• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venom Movie Aiming to be R-Rated, Kick Off Spidey-Connected Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
So turns out Vulture and Shocker are like the highest caliber Spider-man supporting cast members that are going to show up in the MCU Spider-man films then. Anyone else halfway interesting will be tied up in awful Sony spinoffs, likely with no Spider-man in sight. Hooray.

Afrodium

Banned
Having two separate cinematic universes that have the same central character played by the same actor with at least one overlapping film sounds super messy. The only way to do this neatly relies on characters not overlapping between universes, at which point they basically function as one universe anyway.

SpaceWolf

Banned
So turns out Vulture and Shocker are like the highest caliber Spider-man supporting cast members that are going to show up in the MCU Spider-man films then. Anyone else halfway interesting will be tied up in awful Sony spinoffs, likely with no Spider-man in sight. Hooray.

All Halfway Interesting Spiderman Characters = Venom and Carnage?

All Halfway Interesting Spiderman Characters = Venom and Carnage?
No, I'm just saying that Sony's not just going to be pushing a Venom movie forward, they've got an entire cinematic universe they apparently want to happen. We already know they are looking into Black Cat and Silver Sable, it just makes you wonder who else they've got plans for to fill this awful Spider-manless Spider-man universe. Kinda puts a damper on any excitement I had so far for future MCU Spider-man sequels to see that they have an ugly weight like this potentially constraining them.

This won't be confusing to the general public at all...

The Xmen movie universe is a timeline garbage fire and Logan still just set the world on fire. I don't think the general public cares all that much. If you make a good, compelling movie with characters they know people will show up.

No, I'm just saying that Sony's not just going to be pushing a Venom movie forward, they've got an entire cinematic universe they apparently want to happen. We already know they are looking into Black Cat and Silver Sable, it just makes you wonder who else they've got plans for to fill this awful Spider-manless Spider-man universe.

A show like The Newsroom but with the Daily Bugle

Pizza

Now don't get me wrong, this sounds awful, but if Loki got his own film would it be imperative to mention captain America or the hulk?

"Avengers being a phone call away" doesn't work in the comics because they're so busy or have way bigger problems to handle

If avengers tower was in the background and Tom holland was only around to make venom happen early on, does black widow neeeed to show up?

The avengers was going to have oscorp tower from amazing Spider-Man at some point, if venom is an anti hero or something him only interacting with Spider-Man characters isn't that bad

At one point in the comics, the avengers managed to believe doctor octopus aiming mirrors at the earth couldn't go wrong, so it's not like these people have a history of interacting a lot

Schlorgan

The Xmen movie universe is a timeline garbage fire and Logan still just set the world on fire. I don't think the general public cares all that much. If you make a good, compelling movie with characters they know people will show up.

With the people in charge of this film, I don't have a lot of confidence.

opricnik

Banned
Sony cant use Tom Holland Spider Man without permissions from Marvel.

Marvel cast all of the cast and contracts for them not Sony.

But theorically they could use a Spiderman CGI ? for movie if they are gonna have Peter around

O_Atoll

If this was an idea from Marvel, GAF would rejoice. I can understand why though. But give Sony another chance. Venom as his own character can be pulled off because he is another character and can be a sort of antihero at times. It can be about Brocks struggle after turning into Venom and keeping his humanity instead of just killing everyone around him.

I would like this film to be filled with horror, suspense and action. It would be very interesting if they could make it work with Venom as the main character, without making the film be campy.

Schlorgan

If this was an idea from Marvel, GAF would rejoice. I can understand why though. But give Sony another chance. Venom as his own character can be pulled off because he is another character and can be a sort of antihero at times. It can be about Brocks struggle after turning into Venom and keeping his humanity instead of just killing everyone around him.

I don't know that Sony deserves another chance when it comes to Spider-Man films, especially when it's Avi Arad in charge.

venomdoeswhathewants.jpg

And we just got his origin movie out of the way this weekend.

so Venom was that thing in the movie Life!

Fury451

Banned

They should just make Agent Venom to be honest.

RalchAC

Having two separate cinematic universes that have the same central character played by the same actor with at least one overlapping film sounds super messy. The only way to do this neatly relies on characters not overlapping between universes, at which point they basically function as one universe anyway.

Couldn't it be something like how Marvel TV shows basically work? They give some nods to the MCU, but it never goes the other way around.

ZeoVGM

Banned
If this was an idea from Marvel, GAF would rejoice. I can understand why though.

... You do realize if this was an idea from Marvel, the main problem with the idea would no longer exist, right?

(Also, Marvel simply wouldn't be planning a spin-off for Venom if they had full rights to Spider-Man. At all. So your what if scenario doesn't even make sense.)

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Sucks that it's not connected to the MCU, but R Rated Venom movie sounds AWESOME!!! Can't wait, definitely more excited about this than Homecoming :)

O_Atoll

I don't know that Sony deserves another chance when it comes to Spider-Man films, especially when it's Avi Arad in charge.
I understand. After the last spiderman movie it's hard as hell to trust them with anything spiderman related except the game.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

nah, having Avi Arad and Rothman anywhere near the MCU (even tangentially) is a terrible idea

i hope Marvel makes it clear to casual viewers that this is not an MCU movie

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Sucks that it's not connected to the MCU, but R Rated Venom movie sounds AWESOME!!! Can't wait, definitely more excited about this than Homecoming :)

have you seen spiderman 3?

O_Atoll

... You do realize if this was an idea from Marvel, the main problem with the idea would no longer exist, right?

(Also, Marvel simply wouldn't be planning a spin-off for Venom if they had full rights to Spider-Man. At all. So your what if scenario doesn't even make sense.)
Sony knows that they suck with spiderman but does not want to give the whole spiderman universe to marvel. they want to try their hand at venom and if it works, they will do other characters from the spiderman universe.

O_Atoll

nah, having Avi Arad and Rothman anywhere near the MCU (even tangentially) is a terrible idea

i hope Marvel makes it clear to casual viewers that this is not an MCU movie

have you seen spiderman 3?
I was trying to be positive but the last spiderman movie kept flashing in my mind..

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I was trying to be positive but the last spiderman movie kept flashing in my mind..

i have no faith in Sony, and this is just going to poison the well for whatever characters they use.

its' a shame - black cat would have been a cool love triangle to throw in a later MCU movie.

LosDaddie

Banned

Marvel knows better than to even entertain the notion of an R rated Spider-Man film.

If The Emoji Movie doesn't give credence to Sony giving Sony Pictures' current state of management a much-needed mercy bullet, this attempt of Sony yet again wanting to have their cake and eat it certainly will.

A Spider-Man CU without Spider-Man or Marvel Studios, spearheaded by Rothman and Arad. That's all the facts you need to know this is a trainwreck in the making.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Sony knows that they suck with spiderman but does not want to give the whole spiderman universe to marvel. they want to try their hand at venom and if it works, they will do other characters from the spiderman universe.

That... wasn't a response to what I said. Haha.

antonz

Sony is desperate to make money with their film division so they will try to do everything they can with the Spider-Man franchise. Marvel should have played hardball and got Spider-Man completely back from Sony instead of this shit.

All this can do really is damage the Spider-Man brand that Marvel is trying to benefit with its joint effort.

Aceun

Honestly, I agree. They should just make a Spider-Gwen movie. If they want to include the Earth-65 villains or even dimension hopping 616 characters, fine.

This shared but not shared on a character basis is SO dumb.

longdi

Banned
Kaz should sell away Sony pictures, they are worst division making the worst decisions, resulting in worst movies. Has there been a good movie from Sony pictures in recent years?

Fuck Sony pictures, stop leeching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom