• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Varia Suit Comparison: Samus Returns vs Metroid Prime

Toxi

Banned
I think the difference is that one of those suits of armor is meant to protect a human being

and the other is meant to protect a human being who dislocates the joints connecting her arms and legs to her body in order to fit inside
That's literally every Varia Suit. Even the Super Metroid design doesn't anatomically work outside a static pose with the articulation Samus has in the suit.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
always hated the green lights they added to the suit made it look like a cheap toy instead of cool armor nothing comes close the metroid 1,2 and super metroid

Kyle8497

I think the new Varia suit design looks great. However, you should have used the design from Prime 2/3 as the Prime reference.

HotHamBoy

Agreed, OP. I like the new visor and think it's menacing but I can't quite be sure why I prefer the older design.

I dig the little changes tho.

The proportions on the Prime render are sleeker and the colors are way better.

Like, if there was an N64 Metroid the first render is what I would expect on the box.

Yarbskoo

Holy shit, I need that figurine.
It does look great.
GlRflPT.png

But I think you might be a bit LTTP for pre-orders.

The bigger the shoulders the better.
It looks amazing in the Prime design. The new one looks alright, but I prefer the somewhat cleaner (less flashy) look.
Any design that made the shoulders smaller is trash.

Sami+

I don't like how slim she is now honestly. Bulky beefcake Samus was rad, I'd take her any day over Space Barbie. It's fine I guess but Super Metroid was the best.

Marow

Considering that Samus is on a extermination mission (genocide, one could maybe say?) where she is on the hunt for the most dangerous species in the universe, she looks like a ferocious hunter out to kill.

It fits well.

She's slick and slim, without sacrificing some of the bulky look. She looks like she can move fast and deal those melee moves with ease. And the visor seals the deal: she's here to ruin your day.

I miss this depiction of Samus.

Idk why the decided to Barbi-fier her up, with bleach blonde hair and a petite frame. Actually I know exactly why they did, but I still hate it.

The thing is she's been in a process of Barbie-ing for a long time now. Ever since the origin of the goddamn Zero Suit in Zero Mission and Prime 2. Thing is, Barbie or not, she was at least still a bad ass. Other M consummated the change by making her a whiny yet submissive crybaby with a fucking CIndy Crawford mole on her face and stupid heels integrated on her Zero Suit.

God I hope Prime 4 erases Other M from the canon or at least ignores it and gives us the badass, strong Samus we always knew she was.

Nanashrew

Banned
The thing is she's been in a process of Barbie-ing for a long time now. Ever since the origin of the goddamn Zero Suit in Zero Mission and Prime 2. Thing is, Barbie or not, she was at least still a bad ass. Other M consummated the change by making her a whiny yet submissive crybaby with a fucking CIndy Crawford mole on her face and stupid heels integrated on her Zero Suit.

God I hope Prime 4 erases Other M from the canon or at least ignores it and gives us the badass, strong Samus we always knew she was.

Why would Prime 4 erase it when Prime series has always taken place between Metroid 1 and 2? If anything the story in Returns would have things added to fit into the updated continuity.

13ruce

Banned

This is why i hope Link never ever gets a voice. Just make him emote like Wind Waker Link and call it a day.

Samus should stay quiet too. Dialoge text is fine. Voice ruined her in Other M.

Well i would accept it if Nintendo made/write better big stories (their simple ones work) and hired better voice actors but still these 2 characters should just stay silent imo.

Wamb0wneD

People don't seem to realize that the Other M heels on the Zero Suit are back in full force in this one (See: Initial demo).

Probably why her boots now have that divide. So they took a bad visual design choice and compounded it because someone has a heel fetish.

Look one post above yours. Making this about sexism or fetishes is fucking absurd. Go hiking with boots that don't have any sort of heels. Good luck.

Ezalc

The Samus Returns Varia Suit looks kinda like something you'd see in a 90s FMV sequence.

I kinda think Prime 3 still has the sexiest Varia Suit.

GrXeE1K.jpg

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK this looks amazing, I had no idea it existed. I'll buy this as soon as it becomes available.

KingBroly

Banned
Look one post above yours. Making this about sexism or fetishes is fucking absurd. Go hiking with boots that don't have any sort of heels. Good luck.

I wasn't talking about the Varia Suit in that regard. I'm giving you a reason of how one bad visual design (which the Zero Suit Heels ARE) leads to another bad visual design.

SoulUnison

Banned
It's too sleek and streamlined.
I liked the Prime interpretation of more of a bulky walking tank.

The new version looks like sci-fi space magic, whereas the Prime design looks like it actually considered how the pieces fit together and what their intended functions were.

At least it's not the Zero Suit - that thing unreasonably raises my blood pressure.
"So we have this character who's always been characterized as something of a no-nonsense amazonian space warrior. How do we update her for the 2010s?"
"Oh, let's make her a flawless blonde supermodel with a beauty mark, a laser whip, oh - and put her in high heel platform boots for no fucking reason. That's gotta be practical for an acrobat that sees frequent combat, right?"

Zero Suit Samus is the absolute nadir of pandering, blow-up doll character design.

Menitta

While we're at it, I'd like to shoutout to the most under appreciated suit:

I personally like the new art. A lot of this game seems to be going for a more classic Metroid style and it seems like they took the Prime suit and added a 90's CG look to it.

Wamb0wneD

I wasn't talking about the Varia Suit in that regard. I'm giving you a reason of how one bad visual design (which the Zero Suit Heels ARE) leads to another bad visual design.

You were talking about the demo of Samus Returns no? They aren't the same though. The ones from the Varia Suit are neither like the ones from Other M nor the Stiletto crap from Smash. They just look like cyber-hiking boots to me, perfectly fit to explore alien terrain. No idea why that's bad design that carried over from Other M, when they are nothing alike.

