• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Varia Suit Comparison: Samus Returns vs Metroid Prime

big_z

still like the snes design best. her new helmet kind of looks like a chozo beak though which is neat.

Samus's suit in the prime games looks too robotic, and the poses she shows throughout the artwork doesn't feel like there's a human in that suit

I like how Samus looks in the 2d games though, the art makes her suit look chunky and weighty enough to go on space bounty hunts with

GamerJM

Banned
I think I actually like the newer design more, but it's more stylized. It's not something I'd like to see represent Samus in, say, Smash because it's not a good representation of how I generally think of her, if that makes sense.

Eusis

No, but sakamoto wanted it to be taken very seriously.

This is even more ridiculous. Is anthony a giant?

latest
Maybe he's the guy to dwarf Wilt and Andre.

Though I'd hope that was also a younger, still growing Samus. Then he "just" has to be as tall as those two.

Zalman

I like the new colors more, but prefer the old helmet.

My favorite suit is still the Other M one though, which was also used in Smash Wii U/3DS.

Diortem7

I'm not a fan of the new design. She has this weird hunchback look. I personally don't like how they have been changing her design lately. I always liked how Nintendo kept her design consistent in the mainline series from Metroid II and onward. My favorite design of Samus is the gravity suit from Zero Mission. It's basically the classic design from Metroid 2 but with added touches from the Prime design. The Prime design, which was pretty faithful to the classic design, is a close second.

The new one is a little too edgy for me...but I do like it. The old one gives me a lot of nostalgia, but it does feel a little too similar, if that makes sense. It feels like default Samus. I guess I'll go with the old one. In the end, the new version's shoulders are too big, and I don't dig the high heels.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I never understood how Samus' arms and shoulders worked inside the Prime version - look at how narrow the waist is, then the width from armpit to armpit. She'd have to be built like a triangle.

Super Metroid had the best design.

EDIT: Ugh, the new design gives her heels. She's a bounty hunter on an alien planet, I really doubt she's concerned with making her legs seem any longer. It's one of those mini-acts of sexualisation/imposed femininity that undermines the design of women in video games.

Sevyne

I think the Prime Varia Suit is a little better, but the Samus Returns Visor and Arm Cannon are really good. Put those on the Prime Varia Suit and you'd have something amazing.

I never understood how Samus' arms and shoulders worked inside the Prime version - look at how narrow the waist is, then the width from armpit to armpit. She'd have to be built like a triangle.

I always assumed the explanation was that the suit altered her core physiology, and thus her body proportions to, among other things, maintain a full range of movement while wearing the bulky armor. After all, the design of the Morph Ball in that game already implies her suit can convert her body to pure energy, and in Fusion one of the core story points is that while she wears the suit it is completely and totally integrated into her physiology, to the point that it can only be forcibly removed via surgical processes.

I like that she's bracing her arm to stabilize her shot instead of giving her blaster a reassuring pat. The new design looks really nice to me. It feels like they took some steps forward with things like the feet, but the knees are a bit questionable to me, anatomically.

13ruce

Banned
I like the new one better actually looks more like a believeable armour tbh, and dat visor looks amazing.

And yay no more penile arm cannon.
Hopefully it's used/improved for Prime 4 aswell.

I like pretty much everything in the Prime version more, especially the material of the suit (SR's is far too shiny in that pic) and the shoulderpad detail. The only thing I like more in SR's is the cannon's color (never was a fan of green). The visor should be a middle point between them, Prime is a bit too wide aesthetically while SR is far too thin to make sense; she would only see a strip of the environment, with zero peripheral vision.

hotcyder

I love everything about it's simplified and chunky shape - though the big glowing elements and the weird piping on the arm cannon is a turn off.

The new one is higher poly, but the silhouette and proportions are kind of whack.

Still miles better than the abomination that was the Other M suit that looked more like some cheap ass cosplay with badly vacuum formed plastic and cheap metal spray paint on top.

The added contours and detail in Other M, as well as the less tacky shading made that design at least somewhat bearable.

-shadow-

Like the new visor, not a fan of the colours however. It's so ridiculously bright and shiny, same goes for the lights. I strongly prefer the Prime model and colours for the rest. Make it slightly less bulky and you'd have the perfect suit. Also the proportions of her head look really off in some of the renders.

I mean in a couple hundred years why not?

The average height is rising with greater nutrition.

I've often thought in the future human beings on average should all be in the six feet range even for women. After all improvements in science should allow base human beings to be in peak condition.

In Other M she is taller than the marines in armour, but a head shorter out of it. Basically it seems to be assuming that she's wearing giant lifts while in armour which isn't really how it was depicted in other versions where it's basically just a regular suit of armour with giant shoulder pads.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
In Other M she is taller than the marines in armour, but a head shorter out of it. Basically it seems to be assuming that she's wearing giant lifts while in armour which isn't really how it was depicted in other versions where it's basically just a regular suit of armour with giant shoulder pads.

But if we all pretend Other M doesn't exist hard enough, we might actually believe it,

For me, the new design is awesome. But there's something about the color choice that is somehow nauseating. There's a lot of yellow in the new model and it reads to me as very unappealing. Bright, saturated yellows are just kind of uncanny.

trixx

New design makes her look more agile. Maybe she'll move faster in prime. Personally I had no problems with samus' speed in prime games even though she was slow

I like the new colors more

Same also. The new suit has some other design choices I like better too like the visor and arm cannon but overall the utilitarian design of the Prime model looks more functional in extreme conditions.

There is something about the new design that I don't like.

My biggest issue with it is pretty minor, but it still bugs me to see the metal plate over her left hand and the angle her wrist is at looks like a visual illusion since the plate would seemingly dig into her wrist at that angle.

WPS

I really like the shiny materials on the new art. It reminds me of old Nintendo 64 era CGI, without actually looking as bad as things from that era tended to.

Yarbskoo

The Samus Returns Varia Suit looks kinda like something you'd see in a 90s FMV sequence.

I kinda think Prime 3 still has the sexiest Varia Suit.

GrXeE1K.jpg

Croc

Banned
I think the new one is great and very suitable for the more aggressive direction they're going with SR, however I hope they don't use it for Prime 4 as the Prime games feel the opposite of that.

Not a fan of the new design. The LED things are too lumpy, especially in contrast with the large, unbroken, curved surfaces. Can't really say the knight armor influences work for me, either. Also, the colors are way too saturated and the whole thing is too reflective/shiny.

Prime one is a bit too busy, could use a bit less detailing, but looks more appropriate for the setting.

Golnei

Metroid 2 will always be the best looking suit, both "regular" or Varia.[/IMG]

Metroid 2 was what really defined the image of Samus, in more ways than just the shoulderpads - all the future entries of the suit grew out of that in different ways; and the original can stand on its own without having to lean on retro aesthetics or nostalgia. I don't dislike the Super design, but it's interesting to look back in hindsight at how much more dated it looks compared to the variation from 2.

Lunar15

Prime 3's varía suit is legendary.

I really dig the new take, though, even if the weird black circles on the shoulder pads are strange.

I tend to think that Samus is more composed and calm, but always has that humming wire of rage in her. Either is fine to me, one suggest a more angry an vengeful Samus, the other a more composed one. Though from that perspective which game has which suit seems backwards, heh.

Leaning towards the Prime suit though.

Top Bottom