• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venom Movie Aiming to be R-Rated, Kick Off Spidey-Connected Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

PixelatedBookake

Sony is trying to hop on the R-Rated Superhero movie wave with Venom? And no Spider-Man? This won't work. Spider-Man 3 was a decade ago the movie going audience doesn't remember or care about Venom.

You are probably right, but this would be so insanely confusing to the audience it would take an incredibly stupid movie studio to think it was a good idea. They should use amazing or a new Spidey to exist in these films. Then again Sony studios really is that dumb.

I don't think it would be that confusing. Spider-Man's villains and supporting cast are pretty street level and not really necessary to ever bring up when he's with the Avengers. It's the same as the Avengers never fighting Venom or Doc Ock in the comics. Those characters almost exclusively stay in the Spider-Man corner.

Slaythe

Because Spiderman exists in the MCU now. If the character existed in this new "SONY-VERSE", it would cause a complete headache for Marvel Studios in regards to having to keep track of all of Sony's new Spider projects ("Venom: The First Symbiote", "Black Cat", "Aunt May: Superspy", etc) in regards to overseeing the internal continuity of their movies continues to run smoothly.

A... Aunt may what ?

Ok Sony you need to fuck off.

That's it.

If Spider-Man isn't a part of this, I have to assume they're skipping straight to "Venom the antihero", which means I probably won't be seeing this. Venom the antihero was never as interesting to me as Venom the Spider-Man antagonist.

The problem with Venom being an antagonist is that he's always been a one-note villain.

JCG

Unless they really have a bigger plan in mind that connects all the dots, this doesn't sound like a great move on paper.

TheOddOne

produced by Avi Arad
byef3ydo.gif

Aceun

This sounds like the dumbest reactionary thing I've ever heard.

We don't need a whole new crop of R rated movies.

We don't need a Venom movie, especially if Spider-man isn't in it.

No one wants this. Stahp Sony.

Why can't they make these films using the same deal with Marvel? This will confuse the fuck out of casual audiences.

I doubt casual audiences even care about continuity.

Fox is able to fuck their continuity continuously and gets away with it every time.

Because Spiderman exists in the MCU now. If the character existed in this new "SONY-VERSE", it would cause a complete headache for Marvel Studios in regards to having to keep track of all of Sony's new Spider projects ("Venom: The First Symbiote", "Black Cat", "Aunt May: Superspy", etc) in regards to overseeing the internal continuity of their movies continues to run smoothly.
Can't see in this article where it mentions Sony getting to make Spiderman related Spin-offs set within the MCU. Apologies if I'm overlooking something?

Only fans care about the "MCU" concept to that degree. So what if Tom Holland appears in a Sonyverse featuring Venom? Feige doesn't seem to care what Marvel TV does with half of his universe, why would he care about what Sony does with their own property?

I find it kind of funny that Marvel Comics are currently hyping up a big Venom related event for later this year:

They must've known this would happen and are trying to grab some of the publicity.

Busty

Banned
Never mind about all this separate cineverse talk, IF, and that's a fucking big IF, these films do work you can bet that Sony will find a way to cross them over with the Homecoming Spider-Man films.

No doubt in my mind.

I was on board and intrigued on the idea of an MCU movie being R-rated until I read it was going to be its own separate universe? How the hell would that even work? And how the fuck do they expect it not to be confusing as hell to casual audiences? Hell, I'm confused and Im a big nerd! Isn't Spiderman already in the MCU? How can you take elements from his stories and make up your own without Spiderman?

So many questions

Penguin

Can't see in this article where it mentions Sony getting to make Spiderman related Spin-offs set within the MCU. Apologies if I'm overlooking something?

They won't be set in the MCU, but they'll exist with the same Spider-man

So sony can do Spider-man movies with Holland which they are with Homecoming and use that universe in their spin-offs. While the same Spider-man, Holland appears in Civil Wars and the next Avengers movie.

Schlorgan

So sony can do Spider-man movies with Holland which they are with Homecoming and use that universe in their spin-offs. While the same Spider-man, Holland appears in Civil Wars and the next Avengers movie.
This won't be confusing to the general public at all...

If you center the stories around Spidey's supporting characters, in theory you can have Spider-Man without Peter Parker. There's a slim chance it could work. Something like Superior Foes could work. Although you run into whether you can use Shocker if he's appearing in Homecoming. And vice versa with Chameleon showing up in the MCU.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Naturally, fans are curious as to whether the new spin-offs will have anything to do with the MCU or not. However, according to Borys Kit, it does not look like the two projects will trace back to Marvel's expansive world.

Taking to Twitter, Kit answered a fan question about the Spider-Verse features that has some feeling a bit down. As a writer for The Hollywood Reporter, the journalist was asked if the spin-offs are part of the MCU since Kit was the one to exclusively break news about Sony's newest movie. Here is what Kit had to say:

These movies are NOT part of the MCU. Kevin Feige NOT involved."

Source.

Says who?

I'm only slightly looking forward to this possible universe cuz Sony right now is in desperation mode which means we could get a 2099 movie or Spider-Gwen or Miles Morales.

Feige is not giving us any of them so Sony is pretty much our only hope.

The thing is that they could easily just introduce these characters into the MCU Spider-Verse but ultimately they want the money from this so, fine. Alexandra Daddario as Black Cat though? Please?

Venom fucks me off because I wanted Agent Venom as an MCU character at some point. It'd be interesting having a Winter Soldier (but an Anti-Hero) kind of character that we can draw out for a bit.

This sounds stupid as hell lol..

Vanish

As a huge Spider-Man fan, this is so freaking stupid. I wish Sony would just let Marvel handle all the Spider-Man related stuff.

Yea this doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense. Should of worked a deal with marvel and made it part it part of the MCU somehow.

Also I'm curious how this would affect MCU Spider-Man. Like if they wanted to do Venom over there at some point, is it just a whole separate thing? Wouldn't that be a bit confusing?

A Venom movie. Tim Rothman, what have you done?
What's next, Cyberforce?
I'd see it.

I'm currently high and giggling hysterically at the idea of an Aunt May SuperSpy movie.

No joke.

In the fucked-up timeline we now live in, we'll absolutely get Mark Millar's Trouble one day. Right after the NC-17 Carnage movie.

Kyzer

Banned
It's still absolute vomit.

"Oh god I'm literally a phone call away from getting avengers help me against this other worldly foe, but nah let's go try to punch him instead !".

And if they do it without spiderman, yeah awesome, gonna be fantastic, giving Venom all of Spiderman's powers because... reasons ?

This is already true for almost all movies in some way or another anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom