• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vergil teased for DMC4:SE! (Also, DmC Definitive Edition trailer)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I didn't see anything about it being mentioned here, but someone elsewhere pointed out that there are lighting differences between the Japanese trailer of the special edition and the existing version of the game.

The first set doesn't seem to capture the same frame. If you watch the trailer, it has a weird filter that occurs that sort of muddies the textures, but the picture taken for "NEXT GEN" is after that.

And I can't tell if the second set is the same or not, since Nero's arm is causing a lot of different shadows during that part.

The third set, I can't even tell a difference at all.

Some of the shadows might be darker in the PC version for all three? I'm just not sure. They're also likely not finished with whatever tweaks they have in porting it.

The first set doesn't seem to capture the same frame. If you watch the trailer, it has a weird filter that occurs that sort of muddies the textures, but the picture taken for "NEXT GEN" is after that.

And I can't tell if the second set is the same or not, since Nero's arm is causing a lot of different shadows during that part.

The third set, I can't even tell a difference at all.

Some of the shadows might be darker in the PC version for all three? I'm just not sure. They're also likely not finished with whatever tweaks they have in porting it.

It actually has the same shadows during the first few seconds of the Special Edition trailer, and then abruptly changes to the new ones. Perhaps it's intentional or just some sort of bug with the current build of the port. Know way to know for sure now.

Unit24

There are a lot of moves to play around with. And yellow orbs should never be a concern at a DMC game.

And the checkpoint system...it's not handholding like modern games and is actually pretty generous given that missions are not long in general. I'm not saying "get good" but that this is one of the games where you are rewarded for learning and being good at the game.

DMC1 is by no means an easy game, so it's fairly easy to run out of yellow orbs. And what does it have to do with handholding? Handholding implies that the player can't figure out what to do, so the game has to tell them. Running out of checkpoints doesn't actually make the game harder, it just artificially extends gameplay time and makes it take longer for the player to figure out how to improve.

BBboy20

Capcom was really onto something with the MT Framework. It really makes me wonder what's in store for Panta Rhei.
Resident Evil 5 solidified it as my favorite graphics engine until DICE's Frostbite 2 came to be (too bad I'm not going to buy EA games in the foreseeable future). Seriously, I literally analyzed both the 360 and PS3 versions on websites and comparing the demos to analyze the graphics to determine which version to get for perhaps weeks. Do I get it on PS3 just because of it starting on PS or on 360 to ensure I see the game with the the best textures and frame-rate. It fell apart when an online friend pointed out that it'll look best on PC.

In the end, I ended up getting it on PS3 despite knowing it would have frame-dips (though apparently the 360 version did have screen-tearing that I never noticed in that version's demo). You know, typing this, maybe I should buy the PC version just to establish that I got the game on the highest quality of representation possible.

Crazy I went into detail like bomb did with his DMC stories.

TreIII

DMC1 is still godlike. Combat is simplistic but you need to make use of almost every single move and when you use DT. Every enemy encounter requires you to be calculating. This game is arguably the only game in the series that feels like Dante is trapped in a world filled of demons and you must fight your way out like the legendary demon hunter. You gotta be smart of knowing when to use melee and range weapons, and which type to use. The mix between horror and action still hasn't been replicated to this day. And every single battle against Vergil is breathtaking, especially the last encounter. This game is dated in the sense that it came out in 2001, the design approaches behind it are still impressive.

Yes yes yes!

There's still a lot that I miss from DMC1 that hasn't been replicated in any future game, namely the horror aspect. You can't hope to make things "scary" any more now that Dante is basically a Silver Age DC Character, haha.

In any case, DMC1 still stands as my ideal for what a 3D Metroidvania game could have been like. Only that much more a shame that, in my opinion, no 3D CV effort ever came close to marrying action and horror as successfully as DMC did.

Ushiwaka

I hope they use Panta Rhei for DMC5. Those short footage of Deep Down that Capcom showed is still the best next gen graphics I have ever seen.

Endo Punk

I hope they use Panta Rhei for DMC5. Those short footage of Deep Down that Capcom showed is still the best next gen graphics I have ever seen.

I really hope the problems with that engine are sorted own soon. I really don't want Capcom to stick with UE4 for all of this gen.

Let's also not use that line from the original game to generalize the entire series. I believe DMC3 is still the best written game in the series. I'll totally agree that the rest is all pretty crap though, even if there are a lot of moments I like in 4 the actual plot wasn't especially interesting or good.

Yeah DMC3 had an interesting story but brothers feuding isn't much of an original idea. It seemed jumbled up at times with bad pacing. But again, I don't play DMC for story.

Your insistence on debating semantics does nothing to change the damage that DmC (not DMC) did to the franchise and fan morale. The effects of what Capcom wanted it to be can still be felt today, which is the whole reason why no one is certain as to what Devil May Cry's future is. They could just as well stick to their plan of continuing DmC and choose to ignore the original series after DMC4:SE.
OK so by your logic, the original concept of the design is what we should go buy. Therefore, if the end product was changed it's irrelevant because we have to judge the game based on it's original development. Basically, ignore that DmC was supposed to be a retelling but say that "Capcom wanted a reboot" and that's how the game is.
If you're that sad to holding a grudge over a video game, then why are you still talking about it nearly two years on? I admit, I'm not the biggest fan of the DMC series and I honestly started with DMC4, but when I played through all of the HD collection at once last year, I honestly felt the series wasn't that good to begin with. This goes for a lot of games. Everyone has a masturbation session over the games like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Sonic the Hedgehog, Devil May Cry etc as if they're almost perfect. Yet the current modern games (Sonic '06, Final Fantasy XIII, DmC, RE6) are actually very true to the series. A lot of the critcisms put towards games like DmC such as: bad voice acting, terrible dialogue, bad pacing, swearing, baby killing are all present in the previous games yet no-one acknowledges those or makes excuses for them being in those games. Which makes me think, if I can enjoy the latest games, why can't you?
I'm not offended by what DmC did the series considering the entire series is pretty pathetic when you think about it. But because of that, I can enjoy DmC without assuming the old games never had the same flaws. Maybe you should go back and play it because "Flock off feather face" and 'riding a motorcycle up a crumbling tower while fighting bloody gargoyles' is incredibly stupid.

DMC3 won't necessarily be winning any awards for either, yet even then both its voice acting and writing are far more competent (and coherent in the case of the latter) than anything found in DmC. And for as incomplete as the original DMC4 was, this scene alone was far better written and performed than anything in DmC, not to mention far more self-aware. Not even people who actually like NT make a point of defending what they came up with for DmC when compared to their previous work, which they actually had help with creating.

But when Dante is talking about penetration and thrusting his cock, that's still classy?

If it let's the action be fast paced as DMC should be, then I'm all for it.

Korigama

I said it once already, I really have nothing else to say about DmC at this point. If you like it, good for you. It's just going to be the same cyclical arguments where neither side respects the opposing interpretation of the franchise, as DMC vs. DmC always boils down to in these threads. I'm not interested in continuing what was an already drawn out debate regarding that game's merits (having gone on for days now), and insistence upon continuing it suggests being far more hung up over the matter than I am.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
OK so by your logic, the original concept of the design is what we should go buy. Therefore, if the end product was changed it's irrelevant because we have to judge the game based on it's original development. Basically, ignore that DmC was supposed to be a retelling but say that "Capcom wanted a reboot" and that's how the game is.
If you're that sad to holding a grudge over a video game, then why are you still talking about it nearly two years on? I admit, I'm not the biggest fan of the DMC series and I honestly started with DMC4, but when I played through all of the HD collection at once last year, I honestly felt the series wasn't that good to begin with. This goes for a lot of games. Everyone has a masturbation session over the games like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Sonic the Hedgehog, Devil May Cry etc as if they're almost perfect. Yet the current modern games (Sonic '06, Final Fantasy XIII, DmC, RE6) are actually very true to the series. A lot of the critcisms put towards games like DmC such as: bad voice acting, terrible dialogue, bad pacing, swearing, baby killing are all present in the previous games yet no-one acknowledges those or makes excuses for them being in those games. Which makes me think, if I can enjoy the latest games, why can't you?
I'm not offended by what DmC did the series considering the entire series is pretty pathetic when you think about it. But because of that, I can enjoy DmC without assuming the old games never had the same flaws. Maybe you should go back and play it because "Flock off feather face" and 'riding a motorcycle up a crumbling tower while fighting bloody gargoyles' is incredibly stupid.

The bolded above makes it very difficult to take the rest of your post seriously. If you consider Sonic 2006, FFXIII, and even RE6 to be in line with the original series, in both design focus and quality, then your perspective is way off. DmC is the closest to the original series out of those listed, and I obviously still see the disparity there. I'm not even one of those people that thinks RE6 is the worst shit ever (it was actually incredibly ambitious in a lot of ways), but if you actually can't see the pacing and design problems with that game, then you're blind.

Your post boils down to: "I'm blind to the non-gameplay differences between these games, so people should agree with me that they're not bad."

If you like or prefer the game, you prefer the game. Let's not pretend that they're the same.

Endo Punk

WTH are you talking about? You enjoyed DmC? More power to you but the game is completely inferior in all aspects that make the franchise so good. Im thinking you're taking DMC story too seriousy, I have news for you; DMC is goofy, cheesy, laughably bad- Fans are aware- but my god is it a lot more entertaining than what NT came up with for DmC. They were brought on board to fix up the story but only made one which is worse because it took itself too seriously while delivering a terrible version of They Live and that's a B movie! They should never be known for story because it has always been outsourced except with DmC. And in doing so the gameplay suffered a hell of a lot, yes you can still have fun with it and will likely please a lot of people but we got an inferior game over a franchise that has done so much more and practically created the frantic action genre. You don't agree? git gud.

As far as as Sonic 06, FF13, and RE6 being true to their respective franchise. Shake my head...

TreIII

To be fair, nothing much came out of Capcom in general for the first day of the Festa. Not even any BASARA-pertinent updates that were explicitly promised by Kobayashi. (Maybe they didn't want to be overshadowed by Square Enix?)

If we don't get anything tonight, then it would be a loss.

Astral Dog

I hope its not UE 4 ,i mean it could be nice,but, Capcom supposedly should have their own good engine, like MT Framework.
Capcom has their own event on April, don't they? or they don't do that anymore?

BadWolf

To be fair, nothing much came out of Capcom in general for the first day of the Festa. Not even any BASARA-pertinent updates that were explicitly promised by Kobayashi. (Maybe they didn't want to be overshadowed by Square Enix?)

If we don't get anything tonight, then it would be a loss.

Yeah, probably wasn't their turn today.

Astral Dog

Yeah DMC3 had an interesting story but brothers feuding isn't much of an original idea. It seemed jumbled up at times with bad pacing. But again, I don't play DMC for story.

But when Dante is talking about penetration and thrusting his cock, that's still classy?

If it let's the action be fast paced as DMC should be, then I'm all for it.

Yes its stupid, i would take that cartoony shit over the pretentious, boring crap that the story on DmC was. its fine if you like it more, but don't act like its much better than the original, with worse looking cutscenes, poor action, less humor, awful enemy and boss design, etc. not to mention the downgrade in framerate, the broken rating system, and other things that will be fixed and added on the new edition.
And mentioning these games is silly, they may be good games (well, i don't know how can you defend Sonic 2006) but they were uneven on quality, and not that well recieved, thats all, it stills make them a part of their respective franchises, just games questioned for some of the design desicions by their fans.

DmC was a good game, but some people are glad that a series that was unnecessarily changed its coming back to its roots, not everyone its going to like DMC, or DmC, but the series are among the very best of action games, and has a fanbase that supports it, even if its " pathetic"

Didn't they specifically say they had announcements for Jump Festa?
I think people inferred that they did because they had "upcoming announcements that will turn heads in the west", but knowing Capcom that could be any time in the next couple of months..
Not really. DMC2 is boring as fuck. It's one of the few games I stopped playing out of boredom.
Basically how I felt. I didn't even buy it when it was released because of the mediocre reviews and when I actually played it like 4 years ago.. couldn't get through it because it was pretty bland and awful.. Level design everything felt and looked the same bland brown..

Kuraudo

Banned
I think people inferred that they did because they had "upcoming announcements that will turn heads in the west", but knowing Capcom that could be any time in the next couple of months..

Basically how I felt. I didn't even buy it when it was released because of the mediocre reviews and when I actually played it like 4 years ago.. couldn't get through it because it was pretty bland and awful.. Level design everything felt and looked the same bland brown..

The game that was going to turn heads was meant to be a PS4 game, so I assume it's SFV.

a) SF is pretty popular in the West.
b) it's exclusive to PS4, which nobody in Japan cares about but will surprise people in territories where Microsoft actually has traction.

Jump Festa is over the course of the weekend so "It's not over yet!", but I'm surprised that other than Square, nobody else had anything planned for whole of today.

Not optimistic.

Jump Festa is over the course of the weekend so "It's not over yet!", but I'm surprised that other than Square, nobody else had anything planned for whole of today.

Not optimistic.

Jump Festa is mainly for Japanese (so mobile, browser games), and it's mainly Anime/Manga, not games.

It's an important event though, so companies like Square tend to use it for announcements, Capcpom could do something like that too.

Akiller

https://twitter.com/comicpunk78/status/546339007471558657

B5T8bpbIUAA7qbl.jpg

Voror

The One and Done™;144210292 said:
Devil May Cry made its living in the US primarily. DMC4 had awesome US sales. Wasn't a dud by any means.

It was the bestselling in the series this far, right? Thanks, I sort of figured that U.S. was the biggest market for the series. Probably why DmC was the way it was in tone.

mandas

Neo Member
DMC1 will always be my favorite. I know compared to the gameplay of 3 and 4 it was more simplistic but my god it set such a damned good tone. The whole atmosphere hasn't been captured since from setting to music. Damned good game. Yeah graphically it hasn't held up with Trisha's plank hair but that's the small stuff.

DMC5, I am looking for you.

Silky

Banned
I don't even care about DMC4. More excited for the DmC changes. It's adding everything that it needs to make it a much more viable title. I've always teetered between DmC and DMC4's quality but this sounds like DmC will finally be the third best DMC game it rightfully deserves.

Unless Lady is playable in DMC4. If I can play as Lady, I will buy DMC4 thirty times. Fuck Vergil

Top Bottom