• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venus vs Mars: which planet would you rather have terraformed?

Which planet should humanity terraform first?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Buni

Of course we don't have the means right now. We are all just talking theoretically, assuming that one day mankind acquires the resources and infrastructure for such an undertaking. After all, those kinds of resources are theoretically available in our solar system, if we manage to build up an industrial infrastructure in space. Most terraforming theories tend to avoid presuming the existence of unknowable technology such as ant-gravity or such, and instead focus on relatively simple methods such as introducing plant-life or building really big mirrors. In that sense, the main obstacle for terraforming is a matter of resources and capability more than technology. It is still the realm of science fiction, but it is a closer and far more achievable form of sci-fi than Star Trek-style FTL voyages or such.
Thanks for responding.
I say practice on the moon. Find a way to melt the core and make a magnetic field, develop artificial gravity for inside the buildings, get water there - possibly from an asteroid, plant shit etc.
Wouldn't messing around with the moon be too risky considering its effect on Earth? What if we fuck it up entirely by "practicing on it"?

The Sun isn't going to 'blow up'; it's not massive enough for that. It will expand to be 260+ times its current size and will engulf Mercury and Venus in the process. Earth may or may not survive this. Either way, it's not something we have to worry about given it won't happen for another 5 billion years.
the earth will survive, but we probably won't.
Sailor Venus all the way.

lol at Mercury being considered.
i didn't intend for it to be a choice.
Massive base? Dunno how we'd go about making a sky city feasible.
neither do I. someone posted a link about it somewhere here

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
the earth will survive, but we probably won't.

i didn't intend for it to be a choice.
neither do I. someone posted a link about it somewhere here

Not even sure what's more doable, an all out terraform effort of Mars or a sky city on Venus.

What kind of batshit engineering would we have to pull off to even get started on the soil level of Venus and not to mention how we'd raise the city from the ground?

Batshit science and materials, the costs would be mind boggling.

SkyOdin

the thing with that is wouldn't the pillars of the cities have to be standing on venusian soil? how would you keep them from getting destroyed?

Massive base? Dunno how we'd go about making a sky city feasible.

Not even sure what's more doable, an all out terraform effort of Mars or a sky city on Venus.

What kind of batshit engineering would we have to pull off to even get started on the soil level of Venus and not to mention how we'd raise the city from the ground?

Actually, building a sky city on Venus doesn't involve any pillars or stilts or anything like that. The solution is much simpler: the city floats through the air like a balloon. Venus's atmosphere is incredibly dense; so much so that breathable air at comfortable pressures is more buoyant than helium is on Earth. Just as it makes more sense to build ships that float on the surface of the sea than it is to crawl along the seafloor, it makes more sense to float atop Venus's dense atmosphere than to try and build up from its depths.

Walshicus

It's not "easy", but I guess the fundamentals are pretty basic.

Venus is hot. It's hot because it's close to the sun and its atmosphere is full of greenhouse gases which retain that heat. Solution? Reduce insolation by placing sun blockers in orbit and wait. Seed the atmosphere with bacteria to fix carbon from the atmosphere. Wait.

You're still left with the orbital spin problem though which would cause extreme weather as the atmosphere thins and cools. You could build a bunch of mass drivers at the equator for some century-long programme of firing shit into space to increase the spin of the planet. Alternatively you could slam a tonne of comets into the planet at angles to convey spin and hopefully blast chunks of the atmosphere off.

Actually, building a sky city on Venus doesn't involve any pillars or stilts or anything like that. The solution is much simpler: the city floats through the air like a balloon. Venus's atmosphere is incredibly dense; so much so that breathable air at comfortable pressures is more buoyant than helium is on Earth. Just as it makes more sense to build ships that float on the surface of the sea than it is to crawl along the seafloor, it makes more sense to float atop Venus's dense atmosphere than to try and build up from its depths.
so you can build a massive city in the sky, like, the size and mass of manhattan, and it'll just float?

Brofield

S6iW9Kw.png
Do we really want to make a planet of Arizona?

#TeamNoDisrespectToMattDamon

lachesis

I say Mars. Sun's getting hotter and hotter, so in the long term, Earth will be fried, and Mars will be in next safe zone. Mars' won't be the same, but it will be a good stepping stone / jumping ground for us to move further out in the distant future.

gosox333

you now realize you most likely won't live long enough to experience any of the cool shit being talked about in this thread happening

SkyOdin

so you can build a massive city in the sky, like, the size and mass of manhattan, and it'll just float?
Well, it depends on how the structure is built. A certain volume of air generates so much buoyancy, and that buoyancy can support a certain amount of mass. You would probably need to engineer the structure to have as little excess weight as possible.

When I was researching the topic earlier, I discovered that Buckminster Fuller apparently once proposed a design for a type of floating habitat that he believed could even work on Earth, which he named "Cloud Nine". It is essentially a giant balloon in the form of a geodesic sphere more than a mile wide. Since geodesic spheres increase in structural strength the larger they get, they can be built very large, and thus lift quite a bit relative to the mass of the balloon itself. If you adapt the idea for Venus, then you could theoretically live inside that geodesic sphere itself, perhaps.
How are Europa and Ganymede for colonization?
Well, that depends. The Jovian system isn't the most hospitable place in the Solar System, in large part due to Jupiter's magnetosphere. Radiation around Jupiter can be extreme, and many of Jupiter's moons are directly in its radiation belts. Io has it really bad, but Europa is still hit with a lethal amount of radiation on a daily basis.

For example, something on the surface of Mars gets about .022 rads of radiation every day. By NASA's estimates, that means that a three-year stay there would be at about the limit of what would be safe for someone to be exposed to in their lifetime. In comparison, Europa gets more than enough radiation to cause you to drop dead in a single day there. It is thousands of times stronger than the radiation you would expect on Mars.

Ganymede is a bit more encouraging. It is after all the largest moon in the Solar System, and larger than Mercury. It also has its own magnetosphere, which offers some protection from Jupiter's nightmarish radiation belts, but not quite enough protection. You're looking at 8 rems a day on Ganymede's surface without shielding, which is enough to cause you to become seriously ill in a matter of days, I believe. I wish I could make more exact comparisons, but unfortunately, Wikipedia gives some values in terms of Absorbed dosage of radiation, and other values in terms of equivalent dosage of radiation, and I don't have enough expertise on the subject to directly compare those two types of numbers.

The other problem with living in the outer planets is that is cold. You can't rely on sun light and solar power, so you might need to use some other energy source.

Well, it depends on how the structure is built. A certain volume of air generates so much buoyancy, and that buoyancy can support a certain amount of mass. You would probably need to engineer the structure to have as little excess weight as possible.

When I was researching the topic earlier, I discovered that Buckminster Fuller apparently once proposed a design for a type of floating habitat that he believed could even work on Earth, which he named "Cloud Nine". It is essentially a giant balloon in the form of a geodesic sphere more than a mile wide. Since geodesic spheres increase in structural strength the larger they get, they can be built very large, and thus lift quite a bit relative to the mass of the balloon itself. If you adapt the idea for Venus, then you could theoretically live inside that geodesic sphere itself, perhaps.
then we would have to consider the mass of the facility itself since they're supposed to be cities, plus the mass of (each million?) people living inside of it.

McLovin

Thanks for responding.

Wouldn't messing around with the moon be too risky considering its effect on Earth? What if we fuck it up entirely by "practicing on it"?
We only need the moon for its gravitational pull. The only way to fuck it up would be by blowing it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom