

Steveston Village is OK, chill, and has a bit of fish boats and some ok restaurants,
but Granville Island is probably more enjoyable overall (crafts, food markets, street performers, brewery), but also more crowded.

However, you may just want to spend a day in Richmond trying really Chinese stuff.

Cheerilee

I'd almost think the government doesn't want my money (except for the fact that they really do want my money).

Last year I tried paying my taxes online, and the CRA website said that I had to do that at BMO, not Vancity, because BMO is equipped to pay taxes, and Vancity is not. WTF? Oh well, I have a BMO Mastercard, so I'll just go there. BMO guy is like "WTF? How is it possible that you can't pay your taxes at Vancity? I'm sure they can. Please go over there and actually try it, because it's more convenient for you to do all your banking in one place." I go to Vancity, and yeah, Vancity can pay taxes. Any bank can pay taxes. They have no idea WTF the CRA is smoking.

This year I decided to pay my taxes in person, while I drop off my forms (as I've done before). I go to the post office, and they're out of forms. I go to Service Canada, and they're out of forms (guy at Service Canada is like "WTF? How can we be out of forms? Taxes are due in a week!"). Turns out my brother didn't use his spare set of forms, so I can just use those and stuff them in a manila envelope. There's no address on a blank manila envelope, but that's okay because I know where the CRA is. It's downtown. I've done the last-second rush before.

So I go downtown to give them my brown envelope full of money and... it's not there anymore. The building is still there, but the CRA is not, and they left no sign leading to their new location. *sigh*

So I go home and check google and they've moved to Terminal, near Main. I guess the rent was cheaper. And they're open until 4:00PM, LOL government hours.

So I go there and the building is completely unmarked, and after double-checking the address I find it, along with a small crowd of irate people holding tax forms. There's a touchscreen terminal that asks you for the secret password. Secret password? WTF is this shit? Ah, let's step into the building and ask a receptionist WTF is going on. Nope. Door doesn't open. Ordinary people are not allowed into the building. According to random employees (at least, I think they're employees) being harassed as they try to enter and exit the building using their secret passwords, you can pay your taxes online, or at a bank, or go fuck yourselves. The part of CRA that used to interact with humans no longer exists.

Which makes the "open closed until 4:00PM" extra LOL. It also explains why they left no forwarding address at their old location and don't even have a friggen nameplate on the door of their new location, because they would like to be left alone.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Hmmm yeah personally I filed my tax online using one of their approved software. Easy as it gets. Can't say I am familiar with the physical way to file tax though because yeah, that sounds like a huge hassle.

NetMapel

Guys I have recently learned that the Toronto GAF group got their own discord channel. When is Vancouver GAF gonna step up? Hahaha

Thanks for the memories CanadaGAF/ ShippingGAF. I have to return to the wilderness of "no prime land"...will miss these topics. GST much less so

Firestorm

We had like two successful meetups!
Thanks for the memories CanadaGAF/ ShippingGAF. I have to return to the wilderness of "no prime land"...will miss these topics. GST much less so
This might be wrong thread but once a Vancouverite always a Vancouverite! Where are you headed next?

NetMapel

Remember to vote today y'all.

IMG_2873.jpg

Smiley90

I just had my life flash in front of my eyes because a woman with her two non-seatbelted kids (i know because I saw them basically standing/leaning far forward in the back seat) decided to ignore a 3-way stop and BLAST through it at 60km/h. I managed to break JUST in time to avoid getting T-boned into the driver side.

Some people shouldn't be allowed to drive or have kids, jesus fucking christ

Cheerilee

Haha! I have accomplished the bare minimum required for a VancouverGAF meetup. I said "Hello" to Firestorm in person. I didn't even have a reason, I just did it.

Take that, TorontoGAF!

Firestorm

Haha! I have accomplished the bare minimum required for a VancouverGAF meetup. I said "Hello" to Firestorm in person. I didn't even have a reason, I just did it.

Take that, TorontoGAF!
I mean, as much as I like to shit on Toronto, I actually have met some of TorontoGAF at a meetup back when I lived in Waterloo (think it was for FanExpo?) :p also a few of them at PAX Prime meetups (krae_man and Quadraxis multiple years)!

But yeah Toronto sucks

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
If you could pick a hotel to impress for first-time visitors, what would it be? I'm eyeing the Sheraton Wall Centre, mainly because it seems to have the highest rooms so the view should be pretty impressive

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Not worthy of its own thread, but I'm guessing a lot of BC 20-somethings must be feeling pretty ripped off right now.

One of the biggest music festivals in B.C. has been cancelled. Global News has learned that the organizers of the Pemberton Music Festival have filed for bankruptcy.

Documents obtained by Global News show there will be no automatic refunds for tickets as ”the festival is now in bankruptcy and has no ability to provide refunds for tickets purchased."

However, ticketholders may file a proof of claim form as an unsecured creditor with Ernst & Young, which is the festival's trustee in bankruptcy. However, determining if a refund is applicable will not be known for several weeks. Refunds may be available to ticketholders from third parties if tickets were purchased using a credit card.

Icolin

Banned
Second outdoor festival to go in 2 years, #feelsbad

Squamish was super rad, and set itself apart from Pemberton with its family friendly vibe.

Well, at least I have some money saved to maybe go to Coachella or Glastonbury again.

EDIT: Or even FVDED In The Park.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I miss the days of $400k 2 bedroom apartments.
We bought a 2 bedroom for 472k. There's a smaller place in our current building going for 800k+

It's fucking ridiculous.
Congrats! New West if you're close to the station isn't too bad for getting around :)
That's why we're glad to be so close to there. I didn't want to be caught in the middle of suburbia with nothing available around me.

Still... I'm going to miss downtown so fucking much.

NetMapel

I moved to Burnaby early last year because I bought a place as well. Plenty of cool things to do outside of downtown, I say :) congrats on moving out!

Firestorm

I just did the opposite and moved downtown last weekend >.> Expecting to move out of downtown once I'm comfortable with making a down payment.

Top Bottom