• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Details multiple devkits evolution of Orbis

DieH@rd

Banned
Gemüsepizza;46847912 said:
If they will use stacked DDR RAM, couldn't they easily use even more than 4 GB RAM?

DDR4 and presumably WideIO memory can be stacked to eight levels. But, you can test this stack only when you finish it. More levels, more chances for failure. More failure, more wasted money.

Their vision of consoles is aimed at 4 GB of fast RAM [upped after developer screamed @ 2GB] and chances for going to 6 or 8 is close to zero.

About memory bandwidth:

AMD's high-end 7000-series GPUs have about 60-70 (MB/s)/(GFLOP/s).
The proposed Orbis specs (1.84 TF / 192 GB/s) would be 105 (MB/s)/(GFLOP/s).
CPU memory bandwidth consumption needs to be considered (but it's very small compared to GPU) and more is always better, but from these numbers it wouldn't seem like a small reduction in memory bandwidth would imbalance Orbis.

Yeah but thats kind of skewed. The Sapphire 7970 is rated at 3.7 TFLOPs and has a theo max BW of 307 Gb/s.

Reiko

Banned
DDR4 and presumably WideIO memory can be stacked to eight levels. But, you can test this stack only when you finish it. More levels, more chances for failure. More failure, more wasted money.

Their vision of consoles is aimed at 4 GB of fast RAM [upped after developer screamed @ 2GB] and chances for going to 6 or 8 is close to zero.

Is this developer First Party or Third Party?

Does the Third Party end in TEK?

....or SOFT?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i'm waiting for the conversation to move over to the CPUs. we're seeing games on PC like planetside 2 make the most of PCs with a passmark of 6-8000. i'm not a CPU guy by any means, but i gathered that they suffer less from abstraction than GPUs?

with 8 cores, if each pair of those cores has a PC-side passmark of 800 - giving it a theoretical high end (if perfectly optimally threaded) of 3200, are the gains from "to the metal" programming enough to make up the deficit?

daveo42

Banned
I am hearing from my source that were looking at something over 170 GB/S

Staying ahead of Durango and their theoretical 170 GB/s? I guess knowing what the competition is doing before coming in at final spec has it's advantages.

720 silicon is at it's final stage before mass production right? So only minor changes to the hardware unless there are any massive yield or quality issues if that's the case.

Boss Man

So basically they were holding onto vaguer specs than what we already knew and it looks like the DF specs are correct? It looks like we didn't really learn anything new at all, just more validity for the DF specs. Or am I missing something?

KageMaru

The estimated specs really look great. Lately more and more it's looking like I'll probably pick up a PS4 at launch this fall and just wait on the nextBox, unless the launch line up is much better (which I doubt).

I'm trying not to but next gen hype is starting to creep up on me. =p

sony could overclock the PS4 with firmware updates like they did with the PSP.

They didn't overclock the PSP, they underclocked it which is why they were able to go higher. They basically unlocked the PSP, not overclocked it. Big difference.

-_- It is not going up. There is no benefit of going up. Sony is not looking to use GDDR5 from what it sounds like. It will be downgraded by a few GB, but enough to get you 1080p 60 FPS. You aren't playing games in 4k son.

I thought all indications pointed to them using GDDR5, did I miss something?

It will be interesting if Microsoft decides to make the next Xbox more like a platform rather than a single spec machine. KInd of like Ipad with yearly updates each of which is faster than a previous one and runs your existing games with better framerate and resolution. I can see them doing this, core crowd would buy into it heavily IMO.

This was already hinted at in Timothy Lotte's article. Very interesting article btw. I had no idea so many hardware limitations are placed over the APIs on the PC.

This would be a horrible idea IMO, which is why MS could be stupid enough to try it.

Ashes

Banned

I think this is misleading. RAM changes can be made late, as compared to other parts. Such as in the example of x360 and vita. Or so they say.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Okay don't hang me gaf.
I am hearing from my source that were looking at something over 170 GB/S

Honestly it is higher than I expected (144GB/s), but I expect some headroom is for the CPU.

Moosichu

I don't really understand teach-stuff. But I hope this is the Gen where art can really shine through. I also hope that one of Sony's studios is working on a Zelda-esque structured game with WRPG elements crossed with God of War's combat alongside Journey's sand-engine for a desert region. As long as not every announced game is a shooter I will be over the moon with joy. ^_^

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I hope it's dual mode regular 1080p or fast 720p now !

There's processing speed to account for too. Although I guess they could always downsample the image from the camera and work on that instead of the full res image if they need to...

Reiko

Banned
I don't really understand teach-stuff. But I hope this is the Gen where art can really shine through. I also hope that one of Sony's studios is working on a Zelda-esque structured game with WRPG elements crossed with God of War's combat alongside Journey's sand-engine for a desert region. As long as not every announced game is a shooter I will be over the moon with joy. ^_^

Great Tech and Art goes hand in hand.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This would be a horrible idea IMO, which is why MS could be stupid enough to try it.
Works well enough for the Ipad. Noone's making you buy the new one and the never software still runs on the old machine, only if worse.

What is Durango's rumored RAM speed?
68 for DDR3 and ~100 for ESRAM. I think it's more than a little generous to add the two and call it a theoretical maximum though. You pretty much have to copy stuff to esram all the time, if you want to do anything, when there's only 32MB of it.

Ashes

Banned
Honestly don't get how they [ microsoft] get away with combined bandwidth, but they must know what they are doing.

Maybe, but that point is alot higher than 192gbps.

are you sure when a 660ti, which outperforms the ~7850 ps4 has, has 144 gb/s?

and not only that but you're likely aiming only for 1080p, where 660ti has to go way beyond that if called on?

i think bandwidth is the least of ps4's worries. put it that way. you'd be better off with more cu's than more bw.

or consider, granted the esram, but durango is going to try to work with 68 gb/s of main bw?

So what's the general consensus so far on PS4 vs Xbox 3 based on all these leaks/rumors? Are they going to be close enough to make next gen just as annoying as the beginning of this gen?

They'll be super close. PS4 from the leaks MIGHT have better memory access but so far that's about it.

omonimo

Banned
So now about backward; I mean, psn is full of deals, I can't believe ps4 future owners can't access to those. It's that absurd to expect it? To be optimistic, how many launching games could have? Surely not close the offer of the whole psn package.

KageMaru

Works well enough for the Ipad. Noone's making you buy the new one and the never software still runs on the old machine, only if worse.

True, but that effects how well the hardware can be utilized. Basically console optimizations are possible due to the thin layered API found on these consoles. By introducing multiple hardware SKUs that are all compatible with these games, you're moving over to a fatter API so devs don't have to write code for each hardware SKU.

I don't like that TBH.

slider

Not PM and not Thuway's source.

Ok, thanks for commenting on what could've been read as a snarky question.

What else has your source shared? Has it all been memory related? If you can't be bothered answering this one that's fine. I can do a post history search when I have time.

Top Bottom