• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Venom' (With Tom Hardy) takes place in the spider-man homecoming universe (MCU)

SpaceWolf

Banned
Oh no... what an ill thought idea..

Wasn't really talking about the physical aspect, I was more referencing the age-difference and the established difference in temperaments between both actors. I'm aware Brock is typically depicted as the far more physically imposing of the two in the comics.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oh, yes. I love Daredevil Season 1. Season 2 and AoS S4? Not so much.

For me, the amount of darkness and grittiness that DD S1 should be a baseline for the entirety of the MCU, not the height of it. That's the tone I want out of every Marvel movie! So I hope that Venom scratches that itch and sets a precedent for more MCU films like it!
Thank god this is not happening

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Oh, yes. I love Daredevil Season 1. Season 2 and AoS S4? Not so much.

For me, the amount of darkness and grittiness that DD S1 should be a baseline for the entirety of the MCU, not the height of it. That's the tone I want out of every Marvel movie! So I hope that Venom scratches that itch and sets a precedent for more MCU films like it!

ah unfortunately Venom isn't going to be in the MCU proper, so it can't really 'scratch the itch' for a dark MCU movie

we have to remember Disney is the company behind the MCU, and they make family friendly films. Civil War is about as 'dark' as we're likely to get

Are you talking about the thing with the long tongues and the teeths? That was not McFarlane, his design was redone after two, three appearences of Venom.

Well this stuff specifically

16463143_656210204562047_2590852820659005978_o.jpg

16665358_656766377839763_1133879531706004885_o.jpg

16602397_656210194562048_2631782166246080711_o.jpg

16836357_663186240531110_8797351476732725504_o.jpg

There's more thats just what I have to hand. The last one isn't Venom related, but it is ugly.

Wasn't really talking about the physical aspect, I was more referencing the age-difference and the established difference in temperaments between both actors. I'm aware Brock is supposed to be muscular.
He's going to feel like a Scooby Doo villain. A 40 year old hating a 15 year old with all his heart.

SpaceWolf

Banned
This Sony deal has to be turning into such a headache for Marvel Studios.

The question is basically whether now they're going to have to actively supervise this Venom film as an in-house project at Sony that's taking place in the MCU. If not, Sony basically can choose to do what they like within the MCU with these particular films without Marvel's say, which is totally going to ruin Marvel's studious approach to continuity, as well as the way all their creatives like to closely collaborate with each other to make sure none of their individual stories end up contradicting something else within the universe.

It's basically like a group of children playing with their Marvel action figures in a carefully constructed play-time scenario, and then the weird kid from next door turning up with their Venom doll and being all like "I WANNA PLAY! SO LIKE, MY VENOM TURNS UP AND THEN..." and the rest of the kids all rolling their eyes and trying their best to be accommodating, but really wishing the kid would just go away and stop ruining things for everyone else.

They'll make him an anti-hero, he won't be a villain in this movie. Bet on it.

I think so, too. Since I hear they're going for R, I imagine Sony's Venom will basically be the Punisher.

They might even abandon the whole Spidey revenge angle in favor of something more like 'wronged man gets superpowers and decides to take justice into his own hands.' This interpretation would lend itself well to a version partially inspired by Agent Venom as well.
Him and Spidey's conflict could become disagreement about choices/methods, with Peter feeling responsible for stopping him because of the symbiote's origins. That is if he appears in the movie at all.

That way, you don't have a 40 year old man crazy about revenge against a 15 year old kid. You have a stubborn violent man trying to take care of business for his own reasons while the kid, feeling responsible for the power he accidentally gave him, trying to do damage control and butting heads in the process. Great opportunity to work in the "with great power" quote. It could work. But it's Sony, so...we'll see. Hopes up.

Thank god this is not happening

ah unfortunately Venom isn't going to be in the MCU proper, so it can't really 'scratch the itch' for a dark MCU movie

we have to remember Disney is the company behind the MCU, and they make family friendly films. Civil War is about as 'dark' as we're likely to get
Yeah, it's unlikely. But I can dream! And at least I have DC movies ^^

Oh and hopefully this one too! I love Tom Hardy and every piece of news about Venom had made it seem more amazing so I can't wait!!

Romez

I was hoping Sony would completely lose their minds and cast their own Spider-Man for the Sony Spider-Verse

I don't get how so many people are still confused.

Sony cast and pay Tom Holland. Homecoming is a Sony movie but made by Marvel.

This isn't part of the MCU (OP shouldn't have put MCU in the title) it just means if Spider-Man appears in Venom it will be Tom Holland Spider-Man.

IHaveIce

Banned
Man .. I really thought Amy Pascal would have to be fired after those leaks last year.

What a dumb decision, Sony doesn't seem to be able to make a good Marvel Movie on their own anymore, Feige said he has no plans for Venom...

this is all becoming one big clusterfuck

The question is basically whether now they're going to have to actively supervise this Venom film as an in-house project at Sony that's taking place in the MCU. If not, Sony basically can choose to do what they like within the MCU with these particular films without Marvel's say, which is totally going to ruin Marvel's studious approach to continuity, as well as the way all their creatives like to closely collaborate with each other to make sure none of their individual stories end up contradicting something else within the universe.

It's basically like a group of children playing with their Marvel action figures in a carefully constructed play-time scenario, and then the weird kid from next door turning up with their Venom doll and being all like "I WANNA PLAY! SO LIKE, MY VENOM TURNS UP AND THEN..." and the rest of the kids all rolling their eyes and trying their best to be accommodating, but really wishing the kid would just go away and stop ruining things for everyone else.

I also imagine this is the case. Wonder if Feige is questing if this is all worth it

Glass Rebel

You're making it sound like Feige was caught by surprise like we are.

I mean, it looks like that in the video but it's very, very unlikely they didn't know that when they signed the deal for Spidey.

Ahhh, I see, the edgyness. Totally agree, horrible stuff.

We talking about the art or the depiction of venom slamming the black cat face first into a wall?

Tom Hardy is a fit 5'9. You guys are acting like he's John Cena or something.

I think the discontent is that he is so much older. They will likely have no continuity with each other and that is the greatest travesty. Venom is just gonna show up looking like Spider-Man because he saw him in tv or something.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I mean, it looks like that in the video but it's very, very unlikely they didn't know that when they signed the deal for Spidey.

Sure, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're happy about it. What's the upside of Sony's in-house Venom film being set in the MCU for Marvel?

Spinluck

It can work, but it's a terrible idea, and Sony has proven that they have no idea how to handle the property.

The Netflix Marvel shows exist in the same exact way, the only difference would be that this would hit the silver screen instead. Honestly, Sony should look to Netflix for their Spider-Man spinoffs (they probably don't even want these), or perhaps they shouldn't do them at all.

Personally, I'd rather see Black Cat or someone else more interesting than Venom.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
You're making it sound like Feige was caught by surprise like we are.

How do people think Sony got a leg up over Disney? They're incompetent and Disney already went through all this rights shit with the Hulk. Their lawyers aren't so incapable that they've allowed the MCU to be exposed by Rothman & co

Sure, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're happy about it. What's the upside of Sony's in-house Venom film being set in the MCU for Marvel?

Venom can't be set in the MCU. Disney controls the MCU, and they are not putting an R Rated film on the docket. Sony can try to hoodwink audiences as much as possible by muddying the waters but that's about it.

So is this not going to be rated R?

If it's a Sony-made movie that is independent of the MCU, yes?

If this is all talk to prop up a cinematic universe so Sony can sell off the movie division? no - it'll never get made and maybe Venom will find his way into the MCU as a PG-13 spidey movie, after being teased at the end of some cosmic movie.

Pachimari

Venom is not set in the MCU. I don't think that's what you should take away from this.

Personally, I'd rather see Black Cat or someone else more interesting than Venom.
Your Black Cat movie has already been announced as is slated to come out next year too.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Venom is not set in the MCU. I don't think that's what you should take away from this.

Amy Pascal is telling us the Venom movie will be taking place in the same universe in the same universe as Spiderman: Homecoming.

Spiderman: Homecoming is set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Help me out here.

He's not. The people who don't like him are typically the people who say "such edgy" in way more instances than it should be said.

For me venom started being bad after Erik larsens run. He had a cool fight with Spider-Man on an island and it was awesome. After that they took away his motivation and then we had maximum carnage and maximum a bunch symbiotes. It was a real shit show in the late 90s.

Anti venom was a interesting concept that I enjoyed. Like they tried to make sense out of Eddie Brock's characters life and his relationship with the symbiote.

Glass Rebel

What does this even mean? It's the contract they signed. This is what it took to get Spidey into the MCU and it was apparently worth it for them. It's not like they were caught with their pants down by this.

Pachimari

Amy Pascal is telling us the Venom movie will be taking place in the same universe in the same universe as Spiderman: Homecoming.

Spiderman: Homecoming is set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Help me out here.
It's explained on page 3 and in the post above.

SpaceWolf

Banned
It's explained on page 3 and in the post above.

That's SillyNonsense laying out a personal theory of his regarding how things are going to play out, not an actual confirmation by either Marvel or Sony, so excuse me if I don't take it as gospel, even if it happens to include a flashy graphic. In that post, a Feige quote is cited that may well have become outdated based on Pascal's recent confirmation that Venom takes place in Spider-Man's world, something I believe had been stridently denied in the past.

And even so, it's not even like SillyNonsense's post is contradicting what I'm saying...

Venom technically takes place in the MCU by connection to Spider-Man but you won't see him fighting the Avengers in Infinity War, for example

...hence, Venom would be taking place in the MCU.

Venom is either going to be set in the MCU or it isn't. There can't be a "technically" about this, especially given how closely intwined the Marvel Cinematic Universe is in relation to building a strong foundation of continuity for its stories and making sure all its key players all stick to the same page. All we have to go on right now is Amy Pascal telling us Spiderman's world and Venom's will be one in the same...although to what extent, we'll have to wait and see.

Fox & Marvel are very different studios

mzk9Epf.jpg

Yes, this makes sense to me.

I think, so long as nothing in the Venom movie, and subsequent Sony "Spider-verse" movies (Black & Silver, etc) contradict anything in the MCU, then they could essentially be open to cross-over certain characters at a later date. I think as long as both Movie Studios are respectful of each other's universes, then viewers can pick and choose what they want to view as canon or not, depending on their preferred outlook.

This is likely the agreement Marvel and Sony have in place.

EDIT: Then of course we have Simon Kinberg now leading Fox's X-Men franchise, about to take a similar "Cosmic" direction. And remember Simon Kinberg is also heavily connected with Disney, being part of the Star Wars Story group. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a similar X-Men/MCU venn diagram opening up in a few years time...almost time for a cinematic SECRET WARS...

jett

D-Member
lol at Amy Pascal. I imagine Mahvel has a different idea.

Why is she still working at Sony, anyway. Isn't she responsible for their multiple dumpster fires.

Top Bottom