• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venom Movie Aiming to be R-Rated, Kick Off Spidey-Connected Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

aadiboy

I'm seeing no indication that Tom Holland Spider-man can't be in any of these movies. It seems like Sony can put him in these movies if they want, they just can't reference the MCU.

Keeping them wholly unrelated to Homecoming (or never acknowledged in the MCU/never treated as canon) is a weird call. Makes more sense (for both sides) to expand the deal with Marvel, IMO. Makes me wonder whether this is a negotiating tactic.

Sojgat

Do they have the rights to Solo?

If so, why aren't they doing a fucking Solo movie?

Leaving money on the table SMH

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Keeping them wholly unrelated to Homecoming (or never acknowledged in the MCU/never treated as canon) is a weird call. Makes more sense (for both sides) to expand the deal with Marvel, IMO. Makes me wonder whether this is a negotiating tactic.

Well, you see, one of the (alleged) stipulations for Sony working with Marvel Studios was that Avi Arad couldn't get near any of the MCU productions. Since this whole thing seems like an Avi Arad joint, this project's very existence means it could never be part of the Marvel deal.

Why don't they want to connect it to the MCU already in place?

The MCU has a minimum quality stipulation of "inoffensive".

ash_ag

I'm assuming these movies are going to be to Spider-Man Homecoming what Agents of SHIELD is to the rest of the MCU.

You think they're going to be completely canon to MCU, throw occasional references to other material in the franchise, and have characters introduced elsewhere drop into the story every now and then?

Sesha

Sony really doesn't get it. They're on the highway to irrelevance.

Tom Rothman, chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment's Motion Picture Group, who's calling the shots

That explains it. He probably has Avi Arad on speed dial too.

venom2124

An r rated Eddie Brock venom movie is literally a dream come true for me, but it's a waste if he is not built up and a major villain in a mainline Spider-Man movie first. I would kill to have his original storyline on film where he his obsessed and is stalking spidey, mj, and even shows up at aunt may's door. I just can't see how a venom movie can make sense without Spider-Man as a catalyst.

Not

Banned
This is the studio that wanted to adapt Trouble and was going to create a cinematic universe culminating in Carnage getting his own movie.

Who the fuck is running Sony? Maybe when Homecoming makes more money than they ever dreamed they'll let Marvel run the show for good.

(Ha.)

Kind of seems odd. I don't quite understand how it is possible to have the "venom" character without first joining with spider-man. It literally makes 0 sense.
He should come way later when Spider-man is better equipped to handle him like he was originally. Even though he was basically out matched in every
possible way initially.

Sesha

This is the studio that wanted to adapt Trouble and was going to create a cinematic universe culminating in Carnage getting his own movie.

Who the fuck is running Sony? Maybe when Homecoming makes more money than they ever dreamed they'll let Marvel run the show for good.

(Ha.)

Tom Rothman, the guy who at Fox wanted Die Hard 4 to be PG-13, blocked Deadpool from happening, said no Sentinels in X-Men 3, and no to a Cameron/Scott written/directed Alien 5.

Let me ask the important question...

Is Venom gonna be frail as fuck like SM3?

I mean, come on, Venom should be bench pressing trucks not weigh 100 lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom