• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venom Movie Aiming to be R-Rated, Kick Off Spidey-Connected Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelsdesu

How on earth a Venom movie is supposed to work without Spider-Man is beyond me.

I am scratching my head as well.

images

Because this shit is MANDATORY.

Everything surrounding the project is fucked except for this.

A Venom movie needs to be rated R to work, thankfully they're gunning for the right stuff.

Because Marvel can say it's not canon within the MCU. Just because a character shows up in two media doesn't mean they take place in the same universe.

Sony can call their version of the universe a "Spider-Man Universe" or whatever, but if their interpretation of this is not officially recognized by Marvel then it means jack shit for the MCU.
well then fuck that shit.
In your headcanon they can be. But Sony won't be able to claim that, legally, unless they'll make another deal in the future.

Just like how, legally, the Marvel TV stuff can be said to be part of the MCU, although they might as well not be given that it's looking unlikely that the movies will acknowledge them anytime soon. Different studios, both still under Disney.
fuck my head canon. the only canon that matters is the official canon.

marvel TV is different. that shit is officially MCU status.

I am scratching my head as well.

Because this shit is MANDATORY.

It wasn't that great of a storyline. And without a married Spider-Man it takes away much of the drama.

The Venom - Spider-Man conflict was always overblown anyway. Venom fought with Spidey like twice (and was never really a serious threat) before Carnage came about and they teamed up to fight him off in Maximum Carnage. And then Venom started getting his own (mini-)series and became an anti-hero.

Kelsdesu

It wasn't that great of a storyline. And without a married Spider-Man it takes away much of the drama.

The Venom - Spider-Man conflict was always overblown anyway. Venom fought with Spidey like twice (and was never really a serious threat) before Carnage came about and they teamed up to fight him off in Maximum Carnage. And then Venom started getting his own series and became an anti-hero.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to see this until he is older. Venom wouldn't work with a young Peter and I happen to like that story.

The very premise that Venom was immune to spider senses made this the perfect villain. This couldve made for a good spoder man sequel with a horror feel to it.

The very premise that Venom was immune to spider senses made this the perfect villain. This couldve made for a good spoder man sequel with a horror feel to it.

For sure - even the original storyline would have been much more powerful with that angle. The fact that Venom knew Spider-Man's identity, can easily threaten his family, can evade his spider-sense, can shapeshift and has all of Spider's powers except more powerful - he could be a tremendous threat and cause quite some damage.

But for some reason the comic book writers never made him quite the threat that he could be.

When I hear something suggested like "these movies and MCU will both overlap with Homecoming, but not each other", it sounds to me like someone trying to argue "it's not infidelity because when I slept with that woman it wasn't a canon part of our marriage".

Sony is going to poison the Spidey well after finally getting him into the best possible situation, for them and Disney. They're idiots.

Disney should call them on this bs. An R rated movie doesn't fit in their movie franchise and call it a breach of contract.
Pull Spidey out of Infinity War, Remove all Iron Man scenes from homecoming and order all future showings of Civil War to have Spidey Edited out.

You fight stupidity with stupidity.

kai3345

Banned
Disney should call them on this bs. An R rated movie doesn't fit in their movie franchise and call it a breach of contract.
Pull Spidey out of Infinity War, Remove all Iron Man scenes from homecoming and order all future showings of Civil War to have Spidey Edited out.

haha what?

PixelatedBookake

There was a recent Carnage run which was framed as a horror/survival type situation in a cave if I remember correctly. I think that might work better than Venom.

Fuck all of yall negative asses
you're all probably right

Venom is the best character in all of Marvel

Give me an R rated Venom movie that doesn't star Eric fucking Foremam as Venom and I'm happy :)

How would the symbiote get its spiderman traits without spiderman?

How does Peter Parker become Spider-Man without the radioactive spider and Uncle Ben?

How would Danny Rand get the Iron Fist without Shou Lao the Dragon?

You just leave it as some offscreen backstory. lol.

It's not like we haven't seen that shit onscreen before.

kswiston

The Symbiote is an alien. I don't see why you need to go through all the black suit stuff with Spider-man to get to the same result.

Edit: Especially if you are going the anti-hero route.

I honestly don't understand how the same executive team - well, mostly - who signed off firstly on MCU Spidey and then the animated Spidey film with Lord/Miller think it's still a good idea to go down this road.

I mean, money? But I don't think Venom is going to get the money flowing in in the year of our lord 2017. The Black Cat/Silver Sable film sounded better than this (and only because they could at least attach that to the MCU if they felt like it).

Metalmarc

Venom vs Carnage? Do it

image.png

Bring in th other Symbiotes
Toxin
Anti Venom

Or how about

Set it in the future, Venom 2099 then you Can have Spider-Man (Miguel O'Hara? Eh eh what ya think Gaf?)

image.jpg

Fox Mulder

A shame Disney just can't buy or lawyer back the entire film rights to spiderman. Sony fucking sucks and I expect they'll fuck up the goodwill from the MCU.

i'll agree with you on the fighting stupidity an disney calling em out, but the Netflix shows are an inclusion of the movie franchise, all within the MCU so being R rated would still fit.

though, that's not the point...

PR_rambo

Banned
So how is Venom going to even exist? The symbiote just going to be like "Meh, spider powers would be pretty neat" or what?

And I assume now we are never getting Venom/Black Cat/Silver Sable in the MCU now either?

Patriots7

Some of you are ridiculous.

We know nothing about this. Why speculate on unsubstantiated rumors.

Sony is a $45bn company with a fiduciary duty to make money for their shareholders. Since every other movie studio is clamoring to make everything into a Universe, why should they not do the same?

If Fox could rebound and start making great X-men movies, why can't Sony do the same?

SpaceWolf

Banned

Sony is a $45bn company with a fiduciary duty to make money for their shareholders. Since every other movie studio is clamoring to make everything into a Universe, why should they not do the same?

Because Sony have already tried that.

94963263033a4c282ac49692efb854f779df3df2f051811611f0584ccf227e66.jpg

The results were not impressive.

Good, the MCU universe is too kiddy and safe. Venom needs to be sinister, horrifying, and evil. Venom does not belong in those PG Spiderman movies Marvel is working on.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Almost as stupid as Marvel TV doing all sorts of crazy things within the MCU and getting completely ignored by Feige?

Casuals don't care.

No, it's nothing like that at all actually. The movies clearly have a much higher profile and a larger number of people who would watch it.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. having Inhumans, which aren't mentioned in the movies, is not confusing to the movie audience.

Having Spider-Man in the MCU movies while having Spider-Man spin-off movies that aren't in that universe? That's ridiculously silly and possibly confusing to a general audience.

Not the same thing at all.

If Fox could rebound and start making great X-men movies, why can't Sony do the same?

Sony has not proven they can do so, at this point. Their best Spider-Man project is 13 years old. The last time they tried to build out a universe this quickly, the actual films suffered for it. Their slate of recent films does not engender any sort of excitement, when even the best films of 2016 are just "okay":

• Passengers
  • Inferno
  • The Magnificent Seven
  • Sausage Party
  • Ghostbusters
  • The Shallows
  • Angry Birds
  • Money Monster
  • The Brothers Grimsby
  • The 5th Wave
Could they turn out well? Sure. But acting like the general feeling of derision from the rumor is somehow out of line seems odd. There's nothing wrong with a cinematic universe. There's nothing wrong with an R-Rated Venom film. The worry is that in the rush to get there, they won't build compelling films and the primary reason for that worry is that they've made the mistake before.

Really hoping this movie is dope..Venom is one of my favs. Yeah, this will probably suck though. Like someone else said...how are they going to give him the Spiderman-like abilities without him bonding to Spiderman first?

Blader

Good, the MCU universe is too kiddy and safe. Venom needs to be sinister, horrifying, and evil. Venom does not belong in those PG Spiderman movies Marvel is working on.

He seems to have fared pretty well in decades of PG Spider-Man comics.

It's probably not a coincidence that Fox revitalized its X-Men movies once Tom Rothman had left the studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom