• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Varia Suit Comparison: Samus Returns vs Metroid Prime

Peltz

No, it's a brand new design, some of the designs the varia suit went through the years:

From left to right: super, prime, zero mission, other m, smash 4 (based on other m).
That Zero mission suit was not the Varia suit. That's the starting suit you have before getting the Varia suit. It's the same suit you downgrade to in the beginning of Prime after the explosion.

Varia suit in that game was more like gravity suit from that game but in red & yellow:
latest

This is the closest I could find to an official rendering of it. It's actually not far off from her Prime design.

Meffer

No, it's a brand new design, some of the designs the varia suit went through the years:

From left to right: super, prime, zero mission, other m, smash 4 (based on other m).
The middle pic is the Power Suit. It's a remake of the first game so it makes sense that suit is on display.

I'm not a fan of the new design. She has this weird hunchback look. I personally don't like how they have been changing her design lately. I always liked how Nintendo kept her design consistent in the mainline series from Metroid II and onward. My favorite design of Samus is the gravity suit from Zero Mission. It's basically the classic design from Metroid 2 but with added touches from the Prime design. The Prime design, which was pretty faithful to the classic design, is a close second.

For me, one of the most endearing aspects of Samuel's Power/Varia suits is how it changes appearance between titles. Prime Varia shit is cool but so was the Other M suit and the Zero Mission suits. I'm really digging the Samus Returns suit for doing its own thing. The visor looks badass.

Look, I'm just glad this suit doesn't show her puppies dog eyes through the visor like in Other M, OK?

13ruce

Banned
I love the look of the Samus Returns suit design alot on this Amiibo:
DCOAb2BUIAAAMxY-720x803.jpg

Better than then pic in OP but i guess that Boxart pose does help alot.

Samus Returns Varia has the cooler Visor, but Prime series Varia is still the GOAT. Thats not to say SR Varia isn't one of my favorites already.

I think the reason Samus Returns isn't as detailed is because of it being on the 3DS and they wanted the model to be identifiable and simple to view due to resolution and what not.

Also Other M Varia is the weakest design simply because it looks literally less powerful than the rest. The sleek design doesn't visualize "power" to me and the arm cannon looks like a pea shooter unlike literally every other designs arm cannon.

yuoke

Banned
That Zero mission suit was not the Varia suit. That's the starting suit you have before getting the Varia suit. It's the same suit you downgrade to in the beginning of Prime after the explosion.

Varia suit in that game was more like gravity suit from that game but in red & yellow:
latest

This is the closest I could find to an official rendering of it. It's actually not far off from her Prime design.

Except in zero mission you do get the varia suit earlier on, and it just changes the suit color like in the original game.

KingBroly

Banned
I love the look of the Samus Returns suit design alot on this Amiibo:
DCOAb2BUIAAAMxY-720x803.jpg

Better than then pic in OP but i guess that Boxart pose does help alot.

What irks me about the amiibo is that Samus' head is too small

The Arm Cannon is too 'HEY GUYS, NEON LIGHTS.' I also get the slight feeling that they're making the Arm Cannon smaller since the game's debut, but I'm not sure why

I mean in a couple hundred years why not?

The average height is rising with greater nutrition.

I've often thought in the future human beings on average should all be in the six feet range even for women. After all improvements in science should allow base human beings to be in peak condition.

The thing is, the human form can't really get that much taller than we are now and still be healthy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkzQxw16G9w

I prefer the guns, shoulders, and helmet of Prime, but the new design is great. The only thing I have a problem with is the lights on the new shoulders. That's dumb.

Peltz

Except in zero mission you do get the varia suit earlier on, and it just changes the suit color like in the original game.

Oh... maybe I am remembering incorrectly then? It's been a while

So the shoulders just come from the gravity suit?

EDIT: Ugh, the new design gives her heels. She's a bounty hunter on an alien planet, I really doubt she's concerned with making her legs seem any longer. It's one of those mini-acts of sexualisation/imposed femininity that undermines the design of women in video games.

LOL you got all this from some tiny heels that are barely noticeable

Isn't that just from Nintendo Power?
I mean, the 6'3 is also mentioned in the Metroid II manual, but I always took that as her height with the suit.

If I remember correctly, that was from the official Super Metroid guide book. I remember reading through it back then...

Wamb0wneD

I never understood how Samus' arms and shoulders worked inside the Prime version - look at how narrow the waist is, then the width from armpit to armpit. She'd have to be built like a triangle.

Super Metroid had the best design.

EDIT: Ugh, the new design gives her heels. She's a bounty hunter on an alien planet, I really doubt she's concerned with making her legs seem any longer. It's one of those mini-acts of sexualisation/imposed femininity that undermines the design of women in video games.

feb9c55c69ddc6574cb3687461a194e5--bass-shoes-guy-shoes.jpg

Such sexualized boots. Much heels. Wow.

atbigelow

I really like the joint details they've added in. I remember the details on her ankle from the Super Metroid artwork, and that was lost in the Prime models. But they've returned in SR and actually fleshed out into additional joints.

Gives it that bulkier, less refined look I like. I think the coloring is off in the SR art, but the overall suit design seems better. Arm cannon looks a bit weird though. I prefer the bulkier Prime one.

Astral Dog

I think it looks ok, the art of SAMUS Returns has a Retro vibe to it, not as good as Prime but for a handheld game its fine.

Looks Metroidish, now Prime 4 that has to look fitting if they change artists

Prax

feb9c55c69ddc6574cb3687461a194e5--bass-shoes-guy-shoes.jpg

Such sexualized boots. Much heels. Wow.

Yeah.. have none of you ever worn.. some serious steel toe boots?

1026A214-HERO

These are men's timberlands.

Having about a 1-1.5 inch heel is actually pretty comfortable when you are on your feet all the time. I prefer them because it reduces some weight-shifting work. You can also see pronounces heels on many running shoes for this reason. Having complete flats is a lot more straining to walk in for long periods of time, I find.

Having a wedgey heel with a thick sole overall is not the same thing as giving Samus stilettos or stupid Other M stilts.

As for the suit itself, I think it looks okay, though the rendering and light sources makes it overall too bright so it doesn't look as defined.

KingBroly

Banned
People don't seem to realize that the Other M heels on the Zero Suit are back in full force in this one (See: Initial demo).

Probably why her boots now have that divide. So they took a bad visual design choice and compounded it because someone has a heel fetish.

yuoke

Banned
People don't seem to realize that the Other M heels on the Zero Suit are back in full force in this one (See: Initial demo).

Probably why her boots now have that divide. So they took a bad visual design choice and compounded it because someone has a heel fetish.

I honestly didn't notice. At least we won't have to see her in cutscenes walk around in the zero suit to model around.

Wanderer5

Kind of dig the less detail look compare to prime (works for the smaller screen), but eh, something about it bugs me overall, and definitely not a fan of the visor.

I actually digged the Other M suit quite a bit for it's more sleek design, even if the arm cannon is a bit too pea shooter like.

forrest

formerly nacire
Metroid suit thread!

I'll share this gem of a suit progression from a user named Torokun over on Deviant Art. Many of you have probably seen it around, but it remains one of my favorite takes on the suit.

I love the asymmetrical shoulder design on the earlier variants as well as all of the small details. The rivets hinting at construction methods, overlapping plates in the mid section, and various mechanical details peaking out of the joints.

Dat heavy armor variant! So cool!

A would have liked to have seen arm cannon progression from this artist as well.

metroid_samus_aran_sum0sug.png

Deviant Art Page

yuoke

Banned
Metroid suit thread!

I'll share this gem of a suit progression from a user named Torokun over on Deviant Art. Many of you have probably seen it around, but it remains one of my favorite takes on the suit.

I love the asymmetrical shoulder design on the earlier variants as well as all of the small details. The rivets hinting at construction methods, overlapping plates in the mid section, and various mechanical details peaking out of the joints.

Dat heavy armor variant! So cool!

A would have liked to have seen arm cannon progression from this artist as well.

metroid_samus_aran_sum0sug.png

Deviant Art Page

I feel like they went overboard with the shoulderpads.

That Samus Returns design is probably my favorite Varia Suit of all time. It's slick, but it's also more industrial and armor-like. Those little plates of armor on the arms make a huge difference to me

Shirke

I actually prefer Samus' PED suit from Prime 3 as my favorite design. I prefer the the slimmer design with less bulky shoulder pads.

latest

The prime suit lining feels very alien sci fi to me, while the new design looks like it borrows from fantasy plate armor particularly in the arm's and leg's joint areas.

I think the difference is that one of those suits of armor is meant to protect a human being

and the other is meant to protect a human being who dislocates the joints connecting her arms and legs to her body in order to fit inside

KoopaTheCasual

This is official, so she has been 6'3 for a long time.
6GMr75j.png

Other m fucked things up though, because every guy in the game is like over a foot taller than her. If samus is 6'3 and wearing like 6 inch heels here, are you telling me adam is close to 8ft tall?

latest
I miss this depiction of Samus.

Idk why the decided to Barbi-fier her up, with bleach blonde hair and a petite frame. Actually I know exactly why they did, but I still hate it.

bumpkin

This is official, so she has been 6'3 for a long time.
6GMr75j.png

Other m fucked things up though, because every guy in the game is like over a foot taller than her. If samus is 6'3 and wearing like 6 inch heels here, are you telling me adam is close to 8ft tall?

latest
6'3"? Good lord, that's a whole lot of woman! #LegsForDays #AroundMyFace

Of those various designs over the years, I'm very partial to the Prime one. I think because it felt like that was when Metroid made its most triumphant comeback (at that time) and also proved that Metroid could work just fine in first-person.

Yeah.. have none of you ever worn.. some serious steel toe boots?

1026A214-HERO

These are men's timberlands.

Having about a 1-1.5 inch heel is actually pretty comfortable when you are on your feet all the time. I prefer them because it reduces some weight-shifting work. You can also see pronounces heels on many running shoes for this reason. Having complete flats is a lot more straining to walk in for long periods of time, I find.

Having a wedgey heel with a thick sole overall is not the same thing as giving Samus stilettos or stupid Other M stilts.

As for the suit itself, I think it looks okay, though the rendering and light sources makes it overall too bright so it doesn't look as defined.

I had to do a double take when I saw someone say she has heels in this game. Like, it just looks like she has boots.

The only gripe I have is her hand should be on her arm cannon, not her arm itself. That wouldn't help stability :p
But it's a video game :)

Top Bottom