People don't seem to realize there is a difference between this

tumblr_inline_n3sut0pK5R1qb0ezv.jpg

And this

Wj5pS18.png

Nono Doom-Master KingBroly said they are equally bad.

While we're at it, I'd like to shoutout to the most under appreciated suit:

I personally like the new art. A lot of this game seems to be going for a more classic Metroid style and it seems like they took the Prime suit and added a 90's CG look to it.

It's just the edgiest one lol. I really like the moprh ball of that suit though.

They seem pretty set on Prime and the core Metroid series being different continuities at this point, outside of Metroid 1/Zero Mission being canon to the Prime series. :\

Personally, I was always hoping to merge everything together with a Metroid 5 in Prime style that follows Fusion's narrative while also paying off on all of the Sylux setup, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Sicne we're talking suits here, have some photo shops of the Samus Returns Varia suit by one of the AM2R artists

Gravity
https://twitter.com/sabre230_AM2R/status/875555012172161024

Phazon
https://twitter.com/sabre230_AM2R/status/875555936290562048

Dark Samus, Fusion, and Light Suit
https://twitter.com/sabre230_AM2R/status/876181715026231296

Every single one of those looks amazing.

I swear to God if they pull the Gravity Suit purple glow shit from Other M again...

Wanderer5

It does look great.
GlRflPT.png

But I think you might be a bit LTTP for pre-orders.

If I didn't have the Other M version, I would definitely look into this, but I am good with the Other M one.

And she will probably fare well in the aftermarket to get some nice discounts.

Yarbskoo

If I didn't have the Other M version, I would definitely look into this.

And she will probably fare well in the aftermarket to get some nice discounts.

I also have the Other M version, and I like it, but there's no way I was going to pass on a chance to get the superior design.

In regards to this new design vs the old design appearing in MP4, the only thing I think is essential from the old design is the wider visor. Prime games are more cinematic. I'd like to see Samus's eyes as much as possible, and I don't need her looking tough and aggressive all the time.

Yarbskoo

Meh, to me it just feels kind of redundant.:p

Heh, I've got like 47 different Link figures, I don't really have a problem with redundant.

Does the Prime 3 ver not have special effect props through? Kind of lame, since the Other M one has some nice beam effects.

No, the price/value of the figma line has steadily been getting worse, not counting the DX variations.

Still, the Prime version makes up for it by having a way cooler Arm Cannon.
OJkSlx6.png
7MER8IC.png

Wanderer5

No, the price/value of the figma line has steadily been getting worse, not counting the DX variations.

Still, the Prime version makes up for it by having a way cooler Arm Cannon.

Yeah, I pretty much don't have that much desire to dip into the figma line much, through no way I going to pass up on Pharah Figma, especially to pose with Samus.XD

And well, bit disappointing of the lack of effects, but you could use the props from the Other M version probably.

I would just like to state for the record that Samus was a huge boyhood crush of mine, and that now as an adult I somehow managed to find my lovely wife, who is 6'2"

These things must be somehow related.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The proportions on the Prime render are sleeker and the colors are way better.

Like, if there was an N64 Metroid the first render is what I would expect on the box.
Thsts more or less what they were going for with these are renders,the type of cg renders they put in magazines or cover of games from the early days, which kinda firs since they are remaking a game closer to that time period

KingBroly

Banned
You were talking about the demo of Samus Returns no? They aren't the same though. The ones from the Varia Suit are neither like the ones from Other M nor the Stiletto crap from Smash. They just look like cyber-hiking boots to me, perfectly fit to explore alien terrain. No idea why that's bad design that carried over from Other M, when they are nothing alike.

Nono Doom-Master KingBroly said they are equally bad.

It's just the edgiest one lol. I really like the moprh ball of that suit though.

I saw the demo of it and you see it at the death animation. Looked similar enough for me to continue to be disgusted by awful design. Laying the Power/Varia Suit over the Zero Suit compounds the problem because you ask 'how does that work?' In the simplest terms: It doesn't.

And I'm not a fan of the "Rocket Boots" or the "Power Bracelets" in Smash, either.

foxuzamaki

Things is other m was also the 1st to show how samus is brutally murdering alien creatures all over the place in the most badass ways which people tend to omit

foxuzamaki

They seem pretty set on Prime and the core Metroid series being different continuities at this point, outside of Metroid 1/Zero Mission being canon to the Prime series. :

Personally, I was always hoping to merge everything together with a Metroid 5 in Prime style that follows Fusion's narrative while also paying off on all of the Sylux setup, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Every single one of those looks amazing.

I swear to God if they pull the Gravity Suit purple glow shit from Other M again...
And they aren't separate for god sakes, prime 1-3 all tAke place between Metroid 1 and 2 its not really suppose to interfere with the main story but it is canon, but a side story

And they aren't separate for god sakes, prime 1-3 all tAke place between Metroid 1 and 2 its not really suppose to interfere with the main story but it is canon, but a side story

I mean yeah, that's what it was officially/originally, but Sakamoto's team seems dead-set on ignoring the existence of the Prime series. And now-a-days Tanabe seems to be continually shaping the Prime series into its own thing anyway. He's all in on that Sylux story that he's been setting up for three straight games over the last decade.

I mean yeah, that's what it was officially/originally, but Sakamoto's team seems dead-set on ignoring the existence of the Prime series. And now-a-days Tanabe seems to be continually shaping the Prime series into its own thing anyway. He's all in on that Sylux story that he's been setting up for three straight games over the last decade.

when will you change your avatar my dude?

ChrisD

I don't like how glow-y the render is. Makes the suit look lame as a whole, despite actually really liking the design.

Tone the glow down, and I love it.

Top Bottom