• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Vandal] New details about the next Nintendo console - Bigger than the Switch, but smaller than the Steam Deck; Joycons will be magnetic

Even though there hasn't been an official announcement from Nintendo themselves, we've been hearing rumors and leaks for a long time about Switch 2, the upcoming successor to the Nintendo Switch. Speculation grew at the end of last year, when Gamescom attendees claimed to have seen the new Nintendo console behind closed doors.

Today at Vandal we can share some exclusive details about the upcoming hardware from the Japanese company after hearing non-official information from manufactures that have had a first contact with Switch 2. Our colleague Rubén Mercado has been the one that has had access to these exclusive details during an accessory manufacturer fair, the same way it happened during the pre-launch period of Nintendo Switch OLED.
Some manufacturers have been able to "touch" the new Nintendo console, without the possibility of actually seeing it to avoid leaks. There are no concrete dates for its release, but they all agree that it won't release this year, even though the console is ready. This is just a strategic decision to have a better lineup, and they expect this Christmas period to be the last one for Switch, and Switch 2 to release Early 2025.

The information we've managed to get says the console is a bit bigger than the current Switch models, but still smaller than a Steam Deck. Another change is on the joy-con side, which will trade their current attachment system using rails for a magnetic system.
As of right now we don't have information on the specs of the console itself, but what we can confirm is that the current Pro Controller will be forwards compatible with Switch 2. However, it's possible that the current joycons won't be, whether for the change on how they attach to the console or if they have new functionalities.
Key points via --R on era:
  • Accessory manufacturers have been able to touch the console but not see it (i.e. the console was inside of a black box, so they could touch it but not see how it actually looks)
  • Every manufacturer agrees the console won't release this year and will release Early 2025.
  • A bit bigger than the current Switch models but nowhere close to the Steam Deck's size.
  • Joy-cons will change their attachment system from rails to a magnetic system, and the current ones won't be forwards compatible.
  • The current Pro Controller will work on Switch 2.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
quote-look-but-don-t-touch-touch-but-don-t-taste-taste-but-don-t-swallow-al-pacino-139-97-78.jpg

Hohenheim

Sounds cool. Steam deck is perfect in size for a handheld, so I hope the "nowhere near the size of a steam deck" part is a bit exaggerated.
Also, glad to hear that those shitty joycons is being left behind. Those things are absolute rubbish. Hopefully the new ones are a lot better.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
There was no fucking way it was ever going to be the same size as the existing Switch.

I’m also very skeptical about the magnetism stuff. Needs some sort of physical latch to keep it connected

kunonabi

Even bigger means it's definitely never leaving the dock especially if the magnet nonsense is true. The state of Nintendo physical hardware designs is depressing. I bet these analog sticks will rub off and drift too.

Robb

Gold Member
Joy-cons will change their attachment system from rails to a magnetic system, and the current ones won't be forwards compatible.
Attaching by magnets sounds convenient but also unreliable.. It’ll be interesting to see their solution if that’s true.

I would be surprised if the part about compatibility turned out true tbh. I get that they wouldn’t be able to attach to the new system, but I can’t see the functionality being an issue if the current Pro controller is going to work.

midnightAI

Magnetic attachment for joycons?

Yeah, I don't buy this. Switch is already quite flimsy and the joy cons move a bit. How strong the magnets need to be?
Yeh, that on its own throws these rumours right out of the window for me.

Kids+held by magnets=trouble

(Unless they can be locked in somehow but then why bother with magnets?)

BlackTron

The Switch was one of the worst ergonomically designed consoles ever. I'm tired of acting like it's not.

Who ever pretended that the joycons were not terrible? Other than you, apparently lol

Thankfully (mercifully) the "console" itself is just a tablet with rails which wasn't the most unergonomic idea in a tablet ever because it enabled me to alleviate it by using other joycons.

Gambit2483

So they are sitting on a finished console for 9+ months...this is a strange strategy. They better hope their momentum doesn't fall off a cliff and the casuals are still impressed when they finally reveal/launch.

Interfectum

Kinda crazy they are just chilling with a finished console ready to go... by the time this thing launches Steam Deck 2 is right around the corner.

StereoVsn

Attaching by magnets sounds convenient but also unreliable.. It’ll be interesting to see their solution if that’s true.

I would be surprised if the part about compatibility turned out true tbh. I get that they wouldn’t be able to attach to the new system, but I can’t see the functionality being an issue if the current Pro controller is going to work.
Should be able to get current Joycons to work wirelessly one would think.

BlackTron

Literally everyone who called the Switch good hardware.

I think most people who think the switch is "good hardware" are keenly aware of what a bitch the joycon can be. After all, playing it is how you find out. Fueling the demand for the accessory/grip/controller aftermarket. It's not exactly a niche thing, there are alternate officially licensed joycon of various shapes at Target.

I own Playstation consoles even though I absolutely can not stand the stock controller design.

Xbox has my favorite controller but the most jank consoles and software. Go figure

StereoVsn

Kinda crazy they are just chilling with a finished console ready to go... by the time this thing launches Steam Deck 2 is right around the corner.
Doubt it. Ally 2 and / or Legion Go sure, but Steam Deck 2 is probably late 2025 if that.

Plus it’s Nintendo, they don’t give a crap how outdated their hardware is.

Edit: To above, PS Dual Sense is the most comfortable stock controller ever made! That design is amazing for ergonomics.

Last edited:

Moses85

Magnetic? I trust magnets to snap shut the cover of my ebook reader, but strong enough to not drop the main unit while still allowing for easy attach and detach? No idea how that is supposed to work.
I guess Nintendo knows how to handle this BUT
I Guess Kind Of GIF by Eric Jennifer

It is not their first try to make Hardware

killatopak

I actually wish it was a bit smaller. It’s already too big for me. I have the OLED. I was hoping somewhere along lite but alas it’s not meant to be.

reezoo

I am really curious what will be the launch title ? TOTK already out, we had a recent release of Mario game, what else?

BlackTron

For some reason it's easy to see a scenario where Switch 1 remains my portable device packed with as many old games as possible and 2 stays plugged into the TV forever to play modern exclusives. Especially if it's bigger, or wackier.

Robb

Gold Member
I am really curious what will be the launch title ? TOTK already out, we had a recent release of Mario game, what else?
New 3D Mario seems like the most obvious one to me.

But I feel pretty certain they’ll try to get Mario Kart 9 out early on as well. That’d be the real juggernaut. Not to mention a cross-gen version of Metroid Prime 4.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I think most people who think the switch is "good hardware" are keenly aware of what a bitch the joycon can be. After all, playing it is how you find out. Fueling the demand for the accessory/grip/controller aftermarket. It's not exactly a niche thing, there are alternate officially licensed joycon of various shapes at Target.

I own Playstation consoles even though I absolutely can not stand the stock controller design.

Xbox has my favorite controller but the most jank consoles and software. Go figure

You could be right. I just don't hear its terrible ergonomics talked about enough. I have no idea why that monstrosity got a pass whenever it's brought up. To me, that thing is N64 level controller bad. A true embarrassment coming out of Japan.

Astray

Switch joy-cons are a complete pain to deal with if you ever put them on backwards on those small black pieces, so this is likely good news imo.

Not sure how that bodes for them using Hall Effect analog sticks tho. Those are magnetic-based too.

BlackTron

Time is rife for a new 3D Mario, an OOT remake and of course Metroid. If they launch early in the year, it could be a Switch 1 "soft launch" 1-2 punch style strategy again where we have both Mario and Zelda by the end of the year.

Before Wonder there hadn't been a new 2D Mario entry since Mario U, a 2012 game, and there hasn't been a 3D Mario since Odyssey which is 7 years old now.

3D Mario will most assuredly be the bombastic launch game...

BlackTron

You could be right. I just don't hear its terrible ergonomics talked about enough. I have no idea why that monstrosity got a pass whenever it's brought up. To me, that thing is N64 level controller bad. A true embarrassment coming out of Japan.

Okay. I always notice people on GAF bitching about them. And all my real life friends hate them. By that I mean either they hate using them, or how quickly and easily their kids ruin them. Can't remember one person ever saying they love joycon.

They aren't that bad in the included grip. Sure it's no longer a handheld at that point but at least you can use the thing out of the box without either being a small child or wanting to kill yourself. Player 4!

Ozriel

M$FT
Even bigger means it's definitely never leaving the dock especially if the magnet nonsense is true. The state of Nintendo physical hardware designs is depressing. I bet these analog sticks will rub off and drift too.

People carry their Steamdecks and ROG Ally’s around without an issue. You’ll manage

Sethbacca

I really just wish they'd make a screenless version that attaches to a tv, I used my Switch outside it's dock like once or twice. It was a complete waste to pay for an unneeded screen.

hinch7

A lot bigger is good. If not for better battery and cooling capacity.. but to actually have an ergonomic shape.

What I'm really hoping for is Hall Effect sensors in their analogues. But this is Nintendo we're talking about.

Last edited:

Woopah

3D Mario, Mario Kart 9, Pokémon Legends Z and some sort of new IP will be the launch window titles I think, alongside third party stuff.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
  • Accessory manufacturers have been able to touch the console but not see it (i.e. the console was inside of a black box, so they could touch it but not see how it actually looks)
A console glory hole. Must be a first.

For some reason it's easy to see a scenario where Switch 1 remains my portable device packed with as many old games as possible and 2 stays plugged into the TV forever to play modern exclusives. Especially if it's bigger, or wackier.

The Xbox controller is the worst of the current controllers. I can hear it from down the street and it drives me nuts.
I actually wish it was a bit smaller. It’s already too big for me. I have the OLED. I was hoping somewhere along lite but alas it’s not meant to be.
A slightly bigger (like slightly) Lite would have been the perfect handheld for me.

If Nintendo had fixed their cloud saves earlier then I would have owned both without question. A Lite that could dock would have been more perfect.

Though I was also the guy hoping for a non handheld switch model.
That’s a good point. I would have to imagine it’s the successor for Odyssey? Way too early for Zelda outside of a WW/TP port (I know it’s hopium, but I don’t care WW is the greatest Zelda game and I won’t stop hoping for it).

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Magnets make sense for quick self-alignment, not strong attachment.

Maybe the gimmick is that it's a globular screen you toss in the air and have to catch to play or something. I could see a great Mario Beach Ball game killer app based around it.

Top Bottom