• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vergil teased for DMC4:SE! (Also, DmC Definitive Edition trailer)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Looks like Jump Fest was unfortunately a disappointment on this front. It's unlikely we'll hear anything before March of next year or so, but I'll continue hoping that details will make their way through.

The Lamp

So I've never played these games before. In prep of this, I got the DMC HD Collection. Which games should I play and in what order, and is there a recommended difficulty setting?

Looks like Jump Fest was unfortunately a disappointment on this front. It's unlikely we'll hear anything before March of next year or so, but I'll continue hoping that details will make their way through.
I think we'll at least hear about it before then (probably within a month), Gregaman said we won't be hearing details for a little while..
Alongside today's DmC Definitive Edition announcement, we're also confirming that Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition will be coming to PS4 and Xbox One next summer! Details for this one won't hit for a little while, but there is a teaser trailer coming very soon, and I trust it'll get the speculation running.

Two Devil May Cry announcements in one day? Sometimes Mondays are the best.

So I've never played these games before. In prep of this, I got the DMC HD Collection. Which games should I play and in what order, and is there a recommended difficulty setting?

I'd say play them in release order (2 is totally skippable, though) and just play on the standard mode to start with, in each game. (Easy mode is not recommended, and you can't start on anything harder than normal without cheats anyway.)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Play DMC1, then DMC3.

There aren't any other starting difficulties. Play on Normal in both and have fun!

TreIII

Yeah. I was hoping that we'd at least get a bit on something like Dragon's Dogma Online, for all that KobaP talked about making announcements that would "turn heads in the West".

Ah, well. Hype Train gets a chance to stop and refuel for a while.

Normal difficulty (aka highest default difficulty) for all of them

Play 1 then 3.

...That's all =3

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I think there is perhaps a certain academic value in giving DMC2 a shot at the very least. For perspective, if nothing else.

Or maybe not.

BadWolf

Gotta say, it's so convenient playing DMC3 via PCSX2.

The save state feature is so damn helpful, since you can save literally at any time. So instead of reloading the entire level to tackle a section of enemies or whatever to combo practice etc. you can be right back within a second.

I think there is perhaps a certain academic value in giving DMC2 a shot at the very least. For perspective, if nothing else.

Or maybe not.
Playing DMC2 lets you appreciate better games so much more, and gives not so good games a chance to be fun because at least they are not DMC2

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Gotta say, it's so convenient playing DMC3 via PCSX2.

The save state feature is so damn helpful, since you can save literally at any time. So instead of reloading the entire level to tackle a section of enemies or whatever to combo practice etc. you can be right back within a second.

I haven't looked into PS2 emulation. Is it relatively easy?

Son Of D

I had a feeling that would be the case. They'll focus on DmC: DE first (maybe with some trickle of information on DMC4) then when that has been released they'll start pushing DMC4: SE.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Extremely.

PS2 emulation is pretty simple! I had to use a SVN build for DMC3 though since it desyncs in cutscenes in the latest official release which doesn't help with my nostalgia play-through.

Good to know. Any suggested resources? I imagine I'd just boot something up while the PS2 disc is in the tray?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=957112

Kobayashi states that the new games will be both announced and released in 2015.

He could mean "announced" and "released in 2015" rather than "announced and released in 2015". But I do really think that Capcom has more titles to show soon in general.

BadWolf

Good to know. Any suggested resources? I imagine I'd just boot something up while the PS2 disc is in the tray?.

Just do a quick google search, tutorials are available on youtube as well if you are having issues. I'd link something but the ones I found mention emulation sites and what not.

Generally speaking:

- Get emu
- Get PS2 bios (can dump your own or find it online) and set it
- Set up controller
- Run game

You can also mess with the graphical settings to tweak things to your liking.

And you are probably better off playing from an iso, much quicker and much more convenient (from starting the emu to actually playing the game takes like literally 5 seconds, save states let you by pass PS2 start up stuff). Since you already have the game you can make your own iso or just find one online.

question: When playing DMC4 pc, I get a prompt on steam to either play it, or load it in Direct X10. Should I do Direct X10, or just keep doing what I'm doing? Is there a difference?

Unit24

question: When playing DMC4 pc, I get a prompt on steam to either play it, or load it in Direct X10. Should I do Direct X10, or just keep doing what I'm doing? Is there a difference?

The difference is that playing it normally will make it work and playing it in DirectX10 will make it not work.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I think it's just lighting effects and such. Incidentally putting the lighting on very high introduces color banding though so I keep it to high.

TreIII

He could mean "announced" and "released in 2015" rather than "announced and released in 2015". But I do really think that Capcom has more titles to show soon in general.

Yeah, if anything it does more to back up how things like Sengoku BASARA 4's expansion (or even SB5?) is likely going to be announced at the Matsuri event in February and then released later on in 2015 to be in time for BASARA's 10th anniversary celebration.

To me, the more interesting thing is seeing if the likes of Dragon's Dogma Online will fit into possible plans for 2015.

Sesha

Speaking of Vergil 3. It's a great fight, but design-wise I felt it has been surpassed. I hope he's a boss in DMC4SE so we can have him back as the GOAT character action boss.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=957112

Kobayashi states that the new games will be both announced and released in 2015.

It sounds like "among the games that will be announced in 2015, several will be released the same year".

DMC5, Dino Crisis 4 and Capcom All-Stars Kart Racing, let's go!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Speaking of Vergil 3. It's a great fight, but design-wise I felt it has been surpassed. I hope he's a boss in DMC4SE so we can have him back as the GOAT character action boss.

By whom? Keep in mind that I haven't played Bayo 2 yet, so please no spoilers.

Akiller

Yep, i thought the same when i beat him For the first time.Vergil is still the best rival tho, but we need Itsuno's reply to that.

Astral Dog

It's not Bayo 2.

Obviously by Vorkken

hqdefault.jpg

Reset

Don't play DMC 1 or 2. Both are awful.
Just play DMC 3. DMC 3 > DMC 2 > DMC 1

Sesha

DMC1 is amazing. Great all round package. Excellent enemy design, great bosses, great atmosphere, meaty combat system, great attention to detail outside of combat, story is whatever.

By whom? Keep in mind that I haven't played Bayo 2 yet, so please no spoilers.

By Credo and maybe Jeanne's final fight. Vergil 3 is still more difficult, though. I don't think it's been surpassed in all areas, though. One thing that Vergil 3 and the Vergil fights do better in general is how Vergil mirrors Dante's actions and reacts accordingly.

Not saying anything about Bayo 2 and W101, as I haven't played the latter.

BadWolf

By Credo and maybe Jeanne's final fight. Vergil 3 is still more difficult, though. I don't think it's been surpassed in all areas, though. One thing that Vergil 3 and the Vergil fights do better in general is how Vergil mirrors Dante's actions and reacts accordingly.

Will have to disagree, Credo's is good but isn't nearly as epic as the showdown with Vergil.

Jeanne's looks good visually but gameplay-wise pales in comparison and includes QTEs.

Sephzilla

Neither of these are Nanomachines, son.

Raonak

Banned
I just abhor the resurrection mechanic of Gold orb. Granted, you're not supposed to use items in DMC, but this makes the experience way too easy for new players.

Gold orbs are expensive and aren't really plentiful, I doubt it'll help new players that much considering the learning curve the game has.

I just found the yellow orbs lives approach to be very frustrating as a new player (especially running into a end level boss), and just utterly redundant as an experienced player. Does nothing but add cheap artificial difficulty to the game

Astarte

Nanomachines, son?

The senator fight was fun but it didn't beat Vergil :V

Correct its devil hand in God hand

Obviously by Vorkken

hqdefault.jpg

These two fights were pretty baller though

The Credo fight was rad, but it didn't surpass Vergil in terms of "oh shit it's going down".
Jeanne was fun to fight against, but nothing really...happened.

Top Bottom