• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venom Movie Aiming to be R-Rated, Kick Off Spidey-Connected Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

http://collider.com/venom-movie-rat...ersocial&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

However, there’s also the previously announced Venom standalone film and its recently confirmed release date of October 5, 2018. Scripted by Dante Harper (Alien: Covenant) and produced by Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, we’re hearing that Sony is developing Venom not only as the film to launch their own Marvel Universe, but as an R-rated effort.

Let’s be clear: Sony’s Marvel Universe will not be connected to the MCU in any way (sorry, Guardians of the Galaxy fans, but a Venom crossover is highly dubious) and the planned Venom and Black Cat and Silver Sable films are all part of Sony’s own shared universe, not spin-offs of any existing films. Marvel’s Kevin Feige has nothing to do with these films; it’s Tom Rothman, chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment’s Motion Picture Group, who’s calling the shots. The announcement of Venom‘s release date tells us that the execs are happy with the script and the new direction they’re embarking on, but with no director set for either film, obviously things can still change since all of the announced films are still in development.

SpaceWolf

Banned
First off, fuck off Sony...no-one wants this.

Secondly, how can it be considered a Spidey-connected universe without Spiderman?

IDGI. It's not connected to the MCU, meaning what? Spiderman is not in these movies? It's another Spiderman? Andrew Garfield? This is confusing as hell

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
qacR5wB.gif

JimiNutz

Banned
I'd have a lot more faith in these if Marvel was involved in some way...Why can't they partner with Marvel for the Spider-verse are Marvel not interested or are Sony being stubborn?

DrArchon

If Spider-Man isn't a part of this, I have to assume they're skipping straight to "Venom the antihero", which means I probably won't be seeing this. Venom the antihero was never as interesting to me as Venom the Spider-Man antagonist.

Penguin

First off, fuck off Sony...no-one wants this.

Secondly, how can it be considered a Spidey-connected universe without Spiderman?

A spider-man connected universe...without spider-man?

Maybe the Amazing Spider-Man franchise isn't actually dead? Otherwise this makes zero sense.

Why is it without Spider-man?

Sony still has the rights to the character... so he can appear in these movies

Maybe the Amazing Spider-Man franchise isn't actually dead? Otherwise this makes zero sense.

It says that they aren't connected with the MCU but nothing about Spider-Man. Maybe they are connected with the new Spider-Man but not the MCU, maybe like:

Tom Holland Spider-Man can interact with Venom/Black Cat/Silver Sable

Tom Holland Spider-Man can interact with Iron Man/Thor/Etc

but Venom/Black Cat/Silver Sable can't interact with the MCU

The fact that this exists is almost hilarious. Venom is a great property and the IP is worth a lot. It can be used in some fantastic ways. This is the worst of them. Should get Marvel on board so it can be a part of the universe and therefore used more.

This is not a Spidey-verse. It's a Venom-verse. And that can't stand alone.

Alienfan

I don't know, a Venom movie with horror elements and without Spider lame sounds more interesting to me than the usual Marvel spin offs. I'm confused as to why people don't think it can work, the current "lets chuck everything into the same universe" is getting ridiculous anyway, having separate universes for Marvel movies might be a positive change

Sulik2

It says that they aren't connected with the MCU but nothing about Spider-Man. Maybe they are connected with the new Spider-Man but not the MCU, maybe like:

You are probably right, but this would be so insanely confusing to the audience it would take an incredibly stupid movie studio to think it was a good idea. They should use amazing or a new Spidey to exist in these films. Then again Sony studios really is that dumb.

I guess I'm not super clear on the rights...but it's telling that none of the movies they are planning for the spidey universe is a Spider-Man movie. If they have the freedom to use him I'd think they'd want to bank on their spidey universe movies with a sure thing in there somewhere.

SpaceWolf

Banned

Because Spiderman exists in the MCU now. If the character existed in this new "SONY-VERSE", it would cause a complete headache for Marvel Studios in regards to having to keep track of all of Sony's new Spider projects ("Venom: The First Symbiote", "Black Cat", "Aunt May: Superspy", etc) in regards to overseeing the internal continuity of their movies continues to run smoothly.

Could it work? Disney-Marvel already releases some dark stuff with the Netflix line of Marvel shows while not having problems with continuing their family safe movies. Fox juggles R rated entries based on a PG-13 franchise (X-men)

Are we underestimating the audience's ability to understand that these franchises offer family-friendly options with rougher, optional entries available as well?

mjc

This is gonna make things real confusing for movie goers, in terms of which characters are interacting and which ones aren't. What a mess.

LosDaddie

Banned
R rated Spider-man universe?

Spider-Man?!?

Sony....get your head out of your ass. No wonder why Sony relies more and more on their gaming division.

Viewt

Ahh, Tom Rothman, now it makes sense. He was the chucklehead who ran the X-Men series into the ground while he was at Fox. As per usual, though, these guys tend to fail upwards.

But yeah, this makes no sense. Either Spider-Man will be related to these films, in which case there's going to be a weird disconnect where Tom Holland is featured, but nothing from his MCU appearances will factor in, or he's not featured at all, at which point, people are gonna wonder where the hell Spider-Man is.

It just seems ill-advised.

Penguin

Because Spiderman exists in the MCU now. If the character existed in this new "SONY-VERSE", it would cause a complete headache for Marvel Studios in regards to having to keep track of all of Sony's new Spider projects ("Venom: The First Symbiote", "Black Cat", "Aunt May: Superspy", etc) in regards to overseeing the internal continuity of their movies continues to run smoothly.

But that was part of the deal, Marvel knew what they were signing up for when they made it...

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/details-spider-man-appear-in-sony-and-marvel-movies-1201429039/

Slaythe

It's still absolute vomit.

"Oh god I'm literally a phone call away from getting avengers help me against this other worldly foe, but nah let's go try to punch him instead !".

And if they do it without spiderman, yeah awesome, gonna be fantastic, giving Venom all of Spiderman's powers because... reasons ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom